PDA

View Full Version : diff

Dave
19th August 2006, 02:30 PM
How hard is it to strip teeth of a diff?

Has anyone ever done it?

stevedee3
19th August 2006, 02:37 PM
I haven't done it, but I've seen what happened to a old Datsun 180 when the clutch was dropped with lots of revs - lots of loose teeth.

beep beep sri
19th August 2006, 03:27 PM
I've seen what happened to a old Datsun 180 when the clutch was dropped with lots of revs - lots of loose teeth.

hahahaha i had a 180b datto i went threw 8 diffs in 5 months! its was the only thing that ever went wrong with the car and most of the time it was only when doing doughnuts that the diff blew.

anyway back to the subject its not hard to blow a diff. what car are we talking about?

low astra
19th August 2006, 06:49 PM
yeah its dead easy, can do it in ya driveway if you know what ya doin

SSS_Hoon
19th August 2006, 08:41 PM
just weld it if it breaks

locker FTW....

SSS_Hoon

Dave
20th August 2006, 03:08 AM
astra man, i inspected a phuew pieces of the old gear box that died the other day, teeth and crap missing everywhere, thats why i was asking how hard it would be to distroy.

low astra
20th August 2006, 08:29 AM
what gears teeth were missing teeth, my bariina had teeth gone from 2nd, 3rd and they kept getting stuck and locking up the box, couldnt select gears, sometimes you would stop at lights and be able to get the car into gear but not move, it would then be a matter of picking reverse and hopefully the piece of broken gear would move out of the way

Dave
20th August 2006, 02:34 PM
There was teeth of the diff and 2nd gear, 2nd gear had also worn backwards. I had the same problem as you plus a grinding sound when slowing down, But it would only lock up in 5th, i had to wrestle witht he box a phuew times to it to go into any gear.

auzvectra
20th August 2006, 03:01 PM
i went through about 5 gbox's in my old pulsar (n13 18LE) and 3 of those where little peices of diff sittn on the road.
1 even shot the star gears out, 1 up 1 down, n the casing of the box followed.