PDA

View Full Version : Caught today's SMH/Age Drive: Hot Hatch comparo?

Pom
14th July 2006, 08:12 AM
Have a look if you've not seen it yet. A pretty fair summary - with the ugly duckling of the HH portfolio (the Megane) getting the tick on its superior power/handling combo.
The SRi gets the sort of writeup that shows why its heading to replace its predecessor as 'Bang for your buck' winner.

Red AH SRI T
14th July 2006, 09:36 AM
great review, and from what i can see fairly unbiased too, which is refreshing in this day and age.

Having driven the Megane i can say that it really is a fantastic car, and i think the F1 team edition car looks damn hot

phat-dave
14th July 2006, 10:32 AM
for us poor queenslanders, is there a link at all?

I had a quick look on the age's website and couldn't really find anything other than ads of the stupid drive tv show
:mad:

anyone know if there are any k&n panel replacements available for the new sri at all?

oneightoo
14th July 2006, 11:19 AM
wont it be the same air box as the TS model?

rjastra
14th July 2006, 11:26 AM
anyone know if there are any k&n panel replacements available for the new sri at all?

THey do SFA... standard paper panel flows as well and does a better job of filtering. Save your money

MatsHolden
14th July 2006, 11:30 AM
THey do SFA... standard paper panel flows as well and does a better job of filtering. Save your money

K&N do flow better but yes don't filter as efficiently.

phat-dave
14th July 2006, 12:00 PM
yeah cant say im interested in flow, i want to hear it spool without molestering the airbox or getting an aftermarket intake kit etc

Red AH SRI T
14th July 2006, 12:33 PM
www.drive.com.au should have the story on there soon

Shaun
14th July 2006, 12:55 PM
Article in Todays Drive In They Sydney Daily Telegraph indicates that All 100 of the VXR Are Sold with an Order bank of Double that.

Kurt doses this mean that the 12 Coming to Heartland or that Heartland asked to be allicated are all sold ?

Wraith
14th July 2006, 01:15 PM
great review, and from what i can see fairly unbiased too, which is refreshing in this day and age.

Having driven the Megane i can say that it really is a fantastic car, and i think the F1 team edition car looks damn hot

Could you or someone else please put up some pics of the Megane F1 edition, I'd like to check it out and can't be bothered looking it up, I know slack - slack LOL.

Not a fan of the looks of this car, would like to see what makes the F1 edition nicer..........

Red AH SRI T
14th July 2006, 01:58 PM
lazy bum :p

http://clabedan.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/renaultmeganef1d.jpg

oneightoo
14th July 2006, 02:07 PM
i have never liked the look of the megane

Red AH SRI T
14th July 2006, 02:42 PM
Article in Todays Drive In They Sydney Daily Telegraph indicates that All 100 of the VXR Are Sold with an Order bank of Double that.

Kurt doses this mean that the 12 Coming to Heartland or that Heartland asked to be allicated are all sold ?

We have 9

3 blue and 2 of red black and silver

not all of these are sold AFAIK

Pom
14th July 2006, 02:46 PM
So what is the actual onroad cost?

Red AH SRI T
14th July 2006, 02:51 PM
we don't know yet

Shaun
14th July 2006, 03:33 PM
We have 9

So its quite possible the article is Hype from HSV or based on Dealer Stock orders.

astro boy
14th July 2006, 04:11 PM
We have 9

So your dealership is allocated 9? Is that per month?

Red AH SRI T
14th July 2006, 06:35 PM
no, thats the only allocation of cars we have, we don't know about any further allocations

Red AH SRI T
14th July 2006, 06:36 PM
So its quite possible the article is Hype from HSV or based on Dealer Stock orders.

it is possible. I'm not sure. Although once the cars arrive they will sell very very quickly.

We have purchased the plates "HSVVXR" to display on our demonstrator :D

Charlatan
14th July 2006, 06:59 PM
So the Megane is the pick of that bunch then. No surprises to those who have driven them. Surprised the Mazda got cained like it did, I've read some pretty conflicting reports on the way it deals with its power.

Gee the paint/wheel combo on the Megane F1 is terrible. Have gloss black wheels ever looked good??

Looking forward to the HSV v. Renault comparo, but for me, different cars for different target markets.

Shaun
14th July 2006, 07:36 PM
If thats the case HSV need to have the next batch on a ship ready for shipping to Australia as the 1st Batch Arrives. The Numbers are going to be very low. Vauxhall only Build 2500 for there local Market. so there for our market is going to be scarce. Also There is a Face lift planned for the Astra next year. Im hoping that the VXR isnt affected by this.

Poogene2001
14th July 2006, 08:24 PM
Just curious why the Drive.com.au article shows a guide to the "Star rating" system when it doesnt actually apply them to the cars that are being reviewed?
It's still the Sri or XR5 for me (looks, performance and price are unbeatable in both of those cars).
Ive heard the dated Clio 182 is amazing, but..... its a Clio...

Red AH SRI T
15th July 2006, 09:51 AM
Just curious why the Drive.com.au article shows a guide to the "Star rating" system when it doesnt actually apply them to the cars that are being reviewed?
It's still the Sri or XR5 for me (looks, performance and price are unbeatable in both of those cars).
Ive heard the dated Clio 182 is amazing, but..... its a Clio...

Go and drive one man. The clio is a little ripper, especially the Cup. And the clio is only dated in looks, the engine and handling and everything else is just amazing

Charlatan
15th July 2006, 10:24 AM
^^^^ agreed.

Phase III is due out soonish. 197bhp.

Poo, is the star rating you are refering to the NCAP? Pretty important factor to a lot of people when choosing a car

Red AH SRI T
15th July 2006, 10:29 AM
i heard the new RSClio III won't be launched until 2007, and its coming before the rest of the Clio range.

Poogene2001
15th July 2006, 10:40 AM
I meant the Star rating for the cars over all...

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7923/stars2vq.jpg

Miyagi
17th July 2006, 03:37 PM
i heard the new RSClio III won't be launched until 2007, and its coming before the rest of the Clio range.
RSC 197 info (http://www.hothatchforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=46.0)

Poogene: The stars are missing.. yes. Say hello to Tracey for me... and also that genuine notification tool is a bastard aye... ;)

Wraith
18th July 2006, 01:13 PM
lazy bum :p

http://clabedan.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/renaultmeganef1d.jpg

Ah, thankyou kind sir, for posting this pic up.

mmm, think I'm in the same boat as oneightoo on this one - I still don't like it, oh well each to their own.

Pom
18th July 2006, 03:05 PM
As I said in post one, the ugly duckling - but it obviously delivers on the inside.
Reminds me of the old Parisien joke - why does the Tour Montparnasse have the best view in Paris? because its the only place in Paris you can't see the Tour Montparnasse!
Sorry - showing my age!

aussie_in_london
18th July 2006, 08:38 PM
im actually liking the megane F1
checked one out recently,

Shaun
19th July 2006, 01:19 AM
The F1 Magine looks Nice. But it still looks like a Baseball cap to me at some angles.

MatsHolden
19th July 2006, 01:36 AM
Yeh aesthetics are not it's strong point. It's a clumsy blend of different forms that contradict each other. Awkward styling overall.

phat-dave
19th July 2006, 12:42 PM
What else do you expect from the French? :p

MatsHolden
19th July 2006, 02:05 PM
What else do you expect from the French? :p

lol, but they are quite capable of designing a nice looking car... see below..
http://www.damox.com/cars/thumbs/Renault/2004_Renault_Fluence_Concept.jpg