PDA

View Full Version : Joke of an offer for TS Astra Turbo

drewm
1st August 2006, 08:22 PM
Check this out. I got this reply tonight to my Carsales advertisement for my Astra Turbo (as listed elsewhere on this site).

I find the offer offensive at best. Anyone know about this car at Zupps? I assume either:
-The car had accident history
-Zupps underpriced and pulled the sale
-$23,000 was after a trade-in
-This is one of those deals where you never get your money but ship your car off to someone....
What do you all reckon???

"Hi,
Just looking at your car on the internet. We actually had an Astra lined up thru Zupps (Bris) 04 plated, black SRI Turbo 16,000 kms
for $23,000. Had already transferred money to Zupps account. Rang looking for car wondering why hadn't been delivered & couldn't get
straight answer. Found out Friday it had fallen off the dealer's 2 post hoist and may possibly be a write off! So here we are again
looking for another SRI Turbo.... Obviously we have a budget in mind and we have to get the car to Cairns. We are serious buyers
with money ready to go and would like to buy a car this week. We're not tyre kickers. We would be willing to pay $21,500 for your
car, as is, where is, obviously we have had to take into account freight, stamp duty and qld registration and will supply our own
RWC. We have made an offer on 3 cars we like and are keen to buy. If you would like to contact me, please call me anytime on my
mobile: XXX, or reply to my email (weekdays): XXX
Looking forward to your reply,
XXX"

Dee
1st August 2006, 08:24 PM
ring zupps and ask them if they have had a car fall of the stands recently... see if that part of the story shapes up

just make sure you tell them your side of the story too.. so they dont think you are crazy

Ginge
1st August 2006, 08:26 PM
far out. no way
bad luck to them for losing the other car
but noway would i let my car go for that much

keep waiting for them right buyer mate

Shaun
1st August 2006, 08:27 PM
The Prices on Used SRi T have fallen with the recent release of the new SRi T AH and with all the other Hot Hatches hitting the market.

Ring Zupps and explain to them you have had an offer on your car with the story you have been giving.

But if someone offered me 21,500k now for my SRi T i wouldnt even think twice about saying yes. It would gone .

Shaun

blueraven
1st August 2006, 09:17 PM
its not that far off for an average condition one...a mint low k's srit should be closer to 25 tho...

holden offered me 22k trade in on a vxr...

phat-dave
1st August 2006, 09:39 PM
my lease is up in 2 yrs for my ah sri and if i got anything over 15k being the residual i'd be over the moon

JohnBu
2nd August 2006, 10:40 AM
my lease is up in 2 yrs for my ah sri and if i got anything over 15k being the residual i'd be over the moon

Dibs on your car! haha

i would say after 2 years and assuming 50,000km, average condition, u should be able to get $20k easily

true, if someone wanted my TS turbo for $21,500, i'd have a 350z in my driveway.

phat-dave
2nd August 2006, 12:37 PM
well $35k over two years with an assumed 50% depreciation is only 17k and i think the current depreciation schedule is pretty much on par given the climate of used cars... in fact before I got this car I had an immacuately vyii ss which basically saw me tear up $20k in 18 months... what a joke

1 yr - 45%, 2yr - 50%, 3 yr - 55%, 4yr - 60%, 5yr - 70%

so an 03 sri @ 37k brand new would really be closer to 21k mark which is what theyre offering

Wraith
2nd August 2006, 01:22 PM
Yes, second hand car values are always a matter of concern.

As far as an Asrtra Sri T '03 is concerned, the values are something like this - info from the age - red book I believe is similar:

Trade in 21-25k depending on km and condition.

Private Sale 22-27k depending on km and condition.

It's always difficult to get the top end of the market values when you sell, even if the car is low km's and immaculate.

In all honesty, if you really want to sell it and get a firm offer of 21.5k then do so, as with time the value will decrease further, or otherwise do as BR's done and get a couple of trade in quotes, it will depend of course on what you are buying next and the dealer in question.

I agree with the notion that due to the release of the AH turbo models and other hot hatches, selling an Astra G Sri T will now be much more difficult, because of the greater choice available, to people wanting these type of cars.

This will not drop the above listed values, just make less people available who would normally be interested in buying a s/h turbo Astra.

blueraven
2nd August 2006, 01:24 PM
redbook is ALOT less :(

says 17k to 21k trade in...

(a joke considerinng i bought mine for 24 when it was advertised at 28 on 4 months ago..and have spent almost 6k since!!)

drewm
2nd August 2006, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I am aware of the redbook value ranges, that the release of the AH SRiT will push prices down, etc. Naturally as a seller I have looked at these factors.

What has been left out of the posts is the consideration given on a trade-in. The combined value of the trade-in price and additional savings on a purchased car (eg VXR) from the dealer is the actual trade value realised.

This is an immaculate, 20,000km example and a quick review of selling prices in the marketplace shows a value of $21,500 close to the mark for a 90-100,000km vehicle.

While the email I received presents a story of a fantastic buy with an unhappy (& unlikely) ending, any seller should be wise to avoid someone who suggests you put your car on transport to them. Brokering a deal over the phone or email is inherently risky and you have to question why someone would spend that much cash on a car sight unseen and true condition unknown.

Long story short (!)......... I think this tale of woe, and the low offer, is a funny read and that is all. I don't think it is even worth taking the email seriously. I hope if someone else this person is sending the same email to sells to them, they end up with cash at the end of the day and it isn't a dodgy deal waiting to go sour.

By the way, I would follow up with Zupps whether the story of the black Astra is true, only with the amount of dealerships they have, that could take a lot of phone calls.....

Cheers

Shaun
2nd August 2006, 05:16 PM
Do you want a quick sale or do you want to sit on it for a while? if you want the money you want for it you will get it. No one is disputing that you wont get the ammount. Just out of interest how much are you asking for it ?

Ive seen an Arden Blue one on the Lot for $28,990 in Sydney and a Silver SRi T for $24,990. I think $28,990 is over priced personally. $24,990 is reasonable.

vectraguy01
2nd August 2006, 05:17 PM
well to travel a car up to cairns from bne only costs 350-450 tops, i know as i work for a transport company, they are so taking you for a ride, if you really want to sell it to them, tell me 23k or dont waste my time emailing back and forth, if ur serious about buying my car call me, dame stupid zupps fools.

R3N
2nd August 2006, 07:02 PM
Honestly, in my opinion, the release of the current hot hatches (ie. AH SRiT, VXR, Golf GTi, Golf R32 etc) will make people more aware of these sort of cars. In my eyes, most people are sheep, they follow the trend.

Media especially plays a big part in this as to what your average joe hears, reads, sees. Once they get interested in this they will start doing their own "research" and find that they have missed out due to ignorance.

And it makes sense, with the soaring fuel prices, hatches like these provide a more economical alternative yet retain some of the comfort/performance of say a v6/v8 sedan.

So, my point is that as people become more and more aware of these cars, and their knowledge of these cars increases they will start wanting one. And if they cannot afford to buy brand new, they will turn to the second hand market. So you will have all these people who have been recently converted, flooding the second hand market in search of these cars.

This is merely my stated opinion. I realise not everyone thinks the same, but its just a different line of thought to consider.

Shaun
2nd August 2006, 07:17 PM
In Saying that R3N it could happen this way too. Not everyone can afford to buy a 34,990 + car . But the Earlier models also have there benefits too. They can be modded now. Yes there isnt a great deal around for a SRi T atm but with the Release of the New SRi T and the forthcoming VXR and seeing the VXR is proving to be Popluar with Buys According to HSV things could change in that respect of Aftermaket items.

I have a Feeling that Walkinshaw Preformance will offer Products for the Current AH SRi T and for the HSV VXR. If they are engine Parts or remaps they could be fitted to the TS SRi T.

My gut feeling is the TS SRi T's arround are coming out of warranty. Mine has and its a June 03 Model. So people with these models now will sell. Upgrade to a later model Car then a younger market will buy the TS SRi T and start modding the cars.

But the New SRi T has pushed the TS SRi T prices down somewhat. And i have a feeling that the VXR will do the same to the TS SRi T again.

Shaun

jvl
3rd August 2006, 12:26 AM
Keep in mind with that Astra at Zupps (condition aside) had/has been there for a long long time.

I bought my SRi Turbo 3-4 weeks ago from Motorama and the black one was at Zupps then and had been on Carsales for at least a 6 weeks before that (It was my plan B if I couldnt get the one I did). Hence they are getting desparate to sell it (hence the low price).

When I was looking most SRi Turbos (private sale) were around $24-25k. So $21k is probably a little on the low side (depending on k's).

Just my 2cents - Good luck with the sale!

Edit: Id probably believe the $23k as a price before trade - as it was nearly $30k when I bought mine, and then a few weeks after they dropped it to $25k.

RudeOne
3rd August 2006, 08:49 AM
I'd have to agree with what was said before.

1.New model has come out.
2.VXR is on its way
3.Car's out of warranty
4.Car's getting to 60,000kms +
5.Everyone selling up to upgrade or just to aviod further losses - its a supply and demand thing. The more there are for sale the less the price and vice versa.

CAL.16V
3rd August 2006, 01:19 PM
the same year model s15 or rex are similarily priced at arond 24-25 k for a cheap on so you cant complain