PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I have a dilema! Which new car??!! HELP!!

Red AH SRI T
18th August 2006, 05:07 PM
Ok, so I've been saying I really want a VXR, and I still do, i know its going to be a great car.

BUT

I've always liked the Commodore, except the way it handled and the quality, but the VE has fixed all those things.

After having the VE's at work all week, an having the opportunity to drive them in my own time and on public roads I think it is a truly magnificent car.

Now I'm torn in two! And i Can't afford both :(

My friend says if i get the VXR then I'm just buying another Astra, and that I will probably get over it in the next 12 months, cause i've already had my Astra H for sometime.

So, what do I do?

HSV VXR or VE SS or possibly a SS-V?

:eek:

oneightoo
18th August 2006, 05:12 PM
well put it this way..

theres gonna be a bazillion ve commodores on the road soon.. and not many vxr astra's.. to say it's just another astra, is a bit silly.. it's not just another astra, at the moment, it is the ultimate astra, and will be a rare one compared to all the commo's there will be and "standard" astra's..

looks wise, i think they are both hawt cars.. and i was also thinking i wouldnt mind the new commo.. but the cali wins hands down looks wise even after 15 years..

performance wise, well they're both pretty darn quick..

petrol costs.. dunno, whats the vxr chew? the commo would still be more of a guzzler i guess, especially the ss should you choose that one..

my opinion, go the vxr astra.. it's quick, handles well, isnt as common, looks mean..

but at the end of the day, its your ride..

CJB
18th August 2006, 05:21 PM
I gave you my advice on MSN... but Matchu makes a good point!

Red AH SRI T
18th August 2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks for ur input :D

I'm not terribly worried about fuel, most of it will be covered by car allowance from work, and im not commuting that much, about a 15km round trip to work and back.

I had a guy come in the other day who was from Germany and he has an Astra OPC and he said he gets over 20L/100 Km!!!!

Maybe Aussie In London could shed some light on the fuel economy of the VXR?

Maybe i could get a VE and Opelise it? :p

btm
18th August 2006, 05:25 PM
for sure i'd chose a VXR

Red AH SRI T
18th August 2006, 05:26 PM
Why?

be constructive :p

oneightoo
18th August 2006, 05:29 PM
if you opelise the commo, you shall be hunted down and spanked!

if youre not worried bout fuel costs, thats cool, but i still think the vxr offers much for sexiness.. chuck a sunroof on it and whooshka instant penis extension..

xplosv57
18th August 2006, 05:36 PM
As much as the VXR is rare and will have an awesome resale value compared to a commodore, you just cant go past a 270kW rear wheel drive V8!! f i had to choose it'd be the SS-V hands down!! And yes don't opelise the VE especially coz this is the first model not to be based on an opel!! Chev badges however...!! :)

MatsHolden
18th August 2006, 05:49 PM
Chev badges however...!! :)

Only on the V8 models though!

And BlackAH, either or mate, for me it's a toss of the coin.

stevedee3
18th August 2006, 06:20 PM
That's a tricky one... If fuel economy's not an issue then there can't be too much wrong with an SS-V... it's a terrible dilemma :)

Shaun
18th August 2006, 07:26 PM
I dont think the fuel eccon will be that bad for the VXR. But i have looked at the New VE SS-V . Very nice car. Very different to what other commodore models are like.

Hard choice. You can only make the choice Kurt.

Another Option is by the HSV (HSV Racing Spec) on on your lot... Nice looking car that one.

EL BURITO
18th August 2006, 07:44 PM
Well i would take the VXR over the VE

Y- well the commodor always remindes of a bogan mobile, and yes i did see a one today on my way to the gym and its a nice looking car, but its still a commodor. In my opinion the VXR and the SRIT are both a more refined choise in comparison, but saying that u would look out of place driving your VXR in ya blue wife beater.

SRI T and VXR are yuppy cars
commodors are for bogans

added to that i really dont see the need for a heavy v8 when the VXR and can go up against it in performance

Red AH SRI T
18th August 2006, 08:13 PM
I dont think the fuel eccon will be that bad for the VXR. But i have looked at the New VE SS-V . Very nice car. Very different to what other commodore models are like.

Hard choice. You can only make the choice Kurt.

Another Option is by the HSV (HSV Racing Spec) on on your lot... Nice looking car that one.

Are U talking about the HSV Clubsport HDT (Holden Dealer Team) Spec car?

Yeah its nice, but its a VZ, and after driving VE's its so hard to go back to a VZ.

I had a guy who wanted to trade a VX Supercharged S on a VE SV6 but unfortunatley he couldn't quiet stretch the budget. We suggested a runout VZ SV6. He decided to hold off. Yeah driving VE then VZ, there is no comparison, even in HSV form.

But the HDT is a nice car, although why it never came out with the short shifter gear leaver it beyong me???

Shaun
18th August 2006, 08:24 PM
Are U talking about the HSV Clubsport HDT (Holden Dealer Team) Spec car?

Yeah its nice, but its a VZ, and after driving VE's its so hard to go back to a VZ.

I had a guy who wanted to trade a VX Supercharged S on a VE SV6 but unfortunatley he couldn't quiet stretch the budget. We suggested a runout VZ SV6. He decided to hold off. Yeah driving VE then VZ, there is no comparison, even in HSV form.

But the HDT is a nice car, although why it never came out with the short shifter gear leaver it beyong me???

How much they asking on that Unit ? Thats the car im talking about. i noticed its a low build number when i was in there that sunday. Number 6 in the production line....

Red AH SRI T
18th August 2006, 08:30 PM
yeah it was a limited run of 50 of those, 50 Holden Racing Team Spec (same car but in Red with White wheels and white accent strip in the sill) and 50 Mark Scaife Senators.

I'm not sure on the price of that one though, will have to do some research for you. maybe guestimate somewhere around $60 - 65 K but don't hold me to that

Shaun
18th August 2006, 09:09 PM
yeah it was a limited run of 50 of those, 50 Holden Racing Team Spec (same car but in Red with White wheels and white accent strip in the sill) and 50 Mark Scaife Senators.

I'm not sure on the price of that one though, will have to do some research for you. maybe guestimate somewhere around $60 - 65 K but don't hold me to that

All good mate. no probs. when you know let post it up.

Opelise
19th August 2006, 12:35 AM
:p
Ok, so I've been saying I really want a VXR, and I still do, i know its going to be a great car.

BUT

I've always liked the Commodore, except the way it handled and the quality, but the VE has fixed all those things.

After having the VE's at work all week, an having the opportunity to drive them in my own time and on public roads I think it is a truly magnificent car.

Now I'm torn in two! And i Can't afford both :(

My friend says if i get the VXR then I'm just buying another Astra, and that I will probably get over it in the next 12 months, cause i've already had my Astra H for sometime.

So, what do I do?

HSV VXR or VE SS or possibly a SS-V?

:eek:

I find this utterly disgusting. How anyone could be in two minds about an european astra and an australian holden commodore is beyond me. Commodores pretty much sum up everything wrong with this country..

but hey each to their own :p

MatsHolden
19th August 2006, 10:01 AM
:p

I find this utterly disgusting. How anyone could be in two minds about an european astra and an australian holden commodore is beyond me. Commodores pretty much sum up everything wrong with this country..

but hey each to their own :p

Narrow minded... :rolleyes: but as you said, each to their own.

mr corsa
19th August 2006, 10:43 AM
buy a corsa vxr

oneightoo
19th August 2006, 10:59 AM
buy a corsa vxr

or build your own :p

CJB
19th August 2006, 11:01 AM
Kurt - it's your choice, I know though you are quite taken by the VE...

And if you choose a VE now, that doesn't mean you cant get a HSV VXR sometime down the track.

It's not like you are picking the car you will be stuck with for the rest of your life.

stevedee3
19th August 2006, 02:41 PM
I went to have a look at the VE this afternoon. I love the flared wheel arches at the front. They also had an Omega with 20" wheels; it's amazing how much they improve the look of the car compared to the standard 16" wheels.

R3N
19th August 2006, 04:02 PM
I'd definitely go the VXR but that's my personal opinion. Smaller, more agile, looks sexier and better investment (that is if you can actually call a car an investment, what I mean is less depreciation).

But blackie, if a test drive is all it took to get you to consider the VE, wait till you test drive the VXR!

Red AH SRI T
19th August 2006, 10:39 PM
thats the thing, i can get a VE tomorrow, and still there is no 100% date on the VXR :(

R3N
20th August 2006, 12:36 AM
thats the thing, i can get a VE tomorrow, and still there is no 100% date on the VXR :(

Hold out for it, you can't really compare a car you have driven to a car you have read about in the media. That's the only way to make a fair comparison.

Ask yourself what you want/need in a next car, make a list and see which car most satisfies your wants/needs.

rjastra
20th August 2006, 11:21 PM
Does anyone really believe, honestly, that a Fwd astra turbo can compete performance-wise with a rwd VE ss?

The MPS3 (the fastest hot hatch at the moment) is way slower than a VZ SS, let alone a VE SS. Not sure how a VXR can compete then.

Neither the VXr or the SS will be a longterm investment. Both will depreciate like a rock.

R3N
21st August 2006, 03:12 AM
depends how much weight performance carries in his decision making

Red AH SRI T
21st August 2006, 07:36 AM
I'm happy with the performance of either car.

VXR 0-100 6.1 Sec
VE SS 0-100 5.4 Sec

Apex
21st August 2006, 12:22 PM
If fuel and 50k:p was no issue id go out and buy a VE SS tomorrow.

The Astra has a lot going for it in this comparison its rarity for one, that under dog im not a lemming smugness you’ll feel at the supermarket car park when every man and his dog is loading up there enormous booted Commy, but in my humble opinion (and most car enthusiasts) no matter how good the VXR is it will be no match for the rear drive Commodore’s dynamics not to mention its acoustics, and interior space.

The Commodore is an awesome car, a truly new global car, and I think it’s something Australians should be proud of.

Graham.

RudeOne
21st August 2006, 12:37 PM
Very true! well said - but I'll go the vxr personally, just find it more aesthetically pleasing... but all the VE range is hot hot hot!!

Dont need the extra room, and dont want to spend the extra on fuel, so the VXR is the poor mans option!

Wraith
21st August 2006, 12:48 PM
What I would do is wait till the release of the VE series 2 and buy the SS-V.

As you've mentioned you already have an AH, you really want the commo, wait till the series 2 which will have DOD (displacement on demand) and you've got the best of all worlds.

You can always sell your current AH and buy a VXR down the track as some else mentioned.

MK
21st August 2006, 12:53 PM
In the end, its up to your personal choice Kurt.

if you hold off and test drive the VXR, why not do just that. and who knows, maybe in few months time, after the initial "new car on the block" frenzy wears off and more and more VE owners post their findings about the car...maybe it will give you that extra time to really compare the two...???

like i said before, its really up to you. Take your time i say, i still see your Astra from time to time and it still looks good...plus, you cant put Opel badges on a VE ;)

ultim8DTM5
21st August 2006, 01:07 PM
Get the VXR and then after two or three years get the VE. Afterall, it will be around for a little longer than the VXR.

pred8r
21st August 2006, 07:23 PM
I'm happy with the performance of either car.

VXR 0-100 6.1 Sec
VE SS 0-100 5.4 Sec

that answers it - vxr then an upgrade to the ss-v
You would NEVER be happy with a slower upgrade

Otherwise

Get the commy, drive it until the vxr is out and trade across. Not sure how youll cope with almost 1sec slower to 100kmh though.

phat-dave
21st August 2006, 08:35 PM
the choice is simple... the VE

since trading my vyii ss, i miss it, the astra is well.. an astra and the vxr whilst a great car is... well... an astra :p

the ve is the new hotness ... for me, black or evoke calais v on 20s :D

on a side note though, so many w4nkers try to be smart when youre in a little car, when i drove the commodore no pr1ck would try and squeeze in and try to be smart and cut you off etc ... having a larger car is definitely dominating and very psychological on the road

pred8r
21st August 2006, 11:06 PM
on a side note though, so many w4nkers try to be smart when youre in a little car, when i drove the commodore no pr1ck would try and squeeze in and try to be smart and cut you off etc ... having a larger car is definitely dominating and very psychological on the road

I drive a Corsa and could count those times on one hand, so I think that its in the drivers head and general attitude, not the size of the car.

(EDIT: unless you live in Footscray and drive either a RAV4 or Camry or live in Maidstone/Braybrook and drive a ex-taxi yellow Falcon. In which case as far as Im concerned YOU own the road and I will stay well clear.
I would have more luck picking Tatts numbers than predicting the driving skill being displayed by their respective drivers. :p)

oneightoo
21st August 2006, 11:15 PM
i think so to..

the calibra isnt a small car, and it isnt a large car either.. but i get it often.. but i also get it from small cars..

having said that, if i wanna get in the next lane, i'll cut in front of a big 4wd..

RudeOne
22nd August 2006, 08:00 AM
So Blacky - have you come closer to making a decision?

one2have
22nd August 2006, 09:25 AM
i think so to..

the calibra isnt a small car, and it isnt a large car either.. but i get it often.. but i also get it from small cars..

having said that, if i wanna get in the next lane, i'll cut in front of a big 4wd..

Its not about the size. its how you use it.. At least thats what I tell all my girlfriends :D :D.

I'd go the SS-V. Don't forget that you can do a lot more with the LS2 down the line. With some small mods you'd get 320kW easy. there is only so much power that you could feed through the front wheels of an Astra.

I know its not always about power, but the SS-V looks like an all round better package.

phat-dave
22nd August 2006, 10:58 AM
[quote=one2have;144684]
I'd go the SS-V. Don't forget that you can do a lot more with the LS2 down the line. With some small mods you'd get 320kW easy. there is only so much power that you could feed through the front wheels of an Astra.
[quote]

absolutely correct, however, the ve doesnt have the ls2 :p

Wraith
22nd August 2006, 01:07 PM
It does have the LS2.

Holden have just renamed it for marketing puposes and put a different looking cover on as well - but it is still the same LS2 as in the VZ, with different engine management, which gives the slightly different figures.

It's all in their literature.

The series 2 will have the next in the series - Displacement on demand DOD.

one2have
22nd August 2006, 01:23 PM
It does have the LS2.

Holden have just renamed it for marketing puposes and put a different looking cover on as well - but it is still the same LS2 as in the VZ, with different engine management, which gives the slightly different figures.

It's all in their literature.

The series 2 will have the next in the series - Displacement on demand DOD.

Thanks mate..

DOD huh? I know the VB I had when I was a teenager had UDI (unexpected displacement issues) hahaha.

phat-dave
22nd August 2006, 02:16 PM
the ls2 is a completely different engine than the l98 in the new VE - It is a variation of the L76 seen in the VZ Commodores

and no Holden has the LS2, it is exclusive to the HSV range

one2have
22nd August 2006, 03:10 PM
the ls2 is a completely different engine than the l98 in the new VE - It is a variation of the L76 seen in the VZ Commodores

and no Holden has the LS2, it is exclusive to the HSV range

Ummm guys, we need some clarification here... I thought the SS has the LS2, since the VZ runout range.

Sorry Phat D, are you sure that this isn't an LS2?

phat-dave
22nd August 2006, 03:44 PM
absolutely positive

im a commodore bogan from way back :p

astro boy
22nd August 2006, 03:55 PM
You couldn't have picked two more different cars.
small vs large
fwd vs rwd
4cyl turbo vs V8
2 door vs 4 door

RudeOne
22nd August 2006, 04:26 PM
thats what makes the choice harder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaun
22nd August 2006, 04:51 PM
Kurt Only you can Decided. Its a Hard choice though. Now with the HSV E Series out if i could stretch the budget that far i would go for a GTS or a R8 Clubsport.

Red AH SRI T
22nd August 2006, 06:49 PM
LS2 and L98 are different engines. They are bot GEN4 engines but they are different specs.

Holdens get L98's and HSV's get LS2 (which is the Corvette Spec engine)

L98 doesn't have the hardware for DOD, although the L76 (on VZ) did. Holden said they didn't put it on VE because the amount of money required to engineer it compared to the fuel that would be saved was not worth it.

There is no confirmation of DOD on VE Series 2, thats if there is a series 2, i've heard they won't be doing that any more. I hope they don't, updating every year ****s with resale

Still no closer to decision.

Also now have the Calais V on the radar :p

stevedee3
22nd August 2006, 10:12 PM
Also now have the Calais V on the radar :pI could probably answer this question by cheking the specs, but I'm too lazy...

What's the difference between an SS-V and a Calais-V?
Here's a list off the top of my head, have I missed anything major?
Various styling bits and pieces
No manual transmission option on Calais

Red AH SRI T
23rd August 2006, 07:26 AM
yeah pretty much.

Although u get the DVD, and things like auto wipers and puddle lights on the Calais, and it has the same suspension

01CDsedan
27th August 2006, 06:20 PM
I haven't driven one yet, but after having a good look at several SS models over the past week or so, the only decision I need to make is colour and exactly when I'm ordering. Somewhere between this time next year and 2009 is my best guess at the moment.

The VXR will be a nice car, no doubt, but it will be slower than an SS, its FWD layout is an inherent compromise and it's still basically a faster hatchback. The SS is more of a muscle car - and there's something special about the feel, the sound, the torque and the image that hatchbacks can't get anywhere near.

I learned to drive in an SS and while I've had two small cars since then, I'm yearning to get back into something big with lots of capacity, power and torque. There's just an X factor to it.

180HOA
2nd September 2006, 12:07 PM
Personally I'd go the VXR.

Having looked at the VE's, I've gotta say I was very disappointed. Pretty average panel fit, doors that clang when you close them, boring interiors with Korean-quality materials and leather that smells like fish. Then the fact you simply don't notice them on the road - I know they're there, but they just look like a rehash of design ideas that have been around for years.

What did they do with that billion dollars?

It really would be a no-brainer for me.

DirtyHarry
2nd September 2006, 02:48 PM
i think the car is nice. but yeah i did notice the panels arent that flash, especially the panel with the rear bumper to the rear quater panel.

Tfer
2nd September 2006, 05:43 PM
Hi Black AH CDX, I think the VXR is the way to go, mainly due to its exclusitivity and after all it is an Opel and European. Commodores will be everywhere. But hey, your choice and a tough one it seems.

corsa2nv
4th September 2006, 02:30 PM
ASTRA ASTRA ASTRA, i know wat you mean by likeing the VE, ive seen them at a car yard and have to say they look quite impressive, but still i'd take the astra, being a smaller and more fun car 2 drive, and also about petrol. and in my opinion, the VXR still looks way hotter than the commo

RudeOne
4th September 2006, 03:21 PM
not baggin the VE - but anyone noticed how high it sits, looks like a monster truck.......

pred8r
4th September 2006, 08:49 PM
Go against the grain....300C SRT-8 (white - do weddings on the weekend)

ZC_74
4th September 2006, 09:04 PM
Love the Vectra but have always been a big Holden fan. I will be out of my car in 2-3 years and I was seriously going European (I was thinking a second hand RS4 by then but still an awful lot of cash second I suspect). When I saw a VE SS-V in the flesh I was floored. I think Holden have lifted the bar well above anything else local (read Ford). And when I saw the new HSV I was sold. I will go back to my beloved big car.

However, I would be waiting for a series 2 VE. When I had the car in a fortnight ago I was told they alrady had a recall on them. I've always felt it's better to buy a late Series 1 or wait til series 2. And by the time I'm looking I'll hope for a 12 month old HSV GTS Series 2 that will hopefully have cyclinder deactivation.

one2have
4th September 2006, 10:28 PM
Love the Vectra but have always been a big Holden fan. I will be out of my car in 2-3 years and I was seriously going European (I was thinking a second hand RS4 by then but still an awful lot of cash second I suspect). When I saw a VE SS-V in the flesh I was floored. I think Holden have lifted the bar well above anything else local (read Ford). And when I saw the new HSV I was sold. I will go back to my beloved big car.

However, I would be waiting for a series 2 VE. When I had the car in a fortnight ago I was told they alrady had a recall on them. I've always felt it's better to buy a late Series 1 or wait til series 2. And by the time I'm looking I'll hope for a 12 month old HSV GTS Series 2 that will hopefully have cyclinder deactivation.

OMG

Did you like read my mind exactly man? I definately will be after a second hand GTS in 2-3 years after the VEC. Although I suspect Holden won't be doing the series II/III thing anymore.

ZC_74
5th September 2006, 07:16 AM
OMG

Did you like read my mind exactly man? I definately will be after a second hand GTS in 2-3 years after the VEC. Although I suspect Holden won't be doing the series II/III thing anymore.
I don't know if they WILL do a series 1/2/3 etc but I looked at this way.

Apparently, Ford will be releasing their all new Falcon in 2008. I suspect that Holden held off on the Engine technology so that they had something to fight that new car. Weather it is called a Series number or not - well maybe you're right.

RudeOne
5th September 2006, 08:44 AM
This is the same sort of excitment that ford fans had when the BA falcon came out, 12 months later, everyone is over it, it will be the same for the holden commo.........

ZC_74
5th September 2006, 08:56 AM
I agree to a point....
The only thing I think that works a bit more in Holden's favour compared to the time of the BA is the new technology going into the new Commodore.

corsa2nv
6th September 2006, 09:49 AM
another thing to take into concidiration, is how commedoores and large cars depreciate so quickly in value, sure the VE will hold its value more than other cars as its a new model but after a year 2 years, bang probebly loose bout 50%. astra will hold its value alot better, plus its an opel ;). i'd pick the astra over the VE as i said previously reason being its small, would be quite fun to drive, and it will hold its value very well, and its gona be alot more rare than the VE.

Jackson
6th September 2006, 12:05 PM
i did see 3 of the new commos on my way to work today, imagine how many of them there will be in just a few months.

would go the astra myself, but that's me :)

rjastra
6th September 2006, 02:27 PM
i did see 3 of the new commos on my way to work today, imagine how many of them there will be in just a few months

So rare = more desirable? I may concur if the car was exotic but it ain't. Just another hot hatch.

Tell him to buy an Mitsubishi 380 then if he wants rare - lol

SRi_Jimbo
6th September 2006, 03:07 PM
So rare = more desirable? I may concur if the car was exotic but it ain't. Just another hot hatch.

Tell him to buy an Mitsubishi 380 then if he wants rare - lol

hahaha thats a great call!!! I'm an astra man myself, so i woudl be going the VXR maily because i like small cars becuase they are easier to move about and park in those tight spots in the city!!

However it looks like you are leaning toward the commodore. Between the SS-V and Calais-V i personally would go for the Calais for the extra creature comforts and i think that they would hold a better re-sale value in the future over the SS.

Like most of the others have said, if going for the commo i would also wait for at least a year to give them the opportunity to iron out any problems since it is a new model.

Good luck mate with which ever way you go!!! :)