PDA

View Full Version : What do you like in a car?

MatsHolden
5th July 2006, 02:11 PM
Hey everyone. I'm starting an assignment at uni, I'm designing a car as a part of my Bachelor of Industrial Design and in order to write the design brief I need to find out what people like and dislike about cars. What is important to you in a car? I've got a small questionaire to find out basic information, so if you have a spare 5mins or so it would be much appreciated! Will also be interesting for everyone else, to see what people want in their ultimate car. Serious answers only please! :D

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Mat

QUESTIONAIRE - Copy and paste these questions into your post.

Your Age: (Give an age bracket if not wanting to disclose actual age)
- Question 1. What is most important in a car
- Question 2. Which style of car do you prefer? Sedan, Hatch, Coupe, Wagon, Ute
- Question 3. 2 door or 4 doors?
- Question 4. Is the environmental impact of the car important to you?
- Question 5. What don't you like about a car? How would you like to improve it?
- Question 6. Is modifying the car important to you?
- Question 7. Due to the rising price of fuel, is fuel consumption a concern to you
- Question 8. Should there be an option between sports and normal driving setups?
- Question 9. Do you prefer a car to be one colour or multiple? ie. Different colour highlights, inserts etc.
- Question 10. What is the one most important interior feature the car should have?

corsa2nv
5th July 2006, 02:40 PM
a car that goes fast if not very fast will be a nice car, make sure its turbo bro and its got a SR20 in it uleh :)

EL BURITO
5th July 2006, 02:48 PM
Your Age: 20
Question 1. build quilty in its price range,
Question 2. Hatch
Question 3. 2 door
Question 4. Yes
Question 5. effective use of space
Question 6. Yes (or i would get bord)
Question 7. Yes
Question 8. If needs be and the car is able to take beening a rally car
Question 9. one colour
Question 10. Crash safety systems eg airbags effective crumple zones

Thats wat u wanted mat ?

CJB
5th July 2006, 02:49 PM

- Question 1. What is most important in a car?

Comfort and style

- Question 2. Which style of car do you prefer? (Circle an answer) Sedan, Hatch, Coupe, Wagon, Ute

Sedan

4 doors, but 2 doors look better for sports cars :p

Nope :eek:

- Question 5. What don't you like about a car? How would you like to improve it?

Fuel consumption - no idea on how to improve that though. OR Vision, the front pillars sometimes obstruct the view especially on round abouts - perhaps a windshield that curves around right to the door?

- Question 6. Is modifying the car important to you? Yeah

- Question 7. Due to the rising price of fuel, is fuel consumption a concern to you

Yes, sounds petty, but it is. I think a car that ran on renewable sources of energy, without sacrificing power from the engine is needed.

- Question 8. Should there be an option between sports and normal driving setups?

I have never ever had it, to my knowledge, so cant answer :p

- Question 9. Do you prefer a car to be one colour or multiple? ie. Different colour highlights, inserts etc.

It really depends on what the car is - a sports car/coupe doesnt look too bad witha few different colours on it, but other then perhaps a few chrome trimmings I think one colour for a sedan, and wagon.

- Question 10. What is the one most important interior feature the car should have?

Comfortable seats that are height adjustable. It has to be comfortable for long trips, and I especially have am prone to sore backs, so I need it to support my back - and height adjustable, because I don't like sitting right up the top of everything, I dont like driving like that.

Hope that helps man, I didnt have anything wonderful to say though :p

oneightoo
5th July 2006, 03:11 PM
Your Age: 25
the look of a car..

- Question 2. Which style of car do you prefer? (Circle an answer) Sedan, Hatch, Coupe, Wagon, Ute
Coupe

2 door coupe, or 3 door hatch

no

stock sound systems, not enough grunt..

yes, it's fun

yes it's very important now..

it should be sports 100% of the time, in an efficient and sporty manner..

all one colour is preferred

cupholders that actually hold cups..

CJB
5th July 2006, 03:15 PM
cupholders that actually hold cups..

Lancer has really good cup holders. Im sorry, but Opel's muffin holders dont cut it.. thats a fine example of a cup holder gone wrong. The Lancer has nice deep ones beside the handbrake. :)

Its a safety thing too :D

MatsHolden
5th July 2006, 04:47 PM
Thats wat u wanted mat ?

Thanks mate :) good stuff and thanks Crispy and Oneightoo. Corsa2nv, how can I design a fast car if you don't answer the questions?:p lol

btm
5th July 2006, 04:59 PM
Your Age: 24

its look, feel and price

Coupe

2 is fine for me

no

i hate hubcaps - put mags on

small cosmetic mods, yes

well put it this way... i wouldnt be buying a V8 at the moment

if i had this option it would be on sports all the time

all colour coded

comfy and supportive seats with good visability all round

entice
5th July 2006, 05:41 PM
Your Age: (Give an age bracket if not wanting to disclose actual age)
ability to fulfil its intended purpose with the least effort, yet at the same time being able to reflect the owner's personality
depends on the purpose, at this point in time, wagon, but mostly a coupe
well if coupe, 4 doors, otherwise 4 doors each and every time
yes.. esp in emissions/consumption
Fuel consumption, NVH, interior trim choice
Yes
Always has been. why spend more than absolutely necessary
Yes, but the type of car usually caters for this
Mutiple of 2 only..ie, silver on black, white on black, etc etc, no multicolours.
other than safety, windows mobile media centre (ie, infotainment system, as well as the ability to monitor ecu/engine performance (all can be done via a media centrre tapped into the ecu)

hope this helps

Jess87
5th July 2006, 05:57 PM
QUESTIONAIRE - Copy and paste these questions into your post.

Your Age: 19
a. it goes from a to b
b. economical - esp these days with the price of fuel
c. price/quality - considering deprecitation and point a. and b.
sedan, but i got an astra hatch because it looks like a sedan and is nice and short like a hatch.
4 doors. i think of safety not looks when it comes to doors. i always imagine a 2 door car in an head on collision and the thourght of passengers stuck in the back... u get the picture
i guess it isnt so important, because if it was i wouldnt be driving and getting the bus or walking everywhere - not always practical tho
fuel economy or the fact cars rely on fuel. it is a limited resource and one day we are going to be without, so we should be getting serious about alternitives ie water etc etc
no not rely, i see it as a luxury and not as a necessity. to me cars are designed for transport not entertainment (ie racing, although going fast can be fun;) and having a really nice looking car)
deffinately. i live approx 13km away from friends houses, work is even further, so traveling back and forth can really stack up te feul useage
yes, i dont go much on the automatic/manual transmission cars (ie the manual option isnt really a normal manual gearbox set up). to me a car is meant to be manual. automatics are for lazy people :p
um, atm my car is a metalic blue with a wood grain interior, so changing the interior seams pointless to me. i think a multi colourd car can get too much, simple and neat is the way it should be
cd player!!!! with my last car (n13 pulsar) i said once the cd player goes i have nothing to look forward to when driving. its was a real pain in the a$$ to drive but having a cd player/radio makes it all the worth while:p

ope126
5th July 2006, 07:09 PM
Your Age: 27
- Question 1. What is most important in a car? The interior, the touch, the feeling of leather etc.
- Question 2. Which style of car do you prefer? Sedan, Hatch, Coupe, Wagon, Ute? Hatch i.e Vectra CDXi, not Hyundai Getz. I like the idea of a rear window wiper and the extra luggage space.
- Question 3. 2 door or 4 doors? 2 doors, Sports Car. 4 doors Family Car.
- Question 4. Is the environmental impact of the car important to you? Not really. I assume the car companies are building to certain standards that would include environmental impact studies. I do like Diesel, the way of the future.
- Question 5. What don't you like about a car? How would you like to improve it? I like the fact that there are so many choices for consumer.
- Question 6. Is modifying the car important to you? Not if has sufficient power to begin with.
- Question 7. Due to the rising price of fuel, is fuel consumption a concern to you? Yes, very much so! I drive for a living so it is quite hard. However I think diesel is the way to go!
- Question 8. Should there be an option between sports and normal driving setups? Yes.
- Question 9. Do you prefer a car to be one colour or multiple? ie. Different colour highlights, inserts etc. One colour.
- Question 10. What is the one most important interior feature the car should have? Leather.

180HOA
5th July 2006, 07:14 PM

Quality, safety, efficiency, performance, personality (i.e. no Toyotas)

Hatch or wagon (if it's a nice one - i.e. Alfa 156) - and as least like a 4WD as possible.

I can deal with either

Very

Dislike: Too big or heavy. Improve by making it smaller and lighter.
Dislike: Copycat styling - e.g. Lexus copy designs from Peugeot and Merc, Nissan Tiida looks like the bastard child of a 307 and a Megane, etc. Improve by having original ideas.

Also, as mentioned previously - dependance on oil. It's within current technology to build a car that's almost totally environmentally sustainable - so why aren't we doing it?

Not if I can buy a car I'm happy with stock.

- Question 7. Due to the rising price of fuel, is fuel consumption a concern to you.
Yes. Fuel prices are only going to go up. Anyway, why does this car need to run on oil?

It sounds gimmicky and potentially expensive (to buy and maintain). I'd rather one setup that has a good compromise.

Depends on the car. Either can look good. SRiT looks good one colour, Smart forfour looks funky in multiple.

Good seats. For me the seats make or break the car. What good is it if the rest of the car is sensational if the seats give you a raging backache after a long trip?

JasonGilholme
5th July 2006, 07:34 PM
Definately the reliability of the engine. Its the heart of the car!! Whats the point of having all these extra features if your engine is the same quality as a Macca's Cup!!! :P

Targa top/convertibles.

2 Door

Not extremely but if the car was known to cause major damage then i probably wouldn't buy it.

I Generally like the overall shape and design. Definately try to make it look better too!!

Definately, thats why i would never buy a brand new car!!

YEP!!! Less money to do mods with.

Wouldn't bother me anyway. I'd by the standard and upgrade most of it with aftermarket parts anyway.

Generally one colour but a few highlights can't go wrong.

Descent Dash Layout. I hate it when i can't see all my guages at once. I also hate it when you can't find a descent driving position because the first gear is toooo far away.

CAL.16V
5th July 2006, 07:57 PM
Your Age: 21

- Question 1. looks
accelaration/power
quality/features

coupe

2 doors

no

lots of things, but lots of alternatives

yes

yes and no - yes because i ahev less money but no because you have to keep on driving and if i was woried i would buy a charade

yes there should be switchable maps/ suspension setups

on ecolour externally .. internally highlights are good

leather, sunroof, power windows

sri05
5th July 2006, 08:15 PM
Your Age: 50 ish
Fun factor
Coupe
2 door
No
Unreliability
Better engineering and testing

No, not unless it is deficient in some areas, but then most are
No
If the car was to be the only car for family - auto for wife with tiptronic for me
and switchable suspension/engine tune
One colour
Air conditioning followed by good seats

Shaun
5th July 2006, 08:28 PM
- Question 1.Price and enjoyment of what i paied for.
- Question 2. Hatch / coupe
- Question 3. 2 Doors
- Question 4. Never really thought of it.
- Question 5. That sometime options offered overseas arent offered in Australia.
- Question 6. Some what but not a major part
- Question 7. A big consern.
- Question 8. We have that already.
- Question 9. More colours then One.
- Question 10. Air Con.

pred8r
6th July 2006, 09:31 AM
Your Age: 32
- Question 1. What is most important in a car? BFYB
- Question 2. Which style of car do you prefer? coupe/hatch 'looks' (ie RX8 is nice)
- Question 3. 2 door or 4 doors? either, prefer 2
- Question 4. Is the environmental impact of the car important to you? not if it infringes on my enjoyment of it, but would prefer 'low impact'
- Question 5. What don't you like about a car? How would you like to improve it? Higher spec features, more options, same price
- Question 6. Is modifying the car important to you? yes, it personalises it
- Question 7. Due to the rising price of fuel, is fuel consumption a concern to you? yes very, give me a hi-po electric anyday
- Question 8. Should there be an option between sports and normal driving setups? definately
- Question 9. Do you prefer a car to be one colour or multiple? ie. Different colour highlights, inserts etc. ? Multi is "ok", Citroen C2 but not like the last rover sedan, but accented is enough
- Question 10. What is the one most important interior feature the car should have? Its 3 but comfortable sports seats, correct adjustments to create for the driving ideal position for YOU and low 'in cabin' noise

jerrypufflewell
6th July 2006, 01:26 PM
Your Age: 19
- Question 1. What is most important in a car? Comfort & safety.
- Question 2. Which style of car do you prefer? Hatch (Liftback, more space but sporty).
- Question 3. 2 door or 4 doors? 4.
- Question 4. Is the environmental impact of the car important to you? Yes.
- Question 5. What don't you like about a car? How would you like to improve it? Most cars are too heavy- use of cheap materials means bigger engine is required for decent performance.
- Question 6. Is modifying the car important to you? Yes.
- Question 7. Due to the rising price of fuel, is fuel consumption a concern to you? Yes, smaller is better.
- Question 8. Should there be an option between sports and normal driving setups? Yes- a la 1980s 626, different shock settings etc. to cope with varying road conditions (e.g corrugated dirt road vs. "smooth" freeway).
- Question 9. Do you prefer a car to be one colour or multiple? ie. Different colour highlights, inserts etc. One, with a few similar highlights.
- Question 10. What is the one most important interior feature the car should have? Simple layout & easy to read guages.

corsa2nv
6th July 2006, 02:09 PM
- Question 1. What is most important in a car :
Styling, Handling, and Power
Coupe
2 door
nope
engine, and styling, make it look good and peform good
yes
yes it is
of course!!
I think cars should be 1 solid colour but the interior with different colour trims , eg, red and black etc
hmm, cupholders :P, i think it would be GPS nav, its addictive :)

rjastra
6th July 2006, 02:27 PM
Your Age: 39
- Question 1. What is most important in a car:
Performance, handling, quality, value for money
- Question 2. Which style of car do you prefer? Sedan, Hatch, Coupe, Wagon, Ute:
Hatch or coupe
either
yes.
Sound system doesn't play/accept MP3. Thats about it!

Not overly. Engine had been chipped. May mod the suspension. Not into cosmetic mods.

- Question 7. Due to the rising price of fuel, is fuel consumption a concern to you:
Of course. The car uses 98RON!

Yes. Much like Subarus new selectable engine management setup on the Liberty. Actually I can do this on my rechipped car! :)

One colour! is this a trick question - lol

Air con.

MatsHolden
6th July 2006, 02:32 PM
Great stuff so far! Some interesting stuff there. Keep it coming! :D the more the merrier.:)

Thanks

puddleglum
7th July 2006, 09:38 AM

- Question 1. What is most important in a car :

Power-to-weight ratio, ergonomics (incl. feel of gearbox and steering), build quality

Hot Hatch

4 or 5

Somewhat. Prefer lighter-weight cars that don't need a V8 to go fast, and with good emissions rating.

Excessive "look-at-me" styling, e.g. flares, skirts and wings that don't actually improve aerodynamics.

No

Not within reason (12L/100km)

Yes

Doesn't really matter if tastefully executed (no dayglo colours).

The loud pedal :D.

More seriously, it's the balance of all features that's important, and hard to get right: ergonomically efficient for high-intensity driving,comfortable for long trips, convenient stowage spaces (without turning it into a minivan), long-lived, easy-to-clean materials.

Also, as you get older (and its us geezers that actually buy the vast majority of new cars, which is what counts from the manufacturers' perspective), safety becomes more important. I like lightweight vehicles, but I wouldn't buy one without a full set (6+) of airbags.

Alfonzo
7th July 2006, 05:59 PM
Your Age: higher end of 21.

I enjoy a good drive. I'm generally the sod that drives other people places, so I think my ideal car would have to be one that engages the driver, and keeps them wanting to drive more. Power isn't everything, especially if handling makes up for it. But if both columns are attended to, then I'm more than happy to take the keys.

I like coupes, and quite like utes too, however I need the practicality of a 4-door occasionally and cannot afford a Crewman.

Again, most of the time it's a 2 door, though I do need 4.

Every now and then I feel guilty about my emissions, then I look at everyone else on the road, realise the world is much larger than my vision, and once I've convinced myself that everyone else in the driver seat probably doesn't even think about it, my guilt washes away :) So no. If I could afford a V8's drinking problem, I'd be driving one.

I hate cars that don't have character. Cars that are designed within boundaries of Workplace Health and Safety. Lamborghini's Mura, for example, had some absolutely ****house flaws. The petrol tank was based directly over the front wheels, and when the tank got empty, your steering was directly effected. The carburetors occasionally spat petrol out over the hot engine, sparking many of the earlier models into a nice big fireball. But they were built with a passion, by a handfull of junior designers, and included styling cues like doors that when opened, resembled the horns of a bull when viewed from the front.

I believe more cars need to be designed like this in order for the motoring industry as a whole to move forward. Otherwise we may as well just say we're driving in modern Model T's.

Yes. Hence why I'm going crazy with my current car. Modifying a car, IMO, is a way of making my car mine, and not like that other one.

No, within reason. As I said earlier, if I could afford a V8 then I'd probably drive one. But I can't, so I won't. :p My next car will be a 4cyl turbo though, which I'm expecting will chew a little, but to answer the question in relation to my choices, no. As we speak, I am filling up my 'family sedan' with 98RON, and shelling out another ~13c p/L than I need to, simply because I think it runs better. If I was to complain about fuel prices, then I would switch back to 91RON first.

Actually on this note I should point out that I don't really have an issue with rising fuel prices, as it is inevitable (everything rises in cost). What I do have a gripe with is the constant fluctuation, how a petrol station can make a 15c jump in the blink of an eye, when there has been no visit from a tanker, and it is the very same fuel in the tanks underneath. How can a hurricane in the US instantly cause a price jump here, when the fuel we're using was produced at a cheaper price probably up to 3 months ago???

No. You either have a sports car, or you don't. I don't believe you can properly make a 'normal' car into a sports car, there's always some drawback, and it in turn blurs the true definition of what a sports car is.

I love highlights. Look at the new Golf and Polo GTi's to see what I mean. I love light colours with dark tint. I love dark blue paint with white GT stripes.

Ejector seats. Nah, seriously - probably head up displays for more devices. Everyone bitches about people not paying attention when driving because they're looking at other things - I believe that hard to read dashes are another cause of accidents. Now we know that everyone's going to have a different dash design, so put the vital stuff up on the windscreen. Speed, RPM, petrol, and gear selection. An adjustable overspeed warning that flashes in the field of vision would probably be good too.

tmov81
8th July 2006, 08:59 AM
Your Age: 24

Sorry... this would be an essay response from me... no way i can answer that in a sentence or two because there are several things.

Coupe

2 door

only if it doesn't cost more money (ie if there are two identical cars, identical price and one is better for the enviro, i will go for the enviro friendly one)

FWD... I would make it RWD/AWD

Yes

Yes

Yes

Depends... but i think generally multiple... although sometimes too much is worse...

a gearstick

MatsHolden
21st July 2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all your input. Greatly appreciated. Got plenty to complete a brief now. :)

Thanks
Mat