PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable Coolant Loss

DirtyHarry
10th June 2006, 02:07 AM
Hey guys,

just thought if you could tell. is there a acceptable coolant loss with the 1.8 astra's for example. reason why i ask is cause ive noticed that my coolant has dropped about 1-2cm in that coolant tank since about 1 year ago.

is that normal? doesnt look like i have any leaks or anything.

McMessy
10th June 2006, 05:21 AM
I don't think one or two cm over a year is a problem, but if you're losing it at an increasing rate, that is bad. Keep an eye out for puddles or drips. My TS 1.8 had a leaking radiator because an air conditioning sytem part behind the radiator rubbed a hole in it.

The part I'm referring to is a cylindrical alloy object about half the size of a coke can, located on the outlet hose that comes out of the bottom drivers side corner of the air conditioning condenser/radiator. It usually sits in a bracket a few cm behind the engine radiator down the bottom drivers' side, but mine had slipped out of its tin bracket and proceeded to gradually wear a hole through the radiator fins. I noticed small losses from the reservoir initially and didn't think much of it, until it left a puddle under the car and I managed to locate the source.

Because the astra radiator has plastic end caps, I couldn't get it re-cored, and had to get a new one, which set me back about $400 fitted. I might have been able to get the radiator fixed if I'd noticed it before it made a decent hole. I've zip-tied both ends of the part now so it won't cost me any more unneccesary coin wastage.
Hopefully you don't have this problem - good luck!

If you want me to take a few pictures of it for reference PM me your email or I'll post em up or something for all yo a55es

DirtyHarry
10th June 2006, 12:59 PM
yeah i just want to find out if its normal before i take it back to holden.

McMessy
10th June 2006, 05:27 PM
from above the engine bay
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/tingleberry/theproblempart1.jpg

from behind the radiator down low
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/tingleberry/thepart2.jpg

as you can see it sits very close to the radiator, and being a metal pipe, if its slightly bent towards the radiator it can have enought pressure to pop the clip open with all the vibrations and temperature changes. I had a fender-bender previously which I think might have slightly bowed my old radiator inwards too, which may have made it worse.

McMessy
10th June 2006, 05:31 PM
Regardless of if you have this problem, I'd recommend zip-tying it just in case the bracket does come loose - it could save you hundreds of dollars.