PDA

View Full Version : All about the driver...!

FLY-SRi
9th May 2004, 06:25 PM
Hey guys, my mate was out cruizn with a mate of his who drives a S15 with some minor mods, they ended up at 3 different set of lights where a 03 Rexy joined in, and believe it or not but the SRI-T whipped em both at all 3 lights by 2,3 car lengths...WRX came second...oh by way my mates SRI-T was stock apart from KN panel filter...the s15 wheel spun too much at take off...dunno bout the WRX must hav been a shit house driver...

Jass
9th May 2004, 06:42 PM
Go the little Turbo :D

YuSuF
9th May 2004, 08:35 PM
Good win
who wouldnt expect that though

BUGEYE
10th May 2004, 11:56 AM
who wouldnt expect that though
ME :oops:

FLY-SRi
10th May 2004, 03:20 PM
hey im not baggin the WRX i reckon they rock, but like the topic say's "All about the driver..... btw i was pretty shocked to... :P, hey at least teh rexy beat the s15

astra_city
10th May 2004, 08:29 PM
yep it all comes down to the driver once that red light goes out :)
that 03 rex driver would have stuffed up his launch...then not having the technology of the Astra T's mighty torque monster and suffering lag...would have been too far behind by then.

Am I right Bugeye :wink:

BUGEYE
11th May 2004, 08:55 AM
Am I right Bugeye :wink:
On the money bro :lol:

astra_city
11th May 2004, 06:52 PM
How's your rexy going Bugeye?? Is it an 01 or 02 model? Done any mods to it??
My dad had an 01 rex with Unichip and 3 inch turbo back exhaust for about 6 months which was great...then we upgraded to an 02 STi...and fitted a 3 inch turbo back exhaust and Ecutek re-map to that :twisted:

Lag on the STi was fairly bad stock...but the minute you do such light mods to it, there is basically no lag left at all! That's why I get so annoyed when I read the magazines go on and on and on about the lag. I think we ran a 13.7 with our 01 rex (not 100% sure...quite a long time ago now) and a 13.0 with the STi - but that was with mass wheelspin on slippery surface!

Later man.

BarinaSRi
11th May 2004, 10:55 PM
Driver plays a big part when racing thru hills and bendy roads but when in a straight line if the other guy has power and is racing a opel i dont think it matters how good the driver is in the opel.

If u launch the rex rite u wont get any lag but the clutch gets destoried then u buy a better clutch then the box goes and so on and so on... hold the rex on the limiter and drop the clutch perfect launch:>

astra_city
12th May 2004, 12:14 AM
yeah true - Astra T driver needs to get a near perfect launch to have any sort of chance. But the rex driver is the one who will win it or lose it for themselves. But if they know what they're doing...shouldn't have any problems winning against a stock Astra T (03 that is...01 would be pretty close). In the STi after the mods...slip from about 3k and you would beat almost anything. Although every now and then it would be fun doing a big 5k-6k launch against like an HSV and making them remember your number plate :D

BarinaSRi
12th May 2004, 12:29 AM
heh may launch good but wont be pulling away from a hsv mate

astra_city
12th May 2004, 01:13 AM
heh may launch good but wont be pulling away from a hsv mate

what car are you talking about?? Our old STi??

We hosed HSV's in it...it ran a high 12 (12.8-12.9) 1/4 mile... I don't make this stuff up...this is from experience :wink:

BUGEYE
12th May 2004, 09:06 AM
astra_city - yeah my car is an MY02 and is pretty stock at the moment. I don't know how it's going at the moment cause I don't have a license for another month so she's sitting in the garage collecting dust :cry:
I've only got a CAI, air intake resonator removed and lowered at this stage but once I get my ticket back will either mod it or upgrade to an 02 STI - like your dads old one. I really want a silver or whote 02 STI with the original wheels painted black :D
The 01's went like a bit of a pig but the 02's are much better as they changed the gearing on them and a few other bits and pieces. I don't have too many problems keeping up with my mates 04.
BarinaSRi - rev to 6000 rpm and drop the clutch in a rex and you'll be picking up pieces of your diff/driveshaft for km's up the road :? Due to the AWD system you must SLIP the clutch to get a good launch or else it will just put heaps of strain of the driveshaft and bog down.
HSV's (unless your talking 300 kw GTS) don't give us too many problems, obviously past 140 km/h would be a different story but it's usually all over by then. I'm more concerned these days about S15's, SRiT's etc etc than a V8 taxi :lol:

FLY-SRi
12th May 2004, 09:13 AM
Does any1 know how much punishment the clutch and the gearbox can take on the SRI-T?

Jass
12th May 2004, 10:19 AM
They say around 270bhp is its limit, or close to 240kw.

But i think that the cluch would be first to go

tofo
12th May 2004, 10:20 AM
Does any1 know how much punishment the clutch and the gearbox can take on the SRI-T?I don't know - let met rev it to 6000rpm and drop to the cluth on my way home tonight and see what happens.*

*All consequential and inconsequential damages shall be charged to the cajoing party - in this case FLY-SRI
:P

astra_city
12th May 2004, 06:25 PM
heheh
at the drags in the water for the burnout (i had my semi-slicks on at this stage so needed to warm them up a little)...I did a half slip/half dump of the clutch from about 4k rpm. No worries at all :D