PDA

View Full Version : Corsa B GSi - engine code - which one?

cosworthpower
8th July 2006, 03:40 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to find out what exactly Australia got for the 1995-98 Corsa B GSi 16v 1.6 Litre engine (Barina GSi).

Its either

X16XE (78KW)

or

C16XE (80KW)

By Googling the question I get two different answers! Doh! So I come here asking the question for owners/enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance.

PaulyJ
8th July 2006, 11:40 AM
From memory its the C16XE.

J
8th July 2006, 06:57 PM
From memory, it started with the (Lotus tuned?) C16XE. Then somewhere along the model cycle, they had to de-tune the engine to meet tougher emissions laws. Hence the last of the B GSi's were X16XEs.

But don't quote me on this. PaulyJ's definitely the expert here :)

Jeff

cosworthpower
9th July 2006, 01:29 AM
ok cool, so its preferable (in terms of power) to get an earlier model?

J
9th July 2006, 07:46 PM
If there's a difference, then yes.

Having said that, from memory the later engine also had a few turns more torque, so it really depends on what sort of driving you do, and how intensive are the mods you are planning to have. Stock standard, 2 kW is not going to make much of a difference. I think driver reaction and skill etc. will affect the drag/track times more :)

I was not aware the tuning's been different enough to require a completely different engine code! But if there's more to it then mere tuning (read: stronger internals, etc.), then by all means, choose the better one!

By the sounds of things, you should be the expert here, cosworthpower, and instead we should be learning about the differences from you! :)

Cheers.

Jeff

cybermonkey
9th July 2006, 09:21 PM
It is easy to check which you have simply by looking at the inlet cover just behind them cam cover. the X16XE has a ceramic white inlet cover, and the C16XE has a black plastic one. only the early ones will have the more powerful C16XE.
The main differences between the two engines are as follows. The C16XE has no EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). Although the head has the port for it, the valve is missing and blanked off, making it redundant. Most of the 2kW powerloss is a result of this (the X16XE EGR can be blanked off too ;) ). The C16XE also has a slightly higher compression of 11.0:1 compared to the X's 10.5:1. as a result, peak power and torque for the C is made 500rpm lower, at around 4500rpm for both. C16XE also lacks the Secondary Air Pump and boasts larger inlet and exhaust valves, and better quality pistons. To be honest, there is not much difference between the two, and with the X16XE being a much newer engine, it is easier to modify without coming across problems resulting from wear and tear, general aging. hope this helps.

Dave

edit : C16XE makes more torque than the X16XE, and peaks lower in the band too. Regarding engine type according to age, i would say that only the 1994 and early 1995 models would have the C16XE, since September 1995 was the month that the last C16XE Opel/Vauxhall rolled off the production line. 1997 saw the introduction of the X16XE, but was used in the Tigra from circa 1995 anyhoo

cosworthpower
10th July 2006, 12:19 AM
J: thanks for the info. I may know a fair bit about tuning Cosworths and turbo engines, but the world of tuning N/A Opel engines is a whole new world for me!

cybermonkey, thanks for the detailed info.. just what i was after!

I'm selling my Astra G CD and looking to do up a corsa B. Sooo tempted for the throttle bodies and ECU route, but alas I think I'll keep to the standard inlet/exhaust mods and have a nice set of wheels/suspension mods done.

Then again, as with the case with my Cossie, I've known to take things a little (or a lot) too far! (hmmm how about 2.0L or 2.2L engine conversion?? lol)

Thanks heaps for your help.

cybermonkey
10th July 2006, 10:15 AM
As a note, the 16XE engines respond very well indeed to modified air inlets, and there are many to choose from, from Europe of course. Dbilias, Mantzel are the main names, but will set you back a fair bit. you could also think about designing your own inlet, a few in the UK have done this very successfully and have seen upwards of 15kW gains on this alone.
This engine in particular was quoted to have made 110kW during testing, which from a 1.6 is not shabby at all, just goes to show the excellent design of this engine. Yes you hear of the B16 Honda engines making 125kW, but they have 8500rpm redlines and no torque whatsoever, a different story on the grunty little 1.6 with torque right where it matters, down low.
The 16XE was detuned by Opel/Vauxhall because they didnt want it stealing the bigger 20XE's limelight, after all this engine was put in all the top of the range Opels/Vauxhalls at the time, including the Astra GTE/GSi, Cavalier/Vectra GSi, Calibra GSi. so they fitted the 16XE with an extremely restrictive inlet manifold. hence why changing this frees up so much power.
Throttle Bodies is a different story altogether, and its easy to see 160kW+ with the right cams and management. It is possible to eek 190kW from this little 1.6! although thats with a 10,000RPM rev limit :cool: and some very strong internals!
check out www.sbdev.co.uk for some Throttle Body information and ideas.

Dave

cybermonkey
10th July 2006, 10:15 AM
What Cosworth/Ford do you drive?

EfiOz
10th July 2006, 10:18 PM
SBD use Jenvey throttle bodies (www.jenvey.co.uk)

cybermonkey
11th July 2006, 04:53 PM
SBD use Jenvey throttle bodies (www.jenvey.co.uk (http://www.jenvey.co.uk))

they do indeed, but there is better info at SBD on stuff regarding all the other parts needed to make them run well. Pulleys, cams etc

EfiOz
11th July 2006, 05:28 PM
Check the Jenvey distributor page. We know a little bit about them too.:)

cybermonkey
11th July 2006, 05:31 PM
have spent time reading both sites, know the 16XE back to front hehe

Kimme
11th July 2006, 08:01 PM
My car is a 96 model and it's got an x16xe in it... :) But planning on using some c16xe parts when i modify it, since i gained a whole c16xe engine... mwhahaha It's got that I can use the head or the x16.. would be good to get the c16 one ported etc :D

cosworthpower
11th July 2006, 11:47 PM
Hi Dave,

I have a 3 door Cosworth whaletail. Its been in the rebuild stage for the last 5 years and is about 95% finished with an enormus about of 'fun' parts sitting in my bedroom/wardrobe ready to be bolted on. In fact I could almost buy a 2nd hand Corsa GSi with the parts I have!

I'm trying to stay away from the throttle body idea in the short term, but me being me, will probably end up doing it :(

I think for the price of a 2nd hand GSi, they seem to have a great bang for buck in terms of performance and styling options.

cosworthpower
12th July 2006, 04:00 PM
Oh,

I forgot to ask:

are there any external differences between the two models?

cybermonkey
12th July 2006, 07:52 PM
I love whale tails!!! fapping quick and great engine, standard turbo or uprated jobbie?

regards to visual cues, the C16XE will have a black plastic inlet cover, and the X16XE will have a white ceramic jobbie.

C16XE
http://corsagsi.co.uk/images/c16xe.jpg

X16XE (my old engine!)
http://corsagsi.co.uk/images/x16xe.jpg

cosworthpower
12th July 2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much for the pics, I have to say I've learnt so much from your posts and from the UK forums over the last few days.

I dont want to go overboard and basically want a nice fuel efficient daily driver with a few engine/suspension and asthetic mods. Having said that, after almost 15 yrs of modifying I've learn't that you dont put on 2nd best parts. I can easily see my budget blowing out!

Yes, my Cossie has a tad bigger turbo on it. LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/cosworthpower/turbo.jpg

cybermonkey
13th July 2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks so much for the pics, I have to say I've learnt so much from your posts and from the UK forums over the last few days.

Yes, my Cossie has a tad bigger turbo on it. LOL

quite alright mate, welcome to spread the knowledge here in auz! anything else you need to know just drop me a line.

WOW that tubby is biiiig. what is it? T3?