PDA

View Full Version : Astra Flip key

DirtyHarry
28th August 2006, 10:28 AM
Hi Guys,

I tried calling the dealers and even the holden "customer service" centre in melbourne and no one can give me a definate answer on this.

I have an 05 Astra classic and the key blade is the same as on the Ah astra flip key, so that can be cut no problem. the other question is, can this AH astra flip key be programmed to my immobiliser? the frequency on my key and the ah is the same (says 433mhz).

Does anyone have a definate answer?

cheers

jerrypufflewell
28th August 2006, 10:46 AM
No I don't, but I have heard of a few europeans with flip-keys for Gs, some of these have been modified versions though hence no definate answer... Not sure which ones require modification.

blueraven
28th August 2006, 10:46 AM
yes, but holden are generally retard bastards when it comes to helping ANYONE, so even though i know they can do it, and i know here in WA it will cost you $130 and you will have bring them the car with the key and leave it with them for the day. i dont know if they would do it simply because they know it "not for your car".

i have asked for something i know they could do to my car, told them money was no option, and i would sign any disclaimer they wanted me to before doing it....they still just said "no, we wont do it as its not standard on your car."

jerrypufflewell
28th August 2006, 10:47 AM
Can't locksmiths reprogram them?

DirtyHarry
28th August 2006, 10:49 AM
the transponder in the key should be pretty much the same. and all it would be doing is just sending out a signal to the immobiliser. question is, wether the transponder in the Ah flip key is or works with the immobiliser module in my car.

DirtyHarry
28th August 2006, 11:00 AM
commodores yes. astra's not yet

RudeOne
28th August 2006, 12:14 PM
I have found an article on how to do this mod, you can just move your transponder into the key, so all you buy from holden is the case.

Ill try and find it now.

RudeOne
28th August 2006, 12:18 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astra-g.de%2Ftippsundtricks%2Ftippsundtricks.htm&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

thats the one, its been translated from german, english is not so great.

DirtyHarry
29th August 2006, 12:10 PM
yeah youhave to move the whole circuitry, including the transponder.
but anyway just in case any one wants to know.
i bought a blank key. took it to holden. we tried to program the transponder via tech 2. wouldnt pick it up. also tried to see if we could program the remote central locking thing as well and that didnt work.
so in the end, you need an Ah astra to work with that key.

Clint
29th August 2006, 04:56 PM
i havent seen either of these keys, but can you take the transponder circuit out of your key and put it in the new key after you take the transponder out of the new key? are they the same, if so it should be easy and i want one!

DirtyHarry
29th August 2006, 06:30 PM
the circuitry is different and i think your talking about the central locking circuitry. the transponder part, which is like a small magnet looking thing thing is i think the same size in both keys, however getting to that in the flip key is a bit more difficult.

Clint
29th August 2006, 08:33 PM
i was thinking maybe u could take everything out if the flip key, the little chip and the circuits and maybe they would be the same as the normal key and then take everything out of the normal key and put it into the flip key. but it couldnt be that easy lol so im guessing it wont work

DirtyHarry
30th August 2006, 07:00 AM
nah not that easy. you have to file the old board to make it fit in the new key. then you also have to un solder the old buttons and make them fit in the new key. its all in that german doco.

NUTTTR
30th August 2006, 09:49 AM
The coding is different between the 2 keys. Likewise the ECU's are slightly different too to accomodate this and CANBUS. So no, you can't use the AH key transponder, you do have to transplant it across (from the G's key). This is not an easy mod, quite difficult in fact. You are MUCH better off getting a VW key and using that as the keyblade fits better and so does the switches, etc. Downside is astra key is cheap. about $100 or so from memory. VW key (mk4 flip key) is more like 450. So go to ebay UK and grab one for $50!

DirtyHarry
30th August 2006, 01:31 PM
well i got the astra key for $70 from holden. and the other issue is that the remote central locking didnt work with this mk5 key either. so theres another thing. however the blade of they is exactly the same what i have on my key so that wouldnt be a problem.
anyway ill go and source some vw keys.

InsaneAsylum
30th August 2006, 02:04 PM
sounds like more trouble than it's worth.... at the end of the day i enjoy my key jabbing into my leg :p

DirtyHarry
30th August 2006, 02:08 PM
i should have had the dealer try this.

put my key in with the transponder and then try to sync the remote locking with the new key.
if that worked than all it could be a matter of is just putting in my transponder in the new key.

damm.

oneightoo
31st August 2006, 09:10 AM
everytime you guys say the word transponder i think james bond for some reason..

agree with the one they call insane.. it's a lot of effort for a key..

InsaneAsylum
31st August 2006, 11:24 AM
everytime you guys say the word transponder i think james bond for some reason..

agree with the one they call insane.. it's a lot of effort for a key..

if i did that mod, the key would be worth more than my car