PDA

View Full Version : csa tuners.

WLD-18L
24th August 2006, 06:12 PM
Which Ones ? TYPE: CSA for Top pic, Advanti for Bellow pic
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/v3LaRdi/18s.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/v3LaRdi/18-1s.jpg

in real life i think the advantis look best and iam probably going to go with them. give me your opinion anyways.

thanks.

MAD-16V
25th August 2006, 05:32 AM
If you drop the car a good 4 inches the 17s will look bigger :)

Wattie
25th August 2006, 08:44 AM
astra G SRIs come with 17s.

SSS_Hoon
25th August 2006, 10:00 AM
astra G SRIs come with 17s.

that is what i thought.

bu u have too drop it though.

SSS_Hoon

MK
25th August 2006, 10:27 AM
That's what i will have on my Astra H, 17's is all i will be putting on...if you have made up your mind and want 17's just put 17's on, just because someone told you they will look "small" does not comprehend.

I was and still am looking for my 17's, i just can't decide on a type of wheel...i made my mind up about 17's because of ride quality and the price of tyres. 18" tyres are quite expensive and that's what i want to avoid, spending excessive $$$ on rubber.
I was even contemplating on getting 16's but i know that my budget can stretch towards 17" wheels and tyres and when it comes time to replace tyres i will be comfortable with shelling out the $$$ for 17's

Many tyre and wheel shops say the same thing, get what you comfortable with buying and owning, i had few of my mates say the opposite and telling me to get 18's or even 19's...but its funny how when its time to get the registration done and the tyres are bold or tyre is damaged they either put their old 15's back on or buy second hand tyres because they can't afford anything else.

i honestly believe the 17's will look good on your car. by the way, your car looks good.

lowey22
25th August 2006, 01:55 PM
they look good mate. and 17s will be fine. ive got 18s now (had 17s previously) and while the 18s obviously look bigger, i dont think there's that much different, it does depend on the type of wheels IMO and lowering the car will also help.

WLD-18L
25th August 2006, 04:58 PM
thanks for the advice guys. keep it up.

my astra is a daily driver and is currently looking ndirty as. i cant wait to get the rims i just dont whant to get the 17' and be dissapointed with the look (size wise)

RudeOne
25th August 2006, 07:12 PM
i think lowering it is the key.

Just remember the rolling diameter will be the same, and the gap between the wheel and the gaurd will be the same, so lowering it makes it the rims look larger then they are.

JR
25th August 2006, 11:08 PM
stick with 17s in my opinon - mainly cause of price n handling.
sure an astra on 18s looks good - but its not as nimble n agile as an astra on 17s...or 16s

also the thickness of the tyre (35, 40 or 45s) makes a difference to how "big" ur rims appear to b.

i upgraded my astra from 14s to 17s, but my 17s looked small az - till i lowered. its not any bigger, but filling the wheel archs makes a big diff.

before lowering
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/jrappai/Da%20Car/side.jpg

after
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/jrappai/Da%20Car/Shoot03.jpg

EL BURITO
25th August 2006, 11:46 PM
Well i would say the 17's u have chose look good mate. and lowering dose make a difference. i wouldn't go to 18's cos the tyer wall would be to small and with some of the speeds i hit corners i need to tyers to flex.

RudeOne
26th August 2006, 12:32 PM
DAM lowering makes all the difference, JR your car looks sweet after the chop chop!!!

stake
27th August 2006, 10:26 PM
Here's a quick lowering job

WLD-18L
28th August 2006, 05:43 PM
Ive narrowed it down to 2 types of wheels. CSA Tuners 17x7 (pictured) and the Advanti MEDUSA which is avaliable in 17x7 18x7.5 18x8 and even 19x8 which will all fit on my astra G. the pic of the Advanti's will be up soon. so you can help me make a decision.

Iam also going to spray my side skirts silver and find an astra G Turbo front bar and a irmscher grill. should look mint when the mods are complete.

Stay Tuned.

MAD-16V
29th August 2006, 01:05 PM
No way you would fit 19x8 inch wheels under your car without some extensive bodywork -

What offset have you asked for in all sizes?

Wraith
29th August 2006, 01:29 PM
They look good, the key to it, is the design of the actual rim lowering as others have mentioned will also help the overall look, but not do much to make the wheels look bigger.

Those ones you want above have the spokes going right to the outer edge of the rim, which will make them look bigger than other styles where the spokes go inside the dish.

18's in that style will look great.

As for what will and won't fit - I've got sets of 17's 18's 19's and 20's, ATM my Astra's on 20's with no problems at all !!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you have the right width and offset to suit the application, you won't have any problems.

Once you go to an 18" rim or larger on an Astra G, stick to a rim width of no larger than 7.5" with an offset (ET) of no lower than 43.

This will work even if the car is lowered up to 40mm.

If you go as big as 19" or 20" rims - same applies to width, but I recommend a minimum offset of 45 and up to 50 for best results.

Depending on how low you go with lowering, you will also need to modify the inner plastic gaurd liners - I have with my 20's.

The range of wheels becomes more limited here and you may have to spend the money for custom made wheels - at least you'll be unique.

maloo97
29th August 2006, 04:13 PM
wraith 20's on a G wow,

Any chance of a pic ?

WLD-18L
29th August 2006, 05:17 PM
When i said fit i ment stud pattern. what exactly is the Offset or ET. iam not 100% sure. When i get the new pic with the car fitted with the Advantis MEDUSA's ill put it up. ill be getting the Advantis when i get the $$$

Updated Pics soon..

MAD-16V
29th August 2006, 05:49 PM
I second the vote to see a picture of an astra G on 20s.

Wraith
30th August 2006, 12:52 PM
When i said fit i ment stud pattern. what exactly is the Offset or ET. iam not 100% sure. When i get the new pic with the car fitted with the Advantis MEDUSA's ill put it up. ill be getting the Advantis when i get the $$$

Updated Pics soon..

I see now.

If your Astra is a 4 stud, there are actually many choices of wheels up to 18".

If it's a five stud - PCD 110, choices are more limited.

But remember to stick to the width and offset specs I've mentioned.

Advanti Medusa's look awesome - go for it - have a look also at the Advanti 'Manic' only available in chrome, this wheel looks good on Astra's and is available up to 19" in the right width and offset.

As for pics of mine, they will be coming soon - I want to complete all my exterior mods before doing a pic session and showing it off.

Imay has seen it, I'm sure he can comment on the visual impact of 20's on an Astra G.

It sure causes alot of 'rubber necking' every time I drive it LOL.

MAD-16V
30th August 2006, 04:30 PM
Just a quick picture of the actual car on 20s - that's not too much to ask is it.

I have seen an astra G on 20s before - But the ammount of work needed to get them to fit was amazing.

What did you have to do to get them to fit?

Tyre sizes / Width specs ?

PaulyJ
30th August 2006, 07:02 PM
Wraith, what area of Melbourne are you in...

... coz i'ma goin car huntin'!

Wraith
31st August 2006, 01:44 PM
LOL, Hi Pauly, I live in Taylors Lakes, but travel down to the SE suburbs nearly every weekend.

Where do you live, PM me if you like and I can drop in and say hello if your situated in my travels.........

Hi there Mad-16V, actually what you ask is quite reasonable and that's exactly how imay eventually coaxed me into showing him some pics, however he also owns a 'vert', so I felt it was only fair.

If you guys can wait till this weekend, I'll put some pics up that I took only a couple of weekends ago, or try take some new ones before I do my next series of mods, which will see the car taken apart again, like it has been for the better part of the last 12 months.......

Regarding the 20's fitment, yes lots of very careful and detailed work to both the rims and the car, this is necessary because such a size was never meant to be fitted to an Astra G and there are hardly any " off the shelf " rims with the right specs.

You've got to be a real mag wheel freak like me to want to go to the bother, time and expense of it all.........

I've had 3 sets of 20's :

One set is total custom made 20" x 7.5" ET 49 cost 6.5k - yes don't faint.....

One set (which I no longer have now) is " off the shelf " but I was able to score a set through a contact of mine which had a total solid/blank centre.
I then used a CNC machine workshop to drill the bolt and centre hub holes and machine the hub mounting face to the desired ET - in this case 48.
These end up costing me just over 3k all up.

One rim in this set of wheels suffered from an incurable wobble, it was not machined accurately and could not be fixed.

The final set is the one's I'm currently riding on (I've put my customs in storage for future use).

They are also " off the shelf ", but again I've redrilled them to suit and machined the hub seating face for a more compliant ET, in this case 47.

I also performed careful ' surgery ' and re-moulding of the inner plastic gaurds and it now rides extremely well with no scrubbing - except for the biggest of road bumps and at the rear only, it took me lots of man hrs to figure it all out and do the work, I wanted it to be as perfect as possible.

The only problem I have with these is that I had to use a 225/30 R20 tyre, nothing wrong with the tyre, but with those specs it's under load rated at 85 instead of the required 87.

This dosn't bother me as the car is only occaisionally weekend driven, I wouldn't recommend having under load rated tyres for an everyday car - insurance companies will come down hard on you if your in an accident.

ZC_74
1st September 2006, 07:09 AM
I think I might be getting too old. I lke the CSA's better. I like a more 'plain' type wheel on a car. I like DTM type rims or something simple like a 5 or 6 spoke to really open up the rotors and calipers

WLD-18L
1st September 2006, 08:58 AM
thanks ZC. thats why iam keeping the CSA's in mind. to totaly differnet rims and i like em both. i dunno which one to chose. might flip a coin and be done with it.

WLD-18L
1st September 2006, 02:52 PM
iam looking in the CSA Fitment guide. The Tuners come in as

5 Stud, PCD:110 and an ET/Offset of 39.

Can someone tell me what the PCD and ET/Offset actully are

it would be greatly appreciated.

WLD-18L
3rd September 2006, 06:24 PM
i cant make up my mind. now iam leaning towards the CSA's

WLD-18L
3rd September 2006, 07:45 PM
Allright its all over. ive made a final decision. CSA Tuners in 17x7 are going on.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/v3LaRdi/18s.jpg

ZC_74
5th September 2006, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I still reckon a good choice

Wraith
5th September 2006, 01:21 PM
iam looking in the CSA Fitment guide. The Tuners come in as

5 Stud, PCD:110 and an ET/Offset of 39.

Can someone tell me what the PCD and ET/Offset actully are

it would be greatly appreciated.

Hope I'm not too late with this info for you:

PCD = pitch circle diameter - if you draw a circle through the centreline of your wheels bolts or nuts and then measure it's diameter, this will be the P.C.D. in our case 110mm for 5 stud Opels.

ET is the distance in mm of the "centreline of the width" of the rim, to the "hub mounting face" of the rim.

In other words the actual part of the rim that sits against your disk brake hub.

The larger the ET number (eg:49), the further away from the centreline of the rim the seating face will be - hence very little dish on these rims.

Conversely, the smaller the ET number (eg:25), will usually begin to give you a nice deep dish.

Some rims are designed with curved spokes which give a good dish whilst maintaining a large ET number - my 20's are like this.

Now with the specs you list above, PCD is perfect however an ET of 39 is not advisable for fitment to an Astra or Calibra - try to stick to an ET of well over 40 - BTW what size are these rims ?
It will be ok if your not lowered, but expect some scrubbing, especially at the rear if your gonna go down 30-40mm or if the above rims are 18" or bigger.

I have a set of 17" x 7" Momo's with an ET of 35, my Astra is lowered 40mm and before modification of my inner plastic guards these wheels scrubbed alot !

Comparing to a set of 18" x 7.5" I also have with an ET of 45, which didn't scrub at all !

Tyre sizes selection should be - 215/40 R17 87's for 17" rims and
225/35 R18 87's for 18" rims.

O/A diameter is within check, so speedometer reading will be ok and load rating is sufficient with the above tyre specs.

Hope that helps.

ZC_74
5th September 2006, 01:28 PM
Wraith, excellent info. I'll use that myself when I'm looking.

WLD-18L
5th September 2006, 05:04 PM
that helps a heap thanks wraith.

the car is not lowerd and it never will be.

does this mean the ET of 38 will be fine ? You say that with an ET of 38 the rim will have very little dish. is this a good or bad thing ? or is it just for looks ?

the rims are 17x7.

thanks for your help.

what are the dimenssions for my stock rims.

its a 2001 Holden Astra G TS CD Sedan Manual. the rims are 15x6 and are 5 stud. whats the PCD and ET For these ?

EL BURITO
5th September 2006, 11:19 PM
u need wheels bigger than 38 or it will scrub, look at 40 to 48

Wraith
6th September 2006, 01:36 PM
that helps a heap thanks wraith.

the car is not lowerd and it never will be.

does this mean the ET of 38 will be fine ? You say that with an ET of 38 the rim will have very little dish. is this a good or bad thing ? or is it just for looks ?

the rims are 17x7.

thanks for your help.

what are the dimenssions for my stock rims.

its a 2001 Holden Astra G TS CD Sedan Manual. the rims are 15x6 and are 5 stud. whats the PCD and ET For these ?

Hi, if your car is not lowered, you'll get away with 17 x 7" with ET of 38 - BUT remember there may be a strong possibility that you will encounter scrubbing on big road bumps and high speed cornering.

An ET of 43 or above will guarantee hassle free motoring - especially if you never lower the car.

With regards to the amount of dish, yes I'm referring to the 'looks' of the rim.

Most Opel ET friendly rims have the spokes flat with the outer lip, but they look very good anyway.

These days most aftermarket rims have no or little dish - they look just fine, but I kind of like a bit of dish and having different ET's on front and rear wheels, just like Mercs or BM's to give a deeper dish on the rear - looks horn bags IMO.

WLD-18L
6th September 2006, 04:42 PM
i dont get why they would scrub ? 17's come stock on some astras and if the ET/offset only refers to the dish i dont see how it can scrub ?

just to clarify. if you have a large ET like 45 this means that the wheel will be further away from the car (stick out more from the rotor). a smaller ET like in my case 38 the closer it will be to the car (Closer to the rotor)

Wraith
7th September 2006, 12:58 PM
i dont get why they would scrub ? 17's come stock on some astras and if the ET/offset only refers to the dish i dont see how it can scrub ?

just to clarify. if you have a large ET like 45 this means that the wheel will be further away from the car (stick out more from the rotor). a smaller ET like in my case 38 the closer it will be to the car (Closer to the rotor)

O.K. firstly 17 x 7" is the stock size on several Astra rims, BUT they are all, as far as I know ET 49 !!!!!!

The ET does not refer to the amount of dish, re-read my other post explaining it all, it does affect it but it also depends on the design of the centre spokes and depth of the hub etc.

The ET will affect the position of the outer lip of the rim.

To clarify a small ET number eg: 35 means the outer lip of the rim moves further out or closer to the guards - (this is what causes the problems)

Now depending on the spoke design of the rim, you can see how you begin to get a dish as this happens, big dish rims have offsets or ET as low as 15 or 10 and some even go the other way eg: ET -25, these are very deep dish rims.

I had a set of 5 spoke American racing mags on an XU1 Torana I used to own, which had an ET of -75.

A larger ET number eg: 49 means the outer lip of the rim moves further into the guard - creating more clearance for the wheel to travel up and down without touching the guard.

So comparing what you have, 17 x 7" ET 49 (stock) vs 17 x 7" ET 38 (what your wanting to get) - the aftermarket rims and the whole wheel for that matter will move 11mm closer to your guards !!!

Hope that starts to give you a picture of the effects of ET numbers.

And like I've already mentioned - you will be able to fit these, but I can't guarantee you, that they will be problem free - you'll have to ask someone who's fitted this exact spec for that answer.

What I can tell you is that I've had 17 x 7" ET 35, my car is lowered 40mm and they scrubbed like crazy on even small bumps, (you wouldn't get as much because your car isn't lowered) however with 18 x 7.5" and ET 45 I had no such problem and the overall wheel diameter is larger with 18's, so you can see how ET numbers of 45 or above are the way to go on a TS Astra.

Hope that helps.

WLD-18L
7th September 2006, 05:40 PM
thanks mate that says it all. its my 1st car so i dont know much about rim dimensions. thanks youve been alot of help.

i see what you mean about the whole et thing. The main reason why iam getting rims is because the stock ones look so "sucked in" to the gards if you know what i mean.

thats sweet then. because my car is not lowerd i wouldnt think i would have that much trouble with the rims. i have only ever seen them on one astra an they looked intense. the car was at my tafe and i havent seen it since. next time i see it ill ask him how it goes.

thanks wraith

Wraith
8th September 2006, 10:37 AM
No worries,

Go for it, they'll look AWESOME compared to stock.

Show us the end result.