PDA

View Full Version : Great drives on a public holiday afternoon...

01CDsedan
12th June 2006, 07:42 PM
I love days like this...not much to do, nice weather, sounds perfect for a quick flogging of the car through the mountains to the west of Canberra. There's an excellent road that basically runs from the southernmost part of Canberra past the Tidbinbilla deep space tracking station and back round to the central part of Canberra that is great fun, fast and flowing, with a few tighter and twistier detours along the way if you're that way inclined.

I'd begun to think of my Astra as being a bit underpowered (a sure sign that a replacement will be considered soon) but I have to say that today, it felt like it was right on the ball and I came away not wanting to replace it for another couple of years yet.

When I came back, I gave it a good wash and clean inside and out...but I think next weekend I'll have a Detailing Day and do paint cleaner, clay bar, polish, wax, plastic protection, engine bay detailing...the whole lot. (I'm obsessive about my car being clean and shiny, you see...)

Soo....anyone else do anything car related today or have a favourite driving road near their place? :)

EL BURITO
12th June 2006, 08:00 PM
i drove mine

Ginge
12th June 2006, 08:21 PM
i gave mine a well deserved wash
the rain finally stopped here so it got all shiny again

bill142
12th June 2006, 08:40 PM
Was that the road that starts at Banks and goes through Tharwa and around to the Cotter? I learnt to drive along that road in a Datto 180B which handled about as well as a bucket of sh!t

But my poor Astra has been captive in my garrage for the past 12 days. Tomorrow I will take her on a gentle run.

Amazer
12th June 2006, 10:32 PM
I took the Astra I pick it in a week or so for a bit of drive this afternoon

was a nice day for it

Rob

gemstar_007
13th June 2006, 12:06 AM
yep.. i drove mine to work and home.. then i was "forced" to take my mum to the shop and home again then drove to a friends place and home again.... :D if anyone cares?? LOL

oh plus i must add that after the weekend of rain and wind we had its looking quite errr.... black.....

btm
13th June 2006, 09:28 AM
double demerits weekend... only drove the car 'to and from' on the weekend

would be good to get out for a good cruise soon though... ;)

ROCCO
13th June 2006, 10:34 AM
I had my rally spec exahust system installed on saturday....****ing loud is all I can say hehe...but the H sounds awesome with it on...and the bonus is that i've had it set uptto run rally spec and to bolt ona muffler if I need to hhehehe....gotta love that....i've been drving none stop (almost) for the past 2 days heheh...my pocket is empty...damn fuel rpices

PaulyJ
13th June 2006, 01:10 PM
I had my rally spec exahust system installed on saturday....****ing loud is all I can say hehe...but the H sounds awesome with it on...and the bonus is that i've had it set uptto run rally spec and to bolt ona muffler if I need to hhehehe....gotta love that....i've been drving none stop (almost) for the past 2 days heheh...my pocket is empty...damn fuel rpices

Dude please please come on the next cruise!
Its on the 24th June...
PAHLEEEEZ!!!!

ROCCO
13th June 2006, 01:41 PM
LOL....is that the one to inverloch???

PaulyJ
13th June 2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah that one
So you coming?

01CDsedan
13th June 2006, 01:55 PM
Was that the road that starts at Banks and goes through Tharwa and around to the Cotter? I learnt to drive along that road in a Datto 180B which handled about as well as a bucket of sh!t

But my poor Astra has been captive in my garrage for the past 12 days. Tomorrow I will take her on a gentle run.

There's that option, or you can start at Point Hut near Gordon and meet the Tharwa-Cotter road about 10km north of Tharwa. I usually do that, I don't find the section around Tharwa to be that much fun. The fun bit is between where the Point Hut road meets that road and Cotter. The side road to Corin Forest is good too, tighter and not as quick but fun corners.

ROCCO
13th June 2006, 02:06 PM
24th of June....if I dont have any family things going (i.e. birthdays ive forgotton about - I know there are 3 around this time of the year but unsure of dates) Yeah I will defnintly come...starts at bunnings in cranbourne yeah?

PaulyJ
13th June 2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah meet at Bunnings at 11am, depart 11:30am.
Maps handed out at the meet point.