PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust size

FLY-SRi
1st May 2004, 10:41 PM
Hey guys, just wondering what size exhaust size is recommended for the SRiT? im planning on getting one soon and just needed some guidence on what size is best for my car?
Also does any1 know wot type of panel air filter is better outta the BMC and the KN? or is it just personal preference?

Degen-Astra
1st May 2004, 10:55 PM
I think there is a post about this in the turbo section. Mr_astra, Turblue, OPL20T and Rhino (to my knowledge) have all had there pipes done.

Jass
2nd May 2004, 07:49 PM
Mate the debate about exhaust can go on for days.

Some guys have 3 inches straight through, some have 2.5inches.

Ive got a 3 inch dump pipe to a 3 inch bend flex, into a 3 inch wide body high flow cat and a 3 inch cat back.

Degen-Astra
2nd May 2004, 07:55 PM
Always have a read through this...found it helpful when i was researching exhausts.

Exhausts... (http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/9912scc_ssbbpart2/index.html)

frankie9fingers
2nd May 2004, 08:12 PM
Personally if you intend on doing other performance mods after the exhaust. i'd go the 3" coz you don't wanna end up changing the exhaust twice coz u got too much back pressure.

Gee Degen, that's a great signature you got there! maybe FLY_SRi would be interested in also clicking on that to find out more info. :wink:

mr_astra_retired
2nd May 2004, 08:29 PM
I have a 3 inch cat back system with Two resornators as well . Keeps it quiet but sounds very nice when you get up it .

I also have a K&N panel filter , but there isnt a huge difference between the two so personal choice mate.

OPL-20T
2nd May 2004, 08:55 PM
i have a 3" from turbo no pre cat 3"into dump pipe with 3" flex bend into a 3" high flo cat continued into at 3" to the petrol tank then 2.5"into a 2.5" baffle muffler to keep it quieter inside the car and i also have a 2.5" chrome end peice with carbon fiber through it to reduce the noise and make is sound rough at the same time at low revs :D.
i also have a replacement K&N pannel filter and AmD re-map with a few glitches hee hee. but its all good wtill waiting for new upgrade map..
hope this helps ya out champ.

gman
4th May 2004, 03:07 AM
For a turbo car, there is no such thing as to big, only to loud. At the end of the article mentioned above it says,

"Add half an inch to the pipe diameter to optimize for nitrous oxide use. For turbocharged engines, 2.5 inches is the minimum size pipe to run, even for the smaller engines. For 2000cc and bigger engines, 3 inches works well and for bigger engines, the biggest (usually 3.5 inch) you can find is appropriate."

Don't go smaller than 2.5 inches, but 3 is the wat to go.