Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel>Petrol

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well with the current BMW range in Australia, all the diesel equivalents of the petrol models have more power and torque and use less petrol, so in my opinion diesels have always been the way to go!!!

Unfortunately due to the still relatively poor diesel fuel quality here, we wont see the 225kW 535d/335d here for a while, but is pretty much a performance car with stupidly low fuel consumption!!!
    BroTek Performance Pty Ltd

Current:
    2003 Astra SRi Turbo & 2004 Barina SXi
    Ex's: 2001 Astra CD & 2001 Astra SRi 2.2, plus a long list of non Opels...

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately due to the still relatively poor diesel fuel quality here, we wont see the 225kW 535d/335d here for a while, but is pretty much a performance car with stupidly low fuel consumption!!!
    210kw actually Click here to enlarge

But with a price more than the twin turbo 335i who would buy one?
    And the fuel economy drops off significantly compared to the other diesels in the BMW range. Performance = fuel usage.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Opel is playing with a 1.9l DTI biturbo that has 177kW and about 440 torques. let's hope they're successful and that this is what's cooking for the next gen Astras.
    the fuel here is just fine. that's why you see more and more high performance engines comming over. the worst thing for diesels is winter cold, so as long fuel is within the new standards, these engines will feel better here than they ever will in Europe. 2 years ago i was there, in winter, at -27C... not the best time to fire up the 1.7 Isuzu turbodiesel i used to drive around...
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they'll be too many issues with drivetrain reliability with these power numbers we're looking at here....

I've never been a fan of oilers, BUT if we start seeing power levels of over 200kw for turbo diesel 4 potters, I'll give them serious consideration Click here to enlarge until then, petrol turbo all the way Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    200kw from a 4 cyl engine? how many are out there, when stock? let's see... STi and Evo... excuse my ignorance, but is there anything else, have i missed any?

it would be interesting to compare petrol vs. diesel engines that have the same power, same number of cylinders and same engine capacity. a good start would be to compare the SRi Turbo with the CDTi, both Holden, hatch and turbo. by tuning the diesel a bit, the way i did, the engine reaches the same power as the petrol turbo. one might argue that's not fair because the diesel is not stock anymore. but how would you compare them otherwise? don't you see manufacturers are not keen to bring them up to same power levels, because the choice would be a no brainer? why is the diesel advertised as a 8.9 seconds to 100km/h, when we all know that's bull, and it's actually low 8 seconds? they do it just to make the petrol turbo look much sexier at 7.8 seconds imho... we are being taken for fools when asked to chose petrol for power and diesel for torque, when actually the oiler has them both!
    my thoughts do not apply to very hot hatches like VXR, Mazda 3 MPS, WRX or others in the over $40k league. that's for the future biturbo 4 pot diesel engines to deal with, haha

what do you guys think? Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by dieselhead; 27th March 2007 at 12:44 PM.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by digifish Click here to enlarge
    I really think that is over-stretching the internals of the Astra petrol engine. If I had the choice (which I do and I am saying no), I'd take the tuned diesel over the VXR any day. The VXR engine and drivetrain really won't last long in that state of tune.

digifish
    The Astra G sri-t gearbox (F23) can handle around 450hp from what i knowClick here to enlarge the 6 speed box used on the AH models should easily match this

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    don't you see manufacturers are not keen to bring them up to same power levels, because the choice would be a no brainer? why is the diesel advertised as a 8.9 seconds to 100km/h, when we all know that's bull, and it's actually low 8 seconds? they do it just to make the petrol turbo look much sexier at 7.8 seconds imho... we are being taken for fools when asked to chose petrol for power and diesel for torque, when actually the oiler has them both! Click here to enlarge
    I have seen the CDTi get 7.9 in European testing, 8.6 is typical.

digifish
    Petrol is for the weak
    Click here to enlarge

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ???

and my dad's better than your dad.....

this thread is funny.
    my 2c.

Out of the box the STI makes the 200Kw from 8.0 compression, running 16-7psi. Very safe levels, and can be tracked hard all day long as stock, and driven to work the next morning without an oil change

very few dollars spent on turbo management, and exhaust, and it will see 260+ flywheel KW's no problems, and still be trackable all day, every day.

I have seen some cars with 240All.W.KW (yes at all 4 wheels) being tracked all day without skipping a beat, standard engine internals (just bolt ons and electronics, fuel rails injectors etc etc).

These things I know from personal experience, not from what a friend told a friend from which he read in a magazine...

I havent seen a diesel in a 2.0l capacity come close to these figures, nor this punishment.

My anecdotal experience tells me that capacity for capacity, a diesel is not as powerful as the petrol equivalent.

all that said, bear in mind I am not bagging the diesel at all. I'm actually looking at purchasing one sometime this year (or maybe a Lotus Elise.. all depends on a few little things) to have for a couple of years. I just think that we need to be a tad realistic about it's potential and existing tuning experience on the market. (again, I know that DTUK is great, but there are many more petrol tuners and experience with the petrol motor out there)....
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by entice Click here to enlarge
    ???

and my dad's better than your dad.....

this thread is funny.
    my 2c.

Out of the box the STI makes the 200Kw from 8.0 compression, running 16-7psi. Very safe levels, and can be tracked hard all day long as stock, and driven to work the next morning without an oil change

very few dollars spent on turbo management, and exhaust, and it will see 260+ flywheel KW's no problems, and still be trackable all day, every day.

I have seen some cars with 240All.W.KW (yes at all 4 wheels) being tracked all day without skipping a beat, standard engine internals (just bolt ons and electronics, fuel rails injectors etc etc).

These things I know from personal experience, not from what a friend told a friend from which he read in a magazine...

I havent seen a diesel in a 2.0l capacity come close to these figures, nor this punishment.

My anecdotal experience tells me that capacity for capacity, a diesel is not as powerful as the petrol equivalent.

all that said, bear in mind I am not bagging the diesel at all. I'm actually looking at purchasing one sometime this year (or maybe a Lotus Elise.. all depends on a few little things) to have for a couple of years. I just think that we need to be a tad realistic about it's potential and existing tuning experience on the market. (again, I know that DTUK is great, but there are many more petrol tuners and experience with the petrol motor out there)....
    Torque with me about those WRXs.....leave the power out of it, quote me the torque figures, whats the fuel consumption on those WRXs.....15L/100km? Click here to enlarge

We're not talking about power here, we're talking about Power/$ ratio, capiche?

And diesels put out more power per litre than any petrol can ever dream of....eg. the BMW [email protected] power

(note: thats not even the sports version, thats just a normally tuned oiler....ghahhahaha....i wet my pants)
    Last edited by bornwild; 27th March 2007 at 03:59 PM.

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm.. no.. Kw's are more important on a track.. last time i looked cars on a track have their neck wrung out, and dont fodder around at 2000rpm

Power is a multpilication of torque and revs.

if i was concerned about towing a boat, then I'd be more interested in the torque figures...

btw, that STI with the rear wheel power returns under 13l/100Km's in day-day driving
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Thread Information