PDA

View Full Version : short shifters

lee683
7th May 2004, 08:37 PM
i dont know if its been on here before on not abt short shifters??

i know u can get them for astras calibras and vectras. i dont know abt barinas??

i got one for my cally a few months ago now. the cally and vectra are the same one. astra is different.
mine cost me $280.
easy to fit took me 10mins.

http://work.aevans.net/uploads/p6L8JFdzUuUN.jpg
the new and the old
http://work.aevans.net/uploads/wiuOikQ4F0st.jpg
in the car

i got it from
Revolution Racegear
Unit 1 19 Denison St
Wollongong NSW 2500
ph: (02) 4225 8532

B&M make them

Jass
7th May 2004, 09:32 PM
ummm might be giving them a call on monday

Lizzard
7th May 2004, 09:52 PM
:mrgreen: For those who can't shift fast enough.... :mrgreen:

Marty
7th May 2004, 09:58 PM
I know that on the 2.2L (F23 transmission) the shift lever assembly is an all in one unit and that you can't remove the gear stick selector to change it.

Also if you stuff up any part of the shift lever assembly you have to buy a total new shift lever assembly which is about $400-$450.

I know this from personal experience :oops:

Lizzard
7th May 2004, 10:03 PM
I know this from personal experience

To much racing.... :lol:

Marty
7th May 2004, 10:35 PM
Let’s just say that it involved trying to remove the standard gear nob and a hacksaw. :oops:

Lizzard
7th May 2004, 10:38 PM
:shock: oh,ok........not a bright idea....

GOZOFF
7th May 2004, 11:45 PM
I used a slide hammer to get my gear knob off, worked like a charm.
http://members.aol.com/browrob549/emo/bounce014.gif

anicorsa
8th May 2004, 12:14 AM
How much of a difference do they really make?

Are you able to shift that much faster to warrant $280?? Looking at the pic, you'd probably only move the stick about 1 inch less at most.

Just curious...

Nem
8th May 2004, 12:03 PM
Just found one for the Astra... ouch!!
Short Throw Shifter for Astra MK4 (http://rallynuts.com/motorsport/The_Vauxhall_Astra_Mk4_1614/B&M_Short_Throw_Shifter_Astra_1434.asp)
Not cheap!
Ben

lee683
8th May 2004, 12:10 PM
with my normal gear stick the knob on top was broken. had a nice spilt up the side. and when i went to change from 1st to 2nd when i gave it heaps the knob would come off in my hand and would nornaly cunch the gears.

but the S.S is good. and has a bit more weight to it. but i think thats good

Degen-Astra
8th May 2004, 12:15 PM
B&M Do short shifters for most Opels - I beleive they have a distrubutor in Sydney as well.

http://www.bmracing.com/

Nem
8th May 2004, 12:17 PM
B&M Do short shifters for most Opels - I beleive they have a distrubutor in Sydney as well.

http://www.bmracing.com/

Rocket Industries
40 Huntingwood Drive
Huntingwood, New South Wales, 2148 Australia

Phone: 02-967-89977

anicorsa
8th May 2004, 12:22 PM
None listed for the Corsa... :( Unless its the same as the Astra.

Anyone know if Astra and Barina use the same shifter?

mr_astra_retired
8th May 2004, 12:31 PM
I had a short shifter on my old astra F , it reduced gear lever travel by 40% and it made the gear box feel much tighter .
I recommened getting one .
I had mine imported from demon - tweeks in the uk a few years ago , be nice if i could of got it locally

mr_astra_retired
8th May 2004, 12:32 PM
Anyone know if Astra and Barina use the same shifter?

From memory , i dont think so

anicorsa
8th May 2004, 12:40 PM
bugger, i'll see if they have them in the UK. The corsasport guys should be able to help. ;)

frankie9fingers
8th May 2004, 07:36 PM
I'll investigate for the barinas. gotta find a wrecker that has the shaft. you don't understand how hard it is when they want to sell you the whole box, not just bits.
anyway, then i'll cut it and weld it back together. try it. then if all goes well i'll see a m8 thats a fitter and turner and get a price for makin the sucker up.

anicorsa
8th May 2004, 08:13 PM
Cool, Lets us know how it goes.

Or maybe its possible to mod, instead of making it up. Bit risky though. :?

FreeRide
10th May 2004, 04:54 PM
I have had a B&M unit for my 2.2 ('02) on order with revolution wollongong since 18/2/04. they were initially told about 3-4 weeks for it to come in. About 2 weeks later Steve from Rev. rang me to say it would be about 12 weeks! since i'd already paid a deposit i am stiiiiiiilllllll waiting. He has one in his 01 vectra and it felt pretty damn good. It shortens the throw by 30% and the knob also sits lower by about 5cm.

Jass
10th May 2004, 04:58 PM
All i want to know is how the heck do you fit it, cause on the astra you need to lift the gear knob to hook it in reverse.

Anyone know how to do it without destroying the gear knob?

Anonymous
10th May 2004, 05:08 PM
why do you have a tacho in the passenger foot well thats just not right :shock:

FreeRide
10th May 2004, 05:46 PM
All i want to know is how the heck do you fit it, cause on the astra you need to lift the gear knob to hook it in reverse.

Anyone know how to do it without destroying the gear knob?

Hopefully I'll be able to tell you soon!!
It has the lift collar mechanism built in (according to the catalog). It had a picture of the unit and it seemed very un-complicated in design so i dont think it will be much more work than in any other car. cant help you with the destroying gear knobs bit...will keep you posted when or if it happens, maybe i'll watch the revolution guys install it, just in case.

frankie9fingers
15th May 2004, 02:54 PM
@ Jass:
it will look like a slightly modified version of the current mechanisim/plastic. it's just the locating clip that has to be repositioned to a higher spot.

@Corsa C owners:
I've been looking around at a few wreckers for the part but i've had no luck sofar. I'm also looking for an instrument cluster for my SRi (long story short: i broke the digi display)
but the job "looks" easy to do. making the reverse mech is the difficult part as it's plastic. Or i can make it without and all u have to worry about is accidently putting it in reverse.

Jass
15th May 2004, 05:37 PM
I placed my order for the quick shifter from rocket industries, should arrive in 13 weeks, decided to wait for it in order to save some cash on the freight.

lee683
15th May 2004, 06:16 PM
they still have the lift up reverse

and the tacho was there when i got the car

anicorsa
16th May 2004, 12:05 AM
@ Jass:
it will look like a slightly modified version of the current mechanisim/plastic. it's just the locating clip that has to be repositioned to a higher spot.

@Corsa C owners:
I've been looking around at a few wreckers for the part but i've had no luck sofar. I'm also looking for an instrument cluster for my SRi (long story short: i broke the digi display)
but the job "looks" easy to do. making the reverse mech is the difficult part as it's plastic. Or i can make it without and all u have to worry about is accidently putting it in reverse.

I also had a look at mine a couple of days ago. It seems easy to make it shorter, but like you said, the plastic reverse lock thing will need to be lowered somehow. :shock: