PDA

View Full Version : Eyeing the Astra Coupe...

SAPH
22nd July 2006, 05:41 PM
Hi All,

is it worth replacing my 2 years 'old' SXI with only a cosmetically new Cupe?

Or wouldn't just be smarter waiting for the hopefully technically advanced next Astra models due in 4-5 years time?

Your thoughts please?

EL BURITO
22nd July 2006, 07:02 PM
wait for the MY07 updates and possibly the 2.2L all due next year by the looks of things the New Astra weights more than your currant Astra SXI so may feel a bit slugish so u may want to see what the 1.8 is like to drive

Red AH SRI T
23rd July 2006, 12:10 PM
MY07 updates (the AH7) will be due in October/November.

The coupe will be available in SRi 2.2

bill142
23rd July 2006, 12:17 PM
Hi All,

is it worth replacing my 2 years 'old' SXI with only a cosmetically new Cupe?

Or wouldn't just be smarter waiting for the hopefully technically advanced next Astra models due in 4-5 years time?

Your thoughts please?

Some how, with the recent trend, we will be lucky to see the new astra here.

imay
23rd July 2006, 01:08 PM
I strongly recommend you wait. How long is up to you, but wait at least until the next upgrade.
I bought a CD (Astra G) and took delivery 2 weeks before the CDX was released and have been kicking myself ever since. So many more features for only a few dollars more.
You will never be in front, but you will probably get some of the features that aren't even on the options list of the current model. Check out the Vauxhall and Opel web sites to see the list of "gizmos" on offer on their latest models and compare it to Holden's current offering. If they have available features that you would like, hang off for a while and see if they become available on our next model upgrade.

Alfonzo
23rd July 2006, 02:22 PM
Sorry Blackie, does that mean the Coupe is available in a third SRi variant then? (half asleep, not processing properly)
Given the CDX is $26,990, this'd be priced low to mid $30k I'd assume?

MatsHolden
23rd July 2006, 03:24 PM
Sorry Blackie, does that mean the Coupe is available in a third SRi variant then? (half asleep, not processing properly)

There's the SRi Turbo Coupe just been released, and there'll be the 2.2L N/A Coupe. The SRi turbo is priced at 34,990 so the SRi will be more around 28k I would think.

Alfonzo
23rd July 2006, 04:21 PM
Should sell well if it's under $30k then :) A 2.2L will be a welcome addition, given the only other NA engine is the same 1.8L we saw in the TS...

MatsHolden
23rd July 2006, 04:48 PM
The 2.2L will be the same 2.2 that was in the TS NA SRi too.

Red AH SRI T
23rd July 2006, 06:05 PM

The only SRi's in the AH range come AH7 update will be SRi 2.2 5 dr hatch, SRi 2.2 3dr coupe and SRi turbo 2.0 Coupe

Not sure of price yet

although it should be around $30K

Wraith
24th July 2006, 01:12 PM
Sorry to go off topic, but may I ask regarding the new AH Astra 3 door variants - is it a coupe or hatch ?? to me it's a hatch....I may be wrong though.

Are people refering to it as a coupe because unlike the Astra G, there's no separate coupe version yet or has it officially been designated a coupe ??

JohnBu
24th July 2006, 01:45 PM
its really a hatch but they call it a coupe..

how about waiting say 2 years, then picking up a 1-2 year old astra coupe turbo for $30k or so..

or wait a while, save some more money and getting a more powerful car..

as good as the new coupe is looks wise, the base model will be slower than your existing car.

changing cars is a great way to burn money.. haha

MatsHolden
24th July 2006, 02:48 PM
Sorry to go off topic, but may I ask regarding the new AH Astra 3 door variants - is it a coupe or hatch ?? to me it's a hatch....I may be wrong though.

Are people refering to it as a coupe because unlike the Astra G, there's no separate coupe version yet or has it officially been designated a coupe ??

Opel designers designed it as being a 3 door Coupe. So it is a Coupe. Vauxhall call it a sports hatch. If it was just exactly the same as the five door hatch but with 2 doors deleted, then it would be classified as a hatch. It blurs the line between hatch and coupe, which is what the designers wanted to achieve.

bill142
24th July 2006, 06:51 PM

how about waiting say 2 years, then picking up a 1-2 year old astra coupe turbo for $30k or so..

as good as the new coupe is looks wise, the base model will be slower than your existing car.

in europe it's called a sports hatch.

SAPH
24th July 2006, 07:02 PM

you are right re burning money on new car is no good

however my concern is the resale value say after an additional 1-2yrs (+30K km) would not be that brilliant on the SXi...who knows

MatsHolden
24th July 2006, 07:52 PM
in europe it's called a sports hatch.

Vauxhall call it a Sports Hatch, but Opel don't.

pred8r
24th July 2006, 08:40 PM
Would I be correct in stating that the difference between a coupe and hatch would basically that the coupes rear window is attached to the shell whereas in a hatch the window is in the the rear door?

MatsHolden
24th July 2006, 08:53 PM
Theres really no set rule, but as I stated before the Opel designers designed it as a 3 door coupe. It isn't a traditional hatch the way for example the 3 door Barina is. The SAE defines a Coupe as being "a fixed-roof automobile with less than 33 ft³ (0.93 m³, 934.6 L) of rear interior volume". A coupe doesn't neccessarily have to have 2 doors also.

Jai
26th July 2006, 12:01 AM
just to go slightly off topic... but about the 'coupe' arguement... look at the toyota supra's... they run a similar style of 'hatch' but are called a coupe.

also from what i have heard from holden here.. there is no plan to bring the 2.2NA coupe or the 5 door turbo to aus?

MatsHolden
26th July 2006, 12:10 AM
just to go slightly off topic... but about the 'coupe' arguement... look at the toyota supra's... they run a similar style of 'hatch' but are called a coupe.

also from what i have heard from holden here.. there is no plan to bring the 2.2NA coupe or the 5 door turbo to aus?

Think they only said it was the 2.2 Coupe and 5 door that they've heard may be heading here, not the 5 door turbo.

Red AH SRI T
26th July 2006, 07:57 AM
yes 2.2 NA will come in both 5 door and Coupe, no plans that i know of for the 5 door SRi Turbo.

Wish they would stick the 2.2 or the diesel in the Wagon

Jai
26th July 2006, 10:38 AM
thats if they can get them out of europe.... hahah we only got 6 SRi T's in WA... and only in black and silver.. no white...

MatsHolden
26th July 2006, 10:47 AM
thats if they can get them out of europe.... hahah we only got 6 SRi T's in WA... and only in black and silver.. no white...

Yeh it's annoying you have to special order white.

Wraith
26th July 2006, 01:37 PM
Would I be correct in stating that the difference between a coupe and hatch would basically that the coupes rear window is attached to the shell whereas in a hatch the window is in the the rear door?

As far as I know I think this is exactly right, and also if there is a separate boot compartment it is a coupe.......but as Mat mentioned car manufacturing marketing departments have blurred the line, wanting to call all their 2 door models coupes, because it sounds better than hatch or station wagon.

I'll have to research this topic to find some answers.

Pom
27th July 2006, 07:20 AM
re 3 door or 5 door.....have a look at the 3 door focus st (UK version of the xr5) in Aussie London's great shots of the London motor show..demonstrates how much better the 3 door version looks than the 5 door retiree special that they are offering in Oz!

Wraith
27th July 2006, 12:47 PM
Your absolutely right.......3 door versions always look better than their 5 door counterparts.

And it's a damn crime the way we don't get all the offerings here on Oz on all these type of cars.

imay
27th July 2006, 12:51 PM
yes 2.2 NA will come in both 5 door and Coupe

Not according to the Opel website! Checked their configurator here http://www.opel.de/shop/cars/astra/config/quick1.act;jsessionid=GLnkBbxk8JhP9FnsCLzk5z1q3GqG 0MSSjQlTJYQTyJpq0VtVKWBP!-66336761!1004034888?reset=true and there is no 2.2 available in their range of Astra at all. And as they are about 12 light years ahead of Australia, I can only presume this talk of a new 2.2 is all a vicious rumour.

In light of current petrol prices, and especially the price they pay in Europe compared to our "cheaper" fuel, all European manufacturers of "family" cars are heading to smaller petrol engines, not bigger.
I think we are the last in line to get the 2.2 offered in the G version of Astra. The 2.2 is no more it seems!

Red AH SRI T
27th July 2006, 07:52 PM
Well you don't work for holden, so in regards to this you know jack sh!t

Woops, that was a bit rude :eek:

Mark my words, HOLDEN ARE INTRODUCING THE ASTRA IN 2.2L IN BOTH 5 DOOR AND 3 DOOR!

Have a nice day :D

jerrypufflewell
27th July 2006, 07:58 PM
Well in that case- Get set to Parté!

Red AH SRI T
27th July 2006, 08:07 PM
May i have another drink?

imay
28th July 2006, 04:12 PM
Well you don't work for holden, so in regards to this you know jack sh!t

What's that all about?

No, I don't work for Holden. You have no idea who I work for. I am actually connected to a media organisation, but that has absolutely no influence on my comments at all. My information was obtained in part from the mentioned website (and others based in Europe) that indicate that the Opel Astra (which comes from Europe) does NOT have a 2.2 motor included in its list of engine configurations. I merely presumed that if Opel don't offer it in Europe, it is highly unlikely that Holden, Vauxhall, or any other seller of the OPEL Astra is going to offer a powerplant that OPEL don't have in their line-up. I may be wrong, gee that's happened before, but I was merely making an observation that it appears that Opel have dropped the 2.2, in favor of the engines that they have listed on their website.
So even though I don't work for Holden (I didn't realise that automatically made me an automotive genius), I don't know jack sh!t, I've never met him, but I can guess that you may be related to him if you pass comments like that!

MatsHolden
28th July 2006, 06:05 PM
The 2.2L hasn't died as yet... is still used by other GM manufacturers such as Fiat. :)

Red AH SRI T
29th July 2006, 11:51 AM
What's that all about?

No, I don't work for Holden. You have no idea who I work for. I am actually connected to a media organisation, but that has absolutely no influence on my comments at all. My information was obtained in part from the mentioned website (and others based in Europe) that indicate that the Opel Astra (which comes from Europe) does NOT have a 2.2 motor included in its list of engine configurations. I merely presumed that if Opel don't offer it in Europe, it is highly unlikely that Holden, Vauxhall, or any other seller of the OPEL Astra is going to offer a powerplant that OPEL don't have in their line-up. I may be wrong, gee that's happened before, but I was merely making an observation that it appears that Opel have dropped the 2.2, in favor of the engines that they have listed on their website.
So even though I don't work for Holden (I didn't realise that automatically made me an automotive genius), I don't know jack sh!t, I've never met him, but I can guess that you may be related to him if you pass comments like that!

sorry, i didn't mean it to sounds like i was attacking you

*HUGZ*

I know Opel is currently not using it in the Astra but it was such a popular car here in Oz that Holden has decided to re-introduce it. Will be in showrooms in November. YEEEHHAAAA!!!!

R3N
29th July 2006, 01:43 PM
Theres really no set rule, but as I stated before the Opel designers designed it as a 3 door coupe. It isn't a traditional hatch the way for example the 3 door Barina is. The SAE defines a Coupe as being "a fixed-roof automobile with less than 33 ft³ (0.93 m³, 934.6 L) of rear interior volume". A coupe doesn't neccessarily have to have 2 doors also.

I doubt it has anything to do with rear interior volume. Take a look at the Merc CLS, its classed as a 4-door coupe. I agree about the 2 doors thing though, the RX8 is also a coupe, with 4 doors.

MatsHolden
29th July 2006, 06:06 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with rear interior volume. Take a look at the Merc CLS, its classed as a 4-door sedan. I agree about the 2 doors thing though, the RX8 is also a coupe, with 4 doors.

Rear interior volume is just another spin on what Coupe is. That is one person's/organisation's view as to what it is. As I said there isn't really any set rules. And I think you meant the Merc CLS was a 4-door Coupe not a 4-door sedan?;) They are big cars on the outside, but the interiors are surprisingly small in relation to the exterior.

R3N
29th July 2006, 08:17 PM
Rear interior volume is just another spin on what Coupe is. That is one person's/organisation's view as to what it is. As I said there isn't really any set rules. And I think you meant the Merc CLS was a 4-door Coupe not a 4-door sedan?;) They are big cars on the outside, but the interiors are surprisingly small in relation to the exterior.

oops let me fix that