PDA

View Full Version : Ive Had Enough!

Don
18th August 2006, 06:51 PM
After 18months of problems with my 1999 V6 Vectra Hatchback I'm telling the dealer to either buy it back or supply me with another vehicle of equivalent value. I bought the car Jan 2005. This is going to be a long read - sorry about that but you will not get the full picture unless I do.
I have misgivings about the V6 Vectra to handle Aussie summer temperatures or maybe there is another explanation for the problems.
I bought the car 2nd hand from a Toyota Dealer with only 45000kms on the clock. During the pre sale period I never drove the car cold. The first morning I started the car the engine had a tapping sound and I thought hydraulic tappet has bled down overnight. When I drove the vehicle off from cold it would run to 3000rpm before changing up which would become normal within a kilometer. I wrote to Holden since there is nothing in the owners book about this. They told me to take it to a Holden dealer to check out. I took it back to the Toyota Dealer since it was under used car warranty and they confirmed the complaint. I took it to a Holden Dealer on their instructions and Holden Dealer confirmed complaint so transmission was overhauled. At the same time I asked them to report onthe tapping sound from the engine which was occuring every time the engine was stood for more than a couple of hours and they said it was a tappet. I did not believe it was tappet as it meant that the engine would have to stop at the same place every time or there were at least 3 tappets bleeding down at 120 degree crankshaft intervals. Complained to Holden and Toyota Dealer. Was looked at by Holden rep who confirmed that it was an internal engine problem and it would have to be stripped.
Holden dealer told me Holden would not pay for it as car was out of warranty and would not be done under extended warranty as it had missed some of its services. Got in touch with previous owner which revealed invoices for all services and were done by this same Holden Dealer. Holden told me that if I paid for the engine to be stripped and it was found to be a manufacturing defect then Holden would pay. Toyota Dealer told me that they wouldnt find anything so they would do it using an engine reconditioner that Holden dealers also use. Found a piston with a collapsed skirt 0.008" undersize. New problem no parts. I found that a 2.6 short block was available and shown in UK workshop manual as a replacement for 2.5 engine block. Holden dealer would not order as it did not agree with vehicle VIN. Told me to ring Holden. Holden gave me the run around for a couple of weeks as they told me they would not recommend fitting 2.6 shortblock as it would void Holden new parts warranty. As 2.5 parts were not available what was I supposed to do leave the car to rust? Eventually someone with some sense told me that the parts will be available and told the Toyota dealer to order the parts and the engine reconditioner to rebuild the engine. Month went by no parts - Holden dealer had not ordered them. Another call to Holden. Eventually engine is rebuilt April 2006 by this time. No compression on 1 cylinder - heads off again - did they put cyl heads on without making sure crank was on TDC and camshafts align with timing marks - could have bent a valve or two. Car back together but sensor probs then ignition pack problems then auto transmission probs not selecting reverse. Its now August and haven't driven the car since December 2005 and before that it was with the management light on most of the time and in limp home mode no guts. So why do I want to get something else?

Charlatan
18th August 2006, 06:55 PM
Dont envy your situation mate. Good luck in getting a replacement for it. If not, trade that sucker in and get something that isnt going to do your head in. Not worth the hassle you are going thru for the few grand you'll lose. Sh!tty cars suck.

PaulyJ
19th August 2006, 11:23 AM
I really feel sorry for you.
Its rare for something like this to happen, and for you to be stuffed around by both Holden and Toyota shows how unprofessional they can be towards honest customers.
Honestly, I dont think they'll give you a new car for the value of yours, but give it a try. Contact consumer affairs too in regards to this. You'll see just how quickly they'll get things done when you do this.

Hope it all turns out for the best for you.
Let us know what happens.

Paul

RudeOne
21st August 2006, 04:37 PM
CONSUMER AFFAIRS ASAP - also if no luck take the story to acurrent affair, expose them all!!

Good luck mate!

jerrypufflewell
21st August 2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah contact all of them- your state's Fair Trading, Consumer Affairs, those groups have to come in use sometime & if they don't there is always ACA ;)

Wraith
23rd August 2006, 01:05 PM
Yep, what all the above have advised - best way to stick a rocket up their behinds and get something done pronto !!!