Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Diesel>Petrol

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by entice Click here to enlarge
    I drove a Manual SRI 5 door yesterday aswell..

Must say, it's ahead in teh race for my money. Those seats are just brilliant compared to the standard fair.

And, it's a silky smooth engione, nice power delivery. Admittedly, not as much torque as the diesel, but a much broader power/torque band in teh rev range. Well, that's how it felt to drive
    I'll agree with you on that, and not just because I own one either. The effective power band is roughly 1,500 to 6,000: which is a very broad spread. The first time I drove it I found myself doing 80+ in 60 zones because there was no sensation of speed, no noise from the engine, nothing.

I don't think it is super-fast in the vein of a SRi turbo, but it is effortless in terms of mid-range power which is where we spend most of our time driving. Economical too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoever compares the CDTi astra to the VXR is a tool beyond the borders of this universe.

VXR is in the hot hatch segment.....whereas the CDTi is in the....HATCH segment........notice the difference?!....there is no 'HOT'.

When Opel brings out the OPC Diesel Astra...that's when we can start comparing them.

And yeah, I have to go test drive that 2.2l engine....though I'd expect the economy to be around 9-10l/100km en route to my uni, from my house.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bornwild Click here to enlarge
    Whoever compares the CDTi astra to the VXR is a tool beyond the borders of this universe.

VXR is in the hot hatch segment.....whereas the CDTi is in the....HATCH segment........notice the difference?!....there is no 'HOT'.

When Opel brings out the OPC Diesel Astra...that's when we can start comparing them.

And yeah, I have to go test drive that 2.2l engine....though I'd expect the economy to be around 9-10l/100km en route to my uni, from my house.
    My 2.2 automatic has done almost 3,000km, and fuel economy has remained constant throughout. In Canberra peak hour driving it does 9 l/100km and on the highway it does 7.5. Of course Canberra is very free-flowing, although it is still hard on petrol 'cause you are either doing 80 or braking to a traffic light or accelerating from a traffic light back up to 80 again. The 80 - 0 - 80 sequence you can repeat several times on the way to work.

My auto possibly uses more than a manual, although in non-sport mode it changes up very early and lets the engine torque do its job, so maybe it isn't that much thirstier.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guys, have a look at this comparo. Not easy to read if you don't speak German, but the main figures speak for themselves. The comparison is between the new BMW 123d and the good old Golf GTI. Both hatches, turbo and about 2.0 litres capacity. Even the power rating is identical, at about 200 HP (147 kW). Sure, the GTI wins (just) in the end, probably because it is more practical and cheaper. Let's keep the discussion strictly about engines... Look at power, torque, engine capacity and fuel economy.

http://www.autozeitung.de/online/ren...p?render=78619
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and what about cost?
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What about cost entice? The Golf is cheaper, that's because it is a VW while the 123d is a BMW.
    Can't wait to see GMs twinturbo Diesel!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the article(I speak german). The BMW lost cause it has less passenger space and boot space and is not as practical and the golf is the more comfortable car. Engine wise it won.

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes.. but how much over the petrol equivalent is the diesel..

ie, at what cost diesel V Petrol
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Petrol drinks 3l more whilst performing less.

I think the BMW123D there was 30k Euros while the GTi was 27k Euros. That's purely cause it's a BMW...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    entice, I guess the correct comparo would have been between 123d and Audi's A3 with the same 2.0 petrol turbo. Then you have the price equity, too.
    Also, let's not forget the beemer is RWD, GTI being FWD... That additional shaft cost some money ya know.

Thread Information