PDA

View Full Version : smudged windows

Jess87
6th July 2006, 05:10 PM
hi guys,

just a qick question...

how do u get rid of smudges and finger prints on windows??:o

i always have problems looking out of the windscreen when driving into the sun and when the sun is right behind you because all i can c is finger print and hand smudges. any recomendations??

thanks
jess

CJB
6th July 2006, 05:16 PM
I use Meguiars window cleaner, I think it's the best!!!

But even then, sometimes that can leave streak marks which you notice when the car is fogged up.

Here is a rule I have in my car - DO NOT TOUCH THE DAMN F*CKING WINDOWS!!!

hahaha

its even worse when people lean on them, cos their hair grease, or hair product is left on them.

But so long as you know if you have tinted windows dont use newspaper to clean the inside ;)

Or, buy some glass cleaning wipes, they work well too... I like armour all for them.

MatsHolden
6th July 2006, 05:23 PM
If you have tinted windows, you need to be very careful what you use to clean them. I got special cleaner when I got my windows tinted. To be safe you can use some warm soapy water. If they aren't tinted then as Crispy said Meguiars do a very good window cleaner. Also metho is fantastic for cleaning windows without tint, leaving no streaks.

Cheers
Mat

CJB
6th July 2006, 05:26 PM
If you have tinted windows, you need to be very careful what you use to clean them. I got special cleaner when I got my windows tinted. To be safe you can use some warm soapy water. If they aren't tinted then as Crispy said Meguiars do a very good window cleaner. Also metho is fantastic for cleaning windows without tint, leaving no streaks.

Cheers
Mat

I have tinted windows, and I still clean them with meguiars... hehehe oops my bad.

Jess87
6th July 2006, 05:27 PM
thank u for that
i dnt have tint atm, but i am going to look at getting it maybe in the next month or so.

ill have to try using metho, prob make the car smell clean too :P

jess

Kippa-Dee
6th July 2006, 06:22 PM
Megauars actually make a window cleaner designed for tinted windows, ammonia (?) free, I think.

MatsHolden
6th July 2006, 06:59 PM
I have tinted windows, and I still clean them with meguiars... hehehe oops my bad.

Yeh Crispy, some cleaners do say safe for tint but Tint-a-car told me only to use there cleaner or warm soapy water, not worth the risk. :)

CJB
6th July 2006, 10:06 PM
Metho.. :eek: dont light a litre in the car... hehehhee

ahh, I have blue meguiars window cleaner...

stake
6th July 2006, 11:24 PM
You can try metho and water mix 50/50 it works pretty well. If it's just a few finger marks or smudges after cleaning with whatever, you can use a microfibre cloth. The same cloths that people use to clean their glasses. When they get dirty just wash it and away you go again.

Jess87
7th July 2006, 10:36 AM
ok, ill try 50/50 metho/water... but what type of materiasl should i use... paper towel/old rag? sorry guys, must be the most silliest question!!:o

jess

CJB
7th July 2006, 10:39 AM
I cut up old shirts and use them as rags to do that - OR - I prefer this... I steal Mum's Terry Towels (is that what they are??)

the nappy things...

They work good. :)

*waits for Mum to realise I have 20 plus of her towels* :p

Jess87
7th July 2006, 10:42 AM
lol
that gives me an idea :D
im just so scared ill make it worse :p
i never propley cleaned ning my other car, it was so bad i couldnt be botherd!!!

CJB
7th July 2006, 10:45 AM
You remind me of my old girlfriend and my old friend who was a female... they both use to say the same thing...

and I use to say "Relax, I will do it" :p

It shouldnt make it worse... the smudges are just hand prints right? And you said no tint, so no, I would be very shocked if anything went wrong.

Just expect to maybe get high from the fumes, thats about the worst, or best thing that will happen!

Jess87
7th July 2006, 10:51 AM
heehehe, i guess its a typical girl thing, always knowing how to do the whole domestic things inside the house, but when it comes to cars... well... i think u get the picture ;)

im giving the car a but it a clean tomorrow for a perth cruze for sunday :D
should be good

jess

CJB
7th July 2006, 10:56 AM
Good Luck then, and have fun.

But Im serious, implement that rule - NO ONE TOUCHES THE WINDOWS. If they do, kick them out :p I threaten to do that all the time, so people know not to, plus I go ape at them.

If your windshield fogs up too, dont use your hands or let anyone else use their hands or arm to clear it. Have patience and use the demister. Not saying you do, but I have friends who do, then complain their windshield isnt clean like mine... :)

Jess87
7th July 2006, 10:58 AM
ok, ill remember that. i actually asked my b/friend not to touch the window the other day lol *cheeky*

CJB
7th July 2006, 11:00 AM
ok, ill remember that. i actually asked my b/friend not to touch the window the other day lol *cheeky*

and did he? It might take some time, but soon people will realise you are being serious!!! :D

Just yell a lot.

Although I have an advantage, I dont usually yell, and dont raise my voice really, so when I do, haha... its funny. Ok Im spamming now

*runs back to Bored thread*

Jess87
7th July 2006, 11:07 AM
nah he didnt, but i just said in future just be carefull, esp when closing the door, for some reason u always touch the window when closing the door (prob bad habit)

i dnt think i need to raise my voice, ppl generaly know im seriouse if im talking about looking after my car - u know what i mean :)

*goes back to "work"*

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 12:48 PM
ok, ill try 50/50 metho/water... but what type of materiasl should i use... paper towel/old rag? sorry guys, must be the most silliest question!!:o

jess

Believe it or not, newspaper works a treat.

CJB
7th July 2006, 12:54 PM
Believe it or not, newspaper works a treat.

I never understood that - the ink and all. I thought it would rub off onto the window. :confused:

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 12:56 PM
I never understood that - the ink and all. I thought it would rub off onto the window. :confused:

Nope that's what I thought, but it doesn't. Also DON'T use it on tint film though. :) ONLY glass.

CJB
7th July 2006, 12:59 PM
Nope that's what I thought, but it doesn't. Also DON'T use it on tint film though. :) ONLY glass.

I was told that since I was 14 - way before driving. :) Oh well I was driving, but it was a paddock basher.

What do you guys use to clean your windshield when you wash your car? I use a squeegy thing... (spelling)

and oates one :D

Jess87
7th July 2006, 01:05 PM
Thats what i thought, but i was affraid it might scratch it or leave print marks :P
suppose i can give that a go if i can find any nice soft rags (clean ofcource)

does the stock astra hatch (2003) come with tint of some degree??? i dnt think it does but dad seams to think so:confused:

CJB
7th July 2006, 01:07 PM
I thought most cars built in the last 10 years or so came with a stock factory tint... :confused:

but its not like a normal tint is it???

I could be wrong.

My Mums Prado had the stock tint... My Grandma's Cruze had the stock tint... my brothers Liberty had the stock tint, and thats a 95 model.

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 01:09 PM
Thats what i thought, but i was affraid it might scratch it or leave print marks :P
suppose i can give that a go if i can find any nice soft rags (clean ofcource)

does the stock astra hatch (2003) come with tint of some degree??? i dnt think it does but dad seams to think so:confused:

Nope. Doesn't come from the factory with film window tint. They say in the broshure that it has tinted GLASS, this is actually a tint in the glass NOT a film on the glass.:)

Just on the newspaper, it's the best i've used, leaves no streaks and it doesn't scratch. I find it is harder to get a streak free finish with a cloth.

Jess87
7th July 2006, 01:09 PM
yeah ur prob right, it not dark looking up close but from a little distance away from the car it looks a wee bit dark ;)
im going to get dark tint later tho anyway.

CJB
7th July 2006, 01:11 PM
I would feel weird without tinted windows. :)

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 01:12 PM
I was told that since I was 14 - way before driving. :) Oh well I was driving, but it was a paddock basher.

What do you guys use to clean your windshield when you wash your car? I use a squeegy thing... (spelling)

and oates one :D

I just use the sponge. Then once it's all chamoised off I clean all the windows with metho. Another bennefit of using the metho is that it makes the water on the windscreen beed straight off, so no need to use the wipers in light rain.

Oh and Crispy my mates dad is Mr. Oates, of Oates cleaning products! haha Just a random fact.

Jess87
7th July 2006, 01:15 PM
ah k, that solves it then.
thank you

CJB
7th July 2006, 01:16 PM
Thats an awesome fact!!!

Good, hound them, Im trying to find a new squeegy thing but cant, are they still making them? :D

Metho - does that help with bug splatters too???

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 01:17 PM
Thats an awesome fact!!!

Good, hound them, Im trying to find a new squeegy thing but cant, are they still making them? :D

Metho - does that help with bug splatters too???

Yeh pretty sure they still make them lol.

Metho pretty much gets anything off! :)

CJB
7th July 2006, 01:18 PM
Yeh pretty sure they still make them lol.

Metho pretty much gets anything off! :)

including yourself? :D

haha

Ok, might give the metho a go on the windshield. See how it goes.

Jess87
7th July 2006, 01:29 PM
I would feel weird without tinted windows. :)

yeah the car looks a little naked atm lol
whats the legal limit on tinting btw?

Jess87
7th July 2006, 01:39 PM
do u find that when ur driving into the sun the dash reflects onto the inside of the windscreen?
my dash looks leather textured so the glass looks like its texured too! makes it hard to see out of it. any one else got that too?

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 01:41 PM
yeah the car looks a little naked atm lol
whats the legal limit on tinting btw?

May differ from state to state. But what you do is just go to a tint place of your choice and say you want the Darkest Legal Tint.

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 01:43 PM
do u find that when ur driving into the sun the dash reflects onto the inside of the windscreen?
my dash looks leather textured so the glass looks like its texured too! makes it hard to see out of it. any one else got that too?

I don 't find mine too bad as it isn't the textured vinyl. I know what you're talking about though, notice it on the old mans SS. Not a lot you can do about it apart from putting a dash mat on, but I'd rather put up with some reflection than to cover up the dash with an ugly mat! lol

Jess87
7th July 2006, 01:46 PM
same ere, but i was just wondering maybe there was something i could do (non reflective coat on the window maybe). the dash is pretty smooth and i cant really picture a dash mat on it - let alone spend 50bux to find out i dnt like it on there

CJB
7th July 2006, 01:59 PM
, but I'd rather put up with some reflection than to cover up the dash with an ugly mat! lol

dont be so hard on yourself :p haha

sorry... :)

I have noticed that in my Mums 4wd... it does that. Also, when you have lots of streaks on your windshield and the sun hits them, that makes vision blurred...

blackSRi
7th July 2006, 02:21 PM
The worst is driving into the sun and having that opaque "film" of oils and chemicals and silicone from the plastics and vinyls and Armoural on the inside of the windscreen (smokers make it worse as its the tobacco oils/tar too).

I use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water on the inside on my windscreen, (I cover the dash with a clean towel first) and I never use metho or isopropyl alcohols on tint - because that is what is used by tint installers to soften/make slippery the adhesive that sticks the film on!
Best to use a non-ammonia gentle cleaner with a soft clean, scratchfree cloth (I leave that to the detailer usually as I don't often need to clean fingerprints off my tinted windows "no touching the tint!").

EL BURITO
7th July 2006, 02:26 PM
cover up the dash with an ugly mat! lol

I like my mat :(

Jess87
7th July 2006, 03:20 PM

im going to have to check out your car then this sunday if u dnt mind

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 04:09 PM

Don't get me wrong, if you like dash mats, all good! lol

Petey
7th July 2006, 11:34 PM
Best way to clean your glass (inside), use one of the car glass cleaners available at auto shops and a microfiber cloth. When your doing it the first time do it vertically. Then give it a few minutes & then do it again horizontally. Should clean it up really well. And yep make sure no-one touches your glass ever again!!!!! Use your air con to demist, cool (blue band) in summer, warm air (red band) in winter...

Jess87
8th July 2006, 10:42 PM
well guys i attacked the car today and it came up pretty good. but i still got stains on the outside of the windscreen.i used newspaper and glass cleaner and it didnt get it out!!

MatsHolden
8th July 2006, 11:13 PM
well guys i attacked the car today and it came up pretty good. but i still got stains on the outside of the windscreen.i used newspaper and glass cleaner and it didnt get it out!!

What type of stains?

pred8r
9th July 2006, 09:18 AM
On windows without tint - vinegar and newspaper (a little goes a long way)

But by far the best ive ever used, on picture frame glass and my fishtanks, was a pressurepack foamy glass cleaner by 3M, THAT was amazing. Fingerprints, watermarks the lot, all clean. But you also need a microfibre cloth too.
Never got to try it on my car. Good luck trying to find it.

Petey
9th July 2006, 06:07 PM
try it again, out of sun is best. Don't bother with newspaper (especially inside as it'll causes swirls) , a microfiber cloth is much better! (I used to love newspaper btw).

Jess87
9th July 2006, 10:58 PM
What type of stains?

it looked like rain droplets. you know the marks water leaves when it dries:(

MatsHolden
9th July 2006, 11:28 PM
it looked like rain droplets. you know the marks water leaves when it dries:(

Ahh yeh, they should come off with a bit of metho, may need to put little more elbow grease into it.

pred8r
10th July 2006, 08:36 AM
Depending on whats in the rain/water droplets, they can etch the glass when they dry out. Read it somewhere.

oneightoo
12th July 2006, 05:49 PM
wouldnt metho be bad for the paint?

MatsHolden
12th July 2006, 05:53 PM
wouldnt metho be bad for the paint?

We're talking about the windows mate.

Jess87
12th July 2006, 05:54 PM
Ahh yeh, they should come off with a bit of metho, may need to put little more elbow grease into it.

yeah ur prob right, might get dad to give me a hand this weekend and then we'll c :p

oneightoo
12th July 2006, 05:54 PM
well you'd wanna be careful not to touch the paint then wouldnt you..

MatsHolden
12th July 2006, 06:02 PM
well you'd wanna be careful not to touch the paint then wouldnt you..

Yeh, but it's not a stripper like Turps so nothing really to worry about. But of course you wouldn't use it to get a stain out of your paint work.

dodgyblue
20th July 2006, 04:33 PM

You can try some AutoGlym Glass Polish for exterior glass. Does wonders for the windscreen. Haven't found a decent cleaner for the interior tinted glass though.