PDA

View Full Version : Astra Diesel & Sri Pricing

Red AH SRI T
18th May 2006, 05:36 PM
Astra CDTi Manual : $29990

Auto, hmm, can't remember whether its $31490 or $32490

LOL

SILLY ME!!!

Pricing still not 100% settled for SRi, however the figure $34990 was mentioned.

Manual diesel astra is going to be awesome, has a "SPORT" mode button on the dash, just like the auto, however it makes the electronic throttle react much much quicker, shortens the travel of the accelorator, and also changes the steering ratio so that it is quicker.

This also features on the SRi. The SRi also gets the CDC and IDS plus

OOOH!!! so excitinG!

01CDsedan
18th May 2006, 07:37 PM
It's going to take a lot of driving to reap the fuel economy benefit of the CDTi compared to just buing a CDX...

MatsHolden
18th May 2006, 08:22 PM
I'm looking forward to test driving the SRi Turbo and if the price is around $34, 990, will be very impressive indeed.

entice
18th May 2006, 09:02 PM
what's teh trim level equivalent of teh CDTi in a petrol form?

CD? CDX?

Red AH SRI T
18th May 2006, 09:13 PM
Well the training said that it was based on the CD with the option pack.

HOWEVER

the car has:

*16 inch alloys
*full colour coding
*Chrome stip along windows
*6 Air Bags
*Fog Lights
*Old CDXi's Steering wheel

So i would say its closer in spec to a CDX

But i does have only the Single CD MP3 stereo, however it has the full sceen display, however its not the same as the CDX's, its more just like a bigger version of the CD's with the trip computer info displayed below the time date and outside temp

EL BURITO
19th May 2006, 02:33 AM
right know we have a price a approx price on the SRI maby i can get a approx price on insurence. still bet it will be thru the roof for a 21 Y.O

btm
19th May 2006, 10:37 AM
I'm looking forward to test driving the SRi Turbo and if the price is around $34, 990, will be very impressive indeed.
$34,990 is for the NA SRi - not the turbo (i believe)

SSS_Hoon
19th May 2006, 11:07 AM
damm you can get the focus xr5 for 34990 i would go that over the sri for that price.

so that means the vxr will be low 40's

SSS_Hoon

rjastra
19th May 2006, 11:45 AM

What NA engine would it use?

$34990 suggests at least the 147kw turbo engine.
At that price it will probably have leather trim and cruise control over the Xr5

MatsHolden
19th May 2006, 11:59 AM

There isn't going to be a NA SRi. And price will be around $35000 for the turbo, the Astra G SRi Turbo was around $35000. And the Turbo will get leather trim, heated seats and all the goodies. To SSS_Hoon, expect the VXR to be around $43k.

Red AH SRI T
19th May 2006, 12:07 PM
The old SRi T was $36990

I believe the new one will be $34 990 with Leather heated seats, cruise, IDS Plus and CDC

There will not be a NA SRi in the Aussie AH Range.

Focus is $35990 pluss the leather (is it $2000 or 2500??) and you loose a seat if u get the leather, and u can't get cruise control at any price!!!

beep beep sri
19th May 2006, 03:50 PM
It's going to take a lot of driving to reap the fuel economy benefit of the CDTi compared to just buing a CDX...

think about how long diesel mottors last and you do get a fair bit more out of a tank of diesel. petrol mottors are usualy buggered by 250000-300000km where a diesel will still be runing sweet for 3 times that many km

entice
19th May 2006, 04:25 PM
dont think that i'd do that many Km's in a 3-5yr window, hence arguement is irrelevant.

How many small new car buyers hang onto the same car long enough for an engine rebuild?

Also, consider that diesel costs more than Regular unleaded (and further more than ethanol blended fuel) and the average punter would be waiting a fair while to make up the difference in purchase costs...and resale? well I think the hybrid will be all the rage by the time it comes to sell.

SSS_Hoon
19th May 2006, 05:14 PM
yeah the focus is a bit left hanging for options aint it, its 2k for the recaro leather pack.

i guy that was looking at getting the focus ended up getting the golf gti for a few k more, he drove both and said that the focus was jsut as fast as a golf gti with dsg(hehehehe) but was no where as good to drive as the golf as the focus had way too much torque steer and didnt put it down well enough, and that it was just not as well built. and i would agree if its just the zetec with a new engine in it then i wouldnt waste my time either.

43k for the vxr that seems fair just want them to hurry up and get out here i want to drive one already dammit.

SSS_Hoon

EL BURITO
19th May 2006, 06:35 PM
How many small new car buyers hang onto the same car long enough for an engine rebuild?

Also, consider that diesel costs more than Regular unleaded

well I think the hybrid will be all the rage by the time it comes to sell.

Well My dad dosnt sell cars. currently getting quotes on a rebuild of a suzuki alto

Gull have just started selling Bio Diesel over here for about 2Cents more than Unleded

I do agreee on the hybrid as when they become more affordable with more options the sales will most likly rise but at the moment things are unlikely to change but whos to say that in 10 years we wont be driving round in hydrogen powered cars

MatsHolden
19th May 2006, 06:37 PM
Mainstream hydrogen powered cars are a fair way off yet, 20 years would be more realistic.

beep beep sri
20th May 2006, 02:27 PM
not all of us have money to wast. ive had my car for 4 years and will more than likely have it in another 4 or 5 years.depending on what day you buy fuel it can be only 1 or 2cents a more for diesel than petrol. ive driven a few diesels in my time and can say the new generation of them are fantastic to drive to say the least.

entice
20th May 2006, 02:35 PM
exactly.

Not all of us have money to "waste" so paying an 8K premium to get a diesel engine, would take a lot of km's to make up in terms of increased fuel efficiency (of diesel V Petrol). Bear in mind that at present, diesel is more than 2cpl more expensive, and it takes even more km's to make up the difference. lets say I invest that 8K in something today, it'll more than buy me a new car by the time we are equal in terms of fuel/diesel savings at the average 15kKm per year

Nup, at the stated price difference, gimme my fossil fuel guzzlin car.

Prices being the same? well that's a whole different ball game

MatsHolden
20th May 2006, 02:41 PM
Yeh you won't be saving in terms of filling up the tank but won't you have to fill up less often, getting something closer to 900km per tank rather than say 600km?

MatsHolden
20th May 2006, 02:53 PM
Doesn't really worry me though, I'm not interested in diesel whilst petrol engines are still available.

entice
20th May 2006, 02:56 PM
spot on,

and that difference is a mere $350 a year

Golf Manual comfortline, 7.4L/100KM
Golf Manual Comfortline Diesel, 5.5L/100Km

price difference of 4.5cpl diesel V Unleaded
@ 135cpl unleaded, and 139.5 Diesel.

15000 Km / year
$1500 V $1150

diesel comes to $350 cheaper per year. (but it takes 23 years to make up the difference)

MatsHolden
20th May 2006, 03:01 PM
Yeh, it's really a marketing thing, sounds impressive saying you get 1000km per tank but when you look at it more closely the difference isn't that great. It makes manufacturers look like they are being environmentally friendly to an extent by producing engines that consume less fuel.

180HOA
20th May 2006, 03:04 PM
I think diesels have reached the point where they make economic sense. Take the Golfs - the diesels are about $2,500 dearer than an equivalent petrol. Say you do 20,000 km per year, and the diesel does around 3l/100km less than the petrol. That's 600 litres less fuel you have to buy in a year. At roughly $1.50 a litre (the golf nees 98RON), that's $900 less to spend on fuel. This is pretty simplisitic maths, but given that most people keep the car at least a few years, and the likelihood of fuel being close to $2 a litre within a couple of years (which increases the price advantage of diesel), I don't think anyone can lose by opting for the diesel option. Plus a lot of people prefer the characteristics of a turbo diesel to a n/a 4 cylinder.

As for hydrogen, it has several flaws which make it unviable and kinda pointless, the biggest one being that so far, we haven't worked out how to produce hydrogen using less energy than the hydrogen itself contains (in some cases the net effect can be loss in energy). Then you need to consider where the energy used to produce the hydrogen comes from. In Australia, most of our electricity is produced by burning coal. So while the car itself may have no emissions, all you've actually achieved is to create a bigger problem elsewhere.

entice
20th May 2006, 03:05 PM
don't get me wrong, diesel's are great. But not if we have to pay a premium for them. all things being equal, or 1-2K more for diesel, and I would have bought one too.

but at the premium aussies are asked to pay for a diesel, I'd rather buy a petrol powered car today (if i were in the market), and invest the rest so that I can buy an alternative powered car when the time comes.

180HOA
20th May 2006, 03:11 PM
The difference is usually only a couple of grand - not usuall more than $3k - where did this figure if an $8,000 premium come in?

MatsHolden
20th May 2006, 03:15 PM
The pricing of the new Astra Diesel is around $8k more than the petrol powered Astra.

Red AH SRI T
20th May 2006, 03:16 PM
Diesel is all about driveability, and Torque, and lots of it.

1.8 astra engine, 90kW, 165 Nm
1.9 TDi, 110 kW, 320 Nm in Manual or Auto 88kW 280Nm

I know which i would have

Red AH SRI T
20th May 2006, 03:17 PM
AH6.5 CDX = 24990
AH6.5 CDTi = 29990

Thats 5 thousand.

180HOA
20th May 2006, 03:19 PM
The pricing of the new Astra Diesel is around $8k more than the petrol powered Astra.

Than a CD, yes, but the spec isn't the same. More importantly, though - the diesel has some modern gearboxes, unlike the petrol versions. I'd be prepared to pay an extra couple of grand alone for a good six speed auto over the old 4 speed clunker the 1.8's are using.

MatsHolden
20th May 2006, 03:23 PM
Yeh fair point about the transmission, but on a 4 cylinder I wouldn't opt for an auto anyway.

entice
20th May 2006, 03:32 PM
i imagine that part of the point was economy.
The base CD is 8K less than the Base Diesel.

different specs?
16" alloys Pfft most wouldnt loose any sleep (at that spec level)
extra airbags..mm okay.

different transmission? pffft.. majority of buyers wouldnt care

base spec cars, base spec mentality

again, I'm all for he characteristics of the diesel, and if it was closer to 2K, then yes, I'd tick that box. but at even a 5K difference (instead of 8), it's a far stretch for the average aussie to justify.

I'd still be buying shares in Uranium companies and not diesel producing companies.

EL BURITO
20th May 2006, 04:30 PM
And if we got the CDTI in a sport hatch i would be in there wanting one cos of that extra power but we ant geting it :(

Red AH SRI T
20th May 2006, 04:52 PM
base CD doesn't have cruise, alloys or rear power windows, all of which the CDTi has

CDTi also has leather sports steering wheel, full exterior colour coding, chrome strip below windows, front fog lights, extra airbags, IDS PLUS, ESP PLUS, silver interior highlights

So in terms of spec, much better than a CD

and over a CDX the tranny, the ESP and the IDS is worth it i think

beep beep sri
20th May 2006, 05:05 PM
if you buy a diesel you will more than likely never buy another car. my boss purchased a diesel $4 or $5k more than the petrol version but he has done 75000km in a year and he's not planing on geting rid of it in a hurry. atleast black ah has some idea from the sounds of it. think about depreciation on cars its massive. then every 4 or 5 years you buy a new car and do it all over again. stupid if you ask me unless there's a good reason to be doing this (there are some ill admit that). buy a car for $30000 then sell it after 4 years for maybe $19000 or $20000. not very smart is it.

Red AH SRI T
20th May 2006, 05:09 PM
and the diesel will hold its value better than the petrol i have been told by our valuers.

entice
20th May 2006, 05:50 PM
if you buy a diesel you will more than likely never buy another car. my boss purchased a diesel $4 or $5k more than the petrol version but he has done 75000km in a year and he's not planing on geting rid of it in a hurry. atleast black ah has some idea from the sounds of it. think about depreciation on cars its massive. then every 4 or 5 years you buy a new car and do it all over again. stupid if you ask me unless there's a good reason to be doing this (there are some ill admit that). buy a car for $30000 then sell it after 4 years for maybe $19000 or $20000. not very smart is it.

interesting thought

so u think it smarter to spend 1K on tyres, 100 on a new battery, 1K on a clutch, over 1K on pads and rotors and god knows what else on wiper blades, battery for keys, gearbox oil, diff oil , cam belts, and etc etc, and still have a car worth 19K?

I think not.
ever wondered why companies turn cars over every 2-5years? Cos it makes fiscal sense to. When stuff starts to decline, it's best to turn it over and start new...with waranty again. I guess you chalk that up as teh cost of independance, comfort, safety etc etc...

but, lets face it, most of us change cars over not cos we have to, but because we want to...the cost/expense of maintaining an older car is usually merely a justification

EL BURITO
20th May 2006, 06:59 PM
i will be buying a new car within the next 24 months because mine will be 3+ and i am willing to pay for that warranty. my dads buys cars and drives them into the ground or they get nicked.

beep beep sri
20th May 2006, 07:15 PM
most of your depreciation happens in the first couple of years. a car kept for 4 years will most likely have to have a major service. my girlfriends car has done 170000km and only just had its first clutch. if your paying 1k for brakes your geting riped BIGTIME. remote batterys are replaces every 12months. gearbox and diff oil should'nt have to be changed unless you have an limited slip diff. tyres well ive done 80000km on mine and they will easily do 100000km. yes ocasionaly you will have to fork out money for what i will call minor problems but that sure beats wasting a minnimum $12000 every 3 or 4 years. as i said if you read my last post bosses change cars for certain reasons 1 of which is tax reasons there are a variety of reasons but this is a major reason. i for 1 do'nt have money to throw around buying crap like cars id rather put it towards a house. now would'nt that be money well spent

MatsHolden
20th May 2006, 07:26 PM
Fair enough if you don't want to spend the dollars on a new car every 4 years or so, but some of us don't mind spending the money on something we enjoy. I know a car is not an investment but I am willing to sacrifice some $$ for something I enjoy. Some people's interests are a little bit more expensive than others but hey it's up to the individual ay.:)

Shaun
20th May 2006, 07:29 PM
I think the price of the SRi T AH has been dropped so the VXR can sit in the market with is comp. Im thinking the VXR will be around the 40k -43k mark.

But that a Bargin for a New SRi T if its correct.

entice
21st May 2006, 06:32 AM
most of your depreciation happens in the first couple of years. a car kept for 4 years will most likely have to have a major service. my girlfriends car has done 170000km and only just had its first clutch. if your paying 1k for brakes your geting riped BIGTIME. remote batterys are replaces every 12months. gearbox and diff oil should'nt have to be changed unless you have an limited slip diff. tyres well ive done 80000km on mine and they will easily do 100000km. yes ocasionaly you will have to fork out money for what i will call minor problems but that sure beats wasting a minnimum $12000 every 3 or 4 years. as i said if you read my last post bosses change cars for certain reasons 1 of which is tax reasons there are a variety of reasons but this is a major reason. i for 1 do'nt have money to throw around buying crap like cars id rather put it towards a house. now would'nt that be money well spent

Interesting comments, but what really disappoints me is when people think that things are done for tax reasons.
I too runa business and all my vehicles are tax deductible. That does not mean that i dont pay for them, that merely means that ultimately, my tax (money i HAVE TO SPEND) pays for half of teh car. I still have to fork out the other half. Even if they were repairs, i would only end up paying for half of them. So perhaps think of businesses as having to pay only for half of the car and rthe repairs, and my point becomes even clearer. The differences in costs is less for a business c.f. someone who cannot tax deduct teh vehicle.
An example may help. Your boss, of whome you report travels 75000Km per annum, uses diesel. In his case, it make financial sense to use diesel due to the Km';s travelled. However, he still has to pay for half of his fuel bill out of his own pocket. You will find that most businesses change their vehicles over as it is cheaper to do so rather than maintain an older one. And when we say cheaper, dont firget the differences are halved c.f. the average punter.
But I digress
I sold my last car as it was coming up to 3 years. The clutch was on it's way out, it needed tyres, and brakes, and teh next service was going to cost $1K (additional to tyres and brakes). Brakes meaning rotors and pads. last time I looked, decent rotors and pads werent cheap. (STI 03 - OEM pads close to $100 a set, aftermarket rotors over $600 a set...now add labour). Had I of replaced these items, my car wouldnt have been worth any more than had I not of. Ask any salesperson, or even better, and insurance company to see if "maintenance" increases teh market value of your car. It doesnt, it's sad, it's unfair, and it sux...but that's the reality.

Hopwever, you are correct, in that the fastest that a car depreciates is early on in its life. First year, and then when the new model is released etc etc. I have no qualms of that. I for one however, am too skeptical to consider purchasing a 6-12 month old car. Why would someone sell such a new car? waht's wrong with it? am I buying someone else's problem? Dealer's (the safest way to buy as a consumer) will try and flog a 6-12mth old car for much teh same price as a new one. Buying privately has it's own headaches. Perhaps I'm being too pompous and perhaps I'm fortunate enough that I can afford to buy new (and also being in a position where new costs me less than 2nd hand). add on top of that the Mastercard rebate on NEW purchases, and it makes even more sense to turn teh car over more frequently. Saving money in that sense, gives me the opportunity to extend my investment portfolio. And in My case, it's far cheaper to turn cars over whilst still in warranty, and before they need any money spent on them. Remember, maintenance doesnt add to tehy value of the car.

Sometimes, we're blinded by what's immediately in front of us and we can see further into teh distance. I know I wont win you over with this discussion, Beep Beep, but I think that in time to come, when finances become more stable and boring, and perhaps more predictable, you will most likely see my points in this discussion. Most importantly, a car is a liabilty, not an asset. It will always be costing you money to own...just how much it costs you is up to each of us.

DirtyHarry
21st May 2006, 10:16 AM
right on entice i agree with you. lets have a beer.

Red AH SRI T
21st May 2006, 11:06 AM
people rarely buy a new car because they have to.

Car's are a fashion item, people like to have the latest fashions and be seen to be "keeping up with the jones'"

Red AH SRI T
24th May 2006, 10:15 AM
ITS CONFIRMED!!

SRi $34,990

MatsHolden
24th May 2006, 10:53 AM
That is fantastic!

EL BURITO
25th May 2006, 03:02 AM
any one wanna estimate the insurence then for a 21 yo

Kimme
25th May 2006, 09:18 AM
If you went with justcars i'd estimate about $1100. :)

MatsHolden
25th May 2006, 10:23 AM
Considering i'm paying 1400 with Just Car for the Barina I'm thinking something closer to $2200.

Red AH SRI T
4th June 2006, 10:50 AM
we got the Diesel in on Friday

WHAT A CAR!!!!

I love my CDX to bits, but it has no balls, this thing fixes all that, unfuc.kingbelievable!!

EL BURITO
4th June 2006, 01:22 PM
we got the Diesel in on Friday

WHAT A CAR!!!!

I love my CDX to bits, but it has no balls, this thing fixes all that, unfuc.kingbelievable!!
its still got 5 doors tho

Red AH SRI T
4th June 2006, 03:36 PM
eh, three doors, 5 doors, makes no difference to me :p

EL BURITO
5th June 2006, 09:33 PM
wat dose the kit that the SRI is getting look like is it just the HBD lip kit and the option 18's or is it somthing a little different?

MatsHolden
5th June 2006, 10:16 PM
This is the SRi. As shown at the Melbourne International Motorshow. Saw it then had a sit in it and immediately put it on my future shopping list.

http://www.southgate.com.au/ah/AHAstraSRiTurbo.jpg

EL BURITO
6th June 2006, 12:07 AM
yerrr its on mine only thing that makes me think is at the bottom of the spec sheet on the wind screen it said *over seas model shown*

Red AH SRI T
6th June 2006, 10:05 AM
This is the SRi. As shown at the Melbourne International Motorshow. Saw it then had a sit in it and immediately put it on my future shopping list.

http://www.southgate.com.au/ah/AHAstraSRiTurbo.jpg

this is not how the AUS model looks!!!

The latest pics of have seen, in the Holden Dealer Kit, recieved today, Has a Chrome Vauxhall Grille, and a different front bumper bar, similar to the VXR

EL BURITO
6th June 2006, 03:46 PM

The latest pics of have seen, in the Holden Dealer Kit, recieved today, Has a Chrome Vauxhall Grille, and a different front bumper bar, similar to the VXR
do u have a pic blacky

MatsHolden
6th June 2006, 08:47 PM

No not the Vauxhall V grille! lol, much prefer the one in the above photo. Different front bumper though i'd be up for.

Red AH SRI T
6th June 2006, 09:58 PM
do u have a pic blacky

i do, but there is currently an embargo in place, so i can't releasse pics or exact details until June 12th

EL BURITO
6th June 2006, 09:59 PM
after market irmy grill all the way then matt

EL BURITO
6th June 2006, 10:00 PM
i do, but there is currently an embargo in place, so i can't releasse pics or exact details until June 12th
dam that sucks i wanna see. "wines like a little girly"

Red AH SRI T
6th June 2006, 10:21 PM
well as soon as i can release it i will :D

MatsHolden
6th June 2006, 10:48 PM
Only 6 days until 'real' photos! :D

EL BURITO
6th June 2006, 10:51 PM
Only 6 days until 'real' photos! :D
and counting

sparks
20th June 2006, 05:27 PM
went for a thrash i mean a drive in a 1.9 6 speed astra diesel last night let me tell ya she has got some torque....

aussie_in_london
20th June 2006, 11:47 PM
went for a thrash i mean a drive in a 1.9 6 speed astra diesel last night let me tell ya she has got some torque....

wait until a remap is released for it, it puts it up around 200 bhp and over 300 lb/ft of torque over here