PDA

View Full Version : Don't Ya Hate That...!!!

Mr T
1st September 2006, 06:44 PM
Don't you just hate it when you go to the shop to buy an ice cream in winter for your pregnant wife and just as you're on the way back you see a 300C with hugh chrome wheels and roaring up the highway going the other way.

So you think to yourself...I'd like to drive next to that car. So, you chuck a quick 3 point turn at the next set of lights and off you go. Several hundred meters up the road he gets a red light and you pull up beside him. Just as you dare to purve at the wheels the passenger window with 20% tint on it rolls down and the pasenger says...would you like to drive next to us...So, I said...What the **** do you recon...!!!

Lights green, off we go. It takes him a bit to get the 22" Chromies rolling so I've got his 5.7 Litre Hemi roaring in my ear. Time for second gear...and WTF...where has second gear gone , I think i left it all over the road. I finally found second, he's now about a car in front and I'm pissed 'cause he promised to drive beside me. It didn't matter what I done he just stayed exactly 1 (very long) car lengh in front.

After a while I decided he wasn't worth trying to drive next to any more, so I gave him the aussie salute, beeped the horn and we parted ways. I then took my sorry arse home and handed over the (now) liquid Calipo.

Don't Ya Just Hate That...:mad:

Shaun
1st September 2006, 06:52 PM
GOLD STORY THERE Glenn

bill142
1st September 2006, 07:00 PM
What colour was it? And do you know the rego? I saw a black one down here with NSW plates the other day. It was dumped a few inches and sitting on huge chromies.

CAL.16V
1st September 2006, 07:21 PM
cool story, ashame you could drive next to him lol.. arent those things well over 2 tonnes? hehe

oneightoo
2nd September 2006, 02:10 AM
dont ya hsate it wsahen ya drunk ad ya donyrt know what thell tya just read..

SSS_Hoon
2nd September 2006, 11:22 AM
are you sure it was the v8 version and not the v6 version man?

and they are fairly qwik even though they are heavy the 6.1L can do the 0-100 in under 6 secs i think 5.1 or some crap like that.

i so want the wagon version but aint got a spare 70k to get one.

SSS_Hoon

Mr T
2nd September 2006, 10:09 PM
Na it was the V8 man, I doubt it was the 6.1 litre though...more like the 5.7L

dustbug
3rd September 2006, 10:29 AM
The new SRT-8 versions 6.1L claimed to do 0-100 in 5.5 seconds.

BUT

All car mags that have test drived it say they could do the sprint 0-100 in 5 seconds flat!

Pretty cool for a car weighing so much. They got 315kw.

The 5.7L have around 250kw and do the 0-100 sprint in around 6.2 seconds.

My mate and I raced an SRT-8 the other day off the lights. We were in his dads Kia Magentis (havn't been released yet, his dad works for Kia) and what a car (the SRT8 i mean). Just sitting there at the lights you could hear the car rumbling. And of course, he absolutly nailed us. Well, what can you do....

CAL.16V
3rd September 2006, 11:21 AM
didnt think they were out yet with the hemi motors

KID_SRi
3rd September 2006, 07:30 PM
The Jeep Grand Cherkee(sp?) & Chrysler 300c and the Wierd Covertable Thing. Run a EcoHemi. It runs on 4 cylinders in stop start traffic, Cruises on 6 cylinders and Heavy Throttle runs all 8 with Great Haste.

Mr T
4th September 2006, 06:07 PM
The 5.7L have around 250kw and do the 0-100 sprint in around 6.2 seconds.

That would be the one...;)

rjastra
4th September 2006, 06:56 PM
actually it works like....

The engine operates on all eight cylinders for acceleration, city traffic and heavy loads, and four cylinders for cruising at highway speeds.

So for most owners they probably would rarely, if ever, get it into economical 4 cylinder mode around town.

btm
5th September 2006, 08:44 AM
actually it works like....

So for most owners they probably would rarely, if ever, get it into economical 4 cylinder mode around town.
who wants to only use 4 of its cylinders only... ;)

:p

Mr T
5th September 2006, 10:16 AM
It's called Torque On Demand (TOD) and will be available on VEII

rjastra
5th September 2006, 11:16 AM
It's called Torque On Demand (TOD) and will be available on VEII

Isn't it DOD (displacement on demand)? And there is no certainty that the VE2 will get it.

SSS_Hoon
5th September 2006, 01:08 PM
Holden will be calling Displacement on Demand.

others use different termination for it.

its a very good idea.

our golf has FSI completly different but very fuel economical the other night cruising at 80kh the avg fuel use thingo would sit on about 2-3l/100 and when at 110kph it is about 3-4l/100 not all the time though it fluctuates, apparently depends on how good the fuel is as too how long it will be in that mode for.

SSS_Hoon

Mr T
5th September 2006, 04:26 PM
Isn't it DOD (displacement on demand)? And there is no certainty that the VE2 will get it.

Depending on the manufacturer...

LS6 doesn't comply with Euro 4 emissions laws due here in Jan 2008, so the engine will need to be updated to the one with TOD (or DOD) which ever one you want.

rjastra
6th September 2006, 08:34 AM
LS6 doesn't comply with Euro 4 emissions laws due here in Jan 2008, so the engine will need to be updated to the one with TOD (or DOD) which ever one you want.

I dont think the regular commodores v8s (L98) use the same engine as the outgoing VZ (L76). The current 6 L in the VE doesn't have the provision for DOD. Ironicially the one in the VZ did!

I looked up TOD. It usually refers to AWD systems :)

I remember an article about the fuel saving features for the Commodore. For the price DOD was not particularly effective. There seemed to be better savings going down the direct injection route. This seems more likely in the V6.

KID_SRi
6th September 2006, 08:59 AM
Torque On Demand is used by Isuzu in the Jackeroo(Big Horn) & Monterey.
The Vehicle drives on the rear Wheels, But Traction loss is senced it tranfers the power to the Front Wheels.

Mr T
6th September 2006, 04:56 PM
I dont think the regular commodores v8s (L98) use the same engine as the outgoing VZ (L76). The current 6 L in the VE doesn't have the provision for DOD. Ironicially the one in the VZ did!

Sorry, my mistake and thank you for the correction, the L98 and L76 dont comply where as the LS6 does and the LS6 is compatible with TOD.