garrr its just one thing after the other..

was driving home today, about 5 minutes from my house, when my car lost power for a second or 2 then went back to normal, but as i lost power i looked in the rear vision mirror, and to my shock was the this massive plume of smoke!! and im talking a really thick plume of smoke.. so i pulled her over and had a look.. the smoke was coming from the exhaust.. there was also what sounded like a rattling sound in the exhaust..

im thinking ive blown the cat.. but then, i didnt think you could blow a cat!! unless theres something wrong with the engine??

only thing i can think of is today i had to top up the oil, as for some reason after the last serice, old mate didnt tighten the sump plug and it was drippin a little oil.. now when i topped it up, i did go slightly over the max mark on the dipstick, but im only talking like half a centremetre over the max line.. could this possibly be the reason? too much oil in there??

in the 5 mins to drive home from where it happened, there was no more smoke.. the engine was running smoothly, it was like nothing had happened, except i now have a rattle in the exhaust when i accelerate..
Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!