PDA

View Full Version : Hi all - TS Astra Turbo - questions

merlin
24th July 2006, 08:28 AM
Hi all, this is my first post – I recently bought a 2003 TS Astra Turbo coupe in black. Very happy with the car - great performance whilst maintaining excellent fuel consumption and a very comfy interior. I just need to sort out a couple of little things
that I was hoping you could all help me out with:

1) I went to change the oil, and found some weird looking star shaped sump plug which looks fairly rooted. Where can you buy this special tool and can the plug be replaced with a conventional sump plug?
2) I’m not really a Holden fan, what is the least damaging way to remove the rear Holden circle badge and ASTRA badge?
3) Headlights are ****e is this a common thing with these cars or am I going night blind?
4) Interior light was broken so I bought a replacement bulb. Fitted it up and the light came on. Only problem is it wont turn off! Put the alarm on, walk away, wait 20 minutes come back and it is still on – so only solution was to remove the bulb again – any advice on this?
5) Brakes feel pretty weak (even the wife commented on this one) – once again is this a common thing or maybe need a bleed? Pads are fine.

Thanks.

jerrypufflewell
24th July 2006, 09:16 AM
3- what car are you used to? (just trying to make a comparison :))

MatsHolden
24th July 2006, 09:20 AM
Did you import a Astra G Coupe?:eek: Or do you mean 3 door hatch? Because we didn't get the Coupe in Aus.:(

With the badge, unless you are planning on buying an Opel flash badge for the rear don't take it off, as you will be left with a hole in the body work. The Astra badge however you can remove.

Brakes shouldn't feel weak or vague. Should get them checked out.

And the light staying on... did you replace the globe with a same spec globe?

Turblue
24th July 2006, 09:25 AM
1) Torx drivers. I got mine from ebay, but any large hardware/auto business should have them. Get a new plug from Holden.

2) Removing the rear Holden badge will leave two holes. We usually replace them with Opel badges. Do a search for removing badges. Many varied methods.

3) Never noticed that issue.

4) Possibly a short to ground (frame). Check the door switches. Also ( I know it's daft) just make sure the headlight switch is pushed in. Pulling it out turns the interior light on.

5) GET THEM CHECKED..!!!! The SRiT brakes are pretty damm good.

Shaun
24th July 2006, 09:54 AM
3) Do the head lamps seem to have like a flim over them ? Mine do for some reason but som plastic cleaner takes it off and the lights be come brighter then.

Shaun

merlin
24th July 2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the replies so far - to answer a few questions:

3- what car are you used to? (just trying to make a comparison :))

I did have a BA Falcon XR6, and currently spend 50% of my time commuting on a Honda CBR600F4i road bike with the other 50% in the Astra.

Did you import a Astra G Coupe?:eek: Or do you mean 3 door hatch? Because we didn't get the Coupe in Aus.:(

No its a regular Aus delivered 2 door Sri Turbo - sorry I just refer to 2 door cars as coupes...

With the badge, unless you are planning on buying an Opel flash badge for the rear don't take it off, as you will be left with a hole in the body work. The Astra badge however you can remove.

Yeah i am planning on replacing the circle lion badge with the opel badge (I have already done the front) but with the one off ebay it is quite a large badge (which matched the front), the rear is a lot smaller - I cant seem to find these on ebay, if anyone could help me with a link would be great.

3) Never noticed that issue.

4) Possibly a short to ground (frame). Check the door switches. Also ( I know it's daft) just make sure the headlight switch is pushed in. Pulling it out turns the interior light on.

5) GET THEM CHECKED..!!!! The SRiT brakes are pretty damm good..

3) - maybe I am just used to the falcon lights which are quite good.
4) - thanks for that info I will have a look at the grounding and the switches.
5) - Hmm think I might change fluid and bleed as they really lack bite.

Nem
24th July 2006, 10:36 AM
3) Headlights are ****e is this a common thing with these cars or am I going night blind?

I know my headlights have been sun affected and the lenses loose their clarity. Its the reason I'm trying to pick up a pair of Hella replacements. I guess it might polish off but I'm not sure.

kirssn
24th July 2006, 12:57 PM
Headlights - Nem - that is what happened to mine, never happened to the clear ones but the turbo ones did exactly what you've said, i got holden to replace mine under warranty but have got the used set still (different to the ones sold earlier ) Mick just waxed them and they came up a treat and we have put them in mums astra to see whether they are back to normal and they are.....

Captjono
24th July 2006, 09:37 PM
As for the headlights...yer, they are just crap!

I have read many reviews on the SRiT (and drive one), and one common complaint (among many glowing praises) is that the headlights aren't very good and put a very angular shape on the road instead of a nice spread.

Try playing around with the headlight angle control a bit...it may improve it a little for you.

DirtyHarry
24th July 2006, 10:27 PM
with the interior light, it should turn off pretty much straigh away when you lock the car. i think even if you leave it on manually it will turn off after a while.
it could be whoever hooked up the alarm, may have done an incorrect job and hence why the light stays on.

merlin
28th July 2006, 10:19 AM
Anyone able to help out - where can i buy the rear opel badge from to replace the lion badge - cant find any on ebay the correct size?

CAL.16V
28th July 2006, 02:27 PM
well whats the correct size? i have some but would need the correct size or gm part numbers to confirm?

merlin
31st July 2006, 08:34 AM
well whats the correct size? i have some but would need the correct size or gm part numbers to confirm?

It is 2.5 inches in diametre.

blueraven
31st July 2006, 11:37 AM
go to LMF vauxhall.. they do littl "opelise" packages and separate badges...