PDA

View Full Version : crash safety is it realistic?

beep beep sri
4th July 2006, 03:52 PM
is it just me or have others noticed that some of the crash tests do'nt seem to repicate real life situations? who's going to drive into a brick wall doing 64km/h? not me! or the side where you get hit by a pole! i would have though a car hiting a pole head on doing 64km/h would be more realistic. ive seen the corsa b hit a brick wall doing 70mp/h that was cool but not a real life situation. the smart car hiting the wall was probably the coolest that ive seen it was like a glass bowl geting droped SMASH!. who's been in bad crashes where they have hit a pole or simmilar and what was your experience afterwards? i got slamed up the rear by a honda integra a few years ago when i was stationary he was doing 70km/h and must say it scared the sh!t out of me. my car was'nt to bad but the poor honda had seen better days. i also remember my sister hiting a pole and wraping her 180b datto around a pole and surpisingly she walked away from that one. the car was a real mess.

oneightoo
4th July 2006, 04:05 PM
the wall should be replaced with cars, or a truck bull bar.. but having said the that, the impact on the crash dummy is pretty much the same, it's the sudden stop at the end they're replicating and the damage that does to the dummy.. but i agree with you..

rjastra
4th July 2006, 04:07 PM
got slamed up the rear by a honda integra a few years ago when i was stationary he was doing 70km/h and must say it scared the sh!t out of me.

A rear ender at that speed would have left your car (the front one) with major damage.

The problem is that people can't realistically estimate the speed they crash at :) They invariably think they are going faster than they actually did crash at.

the smart car hiting the wall was probably the coolest that ive seen it was like a glass bowl geting droped SMASH!.

I have seen that test. The SMART car did a hell of a lot better than the equivalent Corsa (also in the same test).

Please look at this site to understand how NCAP.ANCAP and EuroNCap tests are applied. They make sense if you understand what's involved.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/test_procedures/introduction.php

EL BURITO
4th July 2006, 04:10 PM
Those B and smart car Vid are really good

i have been in to insidents and both of them involved me revercing into other vehicals. 1st was my dads work 4wd did no damage to his Cruiser i needed a new boot 2nd i reverced into a 1980 somthing POS ford the owner couldnt work out if i caused any damage if was so messed up any ways so she didnt give a **** but i still needed a new boot again. (both occured in my 1st car

MatsHolden
4th July 2006, 04:15 PM
I have seen that test. The SMART car did a hell of a lot better than the equivalent Corsa (also in the same test).

The Corsa held up better, the intrusion into the footwell of the SMART car was a lot worse. But doesnt matter how well the car holds up, there is only so much force the human body can take.

btm
4th July 2006, 04:25 PM
i have hit a stationary car at 70km/h in a toyota echo - there was nothing left of the echo. had the engine through the firewall and on my legs :eek:

also been involved in a pretty bad high speed rollover in a 4WD

neither i would like to experience again!

EL BURITO
4th July 2006, 04:33 PM
My mate rolled his 1965 Landrover, It stayed in one pice we rolled it back on its wheels and kept going

oneightoo
4th July 2006, 04:34 PM
probably because it was made out of solid steel..

EL BURITO
4th July 2006, 04:38 PM
It was the safest car u could possibly have gotten for 4 cartons of Crownies lol

CJB
4th July 2006, 06:19 PM
is it just me or have others noticed that some of the crash tests do'nt seem to repicate real life situations? who's going to drive into a brick wall doing 64km/h? not me!

a ditzy girl or guy talking on their phone applying make up whilst sipping coffee and holding a smoke might...

and yes, people do that whilst driving - seen it, so, it could be accurately portraying a scenario :p haha

but the most part, I agree, and if you brake heavily, which you shouldnt, but when in a panic, people do, the cars angle changes and there are so many variants on what angle the car could hit the "brick wall" at.

But those tests are sure fun to watch :)

pred8r
4th July 2006, 08:11 PM
probably because it was made out of solid steel..

Arnt they aluminium?

EL BURITO
4th July 2006, 08:51 PM
Arnt they aluminium?
wat ever is was it was fookin strong. and it was rolled on more than one occasion

oneightoo
4th July 2006, 09:08 PM
Arnt they aluminium?
it doesnt matter, it was a tank..

beep beep sri
5th July 2006, 05:34 AM
i have hit a stationary car at 70km/h in a toyota echo - there was nothing left of the echo. had the engine through the firewall and on my legs :eek:

also been involved in a pretty bad high speed rollover in a 4WD

neither i would like to experience again!

OUCH!!
im not saying everything in the tests are not in modern life but some things just do'nt seem to replicate it

GAZ914
5th July 2006, 01:04 PM
The people doing the tests do it for a living.
They know that EVERY crash is different in the real world.

At some point you have to say "this is the test and it covers XX% of what is likely to happen and so everyone at least has comparable results to make a decision on how safe the car is".

Whatever your or my experiences in crashes are, it would only be a fraction of crashes that have been stiudied by these people.

I agree a 70 km/h crash into a stationary vehicle is probably almost unsurvivable.

Think of it this way - you can run at about 20 km/h.
Imagine what it is like to run flat out into a brick wall.

Now imagine the same thing at 40 km/h.

I can't imagine hitting something solid at 70 km/h and surviving.

cheers
Gaz

MatsHolden
5th July 2006, 01:08 PM
Yeh 40km/h doesn't sound fast, but you can easily write off a car if you hit a stationary object such as a light post at that speed.

btm
5th July 2006, 01:41 PM
I agree a 70 km/h crash into a stationary vehicle is probably almost unsurvivable.

Think of it this way - you can run at about 20 km/h.
Imagine what it is like to run flat out into a brick wall.

Now imagine the same thing at 40 km/h.

I can't imagine hitting something solid at 70 km/h and surviving.
the difference between hitting a car and a wall, is that if you hit a car it absorbs some of the force cause it moves away from you.

a wall is just a wall and you absorb all the force cause a wall does not move

beep beep sri
5th July 2006, 03:33 PM
you recon you would not survive hiting a pole at 70! geez that makes me feel even less safe in a car. are you talking head on or sideways into a pole? i know my girlfriends friend wraped his vl turbo around a pole and now he's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. as said he actualy wraped it around the pole and im sure he was doing atleast 70km/h

CJB
5th July 2006, 03:36 PM
well if it makes you feel any better beep beep, I was doing 120km an hour when I hit trees and the car tipped on its side... and I walked away without a scratch.

beep beep sri
5th July 2006, 03:56 PM
yeah me thinks if you hit a tree-pole head on on the passenger's side (most likely side to hit) you should be ok at 60. the crash test head on is at 64km/h into a solid wall and that looks nasty but id expect at worst a busted collar bone or bad whiplash.
there was someone on here a while ago that had an xc sri and he hit a pole and wrote his car off im sure he was doing more than 60. from memory he ended up with a busted collarbone i think?

MatsHolden
5th July 2006, 04:40 PM
If you hit an immovable pole at 60km/h, there'd be serious damage. At 40km/h there would be serious damage. If you saw the damage on a car after such a crash at 60km/h, you would swear the damage was caused by a much higher speed.

EL BURITO
5th July 2006, 04:55 PM
well if it makes you feel any better beep beep, I was doing 120km an hour when I hit trees and the car tipped on its side... and I walked away without a scratch.
and i bet u are thankful for that every day

beep beep sri
5th July 2006, 05:03 PM
If you hit an immovable pole at 60km/h, there'd be serious damage. At 40km/h there would be serious damage. If you saw the damage on a car after such a crash at 60km/h, you would swear the damage was caused by a much higher speed.
totaly agree. but the big question is how YOU come out of a car after hiting a pole doing 60 or 70. thats my only concern when it comes to a crashes is if IM going to be ok BUGGER THE CAR.

MatsHolden
5th July 2006, 05:03 PM
Just thought people would be interested to see this photo... A Monaro CV8 after hitting a pole on the drivers side.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/fde7113d.jpg

MatsHolden
5th July 2006, 05:07 PM
totaly agree. but the big question is how YOU come out of a car after hiting a pole doing 60 or 70. thats my only concern when it comes to a crashes is if IM going to be ok BUGGER THE CAR.

Yeh true. There's a speed the Police go by as a rule of thumb as to whether a person is likely to survive a head on accident, but I can't remember what it was exactly. But I remember I was surprised as it was under 100km/h.

beep beep sri
5th July 2006, 08:26 PM
Just thought people would be interested to see this photo... A Monaro CV8 after hitting a pole on the drivers side.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/fde7113d.jpg

f#*K me! any idea what speed he/she was doing? not that they would be around any more to tell the story. that is REALY sickening when you see stuff like that. it makes you slow down and think twice before overtaking or speeding just that littlebit especialy when from the looks of it the photo's from near me.

MatsHolden
5th July 2006, 08:49 PM
Approx 110km/h I believe. Not sure if he/she survived, most likely not I would say. Just something my old man came accross in the insurance assessing industry. There's other photos that illustrate the intense impact but I think one is enough.

stevedee3
5th July 2006, 09:21 PM
Call me sadistic, but I find photos of smashed-up cars very interesting. I like seeing which designs effectively protect the occupants and which cars end up like that Monaro. Obviously speed has a fair bit to do with it as well...

MatsHolden
5th July 2006, 09:46 PM
Yeh i find it interesting as well to see what points are affected most. Mind you the the Monaro's got a 4 star safety rating, but I think any car would look exactly like the Monaro in exactly the same crash.

stevedee3
5th July 2006, 10:21 PM
...but I think any car would look exactly like the Monaro in exactly the same crash.There's plenty of room for crumpling in a frontal collision, but bu99er-all for side impacts...

beep beep sri
6th July 2006, 05:45 AM
who's your father work for matsholden? id almost be certain its not racv if he's been assesing a monaro

oneightoo
6th July 2006, 08:14 AM
yeah matsholden, who is your daddy? and what does he do?

btm
6th July 2006, 08:31 AM
who is your daddy?
all i can think of when you wrote this was the ford festiva ad :D

oneightoo
6th July 2006, 08:33 AM
think.... kindergarden cop..

btm
6th July 2006, 08:39 AM
think.... kindergarden cop..
ah yes, true to that :)

CJB
6th July 2006, 09:48 AM

Festiva? ...........................................

MatsHolden
6th July 2006, 11:09 AM
who's your father work for matsholden? id almost be certain its not racv if he's been assesing a monaro

An assessing company that the insurance companys use, so doesn't actually work for an insurance company. I should've said it in a different way, he didn't actually assess it, it was just a claim someone did and was doing the rounds around the company email. lol

rjastra
6th July 2006, 02:07 PM
The rule is ... double the speed and the energy the car has absorb in a crash 4 times higher.

It's the reason why a crash at 30km/h is surviveable and one at 60 km/h may not be.

Dave
6th July 2006, 03:15 PM
Ouchy!!! Crispy im about as lucky as you to be alive and not injured!!
I rolled my astra and have taken out a traffic island, Both times ive been extreemly lucky, someone must be watching out for me! Or the astra is just a mighty beast with an awesome saftey rateing, lol i dunno.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2095/car15ji.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2095/car15ji.th.jpg (http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=car15ji.jpg)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4526/car23xu.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=car23xu.jpg)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4526/car23xu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Dave
6th July 2006, 03:18 PM
luckly it was muddy and the wet ground helped absorb the impact, If it was dry and rock hard like norm it woulda been worse.

oneightoo
6th July 2006, 03:28 PM
dam, how long did it take them to repair it? or was it a write off?

beep beep sri
6th July 2006, 03:44 PM
dam, how long did it take them to repair it? or was it a write off?

they would'nt have fixed that. if it was my car i would'nt let them fix it either! ive been talking to a few friends that have hit poles and one hit a pole at 55km/h and he recons it was nothing. he was in a vs calais. he reons the car was a real mess though.

Amazer
6th July 2006, 07:02 PM
I had a 40km/h impact in to a Semi Trailer Coal Truck

I was in a 1997 Laser. I made the car 30 cm or so shorter. I was uninjured and it was scary.

Been 3 years and it taught me alot

Rob

Dave
7th July 2006, 02:43 AM
they would'nt have fixed that. if it was my car i would'nt let them fix it either! ive been talking to a few friends that have hit poles and one hit a pole at 55km/h and he recons it was nothing. he was in a vs calais. he reons the car was a real mess though.

would u belive it, they fixed it!! i **** you not. They preferd to fork out 18-19g to fix it rather then supply me with a new astra!

I wasnt to happy about it, but i couldnt argue. And im still driveing it to this day, that was a yr and a bit ago.

rjastra
7th July 2006, 10:27 AM
I rolled my astra and have taken out a traffic island, Both times ive been extreemly lucky,

hmmmm "extremely lucky" would have been neither of those events happening ;)

CJB
7th July 2006, 10:29 AM
Do you have problems with the car?

Thats why the wrote mine off - axle damage - would always have problems with it in the future and AAMI give a lifetime guarantee on ALL thier repairs, so wasnt in their best interest to repair mine.

I remember, didnt this happen just before you were going to cruise out to Ippy?

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 12:53 PM
Geez I can't believe they repared it! They don't usually muck around with cars that have rolled due to the twisting and flexing of the chassis that occurs, which weakens certain points which then have an adverse effect on handling. If you don't mind me asking, which company was it?

Dave
7th July 2006, 02:25 PM
Nrma, was a uphill battle to get them to even consider replacein / fixing it.
I dont know why they fixed it both times, i was talking to my nan and she said something to the effect im a young driver etc. i was only 20 a the time.

Yes crispy, lots of problems, creaks and rattles, it doesnt feel as sturdy on the rd and sometimes you can feel the chassy bending when you take a corner. Also another funny one, when you accelerat the doors creek like there moveing.

beep beep sri
7th July 2006, 03:31 PM
thats why im with Aami. ive been told they are good to deal with in unfortunate situations like these. my parents camry should have been writen off in there last crash even the panel beater said so but racv said repair it.

beep beep sri
27th July 2006, 03:51 PM
anyone see today's herald sun front page? not that anyone would survive that crash in any car but HOLLY S#IT! imagine having to clean up the mess i pitty those poor cop's

MatsHolden
28th July 2006, 06:16 PM
anyone see today's herald sun front page? not that anyone would survive that crash in any car but HOLLY S#IT! imagine having to clean up the mess i pitty those poor cop's

Yeh saw it on the news, absolutely disintigrated. One way to get rid of 250000 dollars and 2 lives... what a waste. Police are after an FPV Falcon that was racing the Ferrari.