PDA

View Full Version : Calibra Engine

causisayso
7th August 2006, 04:21 PM
hey guys,

i only just registered here today so im relatively new at this **** so bare with me ok?

just a quick question, ive been offered a 98 calibra for $4000, catch is its got a warped and quite possibly cracked head, my problem here now is to try to find another motor with low k's to drop into it, ive tried searching for wreckers on the net but i'm not having much luck, ive also been told that if i wanted i could get one built for it but it would take 8 weeks before i received it and it would cost me around $8,500!

i'm trying to get out of this as cheap as possible and would prefer to find a wrecked calibra to pinch the motor from providing it has low k's

if any one knows any web sites or wreckers or anything that could help it would be greatly appreciated!

i'm only new to the calibra scene and love the look of them, the only way i could afford one is to buy this one and get a used motor for it! so i hope someone would be able to help

thanx

causisayso
7th August 2006, 04:22 PM
oh by the way i'm in melbourne if that helps at all!!!:confused:

MatsHolden
7th August 2006, 04:45 PM
Bennets wreckers out in Dandenong I think they are, have a lot of Opel parts. They may be able to help you, although the Calibra engines are quite rare.
Their number is 97915477

InsaneAsylum
awesome... well then you're not too far away from benet motor wreckers in bennet st dandenong. he will have what you want.... for a price

InsaneAsylum
smart minds think alike :D

MatsHolden
7th August 2006, 04:49 PM
smart minds think alike :D
lol thats it.:D

oneightoo
7th August 2006, 05:05 PM
try these websites..

they are the calibra forums.. you might find it cheaper to get it fixed rather than buy a whole new engine..

http://www.clubcalibra.org

http://www.holden-calibra.org/bbs

post a question on there with the cali guys.. even search for it.. there was a thread not so long ago where a member got a porous head rebuilt for around $1k..

causisayso
7th August 2006, 05:13 PM
thanx guys, i will call bennetts tomoz, anything else at all you guys have got at all, feel free to post, oh ny the way is there a 98 model calibra, ive tried searching it but '96 is the closest ive seen

MatsHolden
7th August 2006, 05:17 PM
I think '97 was the last of them.

oneightoo
7th August 2006, 05:18 PM
yeah i thought it was.. it might have been originally sold in 98 as a "run out" sale.. still would be a 97 model tho..

CAL.16V
8th August 2006, 12:00 AM
good uck finding a 97 model aswell... deffinately no 98s here either

Wraith
8th August 2006, 12:58 PM
thanx guys, i will call bennetts tomoz, anything else at all you guys have got at all, feel free to post, oh ny the way is there a 98 model calibra, ive tried searching it but '96 is the closest ive seen

YES there are........not by build date, but by sold and first registered date.

The last build dates you'll find are '97.

Calibras were officialy removed from GMH showroom floors near the end of '97.

There were quite a number sold and registered in '98.

Most insurance companies insure Calibras til '98.

I believe I have the last one sold in Australia and mine is a '99 first sold and registered date.

As for your original question - check the classifieds, because if your on a tight budget, going to the wreckers isn't the answer.

I've seen lots of Cali engines at wreckers and most are asking high "rip off" prices for them and have no proof of travelled km especially if they've been already removed from the car.

Re-building it is your best bet, if you could do most of the work yourself, you would save lots of $$$$ otherwise you might just have to cough out, lucky for you it's not a V6, or else you'd be up for mega bucks......

Another option is to use a different engine, I know of at least one person who's used a Nissan 2.0ltr transplant in his 4 pot Cali.

CAL.16V
8th August 2006, 05:21 PM
I believe I have the last one sold in Australia and mine is a '99 first sold and registered date.

bet your engine plaque still says complied 96/97 .. when it was first registered dosenmt really matter

MatsHolden
8th August 2006, 05:24 PM
Opel ceased production of the Calibra in late '97. So there's no 'real' '98 Calibras as such.

Wraith
21st August 2006, 08:57 AM
bet your engine plaque still says complied 96/97 .. when it was first registered dosenmt really matter

Just noticed this one......

Answer Nope !

It says 12/98 - December 1998.