PDA

View Full Version : IDS on the new Astra H SRiT

R3N
14th August 2006, 07:34 PM
Taken from the Holden website:

Interactive Driving System Plus (IDS plus) with Continuous Damping Control suspension (CDC)
IDS-plus Sports Chassis Pack with CDC gives you electronic control of the finely tuned sports suspension. Pressing the sport switch activates the Continuous Damping Control which monitors the roll, pitch and yaw of the car, and changes the rate of damping on each wheel to optimise the handling performance, effectively stiffening the suspension but selectively. This means the car will exhibit a reduced rate of roll and pitch, making it more responsive during direction changes and more settled during the brake/ turn-in/ acceleration transition when cornering. http://www.holden.com.au///images/trans.gif

Do you have in-cabin control of the damper settings? Eg. stiffening them? If so, does that mean you cannot replace the shockies? Or else how do they work? What component is it that adjusts the damper settings?

MatsHolden
14th August 2006, 07:39 PM
Taken from the Holden website:

Interactive Driving System Plus (IDS plus) with Continuous Damping Control suspension (CDC)
IDS-plus Sports Chassis Pack with CDC gives you electronic control of the finely tuned sports suspension. Pressing the sport switch activates the Continuous Damping Control which monitors the roll, pitch and yaw of the car, and changes the rate of damping on each wheel to optimise the handling performance, effectively stiffening the suspension but selectively. This means the car will exhibit a reduced rate of roll and pitch, making it more responsive during direction changes and more settled during the brake/ turn-in/ acceleration transition when cornering. http://www.holden.com.au///images/trans.gif

Do you have in-cabin control of the damper settings? Eg. stiffening them? If so, does that mean you cannot replace the shockies? Or else how do they work? What component is it that adjusts the damper settings?

The Continuous Damping Control is always working, press the sports button and it firms up the the shocks, gives sharper throttle response and quickens the steering rack. This does make it more difficult to replace shocks, as they are specially wired up to the system. It's quite amazing technology, more commonly seen on cars like Ferraris.

Shaun
14th August 2006, 07:46 PM
Its computer controlled. But you theres not unit in side the car that can be set up like the after market tein set up. But its smarter in my mind as it automatically picks what the car needs rather then a driver error like can happen with with the tein set up.

R3N
14th August 2006, 07:52 PM
The Continuous Damping Control is always working, press the sports button and it firms up the the shocks, gives sharper throttle response and quickens the steering rack. This does make it more difficult to replace shocks, as they are specially wired up to the system. It's quite amazing technology, more commonly seen on cars like Ferraris.

Was just wondering as I was driving my mate's W220 S-Class that had air suspension, it had 3 damper adjustment settings (normal, stiff, stiffer)

Could something like that be adapted to the SRiT? ie. more than just 1 level of stiffness. I think its possible, maybe wait and see ;)

Shaun
14th August 2006, 08:09 PM
Was just wondering as I was driving my mate's W220 S-Class that had air suspension, it had 3 damper adjustment settings (normal, stiff, stiffer)

Could something like that be adapted to the SRiT? ie. more than just 1 level of stiffness. I think its possible, maybe wait and see ;)

Thats Something the Volvo S60R have. Its something that is the same. But they have different settings. The SRi Will adapt to the driving style or the motion the car is in. The others are the same but alittle different.

aussie_in_london
14th August 2006, 08:10 PM
IDS + is great for race tracks and smooth surfaces that you see in Germany etc, on a typical back road that is corrigated the suspension firms up a bit to much and you find yourself fighting for control (rear bounces especially) at speeds hence the reason it was dropped as standard in the UK for the VXR and Lotus brought in for the passive suspension incl rebound springs and chassie, it is great though for smooth surfaces, motorways and a track.