only 270?

i guess if you like utes thats fast....

btm
28th June 2006, 03:07 PM
realisticly, anything over 200km/h is fast in Australia

CJB
28th June 2006, 03:14 PM
realisticly, anything over 200km/h is fast in Australia

In proper conditions, we had the Lancer to now 190km/hr the other day.

270 would be flying!!!!!

I dont trust myself at speeds like that. Not yet. Not without driver training. That's for the pro's...

but then again, Skyline's can push that mark too (270km)

MatsHolden
28th June 2006, 04:01 PM
Very impressive. That's quick for a stock standard production car!

auzvectra
28th June 2006, 05:50 PM
hehe, crispy. my old n13 pulsar beat that :P.i hit 198, and 200 1 day when it popped the belts off (alternator, powersteer).
but i spose it was a euro motor (18le) :)

stevedee3
28th June 2006, 08:14 PM
Very impressive. That's quick for a stock standard production car!It's quick for a ute, but nothing special for a car...

MatsHolden
28th June 2006, 09:08 PM
It's quick for a ute, but nothing special for a car...

For an Australian made car around $60k, that is very quick.

stevedee3
28th June 2006, 10:13 PM
For an Australian made car around $60k, that is very quick.How fast does a stock-standard V6 Commodore go? They'd easily beat 250km/h wouldn't they? Or are they artificially speed-limited?

Nem
28th June 2006, 10:27 PM
How fast does a stock-standard V6 Commodore go? They'd easily beat 250km/h wouldn't they? Or are they artificially speed-limited?
My mates XR6 NASP is speed limited @ 208km/hr. He did Broome - Kal - Port Augusta - Darwin in under 4 days (was in the pub having a coldie by lunchtime) cause the highway at the WA/NT border was flooded and he had to be back at work.

MatsHolden
28th June 2006, 11:20 PM
How fast does a stock-standard V6 Commodore go? They'd easily beat 250km/h wouldn't they? Or are they artificially speed-limited?

Nah would be pushin to get to 250km/h in V6 Commodore. The SS has a claimed top speed of 260ish.

stevedee3
28th June 2006, 11:49 PM
Nah would be pushin to get to 250km/h in V6 Commodore. The SS has a claimed top speed of 260ish.Makes my 248 km/h Vectra seem not too bad then :)

MatsHolden
28th June 2006, 11:57 PM
Makes my 248 km/h Vectra seem not too bad then :)

Obviously depends on the gearing, the Vectra would have much taller gearing than a Commodore due to the fact that they have autobahns in Europe to cruise along at those speeds, if only we had those here!:D

Vectracious
29th June 2006, 12:19 AM
Pretty sure that a stock standard V6 Commo would be pushing to hit 220 - top gear is pretty tall and the V6 probably doesnt have enough torque to go faster...

I remember back when the VT first came out, I read a report in a mag where they took them up to the NT and the V6 were doing 210 flat out.

EL BURITO
29th June 2006, 03:17 AM
Thats the best reson to go visit NEM just to see how fast u can go l

MatsHolden
29th June 2006, 10:42 AM
Pretty sure that a stock standard V6 Commo would be pushing to hit 220 - top gear is pretty tall and the V6 probably doesnt have enough torque to go faster...

I remember back when the VT first came out, I read a report in a mag where they took them up to the NT and the V6 were doing 210 flat out.

Yeh that's what I would've thought.

Also I think people are forgetting that the Maloo reached this speed in just 1km.

stevedee3
29th June 2006, 11:30 AM
Obviously depends on the gearing, the Vectra would have much taller gearing than a Commodore due to the fact that they have autobahns in Europe to cruise along at those speeds, if only we had those here!:DMost of our roads are far too rough... Are the roads in NT good enough to drive at high speed?

MatsHolden
29th June 2006, 11:37 AM
Most of our roads are far too rough... Are the roads in NT good enough to drive at high speed?

A few of the freeways and highways are ideal... NT roads are pretty ordinary though, still good fun but!

Vectracious
29th June 2006, 12:43 PM
Wasn't the Hume Fwy engineered so cars can cruise at 130-140km/h?

Maybe in the future

Wraith
29th June 2006, 01:03 PM
only 270?

i guess if you like utes thats fast....

BR, how can you say "only 270" ?? where could you possibly go or want to go faster than that, except on a race track or on some NT de-restricted straight with a supercar or bike.

I've been up to over 230km/h in my late LS1 powered R8 clubsport and well over 140mph in my old 9 sec XU1 drag car and let me tell you, if you ain't been at those speeds before, it's bloody scary and you'd want to have miles of straight road ahead of you.
For anyone else who has, they'll tell you there's so much difference from say 180-190km/h to going well over 200, it feels like your going twice as fast again when you approach 250km/h.

I would never want to do these speeds on a motorbike - your just askin

oneightoo
29th June 2006, 01:23 PM
i had my astra sri up to 190km/h could have pushed on but didnt really want to.. my vn commo was speed limited to 180km/h..

auzvectra
29th June 2006, 05:18 PM
i had our old vp commo v6 ip to 240kmh flat out, it had some serious cold air induction, and k&n panel.
i had a my first car upto 280kmh, damn never again in an old commodore, from what i remember it was pretty steady, but i was young n stupid, so no idea.
that was a vk commo with an efi 5.0L too by the way, was crazy quick.

MatsHolden
29th June 2006, 05:36 PM
Remember this record wasn't about getting the top speed out of the car, they only had 1km to do it in. And mate you got to 280km/h in your VK 5.0L? The VL Commodore SS Group A Walkinshaw had a top speed of 232km/h.

Vectracious
29th June 2006, 06:06 PM
i had a my first car upto 280kmh, damn never again in an old commodore, from what i remember it was pretty steady, but i was young n stupid, so no idea.
that was a vk commo with an efi 5.0L too by the way, was crazy quick.

Sounds interesting - what did you have done in the VK - obviously there was an engine transplant to start with.....

stevedee3
29th June 2006, 08:09 PM
Remember this record wasn't about getting the top speed out of the car, they only had 1km to do it in. And mate you got to 280km/h in your VK 5.0L? The VL Commodore SS Group A Walkinshaw had a top speed of 232km/h.The way I read it, the 1km isn't the amount of "run up" they had, it was the distance over which the speed was calculated. But I could be wrong...

CJB
29th June 2006, 09:13 PM
i had my astra sri up to 190km/h could have pushed on but didnt really want to.. my vn commo was speed limited to 180km/h..

Ooo000ooo000 Im telling your Mum :p

I was going to say... I think a lot of 4's have better luck going over 200km then most 6's.

MatsHolden
29th June 2006, 11:11 PM
The way I read it, the 1km isn't the amount of "run up" they had, it was the distance over which the speed was calculated. But I could be wrong...

Hmm.. I read it as being they had a 1km strip of road to start from 0km/h and see what 'top speed' they would reach at the 1km mark. So like a 1/4 mile run but over 1km.

btm
30th June 2006, 08:13 AM
Hmm.. I read it as being they had a 1km strip of road to start from 0km/h and see what 'top speed' they would reach at the 1km mark. So like a 1/4 mile run but over 1km.
this is how i read it also mat... but i could be wrong...

CJB
30th June 2006, 08:22 AM
this is how i read it also mat... but i could be wrong...

bryne is never wrong :p

stevedee3
30th June 2006, 01:50 PM
Hmm.. I read it as being they had a 1km strip of road to start from 0km/h and see what 'top speed' they would reach at the 1km mark. So like a 1/4 mile run but over 1km.OK, I think I've found the answer:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com

This states that it was a "flying kilometre". I think you're reading it as a "standing kilometre".

Wraith
3rd July 2006, 01:00 PM
Remember this record wasn't about getting the top speed out of the car, they only had 1km to do it in. And mate you got to 280km/h in your VK 5.0L? The VL Commodore SS Group A Walkinshaw had a top speed of 232km/h.

I havn't checked the above clip, but on the V8 supercars yesterday they showed the whole Skaife, ute record run and I remember hearing it did it over a 5.2km run........

And yes, 280km/h in a VK 5.0ltr - hard to believe, unless the motor was very highly modified, I had a VH 5.0ltr SL/E with a worked engine - hi po cam, yella terra heads, bored 30 thou, higher comp and re-calibrated Rochester and dizzy done by Tate Phillips engineering (who used to do all the Brockie stuff) and it struggled anywhere over 190km/h, max. I could get was just over 200km/h, very slow gain from there on - diff ratio was 3:08, so it wasn't due to gearing........

MatsHolden
3rd July 2006, 01:39 PM
I havn't checked the above clip, but on the V8 supercars yesterday they showed the whole Skaife, ute record run and I remember hearing it did it over a 5.2km run........

And yes, 280km/h in a VK 5.0ltr - hard to believe, unless the motor was very highly modified, I had a VH 5.0ltr SL/E with a worked engine - hi po cam, yella terra heads, bored 30 thou, higher comp and re-calibrated Rochester and dizzy done by Tate Phillips engineering (who used to do all the Brockie stuff) and it struggled anywhere over 190km/h, max. I could get was just over 200km/h, very slow gain from there on - diff ratio was 3:08, so it wasn't due to gearing........

Yeh I just caught the tail end of that on the V8's yesterday, was spewin! lol

And your VH... now that I can believe! :D How good do the 5.0L Holden bent 8's sound! Pure bliss.

dodgyblue
4th July 2006, 11:44 AM
hehe, crispy. my old n13 pulsar beat that :P.i hit 198, and 200 1 day when it popped the belts off (alternator, powersteer).
but i spose it was a euro motor (18le) :)

Huh? The n13 had a euro motor? I thought it used the Family2 from the Camira. I had a 1989 Series II for about 8 years and had to trade it in because it started getting very expensive to fix.. EMC went, alternator went, fuel pump went...

Wraith
4th July 2006, 01:18 PM
How good do the 5.0L Holden bent 8's sound! Pure bliss.

Oh yeh, the sound with the right exhaust from any of the older V8's even rovers - pure horn bag wet dreams stuff, drool, drool, they even make a wrx sound like an old 2 stroke lawn mower by comparison LOL.

auzvectra
9th July 2006, 09:21 AM
as i said, it was an efi 5.0L :).
n i wont say what was done to it :P.
but i aint no liar.

auzvectra
9th July 2006, 09:25 AM
Sounds interesting - what did you have done in the VK - obviously there was an engine transplant to start with.....

yeah, was a late model 5.0L, well mighta been a 5.7L, not sure they are both the same on the outside. but it wasnt standard.
good thing the car was really low :).

Vectracious
9th July 2006, 09:48 AM
yeah, was a late model 5.0L, well mighta been a 5.7L, not sure they are both the same on the outside. but it wasnt standard.
good thing the car was really low :).

Go on, you can give us more than that!!!

When you said that it was a late model 5.0-5.7 - so it would have had to have been the stroker motor out of the VR GTS-R with a 6 speed.