PDA

View Full Version : Astra Sri

SKM_87
20th June 2006, 12:53 AM
Ok then, i know i aint said much for a while but i been travellin the country side. anyway i want ask all you people's opinion on a astra Sri??? any little querks with them i will find out later down the track? how due they go for everyday driving?? whats fuel economy like in them?? and ofcourse do you think there worth the money? asking all the coz my mum, yes my mum is looking at buying one. and yes this will suck as my mum is goin to own a car faster than mine. how embarrassing, lol. anything else you would like to share about the car would be appriciated. oh and whats the stock stereo like in them. if its good my mum will keep it and hopefully i can claim her's (its worth claiming) thanx guys (and gals)

InSaNe^Sna1L
20th June 2006, 05:20 AM
Stock stereos pretty good. I replaced mine though after a while. But if you throw in a nice mp3 player for around $400 then you will make the most of the stock speakers.
Make sure you check whether your engine is chain driven or belt driven, this will effect services down the track as the belts are much more expensive per service whereas the belt is only expensive further down the line. Also a few dodgy mechanics might claim that you have a belt even if its chain driven. Luckily I found an honest one.
Fuel economy, I get around 500kms per tank or regular highway/city driving. I can get 550kms out of 3/4 of a tank on a long trip.
Dunno what car you have so not sure if the sri will beat it. But they are pretty snappy when applied some throttle. My only beef is that it doesn't seem to respond quick enough in those crucial moments. But its just a matter of balancing the clutch/accelerator to get the perfect launch.
THey are definately worth the money.

by the way, I am thinking of selling mine in the coming months as I am looking at moving into the city. Will prolly offer around $20,000. Its stock besides a full 2 1/4 exhaust with custom extractors, a blaupunkt stereo inc Mp3 player, and now 2 rockford 12" with a 120a2 Rockford amp. Will prolly use the Rock to power the splits and the blau Velocity to power the subs.

btm
20th June 2006, 08:15 AM
have not had any probs with mine and had it since new for almost 3 years now

stock stereo is great for everyday use

on the open highway i can get 700 km's/tank (98RON)

city driving i average 400-450 km's/tank (98RON) and that's driving it pretty hard sometimes :)

definitialy worth the money in my opinion

hope this helps!

btm
20th June 2006, 08:17 AM
by the way, I am thinking of selling mine in the coming months as I am looking at moving into the city. Will prolly offer around $20,000. Its stock besides a full 2 1/4 exhaust with custom extractors, a blaupunkt stereo inc Mp3 player, and now 2 rockford 12" with a 120a2 Rockford amp. Will prolly use the Rock to power the splits and the blau Velocity to power the subs.
bahahahaha :D

i'm sure his mum would love the sweet tone of the zorst and 2 x 12" subs :D:D:D

woody
20th June 2006, 10:38 AM
I like Bryan have had my SRI for a few Years, have done trips up to Brissy in it where i got similar performance (700k's per tank) and alot of short trips where I got as little as 360k's per tank - I probably average about 400- 450 per tank city driving. I had one issue with it; cracked cylinder head, although the diagnosis of this took too long, once identified it was replaced under warranty by Holden without any issue.

I love my car.. with a good Swaybar and some good rubber it'll hang on to corners like a dero holds a bottle of wine.

(but get a manual)

SKM_87
20th June 2006, 11:22 AM
thanx guys that helps alot.

bahahahaha :D

i'm sure his mum would love the sweet tone of the zorst and 2 x 12" subs :D:D:D

yeh she would actually, hahaha. current car runs a exhaust and a kicker systems through it (such as why i want to claim it, mwahahaha).

well they sound like a good car. found one problem with them though. the insurance company wont let me drive it until im 30. pricks.

btm
20th June 2006, 11:31 AM
well they sound like a good car. found one problem with them though. the insurance company wont let me drive it until im 30. pricks.
that sounds more like the SRi Turbo - make sure you tell them its a 2.2L N/A engine

SKM_87
20th June 2006, 11:34 AM
nah were planning on gettin the turbo version.

btm
20th June 2006, 12:47 PM
nah were planning on gettin the turbo version.
oh right... you might want to mention that in your original post

please disregard my first post above then - this was referring to the 2.2L NA SRi

SKM_87
20th June 2006, 01:30 PM
yeh soz bout that, didnt know there woz a na version until i looked around this mornin

InSaNe^Sna1L
21st June 2006, 06:17 PM
ahh i have the 2.2 as well.

You will have more luck with insurance for the 2.2.

Also forgot to mention....I have Goodyear F1 tyres on my car. GOt them cheap because the headoffice stuffed the order and the manager at the store got me the better ones. Will definately recommend the GOodyear store at Acacia Ridge to everyone.

SKM_87
22nd June 2006, 12:00 AM
ok then so does any body have a turbo astra with anything to say about them??? insurance for myself for it is no big deal as i live on the other side of the country to my parents s i would only drive it wen i go back on holidays and even then i only have 2 take my lil sister's car.

blueraven
22nd June 2006, 03:37 PM
i have one, its great :)

for the money its one of the best cars out there performance/trim wise. economy has been about the same as my old calibra 2.0l, which to me means it would be close to the same as the N/A sri(unless you flog it around all day...which your parents wont.)

i am modding the hell out of mine, but as a stock car, its got to be the best small car for the money...and i cant think of too many other hatches that could match it even if price is out the window. (golf gti etc..but even then it close-ish :D)

the new versions of all the hot hatches are very closely matched though...