Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew888 Click here to enlarge
    Lets hope they dont follow the Europeans and add a DPF ( Diesel Particle filter) as Vauxhall are having quite a few problems in the UK with this system Click here to enlarge

Andrew
    The auto has the DPF the manual doesn't. What sort of problems?

If they offered the manuals engine (4 valve vs 2 for the auto) in an Auto model I am sure we would see even more sold.

The manual diesel Astra is a joy to drive, particularly when it gets hilly Click here to enlarge

digifish
    Petrol is for the weak
    Click here to enlarge

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by digifish Click here to enlarge
    I'd like to see a rolling drag between a CDTi, SRI and VRX

digifish
    Astra 888 1.9CDTI v's Petrol VXR Video Click here to enlarge

I have just sold my Triple 8 as the cars with the Green system are producing more power then the Triple 8 with re-map Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

CLICK HERE

Oh, and the re-mapped T8 smokes a lot more than the GREEN/CRD2 systems too Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    wow thats impressive
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Poita Click here to enlarge
    wow thats impressive
    Im Not sure if Peter is a member of opelaus.com but he recently sent us this email

CRD2 On Astra 1.9 CDTI
    From Peter Loone - Australia - 22nd Feb 07

A track day with some mates, one in a Boster S and one in a WRX STI.

After about 35 laps (ie lunchtime) they were both down to less than 1/2 a tank and had to go back into town to refill.

At the end of the afternoon session, they were down to less than a quarter of a tank again and had to go back into town to fill up before driving home.

I drove home, without any refills, and still had almost 1/2 a tank left.

So I hear you suggest that their lap times were probably worth the extra fuel

Let's just say that they were as surprised as I was:

WRX STI 1min 15sec
    Boxter S 1min 16 sec
    Astra CDTI with CRD2: 1min 18sec

After declaring that next time I was turning off traction control, putting on low profile tyres, and putting in heavy duty clutch fluid, both may friends were looking worried.

I can't bear to take the box down a notch for normal driving, but my wife is getting a bit ****ed off with the torque steer when she has to drive it on long trips, so I may have to submit. The reason she takes it on long trips instead of the Volvo S40 T4, is that it uses 1/2 the fuel on the highway.

I never realised being eco-friendly could be so much fun.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    well, we'll see how good the green thingie is. mine should be on it's way to Adelaide by now.

in regards to Holden Astra CDTi sales, there's something i find puzzling. why would you sell a car that has sport and lowered supension, upgraded brakes and a cracker of an engine as a fuel saver only? economy is the only thing they talk about in the ads. this is not your miserable scarce fuel user like a 1.4L petrol or something! you can really have the cake and eat it with a high performance diesel car.
    another thing is, for aussies diesel is something slow and noisy, like the old Toyota Landcruisers. my mates are simply blown away when they see how this little monster pulls uphill. see, i'm doing my share to change such a wrong perception.

on the other hand, i like diesel Astras being rare. the look on those bogan faces driving V6s when i take off at the lights, is indeed priceless. hope the green system will allow me to take on older V8s, too. Click here to enlarge

my advice is: don't think of buying a CDTi only to save on fuel. that's silly, do the mats and find you're much better off in a Yaris or something like that. i would rather compare it with the Astra 2.0 Turbo by the way it pulls in 3rd, 4th and 5th at just 2,000 rpm (flame me now, i'm ready!). anyway, take one for a test drive and see if you have fun behind the wheel. at the end of the day that's the only thing that matters if you're an enthusiast.
    Last edited by dieselhead; 4th March 2007 at 10:11 PM.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    my advice is don't think of buying a CDTi only to save on fuel. that's silly
    Indeed, I bought mine because I wanted something fun to drive. I wasn't even thinking about fuel consumption. The car won on pure driving experience.

digifish
    Petrol is for the weak
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    well, we'll see how good the green thingie is. mine should be on it's way to Adelaide by now.
    Sure is Click here to enlarge if you cant get a hold of Joe, u can always give me a shout Click here to enlarge

Andrew

For the record, ive seen a Green powered CDTI 5 Door up against a VXR recently, and once they got moving there was nothing between them :clap::dance:

Diesel is the future Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to add my voice to digifish and dieselheads. The performance of the CDTi was what I wanted, all that torque down low were it can be used, rather than way up the rev range were you have to rev the tits off it.

And in outside the cities (where I live) it means you can potter around in sixth gear and keep up with traffic if your feeling mellow, or knock it down to 4 and put the wind up all the local falcadores.

Mintaka

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew888 Click here to enlarge
    Astra 888 1.9CDTI v's Petrol VXR Video Click here to enlarge

Oh, and the re-mapped T8 smokes a lot more than the GREEN/CRD2 systems too Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, just watched the video and my first impression was how much smog the diesel blew out the back!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    well, you know what they say, there's no smoke without fire. Click here to enlarge
    seriously now, that's all you can say after watching that video?! how about the fact the much cheaper diesel is running so close to the mighty VXR?
    don't really get it when people say that, you know, diesels are good but they make all that smoke... so? i don't care cause i'm looking forward when i take off Click here to enlarge
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Thread Information