PDA

View Full Version : VXR vs XR5 - Which is easier to drive?

MatsHolden
14th June 2006, 02:14 PM
Sorry if everyone's already seen this...
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/140441/5thgear_focus_vs_vauxhall_vxr/

Ok well it's not exactly what the XR5 is out here as it is the 3 doors, but still a good indication and interesting watch.

A test drive with a difference to see which is easier to drive...

VXR comes out on top.

Wraith
15th June 2006, 01:15 PM
Man, the VXR appeal just keeps getting bigger and bigger........

I think it's gonna be a sure hit here in Oz.

My final decision to get one will depend on how well it stacks up against the upcomming Mazda 3 MPS turbo and whether or not the Mazda will be available in sedan as I don't like the hatch much.

Amazer
15th June 2006, 09:58 PM
My pick would be the XR5 after watching Top Gear

Torque Steer seems an issue with the VXR and no where near as much with the Focus

Rob

aussie_in_london
16th June 2006, 08:09 AM
My pick would be the XR5 after watching Top Gear

Torque Steer seems an issue with the VXR and no where near as much with the Focus

Rob

drive one first before commenting on the VXR & its torque steer, you will find not a great deal of difference in that department between the 2 except for the ST/XR5 is actually a boring drive in comparison
for the record the VXR tested by Top Gear was actually the first pre production model in the UK sitting on an SRi chassie and suspension set up nad different ecu map to the production models

Jass
16th June 2006, 09:52 AM
Currently the wait for the new Focus is 9 monhts, the VXR isnt even out yet, but can you imagen the wait for those too? I would love to take both of this cars out for a spin before i make up my mind. I like the look of the astra exterior bettern then the focus, but the focus seems to have a better finish inside.

Really up in the air on all this. Also the Turbo on the VXR is bigger, plus it has the nice bits like forged pistons right??, which i dont think the focus has. Would be nice to get an LSD on the astra thought :(

I guess the good thing is that most parts that fit on the SRI will be able to be swaped out on the VXR.

aussie_in_london
16th June 2006, 06:25 PM
build quality on the interior is actually nicer on the VXR when i compared the both, the centre gauges are very aftermarket stuck on looking and the seats, would only go the leather upgrade, the material recaros look like 80's lycra lol
between the 2 really in quality (plastics) they are much the same for the price you are paying

aussie_in_london
16th June 2006, 06:35 PM
yes the VXR pistons are high yield forged items with the skirts Teflon coated plus the block has been equipped with oil spray jets which cools the pistons by spraying oil at the underside of the piston.

dug74
16th June 2006, 08:46 PM
Well the XR5 has a huge delay...some will arrive in Oct and then March..

I have placed a deposit today on a XR5.

I got it for $40000 d/away and that includes Recaro leather seats, reverse sensor system and premium paint <Electric Orange>.

Due to large interest...i should get it in October...

If i have to wait till March shipment...i will be getting either the VXR should their not be a waiting list like the ford...<i hope holden learn from this> becoz VW had the same problem with the Golf GTi..it was a 6 month wait.

Will keep you posted..

MatsHolden
16th June 2006, 08:50 PM
Can pretty much gaurantee there will be a similar wait for the VXR, also the SRi Turbo may have a fair wait too as they are only bringing in small numbers to begin with rather than over committing.

Oz
17th June 2006, 04:39 PM
I believe the Astra VXR & the Focus XR5 will be compared on the Car Show this coming Saturday 24th June. Time, not sure, but it is usually in the middle of the day. Check your TV guides. Ch 9 also plays the show late in the evening on Wednesdays around midnight. So Wed the 21st will actually be the first time to see it. ;)

Red AH SRI T
17th June 2006, 05:52 PM
Went for a drive in the XR5 was pretty impressed, haven't driven the SRI or VXR yet, we get a SRi in about 2 weeks and are trying to get a preview of the VXR

SSS_Hoon
17th June 2006, 08:16 PM
yes the VXR pistons are high yield forged items with the skirts Teflon coated plus the block has been equipped with oil spray jets which cools the pistons by spraying oil at the underside of the piston.

with all that and they still opt for a crappy low comp rate of 8.5 or is it 8.8 now?

oil squirters have been around for a long time now.

but i have too say from what i have read about the engine it seems to be a strong unit and very capable of high outputs of power if they can get the cooling under control.

still yet too see a XR5 on the road though they sound mean from what i heard on the net and sound clips and stuff.

SSS_Hoon