PDA

View Full Version : MotorMag VXR v XR5

RudeOne
13th July 2006, 08:25 AM
go check out the latest motor mag, it has the VXR v XR5 - ofcourse the VXR is their choice.

They claim 0-100 in 5.29 sec and 1.4 mile in 13.42

Which is a big difference from the claim 6.2 sec 0-100 from HSV.

Also look's like the VXR might come with some extra gauges, but nothing confirmed STILL!!!!

btm
13th July 2006, 08:28 AM
damn that's pretty quick...

i wonder why such a large difference??

MatsHolden
13th July 2006, 09:01 AM

Which is a big difference from the claim 6.2 sec 0-100 from HSV.

!!!

Yeh that was a misprint apparently. Theres already another thread on here about it.

SSS_Hoon
13th July 2006, 09:57 AM
yeah that is a misprint and yes ther is another thread on it already, they put in the times for the BMW and the Merc, if you read the article towards the end you will find the real times.

VXR is low 6 sec i think 6.2/3 and 14.75 1/4mile and the XR5 is mid to high 6 sec and 15.23/8 for the 1/4 mile.

SSS_Hoon

btm
13th July 2006, 10:15 AM
well that explains that! :)

PaulyJ
13th July 2006, 10:32 AM
VXR still kicken ze assen

Shaun
13th July 2006, 10:41 AM
Im off to Buy Motor on the way to work.
There was no doubt in my mind that the VXR would have been quicker then the XR5T. My Exprience with the VXR in the UK was an eye opener. Anyone who knows how well the SRi T Astra TS goses the will be blown away by the VXR.

SSS_Hoon
13th July 2006, 10:52 AM
its a good read there shaun, and also a few other good reads in it too :lol:

a small write up on the MPS 3 also only a few lines though.

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon
13th July 2006, 10:53 AM
and shaun the VXR goes alot faster then a stock SRiT the last model i hope it does anyway.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
13th July 2006, 01:06 PM
All sounding good for the VXR.....I thought those initial times stated above were for the LS2 powered GTO coupe, that's about what it does.

I'd like to see some times from a remapped VXR, with 211kw and over 450nm (that's what one tuner in the U.K. is claiming they can do) it should without doubt be in the 5 sec. to 100km/h and 13's over the standing 400m.

SSS_Hoon
13th July 2006, 01:32 PM
All sounding good for the VXR.....I thought those initial times stated above were for the LS2 powered GTO coupe, that's about what it does.

I'd like to see some times from a remapped VXR, with 211kw and over 450nm (that's what one tuner in the U.K. is claiming they can do) it should without doubt be in the 5 sec. to 100km/h and 13's over the standing 400m.

if you have the mag have a look at the stats rundown on the bmw and the merc i think its a merc and the times are exactly the same.

but if you read the VXR article you will see the real times they did.

and yes i think that a flashed VXR should do 13sec 1/4 for sure.

SSS_Hoon

caspers turbo
13th July 2006, 05:42 PM
Anyone actually know how many bananas for the VXR??

corsa2nv
13th July 2006, 06:21 PM
hey is the VXR running a bigger turbo, or is it just a remap, what are the differences between the VXR and the SRi Turbo

Shaun
13th July 2006, 06:34 PM
There are a Few things i would like to point out in that articale that i think are miss prints.

The 1/4 Mile time is wrong.

0-100km claim is Incorrect.

Compression Ratio of 11.1:1 is incorrect. The Compression ratio is actually 8.8:1 according to Vauxhalls Web Site and HSV Site.

Im about to read the rest of the article in a min. These facts from the article are from the Fast Fact Section. The rest of the article with figures is right must have been a miss print

Also with the comment about the extra gauges . Im assuming that your refering to the Picture in the last paf of the article? they appear to be Focus Gauges.

SSS_Hoon
13th July 2006, 06:59 PM
am i just being ignored due to not owning a OPEL?????

the guages he is talking about is in the article somewhere that the interior might be up for review by HSV due to the dash being lack lustre of guages.

i do like the simple dash though....

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
13th July 2006, 07:26 PM
Im hearing what you say. I like how the cover says " Ford XR5 v HSV VXR" The test they didnt want you to see....

Just whon exactly didnt want us to see it ? HSV Ford Or Motor?

SSS_Hoon
13th July 2006, 07:29 PM
prolly mazda

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
13th July 2006, 07:35 PM
prolly mazda

SSS_Hoon

Why wouldnt mazda want it published?
If you look closely at one of the pics in the Magazine you will see the Vauxhall Griffin on the Steering wheel. As the Article reads this is not the Final HSV Product.

SSS_Hoon
13th July 2006, 07:55 PM
Why wouldnt mazda want it published?
If you look closely at one of the pics in the Magazine you will see the Vauxhall Griffin on the Steering wheel. As the Article reads this is not the Final HSV Product.

yeah that is true i guess.

i dont own the mag but i might buy it to have a better read of all the other stuff in there..

SSS_Hoon

Red AH SRI T
13th July 2006, 09:49 PM
i hope they don't add extra gauges to the dash of the astra, that would spoil it so much!!!

Still no VXR pricing :(

RudeOne
13th July 2006, 09:52 PM
am i just being ignored due to not owning a OPEL?????

the guages he is talking about is in the article somewhere that the interior might be up for review by HSV due to the dash being lack lustre of guages.

i do like the simple dash though....

SSS_Hoon

the word "turbo" is also in a opel style font more so then a ford style.

Shaun
13th July 2006, 11:25 PM
They are focus Gauges. The VXR dose not come with Gauges there at all. There is a Gauge set from VPC (VXR Preformance Centre) in the uk for them and they are different to that.

Go look at a Focus on the web site and you will see what i mean.

RudeOne
14th July 2006, 08:35 AM
mate you are spot on with that comment, they sure are ford gauges.....!!

just the way they put the comment re hsv gauges under it consfused me a little.

Shaun
14th July 2006, 10:19 AM
I think thats to do with the car not having a Temp Gauge. But if you hold on of the audio buttons on the head unit and scroll through you can get a temp reading for the engine that in live time. As well as Injector Cycles.

Wraith
14th July 2006, 01:36 PM
Anyone actually know how many bananas for the VXR??

I believe it will be a lil over 42k plus onroads.

rusole21
14th July 2006, 01:39 PM
I think thats to do with the car not having a Temp Gauge. But if you hold on of the audio buttons on the head unit and scroll through you can get a temp reading for the engine that in live time. As well as Injector Cycles.
you can see injector cycles??? what is that for?? sounds like a tuning instument!!

SSS_Hoon
14th July 2006, 01:43 PM
I believe it will be a lil over 42k plus onroads.

i thought it was goping to be cheaper then GTI?

yes inj duty can be used for tuning

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
14th July 2006, 01:43 PM
hey is the VXR running a bigger turbo, or is it just a remap, what are the differences between the VXR and the SRi Turbo

Aussie in London could give you a thorough rundown, but it does feature a bigger/higher flow turbo and high quality forged pistons and obviously a map to suit.

It also has a better Lotus tuned suspension package and other chassis tweaks from what I've read.........all it really needs now is an LSD, since power can be ramped right up with just a reflash.

I am so looking forward to checking one of these out in the metal and taking it for a good fang.........

Wraith
14th July 2006, 01:50 PM
i thought it was goping to be cheaper then GTI?

SSS_Hoon

Top spec GTi is well over 50k on road.......something like 49,990 plus on roads.

Just checked the VW Aust. site.

RudeOne
14th July 2006, 02:10 PM
And for some unknown reason VW's on roads are 1.5k more than hsv/holden!! which makes it even worse

astro boy
14th July 2006, 02:15 PM
In the article body they had the 0-100 times marked as 6.7 for the VXR and 7.x for the xr5. I've got a software copy of the article but dont know whether topost it up in case it breaches any copyright laws.

Red AH SRI T
14th July 2006, 02:44 PM
its because VW dealers charge a lot more dealer delivery fee than Holden does (in most cases)

Red AH SRI T
14th July 2006, 02:45 PM
In the article body they had the 0-100 times marked as 6.7 for the VXR and 7.x for the xr5. I've got a software copy of the article but dont know whether topost it up in case it breaches any copyright laws.

i think so long as you acknowledge that its from motor u should be fine

SSS_Hoon
14th July 2006, 03:03 PM
yeah post it.

and yeah VW DD is exxy most of the time ours was good though got a bargain.

SSS_Hoon

astro boy
14th July 2006, 03:09 PM
The xr5 v vxr article from the MOTOR magazine.

http://www.rehame.com/printclips/2006-07-14/NATMOTOR//p11212041.pdf

The some of the text isn't legible. here is a text convertion of the first page of the article

http://www.rehame.com/clipworx/viewitem.cfm?itemno=P11212041

SSS_Hoon
15th July 2006, 05:57 PM
has anyone taken notice of page 113 yet?????

SSS_Hoon

dug74
15th July 2006, 06:24 PM
Another typo would be in the stats where they say the XR5 is a 2 coupe...its actually a 5dr hatch.

Cheers
DUG74

MatsHolden
15th July 2006, 09:38 PM
Another typo would be in the stats where they say the XR5 is a 2 coupe...its actually a 5dr hatch.

Cheers
DUG74

I'm not really being impressed with the amount of mistakes Motor have made. Pretty poor really. How much can we take out of this article as fact?

SSS_Hoon
15th July 2006, 09:42 PM
yeah there is quite a fair few mistakes aint there.

fast fours have the XR5 0-100 in 6.7 and the MPS at 6.1 but nothing for the VXR in this issue anyway.

SSS_Hoon

MatsHolden
15th July 2006, 09:52 PM
Also it's really left up in the air as to what are the strong points and weak points of each car in all the different reviews at the moment. One article had the Mazda 3 MPS as a pretty ordinary drive, too much power for the the car, too much torque steer etc. then another article says they noticed no torque steer to speak of. One article placed in their 'likes' for the 3 MPS the tuned engine note, another article put in their 'dislikes' for an uninspiring engine note.

Also another example was with the Astra SRi Turbo, one article stated it had fantastic brakes well and truly up to the job and then another said they were a bit vague.

It's gotta either be one or the other... can't be both ways.

dug74
15th July 2006, 09:59 PM
I think the best way to find out is to actually drive all 3 yourself and pick the one you like...i dont think any magazine, tv commerical or other media can influence someone to buy a sporty hot hatch if the buyer truly knows what they want.

Personal preference ....mine is for the XR5.

Cheers
DUG74

Miyagi
16th July 2006, 02:09 PM
That is a piss poor scan.. if we are going to share the article out you may aswell grab a good scanned copy...

Goto here www.volkswagengolfgti.com/stuff/ and download it from there, far better quality. ;)

Regarding the 'The test they didn't want you to see' I think it's a pointer at HSV as the car is still pre-release and not even relevant, the results are sound and to be expected but nothing is in concrete yet. It was simply Motor trying to grab some headlines away from Wheels etc.. a poor effort really as the whole article is pretty second rate.

I also like how they took 'HSV' logo plates out onto the open roads... surely that isn't legal is it? If the VXR didn't come out looking the winner i think HSV would have been steaming.

SSS_Hoon: re pg 113 pretty impressive but not all that surprising DSG is great technology... at a price. :)

astro boy
16th July 2006, 03:36 PM
That is a piss poor scan.. if we are going to share the article out you may aswell grab a good scanned copy...

Goto here www.volkswagengolfgti.com/stuff/ and download it from there, far better quality. ;)

I didn't scan it. I'm not allowed to give out the good quality stuff.

vectraguy01
16th July 2006, 08:25 PM
3 mps is da shiz right now, test drove one yesterday the ammount of power that it has for 6.1sec 0-100 is ingredable, any gear once over 2 grand launches the car something crazy, vxr dunno how its goin to match up cos my oppinion is 3 MPS is still goin to beat both VXR and XR5 totally.

I will be buying the 3 MPS, later in the year once finances work out.
A great ride, adv everyone to get a test drive of the 3 MPS, then u will understand wat i mean anout power, and i felt no torque steer at that time on wet surface as well.

Miyagi
16th July 2006, 09:24 PM
Astro: wasn't having a dig at ya, was pretty obvious you didn't scan it. :)

SSS_Hoon
18th July 2006, 07:11 PM

Regarding the 'The test they didn't want you to see' I think it's a pointer at HSV as the car is still pre-release and not even relevant, the results are sound and to be expected but nothing is in concrete yet. It was simply Motor trying to grab some headlines away from Wheels etc.. a poor effort really as the whole article is pretty second rate.

I also like how they took 'HSV' logo plates out onto the open roads... surely that isn't legal is it? If the VXR didn't come out looking the winner i think HSV would have been steaming.

SSS_Hoon: re pg 113 pretty impressive but not all that surprising DSG is great technology... at a price. :)

yeah tha scan was fairly ordinary.

yeah great technology and the price aint that bad really well ours wasnt anyway. and alos found out they were stockers too.

SSS_Hoon