PDA

View Full Version : Astra H - Colour coding - Feedback needed. Thanks.

MK
29th June 2006, 11:25 AM
Hi,

I have decided to colour code my Silver Astra H (CD) If possible, could any Astra owners who had their cars colour coded provide feedback.

1. who can you reccomend in Sydney and why?
2. how much did it cost? (side door strips, door handles, rear bumper strips, front bumper lip and fog light sorrounds, grill)
3. when it comes to door handles. should i get the dealer option and have them installed instead of colour coding the current black ones?
4. how long did it take for the work to be completed, how many days?
5. what should i look for when it comes to colour coding, is there a special way it requires to be done?
6. i want to paint the engine cover (the plastic cover - the one with the Ecotec written on it) can i safely remove it and leave it to be painted and still drive my car?

all feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance...

Marcin

MatsHolden
29th June 2006, 11:42 AM
Answering question number 3... The body colour door handles are not a dealer fitted accessory or factory option on models that don't have them standard. You would be able to get the genuine colour coded door handles through spare parts at your dealer, but you'll be paying substantial dollars for them, so I would say it would be much nicer financially to have your door handles prepd, primed and painted.

Cheers
Mat

MK
29th June 2006, 09:53 PM
thanks...will most likely have the door handles colour coded instead of replacing them with factory painted ones. thanks again.

MK
29th June 2006, 09:54 PM
any one else has had their car colour coded and can answer the above questions or give some kind of advice? just in case i get ripped off.

Kacper
30th June 2006, 06:12 PM
5. what should i look for when it comes to colour coding, is there a special way it requires to be done?
6. i want to paint the engine cover (the plastic cover - the one with the Ecotec written on it) can i safely remove it and leave it to be painted and still drive my car?

I'm in the process of respraying my bonnet and bumpers and at the same time I am colour coding, was spraying today until the damn air compressor's gasket blew and I had to make a new one. Anyway what needs to be done is that the plastic needs to be sanded to get rid of it's bumpy texture, which actually takes really long, then you spray it with plactic adhesive primer, then with primer filler, then you sand it and it should become silky smooth, also takes some time, then prime it and finally spray it.
The plastic cover does nothing, it's just to tidy up the engine's appearance, you'll be fine driving without.

EL BURITO
30th June 2006, 07:30 PM
I got quoted $350 for the corsa for the bump strips, side strips and mirror base plates

MK
1st July 2006, 12:54 AM
Gentlemen, thank you... i suspected the door strips would be a pain to do :)
$350 is not bad...i have $500 put aside just for colour coding.

MK
14th August 2007, 11:55 AM
getting back to this one...i decided to colour code it next week, but what i wanted to know what is required to have the side strips and protective strips colour coded but leaving it textured (bumpy) and not sanded...i kind of like it the way it looks textured and not smooth.

do i just clean the strips (they have been removed) properly, apply plastic adhesive primer (once) then primer filler (once) and then spray paint?

USC
14th August 2007, 01:27 PM
if u like textured finish, then only use plastic primer. Do not apply any primer surfacer.

r u doing it yourself?? I wouldnt recommend painting 2k paint at home....very dangerous for your health.

MK
14th August 2007, 02:13 PM
thanks...so no primer filler, got it ;)

i am prepping it myself but will have it spray painted at a car body shop...
i have succesfuly removed all (except door handles and door side strips) black plastics (moulds) from the bumper bars...

MatsHolden
14th August 2007, 07:57 PM
if u like textured finish, then only use plastic primer. Do not apply any primer surfacer.

r u doing it yourself?? I wouldnt recommend painting 2k paint at home....very dangerous for your health.

Just wear a resperator. I'm still alive. :p

Think carefully about keeping the texture. It looks fine on 'raw' plastic, but on the painted finish it doesn't look so crash hot.

USC
14th August 2007, 11:56 PM
Just where a resperator. I'm still alive. :p

Think carefully about keeping the texture. It looks fine on 'raw' plastic, but on the painted finish it doesn't look so crash hot.

I agree...it might even look a different colour if it is metallic...

Respirator:eek: ..not enough for 2k paint...it doesnt filter the nasty particles in the hardner...if you`re spraying small parts in the open air, then thats fine I suppose.

MK
15th August 2007, 04:41 PM
OK, see i am getting it sprayed as a favour from a friend (he works for a car body shop) and i really like the look of the textured side and bumper bar strips...do you think i should bite the bullet and go ahead and start the painstaiking job of sanding it back (i really dont want to and i really like the look of the texture) ??

what would you guys recommend if i was to leave the bumpy texture, what type of paint, still 2pack or maybe something else?

MatsHolden
15th August 2007, 05:39 PM
OK, see i am getting it sprayed as a favour from a friend (he works for a car body shop) and i really like the look of the textured side and bumper bar strips...do you think i should bite the bullet and go ahead and start the painstaiking job of sanding it back (i really dont want to and i really like the look of the texture) ??

what would you guys recommend if i was to leave the bumpy texture, what type of paint, still 2pack or maybe something else?

Personally, I'd sand it back. The thing with the texture on a painted finish, you get reflections. The material surface texture creates too many varying surface angles, therefore reflecting all different parts of the surrounding environment, giving it a look as if the paint finish has been mucked up.

2pack is fine either way.

Huhness
16th August 2007, 10:02 AM
I left the bumpy texture on my side strips and it looks fine! I couldn't be bothered sanding them back i'm sick of sanding stuff..!

USC
16th August 2007, 10:26 AM
Hey, 2pack is the way to go. The best paint available so far. If you want to get rid of texture:

1. Spray plastic primer
2. Spray 2k primer surfacer -- that will fill up the texture
3. Sand down to a smooth finish
4. Spray base colour and 2k clear

I wouldnt recommend sanding down the plastic itself as you will not get it perfect and will be a lot harder.

How deep is the texture? if its not too deep, you can get away without sanding to a smooth finish.

MatsHolden
16th August 2007, 12:32 PM
Hey, 2pack is the way to go. The best paint available so far. If you want to get rid of texture:

1. Spray plastic primer
2. Spray 2k primer surfacer -- that will fill up the texture
3. Sand down to a smooth finish
4. Spray base colour and 2k clear

I wouldnt recommend sanding down the plastic itself as you will not get it perfect and will be a lot harder.

How deep is the texture? if its not too deep, you can get away without sanding to a smooth finish.

A spray primer filler won't fill the texture enough. It's quite easy to get an even finish on the plastic with wet sanding.

USC
16th August 2007, 10:28 PM
A spray primer filler won't fill the texture enough. It's quite easy to get an even finish on the plastic with wet sanding.

yeh, I meant spray primer filler, then wet sand:) ...so you dont have to wet sand heaps.