PDA

View Full Version : R3N's new cold air intake

R3N
27th June 2006, 03:11 PM
Vectra C diesel intake replacement?

Run flexible ducting from the front bar?

How about... cut up your headlight and put a straight through pipe?

I'll let the pics do the talking (cos I'm late for lunch will be back later)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~kuekwei/headlightintake4.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~kuekwei/headlightintake5.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~kuekwei/headlightintake6.jpg

Vectracious
27th June 2006, 03:56 PM
Is that legal - because it looks like you've lost the highbeam (unless the main headlight does both)

MrOrange
27th June 2006, 04:10 PM
whoa thats pretty extreme! Thats dedication to cold air lol.. how much are those light assemblies worth?

Not sure whats thats gonna look like ;) I think the cops would have a field day when they saw that one...

Credit for having the balls to chop up what I would suspect to be a rather expensive part to replace! :)

Gildo
27th June 2006, 04:15 PM
R.E.S.P.E.C.T. is all i have to say

MatsHolden
27th June 2006, 04:21 PM
I'm not that desperate for a few more possible kilowatts lol. Got balls son.

R3N
27th June 2006, 05:49 PM
high beam is gone for that one... I did it just for the heck of it... plus I have a spare headlight that can go back on anytime... its not for the power gain... i have little to no expectation for any gains

MatsHolden
27th June 2006, 05:53 PM
high beam is gone for that one... I did it just for the heck of it... plus I have a spare headlight that can go back on anytime... its not for the power gain... i have little to no expectation for any gains

Why do it then? :confused: lol fair enough if you've got a spare headlight.

R3N
27th June 2006, 06:01 PM
Why do it then? :confused: lol fair enough if you've got a spare headlight.

Always wanted to do something like that... well I imagine it would help with the intake feed especially at freeway speeds as there is less restriction (ie. no bends) and is at an area of high pressure.

Will let you all know if it really does anything when I finish it up and put it on lol.

btm
28th June 2006, 09:52 AM
interesting...

R3N
11th July 2006, 01:49 PM
should i polish it up or get it painted in black?

the piping is only mild steel so abit worried about the rusting

The Don
11th July 2006, 01:53 PM
I don't want to sound harsh, but that's a little rich considering similar set ups are used on drag cars, etc... almost fits into the rice category. If you've done it for fun, then good work - is it a straight pipe directly to the air filter box? Would sound interesting!

corsa2nv
11th July 2006, 02:03 PM
i love it, and think you should chrome it up, or spray it silver, so it suits with the headlight, i also think blank would look good, the choice is yours. i love the idea and would do the same if i had a spare headlight :)

R3N
11th July 2006, 02:13 PM
I don't want to sound harsh, but that's a little rich considering similar set ups are used on drag cars, etc... almost fits into the rice category. If you've done it for fun, then good work - is it a straight pipe directly to the air filter box? Would sound interesting!

it is straight up till a connecting pipe which bends to fit the opening of the airbox, i won't be touching the airbox for now

MatsHolden
11th July 2006, 02:13 PM
Won't it be more susceptable to ingesting water when driving in rain?

R3N
11th July 2006, 03:16 PM
Won't it be more susceptable to ingesting water when driving in rain?

probably would but that's why i have spares :D

this is more of an experiment than a performance mod, but have talked to a few people who have an exposed intake permanently and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

air intakes are just one of those mods with potentially small gains, that is why i will dub my project "Maximum potential minor performance" :D

btm
11th July 2006, 03:23 PM
you certainly get an 'A' for effort R3N :D

EL BURITO
11th July 2006, 03:38 PM
rain in WA wat are u talking about

MatsHolden
11th July 2006, 03:59 PM
probably would but that's why i have spares :D

this is more of an experiment than a performance mod, but have talked to a few people who have an exposed intake permanently and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

air intakes are just one of those mods with potentially small gains, that is why i will dub my project "Maximum potential minor performance" :D

haha fair enough. "Maximum potential, minor performance".... mate you should be in marketing. hahah

lowey22
11th July 2006, 04:17 PM
i like it. even if it doesnt do anything, it still would be fun to make.

corsa2nv
11th July 2006, 04:44 PM
dont worry if it rains (water injection :rolleyes: )

mr_sikma
12th July 2006, 03:04 PM
thats awesome mate!!!

in my sigma i have 4 seperate lights at the front. alot guys remove one of the high beams as the turbo and filter is right behind it!

how did you put such a big whole in the light without all the plastic cracking?

oneightoo
12th July 2006, 03:12 PM
R3N gets a gold star and an elephant stamp :D

btm
12th July 2006, 03:35 PM
R3N gets a gold star and an elephant stamp :D
a scratch and sniff one?

MatsHolden
12th July 2006, 05:12 PM
This guy took it to another level... Took the photo at a car show earlier this year.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/6de88148.jpg

oneightoo
12th July 2006, 05:32 PM
thats funny, but then it gets tacky..

R3N
12th July 2006, 05:45 PM
a scratch and sniff one?

why would i want to sniff an elephant?

hope to have it on for a trial run by this friday. still haven't gone and got myself a connecting hose yet

btm
12th July 2006, 05:55 PM
why would i want to sniff an elephant?
good point...

let us know how the 'trial run' goes :)

R3N
14th July 2006, 12:52 PM
test run is a no go, haven't found a proper connecting hose for the piping yet

R3N
14th July 2006, 12:53 PM
how did you put such a big whole in the light without all the plastic cracking?

hole saw mate