PDA

View Full Version : Moderators

Aus-SRi
30th April 2004, 04:11 PM
Just curious what everyone things of the job the Moderators are doing and any ideas on how to improve out status, e.g are we being too leanient or are we nazi like :)

OPL-20T
30th April 2004, 04:23 PM
i think that if anyone has a complaint about any member the moderators should all email eachothere and maybe a 3 warning system could be in place.
and with each warning say for the
1st warning 1 week kicked off
2nd warning 2weeks kicked off
3rd warning kicked off for good. :?:

Aus-SRi
30th April 2004, 04:38 PM
Sounds like a very good idea, we will definately take that on board, so far we been good and noone has complained about anyone else, but if the matter should arise, all users should PM one of the Moderators to deal with the matter further

Anonymous
30th April 2004, 04:48 PM
I voted NO.
Sorry :oops: But Theres still Double Posts.
Example: Posts in Corsa/Astra then in For Sale/Wanted.
And Dead Topics Getting Posts so Opel Dollars can Be Earned.
A Steel Cap Boot is Needed in the Name of KID_SRi :roll:

Nem
30th April 2004, 11:03 PM
Who??? Moderators??? Where??? :)

dug74
30th April 2004, 11:58 PM
well i voted on my secret ballot paper.. :wink:

OPL-20T
1st May 2004, 09:02 AM
yeah well that thing about the opel $$$ i personally got no idea what they are for or how to use them.
but i fully support KID_SRi as for ppl posting topics all over the place. maybe if we had less options there wont be as much topics posted in the wrong area...

also if anyone was say to get a warning by the Moderators then it shold be like a SYMBOL next to their name when ever they leave a reply on any topics as well. that way we members are aware of the ppl that have meen warned for something they have done wrong on this forum.

frankie9fingers
1st May 2004, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't mind dishing out some yellow cards.

Degen-Astra
1st May 2004, 12:18 PM
Maybe pop a 1 month limit on topics being open from their last post? Maybe...after that they get locked but can be viewed.

DrDevil
1st May 2004, 04:50 PM
Maybe pop a 1 month limit on topics being open from their last post? Maybe...after that they get locked but can be viewed.
i don't see the problem in reviving old posts, there might be more information on the subject or an update.

maybe moderators should be wary of double posts in more than one forum and people who make topics for the sake of it.

for example: maybe we should introduce a huge combined topic for all the "Are you bored at work - here are some games/ interesting or funny webpages" threads. Or better still, make the "Off Topic" forum not count towards your post count/opel dollars.

Anonymous
1st May 2004, 04:58 PM
i don't see the problem in reviving old posts, there might be more information on the subject or an update.

maybe moderators should be wary of double posts in more than one forum and people who make topics for the sake of it.

for example: maybe we should introduce a huge combined topic for all the "Are you bored at work - here are some games/ interesting or funny webpages" threads. Or better still, make the "Off Topic" forum not count towards your post count/opel dollars.

Ya Make a Good Point.
But what I meant by revival of Posts was. A Question is Asked, It gets answers By 10 Members than a 2 weeks later it gets another Answer(From someone who already answered) that has nothing to do with the Topic in Question.

I've noticed 3 Threads that are Virtually the same in the Section,
That are Basically Extenstions of a Topic already in Discussion.

dug74
2nd May 2004, 12:45 AM
yeah i agree

Anonymous
2nd May 2004, 02:20 AM
i think that if anyone has a complaint about any member the moderators should all email eachothere and maybe a 3 warning system could be in place.
and with each warning say for the
1st warning 1 week kicked off
2nd warning 2weeks kicked off
3rd warning kicked off for good. :?:so wheres there 4th annd 5th

Anonymous
3rd May 2004, 11:13 AM
SO do you guys suggest we should harsher on you all. I understand with the double posting, i'll make sure when i'm on none of that crap happens, but pretty much what we're trying to do is create an environment where we can freely interact and have some fun with it.
Of course there are certain limits with the whole "acting freely" bit.
What rules do YOU, as users think should be imposed?

Turblue
3rd May 2004, 04:43 PM
Apart from the forum rules, this is the current working document on Moderation. Please remember that it is flexible and will change as required.

This current migration has seen a rapid rise in posts and users, and we (admins and mods) are slowing getting used to looking after OpelAus. I have posted this here for you all to see, so as to point out that we have (loosely) developed a policy. It's not just myself deciding I don't like what Gumby has said, so I'll delete him. Basically, we're getting there. If you have a really good idea, please PM the staff.

None of this is about censorship. It is about being fair, open and honest.

Bottom line is: if you post smart, you won't need us.

BTW, this has been agreed to by staff. This document came ito play only a few weeks ago..

#############################################

Rules of Moderation.

1) No abusive, and offensive language will be tolerated at all.

2) Material of a sexual nature will not be tolerated.

3) Discrimination based on any form will not be tolerated.

4) Material regarding products and services.
a. Anyone commenting on a business, product or service needs to include first hand experience or correct and true facts.
b. Speculation will not be allowed.
c. Slagging businesses, products or services will not be allowed. However a first hand experience (minus abuse) is acceptable

5) Quoting from various sources.
a. Source should be made aware, and permission sought.
b. State source of quote.
c. State on the post that material included is a quote and where it is sourced from.

6) Any forum, thread or post that is moderated needs to include reason for moderation and by which moderator.

7) Decisions are final.

8. Post whoring will not be tolerated.
a. Warning should be issued.

9) Ridiculous and mindless (etc) posts will be deleted as determined by Moderators.

It is important that every moderator is involved. If you need to moderate a post, make the required changes, and leave your nickname so we (admins etc) know who has done what. You should also briefly explain why you moderated.

If you need to lock a thread, do so and move it into the administration forum. This way we can keep a record of locked threads, and it also removes them from public view. As a Moderator, you have access to this forum.

Degen-Astra
3rd May 2004, 06:10 PM
In a forum i help to moderate we send a PM to the administrator and also to the person whose post we have deleted. Letting them know that the sort of post or content of post is inappropriate. This way they know exactly what way they have stepped out of line as well.

My04SRi
3rd May 2004, 10:33 PM
yeah that sounds like a good idea i mean.. wat if they juc diddnt notice it and have offended a few ppl... they should be told so in the future it wont occur again..

OPL-20T
4th May 2004, 08:31 PM
there wont be a 4th and 5th warning. just like the work place if u get 3 warning letter ur out of a job, why not have the same system on the opelaust forum i ask??????? also maybe have the number or warnings next to the NICK NAME of the persons warned as well.... any new rules in place should be respected by the uses of this forum, and if a new rule is introduced there must be a reason for it and we should all agree with it like it or not.... also if a presonal msg is sent and its not appropriate can that be taken into account and have that person warned as well or though its not posted for all to see.?

Turblue
4th May 2004, 08:46 PM
OPL-20T...

Whether the msg is private or not, you can still take offence. We need to know.

Banning is a really hard thing to do. It requires very careful tracking. But it can be done. Trouble with a forum like this is that the banned member can just create another nickname and log back in.

Oh, ip addresses are actually logged. So we know where you are..!!!

Like I said, careful tracking.......

Dee
10th May 2004, 02:44 PM
you all seem to be doing a good job as far as i can see

wd :)

Anonymous
11th May 2004, 04:26 PM
dont think they should delete a entire thread because of a individuals post i had a message from iraq thread and it got deleted

Rhino
11th May 2004, 05:12 PM
[Rant on]

The biggest thing that needs to be moderated strictly is post whorring. It is the equivalent of forum spamming. I get a lot of useful information from forums and hopefully have a few things of value to say also. But I hate going to a thread that is full of banter between two ppl. Keep your private jokes private. If you wanna get stuck into eachother, PM, email, or chat.

I can't honestly believe that ppl would whore to get more Opel $ for crying out loud. And if that is the case, get rid of the whole battle feature.

That said, this forum is a LOT better than others that I frequent.

But please ppl, before you press that 'Submit' button, just ask yourself if you are really adding value to the forum.

[Rant off]

Additionally, and I know this has been brought up before... avatars and signatures. They do take up a lot of room. I think they should be even smaller. Avatars are for recognition, they're not to show off your car in detail. That's why we have threads to introduce yourself and your ride.

Appologies if I seem to be completely flying off the handle but it is just my opinion that very few forums focus on ease of use... and let ppl get away with too much.

/Ryan considers at the risk of ridicule pressing 'Submit' button...

Turblue
11th May 2004, 05:20 PM
Adding my bit....

Rhino. Quite correct.

Post whoring actually doesn't seem to be occuring on this migration. And we don't seem to have anyone that is causing any grief. So, I'd have to say from my angle, all is ok.

As for the RPG etc, I changed settings so whoring does not need to occur in order to get $$. Anyway, if you are skint, PM me. I can 'donate'. Again, no need to post whore.

Again I say: Think smart, post smart. :D

PRC33Y
11th May 2004, 10:16 PM
OPL-20T...

Oh, ip addresses are actually logged. So we know where you are..!!!

Like I said, careful tracking.......

I better be good cause my IP Address is fixed :D

Seus
30th May 2004, 07:38 PM
personally, letting such things as sh*t and cr&p is a good idea
cos most people use it in their normal conversation...

Dregger
31st May 2004, 09:06 PM
some ppl get offended seus.....

The Sentinel
31st May 2004, 10:01 PM
I think the moderators/admins are doing a pretty good job as it is.

Having said that, I think the rules of the forum are a fluid thing, to be adjusted and added to as the forum martures.

dug74
1st June 2004, 10:34 PM
LOL@martures

journo
17th September 2004, 07:03 PM
I believe "swearing" in general is not really offensive, or shouldn't be, these days...

As the various forms of the Uses of the Word F...k comedy voicer suggests many swear words can be used as virtually all word types and are even in the most respected of dictionarys...

:idea: That said the C word (god how juvenile did that sound) still offends many...

just my 2 cents...

Mitch
6th October 2004, 01:08 AM
Can I change my vote to no? I think moderators should listen to forum members suggestions, only when they are good ones though. :lol:

Dregger
6th October 2004, 05:46 PM
what are you refering to Mitch in particular ?

raymond
6th October 2004, 06:10 PM
doing a good job :wink: keep it up

Anonymous
8th January 2005, 08:32 PM
I voted no cause sydney mods suck A$$ :shock: :mrgreen:

Red AH SRI T
26th May 2005, 10:33 AM
This is the first forum i have used where swearing is moderated :shock:

I still havent made up my mind as to whether i like that or not.

I'll let u know :lol:

But otherwise i think everyone is doing a good job.

BTW, what the **** is this opel $$$ shit? And the battles?
Can someone please explain?

Woops, i just swore :bang:

Bernard Siong
26th May 2005, 10:38 AM
is my warning forever?