PDA

View Full Version : Possible all euro model will not import any more?

Cheetahs
23rd August 2006, 10:51 PM
since holden are use cost issue to not bring vectra to oz is it posssible holden will use cost issue to be reason again to not bring in the euro model?

imay
24th August 2006, 09:29 AM
The only Euro (Opel) models that Holden will continue to bring into Australia will be the Astra. The Vectra is being replaced by a Daewoo. Not sure when that one is due to arrive.
The Commodore Adventra is also being replaced by a Daewoo SUV. The same model that Opel have adopted. Called the Captiva here. Check out the new look Holden website or here http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/jsp/campaigns/captiva/captivaframe.jsp to get an overview.
The Corsa/Barina, as we know, has already been replaced by a Daewoo, which is also sold in Europe under the Chevy banner (I believe).
It would appear that the revamped Daewoo badge is the only GM manufacturer that is doing well on a global scale, the rest (Opel, Vauxhall, Chev, Holden) seem to be suffering somewhat.

Alfonzo
24th August 2006, 05:15 PM
Just a side note, I wonder how much Opel is losing because of this?

Surely they'd be losing a fair bit of $$$ because nobody's taking their cars now?

Shaun
24th August 2006, 06:20 PM
Why would they be loosing Money ? Holdens Production from Opel = 1 Day of work. 8-10 hours for one year. We are a Dot in there world market.

Opel Sells with in Europe Vauxhall UK Market and Into South Africa Aisa and i think the Middle east as well.

Opel Is a strong Brand oversea. There European Market is rather strong.

imay
24th August 2006, 06:59 PM
Why would they be loosing Money ?
Opel Is a strong Brand oversea. There European Market is rather strong.

Not as strong as you may think, evidently. Opel, like all other General Motors brands except Daewoo, are doing it tough. Australia isn't the only country to be plagued by the cheap Korean cars being rebadged by their local General Motors subsidiary. This is happening globally, and it is having a devastating effect on local (whichever country) vehicle manufacturing industries. Just look what is happening here in Oz. Why do you think GM jumped in and poured millions, nay billions of $US into Daewoo when they hit the financial poo?

I would love to know what sort of real cost is involved (in $A terms) in putting together, say a Barina. Korea (Daewoo) would make it for peanuts! Once it's sold, it's all profit for GM.

And . . . as we all know, people keep buying them . . . because they are CHEAP!

pred8r
24th August 2006, 08:07 PM
Is GM dropping all the 4x4 commodores and variants?

Shaun
24th August 2006, 08:25 PM
Not as strong as you may think, evidently. Opel, like all other General Motors brands except Daewoo, are doing it tough. Australia isn't the only country to be plagued by the cheap Korean cars being rebadged by their local General Motors subsidiary. This is happening globally, and it is having a devastating effect on local (whichever country) vehicle manufacturing industries. Just look what is happening here in Oz. Why do you think GM jumped in and poured millions, nay billions of $US into Daewoo when they hit the financial poo?

I would love to know what sort of real cost is involved (in $A terms) in putting together, say a Barina. Korea (Daewoo) would make it for peanuts! Once it's sold, it's all profit for GM.

And . . . as we all know, people keep buying them . . . because they are CHEAP!

In terms of Vehciles on the road Opel have a rather strong Market Share. Aftrer being in Europe i seen a hell of a lot of Opel's on the road. Vauxhalls are as common as our Falcon's and Commodore's are here.

The motor Vehicle industry goses through trends. Ten years ago it was the same. The market rises and falls. GM have been though it before and have pulled out it before and will do the same.

As for Cheaper cars . It makes sense to build where the cost cutting is effective.Mercedes Benz did the same with some of there products. Vito Vans were built in Spain until last year when the new model came out. Up went the cost but the quality is much better. You pay for what you get. And the Barina is priced well for what you are getting. If it was an Opel Built Barina the cost would be over 16k for a Base model. Expensive for Holden to sell and wouldnt survive against the Asia Market comp.

rjastra
24th August 2006, 11:36 PM
Read this review and maybe holden was smart not to get the new Corsa.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/motoringpreviews/202442/vauxhall_corsa_sxi_3dr.html

RudeOne
25th August 2006, 11:56 AM
i think we will see a gm-nissan-renault merger by the end of this year!

mr_sikma
25th August 2006, 02:23 PM
Why would they be loosing Money ? Holdens Production from Opel = 1 Day of work. 8-10 hours for one year

How many cars you think they do a day!!!!???!!!

Shaun
25th August 2006, 02:43 PM
i think we will see a gm-nissan-renault merger by the end of this year!

Renualt - Nissan isnt that Big to Buy out GM. They dont have the Buying Power to take GM But a Merger could be on the cards. But i havent heard any romours about it.

Last one i heard is Volkswagen are buying in Scania Trucks so they can have a Market in the Heavy Vehicle Sector.

rjastra
25th August 2006, 02:57 PM
Renualt - Nissan isnt that Big to Buy out GM.

Renault/NIssan aren't in the best circumstances either. Both have seen a slow drop in market share. Renault because of their quirky styling and NIssan because of a rather patchy model range.

An alliance with GM gets them access to cheaper parts (buy in bulk) and to SUV and large car platforms. Not to mention GM's plethora of powerplants.

I am not sure what it gives GM. Their small cars are at least as competitive and upto date as anything Renault produces. Maybe the MPV range looks enticing.

I assume there are cost saving with regards designing fewer platforms and sharing these costs between manufacturers.

Shaun
25th August 2006, 04:33 PM
Renault/NIssan aren't in the best circumstances either. Both have seen a slow drop in market share. Renault because of their quirky styling and NIssan because of a rather patchy model range.

An alliance with GM gets them access to cheaper parts (buy in bulk) and to SUV and large car platforms. Not to mention GM's plethora of powerplants.

I am not sure what it gives GM. Their small cars are at least as competitive and upto date as anything Renault produces. Maybe the MPV range looks enticing.

I assume there are cost saving with regards designing fewer platforms and sharing these costs between manufacturers.

It give GM what you said above. Bigger Buying power. Thats why all companys buy out others. Not for there product line up. Its cheaper to buy products from Supplyer for One Manafacturer. they also do it for techology as well. Some Manafacturers have the rights to Technology.Example of this this is Mercedes Benz Have the naming rights to ESP. So im assuming that Manafacuters have to pay Mercedes Benz royaltys to use the ESP Name and program.

Red AH SRI T
26th August 2006, 10:28 AM
Is GM dropping all the 4x4 commodores and variants?

All 4X4 variants other than the V6 adventra ceased production in december last year, i believe that the end is very near for the V6 adventra too. Will have to wait and see