PDA

View Full Version : Black Astra AH SRi Turbo: My first 3 days...

Pom
3rd July 2006, 08:10 AM
Thought i'd record a few thoughts of my new baby - which I picked up on Friday from Peninsula Holden, Dee Why (ask for Lyel Eder - great service...goes the extra yard).
In short - its been a dream. As per previous threads, i'm coming out of a nissan 200sx s15. Couldn't have been happier with her, but she was 80k km on the clock so needed moving on. Expected to find it difficult to replace in terms of fun and thunder - but I shouldn't have worried - the SRi T delivers in spades. The handling is great (particularly in sports mode). Corners beautifully - you soon get to trust it. It'll go exactly where you want it to.
It takes off really well and has a great engine noise right from the word go (without any gimmicky add-ons like the xr5). My wife - who is a real hoon - absolutely loves it and is already fighting me for the keys (she drives a Pajero Exceed, so I suppose that's understandable). Response rate from 80 to 120 and from 120 up is world class. Stereo is a quality unit - 130w speakers have already had a workout. Leather is great - comfortable and well finished (with the heated seats getting a workout from my girls). Climate control a breeze to operate and it works well. 8 degrees when I got into her this am. Warm within a minute! Space is amazing - two 17-year olds in the back at the w/e found they didn't have to have the knees up their nose (as they did with the nissan) when travelling. Little things that please - the touch pad handle to open the boot, the size of the glove box, individual reading lights for rear passengers. Only niggle - and its not really a niggle - is coming to terms with the various bits and pieces included in the trip computer.
And it looks sooooo good - I find myself drifting into the car port for an extra galnce whenever I can (sick and sad, I know!).
So if you are half thinking about one - go for it. You won't be disappointed. If you are considering alternatives - don't waste your time, or your money (unless you plan to race the thing). This is a classic in the making. Enjoy one soon.

oneightoo
3rd July 2006, 08:22 AM
nice report.. good to see another satisfied customer :D

Red AH SRI T
3rd July 2006, 08:36 AM
glad to see your enjoying the car!!!!

shame u didn't come buy it off me :p

aussie_in_london
3rd July 2006, 08:53 AM
If you are considering alternatives - don't waste your time, or your money (
unless you considering the VXR lol

nice one mate

btm
3rd July 2006, 09:10 AM
just makes me want to upgrade even more now... :)

got any pics?

Pom
3rd July 2006, 09:17 AM
Re pics - will get some tonight

Red AH SRI T
3rd July 2006, 09:52 AM
im seriously thinking about getting o0ne myself, i really need to sit down and do the sums, im not sure if i can stretch to a VXR

Pom
3rd July 2006, 10:01 AM
...another thing that made me very happy - insurance. I used Holden (who use Allianz) - and with no-claims protection and windscreen, it was a tad over 700. This compares to 1900 on the nissan with allianz.
Re VXR - everythin we hear about it suggests it'll have the added power in spades, so if you need that, it'll be the go. But i've got to e honest - i'm not sure i'd ever need it. So it's probably 5-7k in my pocket that i can use elsewhere. We're lucky in Oz with the sri - we get all the looks (that you have to pay extra for in the uk) in the standard package.

Red AH SRI T
3rd July 2006, 10:06 AM
ooh insurance sounds good, i havent got a quote yet, i might do one when i get back to work. I'm currently with allianz anyways.

Only thing i hate about the SRi is the sh!t house colour choices. Black and Silver and special order white!!

Thats just wrong.

If it came in Arden blue i would buy it.

The forthcoming AH7 update will add Magma Red to the colour choices, but its still not enough!!!

Pom
3rd July 2006, 10:14 AM
.....i'm biased as i'm always a black car man, but the sri black (metallic, so it sparkles in the sun) is sexy as....
I am surprised though, that they haven't got more choice.

Red AH SRI T
3rd July 2006, 10:17 AM
my Current AH is black and i have sworn never to buy another black car again.

my car is a year old, and it doesn't have a single scratch or chip or mark but its just so damn hard to keep clean and the clearly visible swirl markds in the paint annoy me.

it looks hot when its clean but keeping it that way is way too hard

MatsHolden
3rd July 2006, 10:25 AM
...the clearly visible swirl markds in the paint annoy me.

Mate, these use to annoy the hell out of me with my saphire black. I started to use Meguiars Next Gen Tech Wax and it completely removes them. Black doesn't worry me too much as I wash it once a week:D .

And Pom, congrats on the purchase mate! My old man's picking up his Black AH SRi this week too, can't wait. I think i'll be hard pressed to get him out of the drivers seat though! lol

Red AH SRI T
3rd July 2006, 10:28 AM
yeah i use the meguiars Next Gen Tech Wax too its great, and i also wash my car every week, well mostly it just gets a little tiresome sometimes :p

Wraith
3rd July 2006, 01:09 PM
Awsome stuff Pom.

I checked out a normal AH 3 door hatch this morning parked just outside my work and the interior on that thing was very nice.......is the sri t the same or better ?

If it's better than no one will have any complaints....

EL BURITO
3rd July 2006, 01:22 PM
Nice to see u are happy pom

Blacky be carful of Allianz they dont like mods at all
(they rejected my policy at renual)

Pom
3rd July 2006, 03:17 PM
Re interior Wraith - as you say, the standard is good. The SRi lifts it further. The leatherwork (not just the seats, but also the door finishings) is first class. The heated seats are fun. The 8 'adjusts' help. The climate control is great - and I don't think that's on the standard 3-door (apologies if i'm wrong). The fitted mats are good quality and unobtrusive (ie they don't jump out and scream 'I'm Holden" or anything over the top). There is some silver metal finishing on the doors and front interior that I think are only on the SRi - and they work well. 7-speaker stereo looks and sounds good. Hope that helps.

Miyagi
3rd July 2006, 07:38 PM
Great read Pom. :)

For the price it really does offer a great all round package, seems to have all the creature comforts one should expect when shelling out over $35K for a hatch.

EL BURITO
3rd July 2006, 08:14 PM
saw a black one when i whent to order parts this avo. dam it was hot. it may have taken the parts guy 20 min to find the part numbers but it just gave me more time to drool. i love that front bumper. It was there demo and it had a big SOLD sticker on it.

phat-dave
3rd July 2006, 09:19 PM
Pom - I am very envious! I ordered my black sri last week and have been told I have to wait until September for the next shipment!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

There is no doubt about it, the SRI is an absolute steal at $35k - Personally I think the VXR is a wank, cheap nasty interior, boy racer exhaust, definitely a horsepower hero and nothing else.

Having previously owned an SS Commodore over a Clubsport because of the boyracer appeal, all I can say is typical HSV.

Pom, I'm curious because the SRI has same power/torque specs as an S15, how does it compare to your old S15. Is it similar on the move? given its fwd, I doubt it's much to compare off the mark.

Pom
3rd July 2006, 10:01 PM
Good question, Phat-Dave...still early days but at present i'm finding the low end responsiveness of the SRi really good (may simply be a factor of driving a newly tuned motor compared to one that's driven 80kkm). Acceleration from 80 up is very similar (with SRi 'sport' mode)...front to rear wheel drive? I come home every evening and turn a 90 degree corner then land it along 1km of country road - the rear wave of the nissan as it grabs traction was more acute with the s15, but only just.
Bottom line - I loved my s15....but i'm not missing it.

phat-dave
3rd July 2006, 10:10 PM
Good to hear. The S15 was/is a nice car, but lets face it, its a superseed model from over three years ago (last model).

I have to admit whilst test driving the Astra I didn't notice the you beaut accelleration of the 'sports' mode, but the suspension certainly felt stiffer, do you think the sports mode really makes much difference whilst giving it some?

(I know its hard to tell, tight engine, only had it a short time etc. I just wish I had my own in the garage!)

aussie_in_london
3rd July 2006, 10:19 PM
There is no doubt about it, the SRI is an absolute steal at $35k - Personally I think the VXR is a wank, cheap nasty interior, boy racer exhaust, definitely a horsepower hero and nothing else.

from your opinion i take it you have driven or even sat in a VXR?
interior cheap and nasty so why did you order an SRi then?
The VXR comes equiped with the same good quality material the SRi has plus it is fitted with standard part leather recaros which also includes leather door panels and most of the rear seating in leather plus the added advantage of an uprated Lotus developed chassie and suspension set up over the SRi's IDSplus, now dont get me started on the ecu & engine develpment but it is above that of the 200ps powerplant in the SRi which is mind you classed as a warm hatch in Europe. Having owned an H SRi and now a VXR your opinions based from magazine write ups are a little outdated mate, but enjoy your SRi as it is a nice refined car and good value.

phat-dave
3rd July 2006, 10:31 PM
from your opinion i take it you have driven or even sat in a VXR?
interior cheap and nasty so why did you order an SRi then?
The VXR comes equiped with the same good quality material the SRi has plus it is fitted with standard part leather recaros which also includes leather door panels and most of the rear seating in leather plus the added advantage of an uprated Lotus developed chassie and suspension set up over the SRi's IDSplus, now dont get me started on the ecu & engine develpment but it is above that of the 200ps powerplant in the SRi which is mind you classed as a warm hatch in Europe. Having owned an H SRi and now a VXR your opinions based from magazine write ups are a little outdated mate, but enjoy your SRi as it is a nice refined car and good value.

not at all, mere observations but from your own admissions you agree, it is a boyracer mobile. you commented on the many features, lotus tuned suspension, better ecu/tuning, words like "powerplant" - all coincide with what i just said about attracting the boyracer market.

from the information available to us in australia, the vxr is a powerhouse, no doubt about it. this is the market they want to attract, typical of hsv and lets face it, it works for them.

to me, the interior looks tacky with half leather recaros, i dont like the ten spoke wheels, i dont like the sports colour coded grill, but i'm not buying this car as evidenced, im getting an sri.

i think many are simply excited over the power and ability of this car, rather than the practicality and comforts which it can provide.

bottom line, its an astra not a monaro. but we could be here all day with the vxr vs sri debate, similar to what used to occur with wrx vs sti.

MatsHolden
3rd July 2006, 10:38 PM
bottom line, its an astra not a monaro.

And the Astra SRi kills the Monaro and SS for handling. Would give it a good run for it's money around a tight track. But I still love the Monaro and SS:D.

Shaun
3rd July 2006, 10:41 PM
Congratulations on your new Buy. Any pics of the car yet?

Be sure to Join the NSW Forum too. A cruise is about be be placed up and if your interested in coming along you are most welcome. i would love to see a New SRi Against a older SRi on the road and see the new generation and old generation side by side.

Shaun

phat-dave
3rd July 2006, 10:46 PM
And the Astra SRi kills the Monaro and SS for handling. Would give it a good run for it's money around a tight track. But I still love the Monaro and SS:D.

sorry to disappoint, but the sri is not even in the same league. mindyou, it is 20k cheaper than the ss and 25k cheaper than the muzza so you certainly cant hold that against it...

the sri/vxr are excellent cars, my comments were my own opinion based upon what ive seen... an example though:

sri interior:
http://www.digiads.com.au/car-news/images/article_6080-img_3.jpg
vxr
http://flickr.com/photos/jason_tan/114459902/in/set-72057594085368277/
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/dennis/20060307/13/4136702944.jpg

buy either one and im sure you'd be happy, theyre excellent cars and its a great time for us consumers, we're finally get some decent hot hatches down under!

Shaun
3rd July 2006, 10:49 PM
not at all, mere observations but from your own admissions you agree, it is a boyracer mobile. you commented on the many features, lotus tuned suspension, better ecu/tuning, words like "powerplant" - all coincide with what i just said about attracting the boyracer market.

from the information available to us in australia, the vxr is a powerhouse, no doubt about it. this is the market they want to attract, typical of hsv and lets face it, it works for them.

to me, the interior looks tacky with half leather recaros, i dont like the ten spoke wheels, i dont like the sports colour coded grill, but i'm not buying this car as evidenced, im getting an sri.

i think many are simply excited over the power and ability of this car, rather than the practicality and comforts which it can provide.

bottom line, its an astra not a monaro. but we could be here all day with the vxr vs sri debate, similar to what used to occur with wrx vs sti.

Ok im going jump in her after being in a VXR two weekends ago in The UK . The VXR has a very refined Interior as dose the New SRi T. I dont see where its a boy racers Interior . I think you would call a WRX a Boy racer Interior. The Recaro's in the VXR are rather stylish and are very comfy to sit in . No not to take anything away from the SRi T . The SRi T is a very refined package and would be my second choice if the VXR is for sum reason unobtainable. But the VXR is far from a Boy Racers car. its a True Hot Hatch to be more correct.

aussie_in_london
3rd July 2006, 11:05 PM

far from being a boyracers car in price and insurance level alone, here we find them in the corsa (no offence to some) saxo and so on, Aus kitted up excels lol large deafining exhausts without the power to match, tack on body kits etc all at low affordable price ranges, the VXR in the UK has a large amout of older followers purchasing them and at the production rate 2500 for the UK and less now with numbers from that going to Aus will not be a common site on the road as say the Focus ST/XR5. My way to put it is get behind the wheel of one before judging because i think you will be pleasently suprised on its comfort level and how well it handles around town and on the open roads (i live in central London) my old man is currently over staying with us and he is a V8 ute man, just recently sold his 04 SS and now has his mind set on the SS Thunder ute but his opinion has now changed after we took him on a VXR track day at Thruxton race track and he was able to drive the entire VXR range from the astra throught to the monaro plus the trips we have done in mine and at 54 he is suprised at its handling, confort and performance and is starting to change on what he will purchase on his return to Aus next month, get up close and personal with the VXR as its not all what you see in a glossy magazine and at present far from a boyracers car.
practicality and comfort between the 2, same amount of rear luggage space, fuel economy is the same press the sports button on the SRi and you will see the confort and drivablity go out the window on a corrigated rough road., hence the reason Lotus was brought in for the VXR in the UK.

Old school hot hatch not boy racer

phat-dave
3rd July 2006, 11:08 PM
well from what you both are saying and youve both experienced the vxr firsthand, it sounds a lot better than the picture im forming in my head from the information (lack thereof) we're getting over here, especially considering we're only 8-10 weeks away from launch.

aussie_in_london
3rd July 2006, 11:12 PM
one point i will make, the standard astra VXR does outperform the VXR Monaro around a track, even the prodrivers at the VXR track day clearly made the point, i noticed the difference in the 2 and my old man being a V8 man stated the astra was the better drive, so it may only be an astra but a mighty fine track handling one at that that holds the record for its class of the Nurburing at 8min 35

MatsHolden
3rd July 2006, 11:17 PM
sorry to disappoint, but the sri is not even in the same league. mindyou, it is 20k cheaper than the ss and 25k cheaper than the muzza so you certainly cant hold that against it...

the sri/vxr are excellent cars, my comments were my own opinion based upon what ive seen... an example though:

sri interior:
http://www.digiads.com.au/car-news/images/article_6080-img_3.jpg
vxr
http://flickr.com/photos/jason_tan/114459902/in/set-72057594085368277/
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/dennis/20060307/13/4136702944.jpg

buy either one and im sure you'd be happy, theyre excellent cars and its a great time for us consumers, we're finally get some decent hot hatches down under!

Have to disagree there mate. I've driven an '04 VY II SS a fair bit and yeh of course it whips the SRi's ass a mile in the power and torque, but throwing the SRi into a corner compared to the SS is completely different. SRi leaves the SS for dead. I thought the SS handled well but after I drove the SRi the other day the SS feels pretty ordinary in the handling department now. Only a few days left until the old man gets the SRi can't wait! haha Will have to take the SS for a final fang though because there is nothing like the tail happy V8 for the power thrill and power oversteer, will miss it's grunt.

aussie_in_london
4th July 2006, 01:05 AM
sorry Pom we hijacked your thread, nice car mate

Pom
4th July 2006, 07:14 AM
....phew - looks like I missed a good chat on the vxr. Such is life.

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was the response i've been getting from punters to the wheels - both the tyres but in particular the alloys. Have to say they do look great - better in the flesh than in the pics even.

Even had a Ford mate of mine, who is set on the XR5, wax lyrical about the SRi setup over the 'snowflakes' on the focus!

phat-dave
4th July 2006, 08:03 AM
Have to disagree there mate. I've driven an '04 VY II SS a fair bit and yeh of course it whips the SRi's ass a mile in the power and torque, but throwing the SRi into a corner compared to the SS is completely different. SRi leaves the SS for dead. I thought the SS handled well but after I drove the SRi the other day the SS feels pretty ordinary in the handling department now. Only a few days left until the old man gets the SRi can't wait! haha Will have to take the SS for a final fang though because there is nothing like the tail happy V8 for the power thrill and power oversteer, will miss it's grunt.

I actually owned a vyii ss myself which was what my comparison was based upon.

Congrats Pom, lucky bastard! Now, where are those pics?? :cool:

MatsHolden
4th July 2006, 09:55 AM
Yeh looking forward to seeing some photos.

R3N
4th July 2006, 04:55 PM
im envious, but i'll bet you will have alot of fun in that. and i'll have one in white please! :D

blueraven
4th July 2006, 05:32 PM
sorry to disappoint, but the sri is not even in the same league.

no its not in the same league. i was playing with an ss about a week ago and overtook him round the outside of a nice 100kph+ bend (roe hwy exit guys...lovely new road :D)

of course as per normal for a yob v8 moron, after losing round the corner he thought it was super cool blast past me at 150kph+ in relatively busy traffic in an 80 zone.

i agree in the straights stock vs stock cant compete...but once the road curves the ss is comparitively a barge.

sparks
4th July 2006, 08:44 PM
The ah sri turbo nice looking car indeed got two at my dealership 1 black 1 silver i would nearly consider selling my ts sri turbo for a silver ah sri turbo....enjoy your new car....

JR
4th July 2006, 11:40 PM
congrats pom on ur new ride :)
lucky bum

if all goes to plan, i hope to b da proud new owner of the astra vxr - fingers, hands, legs, feet, n eyes crossed!! LOL

have fun dude - enjoy every moment.

play hard, drive smart