PDA

View Full Version : HID Xenons for Astra AH

dustbug
12th May 2006, 01:45 PM
Hello all,

Thinking about getting some HID Xenons for my Astra AH next week, either monday or thursday. Just want to know everyones thoughts on this. Also does anyone suggest what brand or where I can get them from.

The other biggest problem is what colour temperature do I get. This is what the colours and temps are.

6,000K Pure White (Slight Blue Tint) 2800lm
8,000K Blue 2400lm
10,000K Deep Blue 2200lm
12,000K Blue-Purple 2100lm

Standard Halogen Yellow 1000lm

What should i get???? I'm thinking 10,000K!!!

EL BURITO
12th May 2006, 01:59 PM
I would go

8,000K Blue 2400lm
10,000K Deep Blue 2200lm

were are u getting them from??

R3N
12th May 2006, 02:14 PM
I'd go 5000k or 6000k.

But I would recommend against putting them on unless you have projector headlights, reflector headlights don't disperse the beam properly and causes alot of glare.

I put a set on my G last night but took em off as they were too bright.

If you can put up with being highbeamed all the time and glaring other road users then by all means go ahead. The HID kits are not cheap though and I am not sure of the legality of the issue.

I would definitely get projectors before HIDs.

Thats what I think

dustbug
12th May 2006, 02:55 PM
I am getting them from a place in the city for around $500 installed for any colour temperature. Made in China though with 1 year warrenty.

Ones made in Korea are about $650. 1 year warrenty.

Ones made in Japan are about $850. 2 year warrenty.

I don't mind putting up with the glare and pissing off other road users, the roads are there to share!!! Mwahahaha na i'll install them and see, i'm sure they'll be fine. Legalities, well if cops say something i'll say i got them as an option through Holden, they wouldn't know if i did or not. Majority of brands now offer HID Xenons as an option.

Any other opinions on where to get them from, brands or price?

MatsHolden
12th May 2006, 03:00 PM
I'd definately go 6000k in colour temperature. Also mate you have to have auto levelling headlights in order to legally fit HID Xenon lighting, which the Astra doesn't have. So just something to keep in mind, becuase you don't want to spend all that money and then be given a defect notice to have them removed. Stay away from cheapo brands as they will last only a very short time. Philips produce a good HID Xenon system. But remember it all boils down to the auto levelling headlights, whether you want to risk it or not.

Cheers
Mat
:)

dustbug
12th May 2006, 03:11 PM
I'd definately go 6000k in colour temperature. Also mate you have to have auto levelling headlights in order to legally fit HID Xenon lighting, which the Astra doesn't have. So just something to keep in mind, becuase you don't want to spend all that money and then be given a defect notice to have them removed. Stay away from cheapo brands as they will last only a very short time. Philips produce a good HID Xenon system. But remember it all boils down to the auto levelling headlights, whether you want to risk it or not.

Cheers
Mat
:)

The AH Astra's comes with auto leveling headlights. (By that you mean you turn a dial and you can move it up and down???)

MatsHolden
12th May 2006, 03:15 PM
No, thats not auto-levelling headlights, all Opels have that dial to adjust the level of the headlight beam, auto levelling headlights constantly change the level of beam according to the bumps the vehicle goes over. It uses sensors to operate.

bill142
12th May 2006, 04:09 PM
Isn't there a Canbus issue with installing Xenons?

Poogene2001
12th May 2006, 04:21 PM
I don't mind putting up with the glare and pissing off other road users, the roads are there to share!!!

I'm happy you live in NSW.
We dont need any more tossers in Victoria who are willing to temporarily blind other drivers for the sake of a "cool" colour for their headlamps.
Is there something wrong with your standard headlamps? Mine work just fine... they light up obstacles on the road and allow other road users to know I'm coming. Ticks all the boxes as far as I can see. Maybe its the "eye brows" that you've stuck onto your headlights that are causing the problem?

MatsHolden
12th May 2006, 04:26 PM
It's not the colour of the light that is blinding, it's the intensity of the Xenons. But BMW, Mercedes etc sell their cars with Xenons either as standard or an option, and they are blinding even though they are legal, so owners can't do much about it.

Poogene2001
12th May 2006, 04:36 PM
My concern is more the attitude of "dustbug" saying he couldn't care less what other drivers think. Plus the lack of projector auto-leveling headlamps in an Astra would create more of a dazzle effect than the BMW and Mercedes that were mentioned which DO come with both of those things standard. But like I said, its OK because he is more than 1000km away from me!

MatsHolden
12th May 2006, 04:37 PM
My concern is more the attitude of "dustbug" saying he couldn't care less what other drivers think. Plus the lack of projector auto-leveling headlamps in an Astra would create more of a dazzle effect than the BMW and Mercedes that were mentioned which DO come with both of those things standard. But like I said, its OK because he is more than 1000km away from me!

Ahh sorry I see where you're coming from now.

auzvectra
12th May 2006, 06:38 PM
wayne was researching some kit a while ago, they were closer to $3-400, and were focus corrected for reflector headlights.

Lucky_Astra06
12th May 2006, 06:59 PM
how interesting i picked my car up from holden last night and asked about getting new headlights. im getting bright blue globes from motoquipe in Hornsby but to install them u gotta remove a air intake hose box thingie???? and also slide the battery out on the other side... high beam lights u gotta get from a compartment in the wheel arches!!! how crap is dat, anywho holdens gonna charge me $1/min to change the globes, wheres dis place in da city dustbug???

dustbug
13th May 2006, 09:41 AM

There seems to be a difference of opinion. I dont understand how an ubiquitous item throughout the auto-industry can be such a contentious subject. This certainly wasnt my intention.

The Xenons were developed by the car companies and thus i find it implausible that these can be branded as egocentric additions. The oversensitivity of certain users of this forum is of deep concern and suggests that some serious indepth counselling is required.

dustbug
13th May 2006, 09:51 AM
how interesting i picked my car up from holden last night and asked about getting new headlights. im getting bright blue globes from motoquipe in Hornsby but to install them u gotta remove a air intake hose box thingie???? and also slide the battery out on the other side... high beam lights u gotta get from a compartment in the wheel arches!!! how crap is dat, anywho holdens gonna charge me $1/min to change the globes, wheres dis place in da city dustbug???

This place in the city installs HID Xenon systems for around $100. If you would like new globes and have them installed for nothing, you can go to AutoJoy in Parramatta. I have fitted two sets of globes by myself and it is easily done.

www.autojoy.com.au

Their parking lights sell for approx. $30 while their low beams sell for approx. $50.

sammykkwok
13th May 2006, 10:15 AM
I have attempted to install low beam aftermarket HID xenon to the AH Astra. You may find that you will encounter EXTREME difficulty to get it to work with this particular car. It is not as simple as "plug and Play"!! At the end, I gave up because there were way too much mucking around with it. You may get these issues when trying to install them:

1. CANBUS will cut power supply once it detected a low power requirement(different power requirement between halogen and HID) You may see the HID to come on for less than a second and then switch off. (This is what you will get with the plug and play scenario with and without a new harness)

2. If you attempt to setup an electronic system, and a brand new harness to fool the CANBUS into thinking there is a halogen bulb, so that it doesn't cut power to the HID, you will need to buy a matching resistor as the H7 bulb. The electronic diagram system can be found on a Vectra forum (someone from the UK got it to work with the new Vectra), I tried that, but it wouldn't work due to many reasons. You will find that you need to do a lot of trail and error to get the right resistance. If you attempt to head down this way, good luck.

Mate, the AH is a pain in the ass to use HID, good luck with your quest. If you happen to get it to work, I'm really really interested to work, coz my H7 8000K HID kit is still lying next to me !!

Sammy

beep beep sri
13th May 2006, 10:27 AM
I'm happy you live in NSW.
We dont need any more tossers in Victoria who are willing to temporarily blind other drivers for the sake of a "cool" colour for their headlamps.
Is there something wrong with your standard headlamps? Mine work just fine... they light up obstacles on the road and allow other road users to know I'm coming. Ticks all the boxes as far as I can see. Maybe its the "eye brows" that you've stuck onto your headlights that are causing the problem?

im with you on this one. to many w#nkers without the PROPER setup add's to road problems. if you MUST do it do it propperly so you do'nt blind other drivers. get the self leveling setup and the proper reflective setup. then fine do it. but from the sounds of it you do'nt care if they work propery you just want the w#nk factor and could'nt care about other drivers. now thats a real worry! also from what ive read a proper setup costs well over $1000 so no doubt this setup you will be buying wont last long anyway. lets hope for the other mottorists sake

MatsHolden
13th May 2006, 11:28 AM
ive read a proper setup costs well over $1000 so no doubt this setup you will be buying wont last long anyway.

That is true...

R3N
13th May 2006, 03:06 PM
There seems to be a difference of opinion. I dont understand how an ubiquitous item throughout the auto-industry can be such a contentious subject. This certainly wasnt my intention.

The Xenons were developed by the car companies and thus i find it implausible that these can be branded as egocentric additions. The oversensitivity of certain users of this forum is of deep concern and suggests that some serious indepth counselling is required.

The fact is that you're quite happy having these on even though you dazzle other road users. This itself is a selfish act.

I have a set sitting right here, they were on the car for less than an hour, took em off until I can get myself proper projector headlights that focus the beams properly.

If you have problems with the stock setup, get better HALOGEN bulbs, eg. 100w bulbs or something from Philips or Osram with better light output. I have Osram Silverstars in mine and is a better improvement over standard.

As said before, if you want to go ahead with it then its up to you, have you driven on the road at night with people with dazzling headlights (even ones that aren't aimed properly on standard bulbs) behind you? They are a pain and I would take a different route just to avoid their blinding lights. Its dangerous as well.

If you want to do it, do it right. Even if you don't have the self-adjusting headlights its not that bad, if you got proper projector headlights. If you do have a chance to see how badly the beam is dispersed, you might change your mind.

rjastra
13th May 2006, 05:30 PM
You don't need projector lights for HID. It's just that HID capsules don't have the same light point characteristics as a normal h4/7 bulb.

HID capsules will only work correctly in a reflector or projector housing specifically designed for HID.

The most important fact is that aftermarket HID kits are ILLEGAL. Surely this must have some impact on anyones decision to do it. What if you are involved in an accident? You insurance company could deem you car unroadworthy and refuse any claims.

Does everyone realise that even those blue tinged H7/H4 globes are illegal. They are not to be used on the road (states it on the pack!!). Defectable.

Best to stay with Philips Vision Plus/ Narva +50s or Osram Silverstar. All will produce an increase in light and are totally legal.

I find it amusing that people fit these HID kits, blue globes to be different/noticed. Yet all other drivers think is "wanker". :)

1OPL2C
13th May 2006, 07:19 PM
This place in the city installs HID Xenon systems for around $100. If you would like new globes and have them installed for nothing, you can go to AutoJoy in Parramatta. I have fitted two sets of globes by myself and it is easily done.

www.autojoy.com.au

Their parking lights sell for approx. $30 while their low beams sell for approx. $50.

i have those lights in my car, cost me $20 from a factory in kingsgrove.
really white during the day(not like some which are yellow during the day), and blue at night.

sammykkwok
13th May 2006, 11:48 PM
You don't need projector lights for HID. It's just that HID capsules don't have the same light point characteristics as a normal h4/7 bulb.

The most important fact is that aftermarket HID kits are ILLEGAL. Surely this must have some impact on anyones decision to do it. What if you are involved in an accident? You insurance company could deem you car unroadworthy and refuse any claims.

Does everyone realise that even those blue tinged H7/H4 globes are illegal. They are not to be used on the road (states it on the pack!!). Defectable.

Best to stay with Philips Vision Plus/ Narva +50s or Osram Silverstar. All will produce an increase in light and are totally legal.

I find it amusing that people fit these HID kits, blue globes to be different/noticed. Yet all other drivers think is "wanker". :)

I believe installing aftermarket HID on the AH headlight unit will NOT dazzle other road user.. The Astra G would because there is no glare shield in the headlight design, installing an HID kit on the G would just be like having HIGH BEAM on at all time. However, the Astra H has a glare reduction shield in front of the light bulb and there should have no problem to use HID kit with this car.

Saying using aftermarket HID is illegal is not really true. As for queensland, the guideline controlling modification on car headlight that is of concerning the installation of HID can be referred to "All About Modification To Motor Vehicles" from Queensland Transport. As long as it is a white coloured light (Not too blue), it should be legal. So as long as we stick to 6000K or below HID kit for the Astra H, it should be legal. Given the fact that the Astra H headlight design will not dazzle other road user and that the colour of the bulb is not blue, I don't see there are any reason to say that it is illegal to use HID on the AH Astra.

Sammy

MatsHolden
14th May 2006, 12:10 AM
I'll say it again, you need to have auto levelling headlights in order to LEGALLY fit HID Xenon lighting, and the Astra doesn't have that feature.

ROCCO
14th May 2006, 12:21 AM

You'lll find its the other way around...high beem through the engine bay standard through the arches....trust me i've done it :-)....I'm using the phillips diamond vision..bright blue light muhahahahaha...

sammykkwok
14th May 2006, 08:28 AM
I'll say it again, you need to have auto levelling headlights in order to LEGALLY fit HID Xenon lighting, and the Astra doesn't have that feature.

Mate, where you found that information? I know the america and the UK has really strick guideline on HID kit.. Not that I notice with Australia regulations.

Sammy

CAL.16V
14th May 2006, 10:28 PM
i got 6000k .. wouldnt recomend anyother colour as this is the brightest... the prices you say are heaps expensive... i got mine for $200, lucky win on ebay but they are not much more... installl is really easy...

MatsHolden
14th May 2006, 10:31 PM
Mate, where you found that information? I know the america and the UK has really strick guideline on HID kit.. Not that I notice with Australia regulations.

Sammy

Don't remember if it was ADR or VicRoads regs I was reading, one of them, just realised he's in NSW so if it was VicRoads I read it you may be sweet.

stevedee3
14th May 2006, 11:44 PM
I tried looking for info on Victorian registration requirements a while ago but couldn't find much. I suspect the information might be in the ADRs, but it seems you need to pay to get them. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows what's required...

simonali
15th May 2006, 07:13 AM
A few bits of info.

Hella make the projector style headlamps for the Astra, so these are easily bought via your local Hella stockist. Part numbers are L/H: 1EL 008 700-311 R/H: 1EL 008 700-321

The bulb check feature can be defeated easily enough using the resistors already mentioned, 2 off 5 pin changeover relays and some capacitors to smooth the supply. What happens is, when the headlights are on, the bulb check system will cut the power momentarily, measure the resistance of the filament in the halogen bulb and then reinstate the power. This all happens very quickly; so quickly that the bulb hardly even starts to dim and the driver doesn't even notice it. Swap the bulbs for a HID ballast and lamp and the ballast doesn't take kindly to the intermittent power blips and shuts down to protect it's circuitry. If you're friendly with your dealer they can probably disable the bulb check feature.

Dunno 'bout Aus, but in the UK, you don't have to have auto levelling headlamps when using aftermarket kits, only factory fitted HIDs need it.

Fitting these kits to your modern Opel is not easy! Some info on the pitfalls here (http://www.forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=2129), but to a Vectra.

entice
15th May 2006, 08:40 AM
ADR regs are what are in play here regarding legality.

i recall once having this same discussion with a "bloke" on another forum who was bringing them in from overseas and flogging them off to club members for a profit, statign that they were legal. Fact is, they are not a legal accessory.

After a few heated hours of discussion it was nice that an engineer from a major motoring co. that was responsible for illumination stepped in and clarified the heated debate for us all, stipulating ADR rules and regs.

I dont have access to it any more, but it went something along the lines of:
must have washer systemn installed to clean lens from dirt/grime that will scatter the light, and lens of headlamp must be appropriate type...something like have a "PC" emblem stamped/embossed on it.

anyways.... 8000K?

who in their right mind can see better with blue light rather than white?

IMHO, I'd be staying under the 5000K range...

but then again, i'd be saving a packet by using normal globes of a decent quality... Like PIAA or CAATZ, or Raybrig.. 4150K and loving it!

jerrypufflewell
26th May 2006, 01:47 PM
I have all the ADRs at home if that would help convince people what is and isn't legal :P
Pretty sure HIDs are illegal unless they have auto-levelling and washers... And as far as dazzling other road users I have found that euro luxury cars aren't all that bad, but others (obviously aftermarket) are shocking.
Seriously anyone considering putting HIDs on their car aftermarket should consider poor me on the highway in front of one of the new Hilux's with aftermarket HIDs. They do come with projectors as far as I can tell but I still got some serious burn from those just through my side mirrors :(

stevedee3
26th May 2006, 02:50 PM
I have all the ADRs at home if that would help convince people what is and isn't legal :Pjerrypufflewell, are the requirements for OEM and aftermarket headlamps the same? I think, for example, that in the UK, headlamp washers are not required for aftermarket HID lamps.

Are adaptive headlights ("swiveling lights") legal?

Ta.

NUTTTR
26th May 2006, 03:18 PM
I've also checked with ADR's previously about this and you MUST have self levelling AND washers. Another regulation is that the fitment of "non-standard" lights "MUST NOT dazzle oncoming drivers any more than the standard OEM headlights"...
SO, don't fit them. That simple. Spend the money on something else other than dazzling oncoming drivers. So - you drive around - you blind someone, they have an accident and run head on into you... Did you know insurance will be void because your car was illegally modified? It's regulations like this that make modding in australia harder than o/s... but for good reason!
I don't care if you don't care about other drives, that's your own opinion, but you should care about them. The road IS there to share.

stevedee3
27th May 2006, 04:37 PM
I've also checked with ADR's previously about this and you MUST have self levelling AND washers. Another regulation is that the fitment of "non-standard" lights "MUST NOT dazzle oncoming drivers any more than the standard OEM headlights"...OK, so washers are mandatory. Are Australian requirements met by headlamps conforming to European standards? i.e. If I was to retrofit HID headlamps (self-levelling, with washers) that are available as a factory option in Europe, is that legal?

Insurance and the feasability of actually doing this are other questions that, of course, need to be answered...

jerrypufflewell
28th May 2006, 12:11 AM
Yes. Lights that comply with UNECE 98/00 (or later) i.e E marked HID kits, also by definition comply with ADR 77/00 (the aussie design rule for gas discharge light sources)- So long as they are installed correctly ;)

Providing the kit does comply I don't see that insurance should be a worry, but the feasibility of getting a legal kit is probably quite low. I'd say they are fairly expensive...

1OPL2C
1st June 2006, 01:51 PM
do the bulbs in the kits ever blow?

if they do, where do you buy the replacement bulbs from, or can you just put any H7 in??

MatsHolden
1st June 2006, 06:27 PM
THe globes will eventually go but Xenon globes last a lot longer than halogen globes, you most likely won't have to replace them for the time you've got the car. If you do need to replace them places like Autobarn will be able to get them for you. You can't just use ordinary H7 halogen globes obviously.