PDA

View Full Version : When a 'standard' ferrari just isnt good enough...

btm
18th August 2006, 08:38 AM
http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,20090647-21822,00.html

Ferrari's $8 million supercar

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4238/ferrarior2.jpg

Most collectors would be happy enough to just own a Ferrari — any Ferrari.

There wouldn't be many who would feel the need to remodel one, let alone a top-of-the-range Enzo worth close to $2 million.

But American collector James Glickenhaus isn't any old Ferrari fan. His passion is 1960s racing cars, including Ferraris.

So when Glickenhaus wanted a new Ferrari he could drive daily, it had to have a style inspired by the 1967 Ferrari 330 P4. The result is the Ferrari Pininfarina P4/5.

Ferrari isn't in the business of creating one-off cars for fussy customers, so Glickenhaus turned to Pininfarina, the famous Italian design house based in Turin.

Ferrari itself has used Pininfarina to design most of its own classics, including the Ferrari 250 MM Coupe, 250 GT Europa and Cabriolet, 410 Super America, 365 GT4, 308 GTB GTF, Mondial, Testarossa, F40, 456, 355, 575, 360 and Enzo.

Led by chairman Andrea Pininfarina, the design house engineered and built the P4/5, using an Enzo as its starting point, while Glickenhaus oversaw the project.

"I was looking for a real car, not simply a show car," Glickenhaus says. "I was able to understand the real complexity of producing a functioning custom-built car and how Pininfarina conducted the whole project."

Computer modelling was used to help design the P4/5, the shape of the Enzo being altered to take on the domed roof, rear wing and rear exhaust outlets of the 330 P4.

More than 200 components were especially made for the car.

The body is made from carbon fibre, and the entire turret is a single-shell windscreen cut to accommodate butterfly-wing doors.

It wasn't just the exterior styling that had the Pininfarina treatment, with the interior also customised to Glickenhaus's requirements.

Under the slightly retro body, Glickenhaus hasn't felt the need to change anything.

The Enzo's V12 has the original 485kW and 657Nm.

The whole project probably cost Glickenhaus about $8 million.

"I really think I have been very lucky, being able to bring to life what was only a dream until a few months ago," Glickenhaus says.

Herald-Sun

PaulyJ
18th August 2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah i read about this yesterday.... freeekin awesome!

MatsHolden
18th August 2006, 12:34 PM
haha yeh read that last week, some people do have too much money lol.

btm
18th August 2006, 12:50 PM
i want too much money... :(

Wraith
18th August 2006, 12:50 PM
Wow, that is one really beautiful/awesome machine.

I would kill for something like that.......

EL BURITO
19th August 2006, 04:25 PM
i want too much money... :(
dont we all