Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation [NSW] Roadside Drug Testing

From 15 December 2006 police will have powers to carry out roadside drug testing on any driver, rider or supervising licence holder in NSW

taken from NSW RTA website

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ex.html?hhid=1

Driving with the presence of an illicit drug

A roadside drug test will be used to enforce the new offence of driving with the presence of an illicit drug.

What drugs will be tested?

- Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active component of cannabis.
    - Methylamphetamine, also known as speed, ice, crystal meth, or base.
    - Methylenedioxymethylamphetamine (MDMA), also known as ecstasy.

How will testing work?

- Police will conduct a preliminary oral fluid test through the window of your vehicle.
    - You will be required to lick the test pad of the device. A result will be known in about five minutes.
    - If you test negative you will be able to drive away.
    - If you test positive you will have to get out of your vehicle and go with a police officer to provide a second oral fluid sample in the police support vehicle.
    - The second sample will be tested using another oral fluid screening device. It should take about 20 minutes.
    - If you test positive to this test you will not be charged at this time, however, you will be prohibited from driving for 24 hours by Police. The remaining portion of your second oral fluid sample will be sent to a laboratory for confirmatory analysis.
    - If the presence of one or more of these three drugs is confirmed by the laboratory, you will receive a Court Attendance Notice within a few weeks of your roadside drug test with the charge of driving with the presence of an illicit drug.

Penalties of new offences http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...landdrugs.html
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch.

Is this in NSW only for now? I knew they were talking about bringing it in - just didn't know when.

They will go nuts with this too - and probably catch a lot of people.

Say you smoked pot/did speed three weeks prior to being drug tested, would it still show in your system? Or is this only able to detect whether you have within a certain small time frame, say, 24 hours?

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had this in Vic for a while. Caused a big stir!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the moral to the story... do cocaine Click here to enlarge

kidding!
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has it done any good Wayne?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has done a lot of good. Get's the idiots who drive under the influence off our roads. They've booked close to 500 people in the two years since it was introduced, and that's only the people who have been caught...
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got pulled over for one of these on Sunday night in the City (Melb.) along King St. bloody annoying as the drug test takes a full 5 minutes, was stuck there for over 10 minutes in total Click here to enlarge

I had no idea it took so long, as the breath-a-liser test only takes seconds and I had the opprtunity to turn off, but thought meh won't take long.....

I've since been told that it used to take a full 15 minutes - what a real pain that would've been.

It did help that one of the coppers was interested in my Calibra and some chatting helped pass the time a bit quicker Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a top idea and its about time that NSW Police has had the powers to enforce such an act. At the end of the day, if you are doing nothing wrong, there is nothing to worry about.

There will always be people who will take the risk and continue to offend or avoid random testing. But if it takes one fool off the road and prevents them from killing some innocent person, then its all worth the effort.
    Click here to enlarge
    Ex Opel Owner: 2006 Opel Tigra Twin Top

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    I got pulled over for one of these on Sunday night in the City (Melb.) along King St. bloody annoying as the drug test takes a full 5 minutes, was stuck there for over 10 minutes in total Click here to enlarge
    It did help that one of the coppers was interested in my Calibra and some chatting helped pass the time a bit quicker Click here to enlarge
    Was she hot? did you get her number? Click here to enlarge... (didnt know you liked wimmens in uniform..or handcuffs Click here to enlarge ) Calibra's pull the honeys Click here to enlarge

does bother me in the slightest as i dont do that carp.

i do recall when they first introduced the drug tests wherever it was, the first 3 people who were busted name's were put in the paper, and not only did they all sue the paper, 2 of them demanded blood tests and were cleared completely, the last guy admitted to smokin some grass the weekend prior, but swore blind he hadnt had any for days before the test.

i hope they have improved the accuracy...cos if it happens to me i definately wanna go nuts at the officer when it comes back negative for wastin gmy time Click here to enlarge
    Subaru MY08 STi - Alpine white :whistle:
    Hammond to Clarkson: "if the STi is faster your gonna look like such a knob!"

209kw at all 4.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahahaha I wish - love sexy women in uniform Click here to enlarge but they were all blokes, so just stuck to car chatter Click here to enlarge

I too think it's a good thing, but it is an inconvenience to those of us who are indeed 'clean' Click here to enlarge

And yes Nik, you are correct, Calibras pull the chicks, but believe me, my turbo vert is even better, it just knocks their socks off Click here to enlarge I love it Click here to enlarge ie: when the missus ain't around Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information