PDA

View Full Version : Respray

Opelise
8th August 2006, 07:10 PM
A really noobish question..

I have an Astra G SRi in metallic blue. I want it in white.

Is it possible to respray it? How much would it cost?

jerrypufflewell
8th August 2006, 07:22 PM
Yes. I don't know, lots.
Why? :p

Opelise
8th August 2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah I figured it would be lots.

White looks so much better than blue?

jerrypufflewell
8th August 2006, 07:23 PM
Never! How confident are you with a spray gun? ;)

Opelise
8th August 2006, 07:25 PM
I learnt from a very young age my place was in an office, wearing a nice suit and paying people to do any manual labour

:p

EL BURITO
8th August 2006, 07:27 PM
Well in my opinion if u are going to get a full respray get something unique like orange
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/WA04SXi/andyw-1.jpg
My mate was getting quotes for his Ute to be resprayed a different colour the costs were starting at $1700 to $3000
but u do pay for wat u get

nigel
8th August 2006, 07:28 PM
It is alot easier to respray the origanal colour,if you wish to change the colour you have to think about all the area that you dont see from out side the car eg; engine bay,door pannels etc. It can cost alot more $$$ if you want the job do right.

jerrypufflewell
8th August 2006, 07:30 PM
the costs were starting at $1700 to $3000
but u do pay for wat u get

Yeah I was thinking around $2k up (but wasn't game to say it)
I got quoted $1800 for re-skin of door and paint blending...

Opelise
8th August 2006, 07:32 PM
Haha I was afraid it'd be around that price.

Now being a uni student I have to decide between food or a white car..

Misguidedangel
8th August 2006, 07:39 PM
Leave it blue!!! White sux... unless its a nice white pearl... then it can look hot... but I'd keep eating rather than spraying the car

Assada
8th August 2006, 07:47 PM
Do u want a respray because you see a lot of swirl marks on ur blue becos its a daker color? Maybe a detailer will fix it for you. It'll save you a respray. Its an Astra G - its not like its 15 years old or anything. Also painting it a different color involves stripping the existing paint with paint stripper to the bare metal, while respraying the same color doesnt.

CAL.16V
8th August 2006, 08:49 PM
why would you want to respray a blue astra white when you can buy white astras?

biggest waste of money ever lol ..

just sell it and buy a white pone if you like the colour so much

gemstar_007
8th August 2006, 09:01 PM
Leave it blue!!! White sux... unless its a nice white pearl... then it can look hot... but I'd keep eating rather than spraying the car

hey.. white does not suck... :mad: white is the shiz.. ;) ;)
but if your gonna pay that much for a respay.. white is very common id go more for something like orange?? or something different. :D just my opinion.. but hey im a white fan!

jerrypufflewell
8th August 2006, 09:05 PM
If you want white you can probably sell this one & make a profit buying a similar white one yes?

lowey22
8th August 2006, 09:06 PM
white white white white white! paint the fcuker white! white is awesome, way better than blue and I don't recall seeing many white sri's?

im with you gem, we are the only cool enlightened ones :cool:

jerrypufflewell
8th August 2006, 09:10 PM
Oh SRi nevermind my mistake ;)

oOh just realised I am Senior now, how impressive :)

gemstar_007
8th August 2006, 09:13 PM
white white white white white! paint the fcuker white! white is awesome, way better than blue and I don't recall seeing many white sri's?

yep hehe no one else understands......... ;) ;)

Ginge
8th August 2006, 09:29 PM
i say dont bother
casue it will be some1 like me stuck with the job. lol

its not worth it mate. lower the resale most prob. and there is alot in a colour change as mentioned before. start price from 5gs and work up for quality

Wattie
9th August 2006, 07:08 AM
if you want a white car, there is one sitting in my garage... :)
not quite an SRi, but goes the same, and handles better. *ducks for cover*
oh and White is awesome, always looks clean, i've owned a black car, bastard to keep clean.

JohnBu
9th August 2006, 09:41 AM
for a proper job i would say $7k.. talking engine/trim out and respraying over ur blue duco

$3k if u want to properly respray in ur original colour..

woody
9th August 2006, 09:49 AM
resale value on white silver and black cars are higher then other colours.. because they are the most popular colours.

maloo97
9th August 2006, 10:54 AM
Go Silver :D

Opelise
9th August 2006, 11:02 AM
if you want a white car, there is one sitting in my garage... :)
not quite an SRi, but goes the same, and handles better. *ducks for cover*
oh and White is awesome, always looks clean, i've owned a black car, bastard to keep clean.

Haha. I did seriously think about it. I just still think i'm too young to be driving a family car (anything with more than 2 doors;))

The blue is impossible to keep clean, and it just never shines like a white car.

Opelise
9th August 2006, 11:04 AM
Do u want a respray because you see a lot of swirl marks on ur blue becos its a daker color? Maybe a detailer will fix it for you. It'll save you a respray. Its an Astra G - its not like its 15 years old or anything. Also painting it a different color involves stripping the existing paint with paint stripper to the bare metal, while respraying the same color doesnt.

Not so much the swirls, I would just prefer a white car. I'm kicking myself for buying the second SRi I saw.

Opelise
9th August 2006, 11:04 AM
yep hehe no one else understands......... ;) ;)

White is superior after all.

:D

Opelise
9th August 2006, 11:05 AM

Most the SRi's I see are blue or black. At least the 2.2 models anyway.

Wraith
9th August 2006, 12:40 PM
I agree with Pat, this is a big dollar and high workload exercise, I certainly wouldn't it do unless your intent on keeping that particular car for whatever reason.......

Going from one colour to a completely different one means you'll have to strip down and disassemble the entire car - you have to get the new colour into all the gaps, nooks and crannies, inside the doors, engine bay etc. etc.

Like John Bu mentioned at least the better part of 10k for a decent well done result.........

Best to sell your car and buy another in white.

MatsHolden
9th August 2006, 01:18 PM
Except he won't be able to buy an SRi, because pretty sure white wasn't available on them.

woody
9th August 2006, 01:28 PM
Definately know that you can get a 2002 SRI in white... would assume the colour range was available throught the model range. In fact there's an opelised one in sa on carsales:

http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=3156919&current_rec=25&used_rec=51&total_rec=55&sort_type=&total_rec=55&sort_type=&make_id=10&model_id=12&keyword=SRI"

PaulyJ
9th August 2006, 01:36 PM
Look, unless you're planning on doing something crazy with the car (ie. massive rims, engine work, show car stuff), there's no point wasting that amount of money just because you want a colour change.

CAL.16V
9th August 2006, 01:42 PM
you can get white sri's .. i know snotty has one frtom newcastle

MatsHolden
9th August 2006, 02:01 PM
you can get white sri's .. i know snotty has one frtom newcastle

kool kool, don't see many around do ya.

Wattie
9th August 2006, 02:09 PM
snottys isnt an SRi :)

EL BURITO
9th August 2006, 02:13 PM
yhere is a stock 2.2 sri up my way
(driver really hot 20 somthing brunett)

woody
9th August 2006, 02:25 PM
look on carsales there are 3 or 4 white ones listed

CAL.16V
9th August 2006, 02:26 PM
snottys isnt an SRi :)

learn something new everyday :)

sure looked that way

blueraven
9th August 2006, 03:10 PM
you will be looking at 5k min for a reasonable colour change. 3k min for same colour....

not worth it by a long shot, just sell up and buy a white car...

(and you are delerious if you think a white car is gonna be easier to keep looking clean than a blue one!! black and white are the hardest colours to keep looking clean.)

woody
9th August 2006, 03:23 PM
for cleanliness go silver.. also hides scratches better

JohnBu
9th August 2006, 04:53 PM
you will be looking at 5k min for a reasonable colour change. 3k min for same colour....

not worth it by a long shot, just sell up and buy a white car...

(and you are delerious if you think a white car is gonna be easier to keep looking clean than a blue one!! black and white are the hardest colours to keep looking clean.)

actually white cars are the easiest to keep clean/keep looking clean..

thats why fleet cars use them.. black is the worst (but best looking after a detail)

jerrypufflewell
9th August 2006, 04:56 PM
I thought the reason was that traditionally white was cheaper.

woody
9th August 2006, 05:21 PM
totally correct jpw - white is/was fleet car standard as it was the cheapest paint to purchase and required less paint for coverage over the primer. as for keeping clean.. give it ten minutes on a busy road and write your name in the traffic film.

jerrypufflewell
9th August 2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah dirty exhaust does wonders for white paint :p
I also noticed that after the last bushfires there were all these cars driving around with grey tops rofl

btm
10th August 2006, 05:48 PM
silver is the schazizle :)

Misguidedangel
11th August 2006, 11:58 AM
Just don't get a green one .... or spray it green....

green is bad :p

Go out and buy a white SRi if you really want a white one... or just deal with having a dark blue car that shows dirt all the time

Ginge
14th August 2006, 12:01 PM
Just don't get a green one .... or spray it green....

green is bad :p

Go out and buy a white SRi if you really want a white one... or just deal with having a dark blue car that shows dirt all the time

whats wrong with a green 1... mines green, i resprayed it green and im gonna respray it green again.

ent11c
15th August 2006, 12:32 PM
it would cost a fair bit bcause you will have strip the blue off to paint it white. if you were going white to blue it wouldnt be as bad cause you can use the white as a base colour. i would estimate between 3500 to 5500 just because there is a fair bit of work involved.