PDA

View Full Version : arrrrrrrrrrgh... why me!

woody
11th August 2006, 10:51 AM
Got pulled over last night and lost my license. Not a happy boy.. have to go to court on the 31st.

lowey22
11th August 2006, 10:52 AM
you were speeding?

RudeOne
11th August 2006, 10:52 AM
speeding i take it?

woody
11th August 2006, 10:53 AM
only a little bit

oneightoo
11th August 2006, 10:55 AM
how much over? and where?

lowey22
lol, that's all it takes. well, good luck in court.

CJB
sorry to hear man :(

woody
11th August 2006, 10:56 AM
was on lane cove road 12:30 am - police say that i was doing 145kmph - i say i was nowhere near that figure, but what can you do?

InsaneAsylum
11th August 2006, 10:58 AM
do they have proof you were doing 145km/h

woody
11th August 2006, 10:59 AM
they showed me the readout in their car but to me it was just a black box with a digital readout that said 145 ??? could have been a clock for all i know!

blueraven
11th August 2006, 11:51 AM
sorry, your screwed, plead guilty otherwise you could end up with a serious fine and a longer ban.

incidentally i may have also lost my license on points, but at least it wasnt in one hit :D

Misguidedangel
11th August 2006, 11:55 AM
plead insanity :D :D

LOL

bad luck mate

woody
11th August 2006, 12:11 PM
just wasn't thinking.. my divorce is coming up next week and i'd been to my mums to talk to her about it.. really wasn't in a good headspace when they pulled me over and just wasn't concentrating on what i was doing. I've found a solicitors who have 15 years experience in traffic offences and will go see them before I go to court.

CJB
11th August 2006, 12:40 PM
Mum works in the Courthouse, and she just said if you find a good enough solicitor, you can get off almost anything :D

Good luck man.

Red AH SRI T
11th August 2006, 01:59 PM
oh no :(

woody
11th August 2006, 02:24 PM
Mum works in the Courthouse, and she just said if you find a good enough solicitor, you can get off almost anything :D

Good luck man.

Willing to pay to not be banned for 12 months. Guess i'll just have to wait and find out.

CJB
11th August 2006, 02:27 PM
Willing to pay to not be banned for 12 months. Guess i'll just have to wait and find out.

Like they say, money talks.

You are lucky you didn't have your car impounded though I must say. :)

Misguidedangel
11th August 2006, 02:32 PM
its rare that happens in sydney... unless youre a complete tool... cos we have suspensions for being 30-40km over and 45km+ being 3 and 6 months consecutively...

sometimes they'll issue the suspension on the spot... depending on how much of a tool and of course the age/sex and speed they were doing...

Woody is it a 6month suspension? or have you lost all your points too? perhaps take it to court ask for a probationary license? or opt to attend the "safe driving course". Also do you need your car for work? If so take it to court and argue that... Is this your first suspension? (im presuming not, but thats just me stereotyping :D) if its your first, youve got a better chance of getting off...

but good luck anyway... although I think most people who get caught speeding should just cop it on the chin

CJB
11th August 2006, 02:35 PM
I had a friend who got done for speeding this week - and she has been nothing but a moody cow to me and everyone, and I hated saying this cos I understand - but - I said to her, you did the crime, you get the time, or in her case, the fine :D

So I agree to Em, if you speed, it's the risk you take being caught, yes it sucks... but when you speed, for whatever reason there has to be the expectation you will be caught. :(

woody
11th August 2006, 02:47 PM
Em, the officer said an immediate 3 month ban and issued me with a Field court appearance notice, which meant i have to go plead my case, if they find me guilty of dangerous speeding then it could be anywhere between 6 & 12 months. If they find me guilty of 45+ then it's again between 6 & 12 months but with 8 points.

** edit **

not real sure where the difference is??

Misguidedangel
11th August 2006, 02:48 PM
dayum!

that cop was an ass... no offence to coppers on the forum but yeh LOL

bad luck....

fingers crossed you don't get anally raped by the system

woody
11th August 2006, 02:52 PM
OK found this on the rta website :

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/penalties/serioustrafficoffences/otherdrivoffences.html

Not good.

Misguidedangel
11th August 2006, 02:55 PM
:eek: looks painful... :(

woody
11th August 2006, 02:56 PM
ummm yeah... :(

R3N
11th August 2006, 03:08 PM
bad luck mate... hope you get it sorted without much hassles.

they always seem to get you while you're down

woody
11th August 2006, 03:19 PM
they always seem to get you while you're down

Ain't that the truth...

Just want to get this year behind me and start a new one.

R3N
11th August 2006, 08:50 PM
i tried doing that once, but woke up after 15 hours, knackered as hell :D

Dee
11th August 2006, 08:56 PM
it must be that time for everyone to get speeding fines :( i got one last night for doing 119 in a 100 zone...

$150 and 3 points, im not gonna fight it, i'll admit i was doing 119... possibly even 120. **** happens, no more speeding for me if i can help it

MatsHolden
11th August 2006, 09:01 PM
it must be that time for everyone to get speeding fines :( i got one last night for doing 119 in a 100 zone...

$150 and 3 points, im not gonna fight it, i'll admit i was doing 119... possibly even 120. **** happens, no more speeding for me if i can help it

Geez $150 is pretty reasonable for 19k's over.

Dee
11th August 2006, 09:03 PM
yeah i thought so too ;) i got paid today, so 12 hours after i got the ticket i went and paid it... if only i could get a discount for prompt payment

MatsHolden
11th August 2006, 09:09 PM
yeah i thought so too ;) i got paid today, so 12 hours after i got the ticket i went and paid it... if only i could get a discount for prompt payment

haha if only

PaulyJ
12th August 2006, 01:40 AM
Its not everyday i dont talk sh!t, but today is the day.
I'm currently on my suspension, and what tipped me over was a stupid mistake (not speeding). I was being really good, driving carefully, but got raped anyway. Sorry to say Woody, but what you were doing was stupid, and regardless what you plead in court, you are going to loose your licence for a while, and also get a hefty fine.

The whole "argh why me?", it wouldn't have been you if you were doing the limit. Simple as that. You're the only one to blame, and now you're just going to have to suffer the consequences. I've been suffering for almost 5 months now (get my licence back sept 22), and i'll tell you this, when you do get it back, you wont be doing any of that shiat again. Not being able to do shiat is really showing me how important having a licence is, and i know how much i'll appreciate having it back. The strain it puts on family, partners, friends is really not worth a few seconds of breaking the law to have fun.

I know that when I get my licence back, I will be a different driver. I hope that this also teaches you a lesson in a way. I'm not having a go at you, dont get me wrong, but what you did was stupid, and i only hope that you learn from all of this.

Thats my 2c inc gst.

Charlatan
12th August 2006, 09:24 AM
Is that 145 in an 80 zone or 100 zone? Either way, you're fvcked! I wouldnt waste your money on a lawyer. 12 months should give you long enough to think about how stupid it was

low astra
12th August 2006, 09:49 AM
Is that 145 in an 80 zone or 100 zone? Either way, you're fvcked! I wouldnt waste your money on a lawyer. 12 months should give you long enough to think about how stupid it was

i dont think thats quite the attitude, if you are goin through a stressfull situation and the courts can see that this is not your usual driving pattern then sometimes they will be a little easer on you,

i think the only person that says you deserve a 12month suspension is someone that hasnt had to live through stress or the probablems that no licence causes

PaulyJ
12th August 2006, 10:58 AM
i think the only person that says you deserve a 12month suspension is someone that hasnt had to live through stress or the probablems that no licence causes

If you get anything less than 6 months consider yourself lucky.
I had to drive for 12 months without losing a point. I was following a group of cars into Elwood Beach carpark in Melbourne, and got pulled over for "Disobeying no entry sign". Yes, for that, it pushed me into a 6 months suspension. I was doing 15km/h, maybe even 10, nothing dangerous or stupid. Just didn't realise a sign and got d!cked.

What you've done is stupid, and i'm just being honest. Who knows what could've happened at that speed. Personally i think you'll get a minimum of 6 months, 12 months is a more likely suspension.

Let us know what happens.

low astra
12th August 2006, 11:25 AM
just so u know i just got my licence back after a 12month stint on one point, seriously, i got it back yesterday, 11/8/06 after my last effort, before that i got offered a year with no licence and $1000 fine,

i chose to pay $1600 or $1800 on a lawyer, and got it reduced to 2 months on a work licence and a $200 fine,

take good legal aid and you should be fine,

just admit you were doin the wrong thing and ask to applie for a work licence, and make sure you give reason as to why you need a licence,

my work licence was from 3am - 10pm 6 days a week due to the natuer of my employment,

mine was not a speeding fine however but was something that attracts a similar penality

180HOA
12th August 2006, 11:41 AM
I agree with PaulyJ 100%. You break the law and get caught, too bad.

And if stress affects someone to the point of doing 145km/h on a public road in the middle of Sydney, then I think it's good to get that person off the road, for the sake of the general public.

DirtyHarry
12th August 2006, 01:44 PM
you could compare it to drink driving. if you only drink regularly and then one night you have a bad day and decided to get pissed of your face, that doesnt give you the right to run into someone or smash the car. you shouldnt be on the road in the first place because you were emotionaly under stress, and if you remember doing your license, in the hand book, it tells you not to drive if your under stress, drunk, drugs etc. etc.

btm
14th August 2006, 08:33 AM
unfortunate woody... very unfortunate

sorry to hear man

but good luck with everything

rjastra
14th August 2006, 09:28 AM
My mate got pinged on a bike for a similar offence. 6+ months.

He just caught public transport to work, started dancing lessons and got into mtn biking. It's all about the spin you put on the situation.

Ohh.. better check with your insurance company. There is every chance you vehicles are no longer insured now that you have had your licence suspended. So, be very careful.

woody
14th August 2006, 02:50 PM
Wow thanks for all the kind words...

Pauly.. if i had intentionally been trying to break a world land speed record then yeah i'd totally agree with you that i really do deserve everything thats thrown at me.. however i wasn't, i made a mistake (yeah i'm only human) that mistake was driving home thinking about my upcoming divorce, my lack of funds, the breakdown of my current relationship and a thousand other things that i have going on right now rather than concentrating on the job at hand which was diving. I'm not stupid mate, there is no way i would conciously speed at like that. I f@#ked up.. and i'll pay for it.. but don't preach to me.. i don't need it!

woody
14th August 2006, 04:18 PM
Indication of whats to come: P Plated caught doing 126 in a School zone at 3:45pm got a $1583 dollar fine and six month suspension.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/general/pplater-clocked-at-126kmh-in-school-zone/2006/08/09/1154802953279.html

low astra
14th August 2006, 07:05 PM
mate, just take legal reps, and dress tidy, dont give it to much thought, its just a little thing really

R3N
14th August 2006, 07:09 PM
As long as no one was hurt in the incident (physically) and you learned something (valuable) from this, then I'd say its well worth it.

Everyone makes mistakes, no matter who you are... admitting you made a mistake and accepting responsibility is the best way of dealing with the situation.

And as rjastra said, take it as a lesson learnt and make the best of the outcome.

xplosv57
14th August 2006, 07:49 PM
My mate was doing 130kmh in a 70kmh zone a while back, lost his license for 1 year and then had 1 year of passenger restrictions (1 passenger only), because he was on his P's, he had to start the 3 years over again!

Just count yourself lucky it wasn't a worse situation where u were speeding and u lost conrol and hurt yourself or someone else! Just like rjastra and R3N said, take all the positives u can and try to turn things around!

And make sure u got heaps of cash on ya, coz from personal experience ur gonna be paying for petrol whenever someone drives u around!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! :)

PaulyJ
14th August 2006, 09:50 PM
Woody, if you post something like this on a public forums with hundreds of members, you're definately going to get people commenting and telling you that what you did was stupid. If you didnt want to hear that shiat, why did you post this up in the first place? Were you just expecting people to say "Sh!t sorry to hear... that sux... cops are morons..."?

With what you wrote in that last post to me, you were definately in no state to be driving.

thinking about my upcoming divorce, my lack of funds, the breakdown of my current relationship and a thousand other things that i have going on right now rather than concentrating on the job at hand which was driving.

You said it right there yourself. At the end of the day mate, yeah you stuffed up, I just hope that if you go to court, things go well for you, and you dont get anally raped (not literally) like I did.

nicecar
14th August 2006, 11:05 PM
Really sorry to hear it Woody :(,

May be worth checking out this site and make a post. Ok you may have been speeding but speed detection has errors, sometimes large ones depending on the environment.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=a49e0b54826ebe5f1f5ed7b8a573de54

also http://www.policespeedcameras.info/

low astra
14th August 2006, 11:37 PM
honestly i think most of us on here have mad mistakes like that, but when you can see there are a lot of stress factors playing into the equation you dont need to go and say tough ****, dont complain, cause lets face it if u got caught doing the same thing you would complain about it, especialy under the same conditions,

PaulyJ
14th August 2006, 11:50 PM
Personally, if I was Woody, I wouldn't have driven. Thats just me.

blk_tyga
15th August 2006, 06:27 PM
whats more important than arguing about what shouldve happened is concentrating on how to handle the situation... woody i can sympathise with u given ur current situation, the last thing u feel u need is another worry over all the ones u alredi had.... it seems that youve alredi accepted that u were in the wrong which is great, it shows remorse (which will fair well in court).. my advice, as a lot of ppl have posted is to get good legal aid, it wont get you off but it will contain the possible punishment and that way u will have one less worry because ur lawyer can manage the situation on your behalf... also, if you have to worry, worry about gettin ur head straight, it'll keep u alive and keep u from doin stupid sh!t in future...

... i can tell u this from experience coz i was pulled over by a cop on calder fwy last year for doing 117kms in 100km zone (before i spotted him and braked i was doin approx 180kms) and i had a few (not many) drinks (i was on probationary licence at the time).... what got me off, and believe me i was lucky to have been treated so well, was the fact that both my parents were in hospital and i was the only one workin and sustaining my family (the cop fined me for not having my p plates up) ... for me at least, i've never done more than 120kms since and i only get that fast if i need to overtake on the freeway or to limit my time on the wrong side of "b & c" roads.....

anyway, enough of a sob story, i hope that it all works out for you... i bet you can't wait for the new year to roll 'round

Dave
15th August 2006, 07:08 PM
That was lucky man !!!

Ive lost my lic aswell, and then was stupid and drove unlic, got caught and went to court. At the end of the day i learnt from my mistakes and have settled down alot now, not one speeding ticket and ive had it back for 6 mnths or so :)

I dont intend to loose it again, but stupid mistakes do happen. So im not gonna flame anyone, i know it sucks to be in that situation.

woody
22nd August 2006, 02:31 PM
Hey Blky.. tah for the sentiment..

Pauly, if i post something up here i expect what comes back.. like we all do..

I have sought legal advise and as i said to the solicitor... there is no way i was travelling at 145kmph.. we're fighting the case. There are many a mitigating factor.. one of these is the fact that the nsw police use a system called silver eagle, this system was designed for use on country roads and not metropolitan areas, it has been banned for use in QLD and WA as it was proven to be inaccurate in up to 50 % of cases. Excerpts from the handbook state that the unit should not be used on a bend in the road, or where the road undulates and that it can be affected by street signs, letter boxes, overhead wires and even birds. I was travelling downhill past road signs and around a bend.

I don't for a second belive that i was doing the speed stated by the cops, i don't hate them for saying it, i just think their equipment is not sufficient to do the job at hand. I'll fight it and let you know how i go.

Apex
22nd August 2006, 04:11 PM
Sorry to here about your license mate, things will all work out, one day you’ll look back and laugh.:o

I got pinged a week or so ago for doing 144kmh on the motorway, on the longest down hill straight you could imagine, breaking, at 3am with no other traffic in site, no ****.

Think us kiwis must have it sweet, I got 50 demerit points (100 before a loss of license)
A $510 fine (read revenue) and 28day license suspension.
What’s worse in my opinion is that the cop showed no concern for the speed I was traveling and didn’t even breathalies me, just gave me the fine and drove off?

Wouldn’t have bothered me to much as I work from home, but my new car tunes up next week and I won’t be able to drive the bloody thing.

Cheer up.

Graham

oneightoo
22nd August 2006, 04:12 PM
good luck woody..

PaulyJ
23rd August 2006, 05:00 PM
Isn't it illegal to get you speeding on a downhill road?
From what you've stated there dude, you have a strong case. Good luck with it all.

oneightoo
24th August 2006, 10:26 AM
woody, you may be interested in this..

i heard on nova this morning, that a man has gotten out of a speeding ticket because the speed camera's need to be calibrated every day to maintain accuracy.. if they arent, the readings are thrown out of court.. they also said that anyone who has gotten a speeding ticket in the last decade may be able to get a refund.. the rta would be up for 1 billion dollars.. your lawyer would know about it..

PaulyJ
24th August 2006, 11:17 AM
thats very interesting... hmmmm

blueraven
24th August 2006, 02:53 PM
i have challenged a fine on the grounds of calibration, trust me ...you will lose. they claim to calibrate them every morning (BS) but when you ask to see the calibration certificate, you will have to wait (while they create one). at the end of the day, your word against theirs, which only works if you have a good lawyer.

i got pinged doing supposedly 96 in a 60, i would have sworn i was doing 80-85 MAX...interesting thing was after being polite and not being an f-wit, they wrote it up as 85, not the 96 they showed me on the screen.

EL BURITO
24th August 2006, 02:54 PM
thats still 3 points.

oneightoo
24th August 2006, 02:57 PM
also, the case that was just won has set a precedent.. woody's lawyer can use that.. judge would have to go with it..

jerrypufflewell
25th August 2006, 06:01 PM
But was it camera or radar? I heard that recent ruling only applies to RTA cameras, i.e fixed..

oneightoo
25th August 2006, 06:12 PM
all speed radars/cameras need to be calibrated..

jerrypufflewell
25th August 2006, 06:14 PM
Well yes, but perhaps the police calibrate theirs more often. Anyway worth a try I suppose :)

oneightoo
25th August 2006, 06:14 PM
haha not if what my mate tells me is correct..

jerrypufflewell
25th August 2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah well I got no inside info ;)

jerrypufflewell
25th August 2006, 06:19 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cameras-up-to-speed-rta/2006/08/24/1156012670880.html

"
The authority's spokesman said that every one of its 113 fixed speed cameras were "inspected every 30 days, each undergoes a speed measurement test at least every six months as well as certification testing at least every 12 months - in accordance with the legislation. Our testing and maintenance regime meets and in many cases exceeds international best practice.""

:(

Anyway... I suppose it's not my place to be commenting I'm no lawyer :p

oneightoo
25th August 2006, 06:23 PM
ahh well.. i guess it's not enough considering that dude got let off..

CJB
27th August 2006, 07:40 PM
well I got done again... my own fault yes.

Caught by a cop on a motorbike with a gun, doing 100km in an 80 zone on the highway

$150 fine and 3 points.

I think I lose my licence now. My own fault of course.

PaulyJ
27th August 2006, 11:02 PM
tsk tsk tsk
back to the old horse n carriage for you... unless you need a horse riding licence up there...

woody
28th August 2006, 09:21 AM
The case that was recently in the courst was to do with calibration of cameras and not he actual speed registering device. The basis of it was that they could not conclude the vehicle in the picture was the one that was speeding and hence the case was dismissed. Calibration is only required at a 6 month basis for the in car (mobile) radar speed detecting devices (Silver Eagle) however this is a scientific device and the calibration must be carried out by an independant authority. Not by the police themselves.

I have subpoenad all documentation relating to the device Manufactureres operating manual, police handbook on device usage, calibration documentation etc etc etc. If the subpoenad information is not provided then (apparently) the case will go into continuation until such times as all documentation is provided as requested.

jerrypufflewell
28th August 2006, 10:42 AM
Excellent. You are well informed :) Good luck with that.

CJB
28th August 2006, 12:13 PM
tsk tsk tsk
back to the old horse n carriage for you... unless you need a horse riding licence up there...
Yeah, you most likely do. I could do what everyone else, drive unlicenced, or, hitch hike... whichever tickles my fancy.

I have to go to court more then likely, lucky for me, Mum can just take her 10 minute and come in with me.

Handy having her working there ;)

Sh1t, another bill to add to the list. :(

nicecar
30th August 2006, 03:03 PM
Woody, how was the Silver Eagle mounted, on the outside of the police car on the window?

They were mounted like this in WA and some expert proved that there were high errors due to the wind vibrating the sensor when the car was driven along.

WA police changed all the silver eagle to inside mounting with sucker pads on the windscreen. Best to check this with the one that got you.

Mrs T
6th September 2006, 06:02 PM
How did you go Woody???

I got off a 129 in an 80 zone on the 14th of last month.

I found it definatley worthwile to use a solicitor. The judge will definatley take into consideration your personal circumstances and should give you a little bit of leniency.

btm
7th September 2006, 09:17 AM
:eek: is Woody pregnant?? :p

Mrs T
7th September 2006, 07:23 PM
:eek: is Woody pregnant?? :p

he he no i didnt just use that.....

alot of different reasons, however that was one of them....

But i would also like to state that i dont believe i was doing that speed either and this was also taken into account. The policeman on the bike stated it was a speed check on the fine, but when he pulled me over he showed me a laser reading so i just accepted it at the time.