PDA

View Full Version : MPS its here and the new facelift model sp23.

SSS_Hoon
4th July 2006, 10:10 AM
http://www.ozmazda.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=594

for your viewing pleasure or not....

SSS_Hoon

Red AH SRI T
4th July 2006, 10:25 AM
List prices are $46,835 for lux pack, and $43,265 for standard.

OUCH!!!

MatsHolden
4th July 2006, 10:29 AM
They don't have anywhere near the visual impact of the Astra SRi and VXR. Not just referring to the body kit styling but the overall styling of the car. A bit plain Jane. Reasonably solid cars though.

SSS_Hoon
4th July 2006, 10:46 AM
to me i prefer the Mazda to the VXR in forms of looks inside and out stock for stock, although i have seen a few nice modded VXR/astras that look the goods.

yeah i too think that the mazda is a bit pricey but you do get a LSD though hehehehe wish our car had one.

SSS_Hoon

Red AH SRI T
4th July 2006, 10:49 AM
to mee the MPS looks just like the SP23 with bigger wheels

although i did notice it does have a different bonney, is that correct?

still not much of a change

to pass final judgement i will have to see it in the flesh!

SSS_Hoon
4th July 2006, 10:54 AM
yeah the mps comes out with the new facelift all the sp23 from now will look like that, the only thing i dont like is the cooler in ontop of the engine and ther aint no vents for it would get damm hot i would say.

i liked the old sp23 so i guess that is y i like these, but for the price i would take a 2nd look and most likly would end up buying something else.......

SSS_Hoon

Red AH SRI T
4th July 2006, 10:55 AM
isn't the new bonnet like the one on the 6 mps? doesn't the one on the 6 let the air through it or something?

SSS_Hoon
4th July 2006, 10:58 AM
it might under the front lip but there aint any actual bonnet vents that you can see like the new monaro have.

SSS_Hoon

btm
4th July 2006, 11:24 AM
not even full leather...

MatsHolden
4th July 2006, 11:28 AM
it might under the front lip but there aint any actual bonnet vents that you can see like the new monaro have.

SSS_Hoon

And even they do nothing, just for aesthetics. lol

InsaneAsylum
4th July 2006, 11:34 AM
in my humble and honest opinion i've always thought that a baboons ass is better looking than a mazda 3.

oneightoo
4th July 2006, 11:36 AM
agree with insane.. and i wouldnt drive a baboons ass around town..

astra_city
4th July 2006, 11:59 AM
yeah, in my opinion it doesn't look as nice aesthetically as the SRi/VXR, although the interior of the 3 is nice. But if you read a bit down on that forum, the person says that the prices listed were driveaway prices. If that's true, then that's not a bad price.

btm
4th July 2006, 12:09 PM
i have never liked the hatch - the sedan looks better

astra_city
4th July 2006, 12:16 PM
well many probably already know, but all the information on the 3MPS is now on the Mazda website. The standard model is $39990. The hot hatch market should be really interesting now with the arrival of the SRi, VXR, XR5 and now the 3 MPS. (in addition to current options such as Golf GTi, Clio sport, Megane sport, wrx etc...)

Red AH SRI T
4th July 2006, 12:17 PM
$39990 same price as Golf and RenaultSport Megane

GreyRex
4th July 2006, 01:00 PM
I think the Mazda 3 a good looking car, but you spend over $40 000 and get a car that looks VERY similar to the base one!! I don't know, it just seems a little bit of a letdown, especially the MPS. I know the engine, the seats, yadda yadda yadda, but to me all the models look a little too similar :)

Wraith
4th July 2006, 01:04 PM
Alright another on my short list has arrived - VXR is still the favourite, Golf Gti has been abandoned - tooooo pricey for the model I want and I hate the look of the front grille......Xr5 also out, IMO, look dosn't really appeal as much as the AH Astras and when you get it with the lot it costs way more than an AH Sri t, which IMO is the all round better car.....

MPS is interesting, cost is comparitively good compared to Sri t and VXR, the Mazda has LSD and more powerful 2.3ltr. to consider.

It all comes down to the appeal/look of the thing, I prefer the sedan and will enquire with Mazda if they will make the 3 MPS in sedan as well, otherwise it'll just have to be a VXR.

Red AH SRI T
4th July 2006, 01:07 PM
, otherwise it'll just have to be a VXR.

what a shame :(

InsaneAsylum
4th July 2006, 01:18 PM
the sri/vxr doesn't look like a rollerskate

Red AH SRI T
4th July 2006, 02:52 PM
the sri/vxr doesn't look like a rollerskate

GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!

corsa2nv
4th July 2006, 02:58 PM
i think the mazda 3 mps is a car with potential, just doesnt look as good as the other hot hatches out, not a fan of the mazda 3. what are the specs stock for the car

rjastra
4th July 2006, 04:22 PM
think the mazda 3 mps is a car with potential,

What's the potential? Who has mods for this particular engine?

You are much better off with a Subaru, Golf or Astra. Heaps of stuff to upgrade the engine etc with.

MatsHolden
4th July 2006, 04:27 PM
What's the potential? Who has mods for this particular engine?

You are much better off with a Subaru, Golf or Astra. Heaps of stuff to upgrade the engine etc with.

I think he was referring to it having potential to be a good seller. It's not all about what mods you can do to it, majority of them sold will remain stock standard.

Poogene2001
4th July 2006, 05:12 PM
I think they have gone the wrong way with the 3, they have made it look even more girly, while trying to drive the brand image into the "sporty" field. Kind of contradictory aims, if you ask me!
If it were purely a matter of looks, then 3MPS = junk. But we all know, that there is more to it than that, and I have a feeling that it will out-perform anything in the same price bracket (ie 39 990). Mazda have recently ramped up their emphasis on the zoom zoom zoom factor and it seems to be paying off with 6 winning heaps of praise for its body control, and the 3 will be no different.

Shaun
5th July 2006, 12:10 AM
Its not as Sporty as i thought it would be. They Have made the SP23 now look more like a Luxury car then a sports model. I wonder if they will do a MPS 3 Sedan ? Now that would be interesting. But to be Honest even the new MPS 3 looks a little suttle compared to the MPS 6. And the last SP23 looks more Aggressive then the new MPS 3.

VXR is looking to be the most Aggressive of them all in the looks Department .

Even the new SRi T has a more Aggressive/ Sports look about it then the Mazda MPS 3.

Although it still is up there in the list of the top 5

Shaun

corsa2nv
5th July 2006, 12:41 AM
oh just realised now its 190 kw, same as the mps, was gona think that the mps 3 was gona be downtuned being a smaller car thats impressive

Wraith
5th July 2006, 01:32 PM
I wonder if they will do a MPS 3 Sedan ?

Shaun

Yes I'm wondering about the same thing......Mazda 6 MPS looks really good, if they do a similar 3 it'll look good too.

Don't know about some of the critisism regarding mod potential on the Mazda 2.3ltr turbo, you know it will be only a matter of time before engine maps/mods will in fact be available - (just like the Mazda Rx8 which now has remapping and forced induction available for it, but initially had zippo), most Jap cars have soooo much modding available to them, just takes some time after their release.

Besides which, as it stands with somewhere between 180-196kw and 380nm and LSD, stock standard, I'm sure it'll keep most owners happy without power up mods anyway.

Don't get me wrong, my Fav. is still the VXR, just think Mazda have a top notch product there as well.......

rjastra
6th July 2006, 02:13 PM
Yes I'm wondering about the same thing......Mazda 6 MPS looks really good, if they do a similar 3 it'll look good too.

(just like the Mazda Rx8 which now has remapping and forced induction available for it, but initially had zippo), most Jap cars have soooo much modding available to them, just takes some time after their release.

No 3 MPS sedan. Hatch only.

Anyone noticed that the Megane II RS (225) is available in a 3 door now at $38K?

astro boy
6th July 2006, 05:02 PM
I'm going in for a test drive on Saturday. Any suggestions on what to look for. The demo model they have comes with the leather pack.

sparks
6th July 2006, 05:48 PM
I also was offered a test drive in melbourne by a local dealership if i get a chance ill take up his offer.Good to see what other car makers have to offer you really can't bag a car until you have taken it for a drive and checked out the features...See what happens.

Charlatan
6th July 2006, 09:50 PM
Anyone noticed that the Megane II RS (225) is available in a 3 door now at $38K?

Cant get the Cup pack on the 3 door unfortunately. I drove the standard and Cup back to back a few months ago and they were very different beasts. That said, all 225's now get the Cup steering upgrades, so there might be less between them now. Still, the Cup chassis is a marvel.

190kW @ 380Nm in the Mazda, that is hugh! Interesting to see how it gets the power down. Will need some sort of torque limiter / traction control system in 1st surely?

Red AH SRI T
7th July 2006, 08:23 AM
Actually all Phase II Meganes get the cup's steering.

An you can get a Cup in a 3 door. There is a limited run of 30 F1 edition cars. Not many, i know, but they look damn hot

Miyagi
7th July 2006, 12:01 PM
Bit gratuitous but hey... if you want to find a review of the MPS3 its available as an attachment here (http://www.hothatchforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=55.0).

Yes I'm a dirty dirty attention seeker. :p If it upsets you please take a moment to stare at my avatar. :cool:

Cheers,
Miyagi

Jass
7th July 2006, 12:15 PM
Isnt it something like 180kw but not much torque, someone told me that the astra g has more torque then this mazda!

I wouldn't buy one, looks nice inside but dont like the exterior at all.

Jass
7th July 2006, 12:22 PM
oh just realised now its 190 kw, same as the mps, was gona think that the mps 3 was gona be downtuned being a smaller car thats impressive

i test drove the 6 mps felt like a sofa on wheels. Not worth the money they are asking

Wraith
7th July 2006, 12:51 PM
Isnt it something like 180kw but not much torque, someone told me that the astra g has more torque then this mazda!

Don't know about that Jass, all the literature so far says 380mn, compared to Astra G's 250mn - that's a huge difference, you could hang them for false advertising......

They also claim 0-100km/h in 6.1 sec. it must have more power/torque than Astra G's since MPS 3 weight is greater and Astra does 0-100km/h in around 7.2 sec. stock standard ??

Curious though, I thought it would be in the high 5's 0-100km/h, since the times posted up by Aussie in London on the VXR is around the same.......VXR has 60nm less torque and no LSD, MPS 3 must weigh alot more ??

puddleglum
7th July 2006, 03:50 PM
Don't know about that Jass, all the literature so far says 380mn, compared to Astra G's 250mn - that's a huge difference, you could hang them for false advertising......

They also claim 0-100km/h in 6.1 sec. it must have more power/torque than Astra G's since MPS 3 weight is greater and Astra does 0-100km/h in around 7.2 sec. stock standard ??

Curious though, I thought it would be in the high 5's 0-100km/h, since the times posted up by Aussie in London on the VXR is around the same.......VXR has 60nm less torque and no LSD, MPS 3 must weigh alot more ??
Astra VXR is supposed to do low 6s, weights are comparable. MPS output is electronically limited in 1st gear, which may lop off a few 10ths for hard launches (and corresponding warranty claims).

The real test for both cars is in-gear acceleration, once the front tires hook up, and particularly beyond 100 km/h. Not that that is ever possible in Oz. ;)

sammykkwok
7th July 2006, 11:06 PM
In my opinion, I would rather get a WRX if I'm paying more then 40G for a turbo car!

Sammy

MatsHolden
7th July 2006, 11:17 PM
In my opinion, I would rather get a WRX if I'm paying more then 40G for a turbo car!

Sammy

Hmmm, VXR and MPS gets the power as well as the quality fit and finish and eye catching looks. Rexy lacks a bit in the aesthetics but more so in the quality of the fit and finish. But don't get me wrong, Rexy's are great for their AWD capabilities but you get a better all round package with the VXR I think.

Cheers
Mat

Charlatan
8th July 2006, 09:39 AM
Actually all Phase II Meganes get the cup's steering.

An you can get a Cup in a 3 door. There is a limited run of 30 F1 edition cars. Not many, i know, but they look damn hot

Ah true. I think those F1s are a bit ugly really. I think its the black wheels. Just dont do it for me. Will be interesting to see how fast they sell.

phat-dave
8th July 2006, 11:23 AM

Sammy

a rex is quick, that is all.

Shaun
8th July 2006, 11:56 AM
A REX.... When will people learn they are over rated.... The only Subaru WRX i would buy is a STi . The reason i say they are over rated is due to the fact they dont have the finish of the Hot Hatches. Even the Mazda MPS 3 has a Finish that is worth money you spend on them.

Shaun

Wraith
8th July 2006, 04:37 PM

Sammy

Each to their own Sammy, but I have to agree with the guys above, the rex is a damn ugly car, from the first model to date - it just keeps getting ugglier IMHO.

It does have good performance (modded) and that is the only reason IMO most people who have one got it for.......now that there are going to be other hot fours combining similar performance with good looks, I'll bet Subaru are going to have far less sales of the rex in time to come - we've already heard from quite a few who have gone VXR over rex or even 200sx.

And also I've driven a rex (an MY99) and I've got to say, you just can't live it stock standard - the turbo lag is ridiculous, you got to really be mercyless and clutch bomb or rev it's nut off to get max performance out of the thing, but when you drive an Astra T it's response is almost like having a bigger rather than turbo'd engine, making for a much more pleasant drive.

rjastra
9th July 2006, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Wraith
And also I've driven a rex (an MY99) and I've got to say, you just can't live it stock standard - the turbo lag is ridiculous, you got to really be mercyless and clutch bomb .[/QUOTE]

And what has that got to do with a NEW 2.5L Wrx? Comparing a 1999 WRX with a new VRX etc is a bit silly.

Wraith
10th July 2006, 01:35 PM
And what has that got to do with a NEW 2.5L Wrx? Comparing a 1999 WRX with a new VRX etc is a bit silly.

Well from what I know they all suffer from similar turbo lag new and older models - the sti is worse again.

Someone who's driven or owns a current model can comment if they're any better, even if so it won't be as good as an Astra's t's response.

Obviously due to using a big turbo to get the top end power, but with the smaller units of the Euro cars, it dosn't happen as much - we all know that.

But like I said and it's just my opinion, it's each to their own, some may like lag and a sudden rush, I like strong and more instant response, VXR seems to have it all going.

Hanging to see how the MPS compares.

astro boy
10th July 2006, 02:00 PM
So I took one for a test drive on Saturday. Black one with the sports pack. Like everyone said the exterior looks very similar to the sp23. You just have to know what your looking for (bigger wheels, bonnet, etc.) from the back with the bigger exhaust the car looks pretty good. It doesn't have the looks of the VXR but it seems that Mazda were going for completely different look with this car. Its got a more classy look about it.
Car may not look any different from a sp23 but it certainly sounds different. I reved the this baby to the max and the sound! Simply awesome. The 2.3 turbo was a little disappointing. Sure it's got lots of power and torque but it just didn't have that turbo surge. It felt more like a big v6 with smooth power delivery than a turbo. Most will say this is a good thing, but I like that feeling you get with a bit of turbo lag.
The torque limit on the 1st and 2nd gear was no issue. The car literally went side ways when I did a hard. The interior is nothing to write home about but its still better than the pics i've seen of the vxr (IMO).

rjastra
10th July 2006, 02:54 PM
Well from what I know they all suffer from similar turbo lag new and older models - the sti is worse again.

I have driven a current model STi (2.5L). Turbo lag? Was never an issue.