PDA

View Full Version : Monster speed camera looms

btm
13th June 2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19454110-421,00.html

Monster speed camera looms

June 13, 2006

A SPEED camera that scans four lanes of traffic at once is under consideration for Victorian roads.

The super spy, dubbed The Daddy, has four lenses and two flashes for total road coverage.

Existing cameras typically have only one lens and leave some lanes uncovered, so some drivers escape fines.

The new device's memory can store 60,000 images and sends them by broadband link to officials, speeding up fines.

Special lights take infra-red close-ups of drivers' faces so they can't claim someone else was behind the wheel.

A fourth lens takes video footage for back-up evidence.

The Multi Camera System, made by Dutch company Gatsometer, comes mounted on a pole with giant spikes to deter vandals.

The Australian distributor, Aspect Traffic, confirmed yesterday it had submitted the machine to Victorian authorities for approval and expected to get it within months.

Aspect Traffic already supplies other speed cameras and recently won the contract to supply 21 overhead cameras for the Western Ring Road.

Managing director Stephen Gateley said he had signed a contract to supply three of the monster Multi Camera Systems to another state, and expected the rest to follow.

"A lot of cameras can't see across to the fourth lane, so speeding drivers get away with it," Mr Gateley said.

He said the new device was more democratic, as it was unfair some errant drivers got away with speeding just because of a lane choice.

The cameras are believed to cost more than $100,000 each, but collect much more revenue than conventional cameras. They can be set to either face or follow traffic.

Auto Express editor David Johns said news of the machine would send shivers down the spine of every motorist.

PaulyJ
13th June 2006, 12:56 PM
GREAT....! What more do we need...

I may aswell just not have a licence.
Guess now i'll have to wear a Johnny Howard mask while driving the car...

EL BURITO
13th June 2006, 02:19 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19454110-421,00.html

The new device's memory can store 60,000 images and sends them by broadband link to officials, speeding up fines.

Special lights take infra-red close-ups of drivers' faces so they can't claim someone else was behind the wheel.

A fourth lens takes video footage for back-up evidence.

The Multi Camera System, made by Dutch company Gatsometer, comes mounted on a pole with giant spikes to deter vandals.

The Australian distributor, Aspect Traffic, confirmed yesterday it had submitted the machine to Victorian authorities for approval and expected to get it within months.

Managing director Stephen Gateley said he had signed a contract to supply three of the monster Multi Camera Systems to another state, and expected the rest to follow.

"A lot of cameras can't see across to the fourth lane, so speeding drivers get away with it," Mr Gateley said.

He said the new device was more democratic, as it was unfair some errant drivers got away with speeding just because of a lane choice.

The cameras are believed to cost more than $100,000 each, but collect much more revenue than conventional cameras. They can be set to either face or follow traffic.

Auto Express editor David Johns said news of the machine would send shivers down the spine of every motorist.

fookin hell wat else doo they wanna do this is all about revenue rassing cos 1 camera no mater wat lane its targeting will slow all drivers down.

Its isnt democratic its just about them being ****s making money form a demand that no moterist want s filled

U wanna reduce deaths on the road keep bloody P platers in cars with little endgins

And put the bloody cameras were ppl died and the danerger is high not on an empy open streach that is only labbled as 80 or waterver cos of a single intersection that is rarly ever used

CJB
13th June 2006, 02:25 PM
I saw a few flash on the M1 on Saturday night :)

Well I guess the other side to the argument is it shouldnt bother anyone if they are abiding by the law :p

EL BURITO
13th June 2006, 02:52 PM
I saw a few flash on the M1 on Saturday night :)

Well I guess the other side to the argument is it shouldnt bother anyone if they are abiding by the law :p
It bothers me that they could spend the 100k on fixing a section od road that has the pertential to case more danger than wat is contributed by speed , eg extending the free way in Perth so it was useful to those that live in the far outter suberbs or fixing all the pot holes in Sydney that are so offten mentioned

CJB
13th June 2006, 03:00 PM
or, use it to upgrade rural roads...

like the one that claimed the life of two teens when their car went off the bridge, which doesnt have guard rails and exploded on impact with a tree, which was also the same road just last week a woman rolled off the bridge and was trapped upside down for 5 hours!

On the other hand... speeding and inexperienced drivers is a bad mix, if this great new detection camera can make people think twice about speeding and thinking they can get away with it (because the thought crosses all our minds, whether it be hairspray on the plates, or getting in just the right position in front of another car) then its worth it.

I know we all speed, no point lying about it, but you do so at your own risk. We all know the consequences if we are caught, and we can only imagine the consequences if something went wrong whilst speeding.

tmov81
13th June 2006, 06:53 PM
they could use the $$$ to fix that canyon that crispys rim fell into :p

did u end up getting those council ho bags to pay for a new rim?

MatsHolden
13th June 2006, 07:10 PM
We all know that any extra speed cameras are not put in place to reduce the amount of speeding motorists on the road or to treduce the road toll, it's purely for the Government to make money. Doesn't matter how many cameras are put on the roads, people will still speed.

Vectracious
14th June 2006, 06:44 AM
fookin hell wat else doo they wanna do this is all about revenue rassing cos 1 camera no mater wat lane its targeting will slow all drivers down.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I especially like the giant spikes that will be installed to prevent vandals from climbing up there......

ROCCO
14th June 2006, 09:44 AM
One well placed grappling hook will fix that....i'll get right on it!

PaulyJ
14th June 2006, 12:36 PM
George, you organise the hook, i'll get the tow truck... hahaha

I agree with Laurie, people see speed camera's they slow down. Drivers dont know which lane is being targeted. This new camera is a revenue raiser x4. It will however deter people from speeding, but only in those areas. If people know there are no cameras in the area, they will speed.

ROCCO
14th June 2006, 01:42 PM
lol....pauly its really quite scarey how much thought i've put into this....ok my plan goes like this....I say we get a hold of a truck somewhere before the westagte assuming the cameras will be placed somewhere between emlb and geelong....how do we get a hold of a trcuk....well i'm sure everyone remembers how they did it in the first Fast and the furious well all I need is a black car with a sun roof...i'll shoot the front window out fo the truck jump from the car to the truck...drug the driver...take control of the truck...after gaining control i'll pull over....somewhere quite so we can hook the grappling hook up...after which we will drive to the overpass where the camera is located...at this point we will need to move fast...hook the grapple up to the camera give me the ok and i'll floor it....simple plan....now whos in.....(I hope no police are reading this....if you are its only a joke a very sick joke that I have no intention to putting into practise :-) I love you all

MatsHolden
14th June 2006, 01:48 PM
Or you could just do it 'The Castle' style. Borrow Daryl's tow truck hook it up to the gantry and away you go. Just like he did with those gates hahaha. Oh and remember to put the gantry with the cameras out the back, not in the front yard. hahahaha

tmov81
14th June 2006, 01:48 PM
could always hire these dudes to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY2DslYHRtY

imay
14th June 2006, 03:18 PM
Probably so simple that no one else has thought of it, but . . . has any one thought that the easiest way of avoiding it is to simply NOT SPEED!

Problem solved.

CJB
14th June 2006, 03:22 PM
they could use the $$$ to fix that canyon that crispys rim fell into :p

did u end up getting those council ho bags to pay for a new rim?

Nope - still waiting for a response. I think I can safely say I wont receive any compo from the Ipswich Council. As expected...

Yeah - the roads here in town are shocking, they keep sinking :eek: