PDA

View Full Version : Prohibitve shipping costs keeping my car un-sexy.

Poogene2001
10th May 2006, 10:43 PM
I want an Irmscher front bar for my AH Astra but theres no way to get it shipped to Australia!! :(
Id happily hand over the AUD$725 for the bumper, and the $400 for fitting and painting, but the online quotes from couriers and shippers are crazy. One place quoted $3300 to send it out! 4 times the cost of the item? I dont think so. Anyone know any alternative to sexify my Astra?
Heres what i'm talking about:
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/6209/irmscher2jq.jpg

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1193/niceview7vh.jpg

Gildo
10th May 2006, 10:47 PM
would be cheaper to fly there for a day and pick it up

Ginge
10th May 2006, 10:50 PM
I'm about to but something through to a company in Athens. I'll ask for u. Nice bar.

PaulyJ
10th May 2006, 11:02 PM
cal16v may be able to help you
speak with him

R3N
11th May 2006, 01:26 AM
try asking about other shipping options... for example sea freight... that'll take a while but is mUCH MUCH cheaper

mixmelb
11th May 2006, 01:27 AM
Irmscher stuff is generally expensive, been there done that!
I bought Irmscher stuff directly from them in Germany, get them to quote you with delivery price.

EL BURITO
11th May 2006, 03:51 AM
the irmy airdams are very nice. wat countrys were u getting quotes from??

Poogene2001
12th May 2006, 04:32 PM
The cheapest place to get Irmscher Accessories is in Germany where they are made. To deal with anyone who speaks english, though, they direct you to their UK branch, which charges substantially more for the products (extra Taxes i think). So it seems that the germans dont want to deal directly with an international buyer and are unwilling to even tell me the exact dimensions and weight of the bumber. I'm left somewhere between a rock and a hard place with no point of contact and crazy transportation quotes.
I'd be happy to have it shipped by sea, or donkey, or dolphin or what ever gets it here, but have no idea where to look. Generally you need to deal with an agent to buy cargo space on sea frieghters. But where to find such an agent is still a mystery. Someone said to direct my inquiry to customs... but I'm not sure what information they could offer!! So, i'm left feeling a bit like this :confused: and sometimes this :mad: .

tmov81
12th May 2006, 05:01 PM
always ask them to exclude the VAT from the price... otherwise they will just leave it in there... its about 15% IIRC that we dont have to pay.

Poogene2001
12th May 2006, 05:31 PM
Lots of helpful PM's so thank you to all those who have some experience with such matters. Any help is always appreciated.
Thanks again!

mr corsa
12th May 2006, 05:54 PM
the irmy airdams are very nice. wat countrys were u getting quotes from??

they are aint they

tmov81
12th May 2006, 06:06 PM
also if you wanna get some money back on it, there are people who can take moulds and recast it if you dont mind there being a couple of other astras with the same bar out there...

RiGGs
19th May 2006, 08:37 AM
These are the figures for a boxed airdam which may help you in finding a shipping solution ...

Weight = 20KG
L = 177cm
W = 59cm
D = 73cm

We will look at this side of the water to see what there is ... but it will be expensive of course, it would be nice to solve this problem with the bigger parts if we can.

JasonGilholme
21st May 2006, 07:48 PM
what about TCCA motorsports?? They can ship reiger stuff, so why shouldn't they be able to ship irmscher?

mykk
21st May 2006, 10:21 PM
why dont u show the pic to a bodykit shop and tell them to make it ? they will quote you alot less.

and to put it in percpective i wanted to send over my rear wing to qld from nsw, it was costing 200$. so how much further germany ? :P

Poogene2001
21st May 2006, 11:43 PM
why dont u show the pic to a bodykit shop and tell them to make it ? they will quote you alot less.

and to put it in percpective i wanted to send over my rear wing to qld from nsw, it was costing 200$. so how much further germany ? :P

Well thats obviously by air, which aint cheap.
The quote for this front bar by air is over $3000, which is also not cheap.
Sea freight quote was around $600 plus cutoms taxes.
Which is much better, but still pricey when u add the cost of the item and painting and fitting makes it over $1500. I dont quite have that sort of cash to splash around on a bumper bar!

oneightoo
22nd May 2006, 10:43 AM
it makes it look like it's a snow plough..

Poogene2001
22nd May 2006, 10:59 AM
it makes it look like it's a snow plough..

Very constructive comment... I'm glad you took the time to make a post.
I would be jealous too if someone was buying a bumper that was worth more than my entire car. Its only human.

oneightoo
22nd May 2006, 11:01 AM
are you saying i'm jealous your buying a bumper? haha good one..

just making a comment regarding the bar, deal with it.. it's a forum remember..

Poogene2001
22nd May 2006, 11:07 AM
I'm looking for forum members help on how to get one to Australia.
Do you think your posts were relevant?
If i were looking for opinions on how the bar looks then the post would have been called "What do you think of this Irmscher bar?" But it wasnt, so once more thanks for the helpful and insightful comments! :rolleyes:

oneightoo
22nd May 2006, 11:12 AM
whether you like it or not you will get posts that you dont ask for when you start a thread.. i'm sure you'd have a differnet attitude if i shared your enthusiasm for the bar.. too bad i dont hey..

mr corsa
22nd May 2006, 08:16 PM
there ways around the taxes as i got my bar from germany

R3N
22nd May 2006, 09:41 PM
one word.... GIFT :D

ultim8DTM5
22nd May 2006, 10:46 PM
Send it by sea, theres no other cost-effective alternative.

Poogene2001
22nd May 2006, 11:37 PM
Sea freight is the go for sure.
40 days from Germany to Oz for around 600. But it doesnt make it a cheap little adventure. What i need to work out is how to claim back the V.A.T (similar to G.s.t) in germany before it comes to Oz. I think its 12.5% in germany which is $80 or so which can go towards painting the damn thing. Anyone with cousins in the sea freight business? :p

PaulyJ
23rd May 2006, 08:42 AM
Have you thought about getting some more interest from other Astra H owners wanting parts?
If you get a few people buying parts (not necessarily your front bar), you should get a discount on the purchase price, and then shipping costs can also be shared, again making it a little cheaper.

My 2c inc GST (or VAT... whichever)

tmov81
23rd May 2006, 10:55 AM
they cannot charge you VAT if they are shipping it to Australia...

Poogene2001
23rd May 2006, 10:57 AM
if its the same as every other Euro country, then they charge VAT on all purchases, its upto you at the time you are leaving the country to claim that VAT back (like at the air port, or border).
I dont know what the G.O is if they are exporting it direct to you though?!

nadg63
23rd May 2006, 01:40 PM
if its the same as every other Euro country, then they charge VAT on all purchases, its upto you at the time you are leaving the country to claim that VAT back (like at the air port, or border).
I dont know what the G.O is if they are exporting it direct to you though?!

No!

If they are exporting out of the country, for instance the UK as I have imorted stuff from there, they do/should NOT charge the VAT - not meant to anyway! (if they are, they're ripping you off .......................... !!??)

PaulyJ
23rd May 2006, 01:58 PM
No!

If they are exporting out of the country, for instance the UK as I have imorted stuff from there, they do/should NOT charge the VAT - not meant to anyway! (if they are, they're ripping you off .......................... !!??)

This is true. You're not a citizen of that country, so you have no need in paying their taxes, and also the product it not staying in the country, its being shipped out. Double check this and get 12.5% off...

nadg63
23rd May 2006, 02:10 PM
This is true. You're not a citizen of that country, so you have no need in paying their taxes, and also the product it not staying in the country, its being shipped out. Double check this and get 12.5% off...

If you are getting it from the UK then VAT is around the 17.5% mark! (well was when I lived there and on the items I've had sent over!?)

PaulyJ
23rd May 2006, 02:12 PM
Holy crap thats a lot!

Poogene2001
23rd May 2006, 02:18 PM
I'll make sure to mention that when purchasing the item(s).
Thanks for the heads up!

tmov81
23rd May 2006, 06:33 PM
yeah courtenay were gonna charge me the 17.5% on top of the flywheel until i asked them not to... so it ended up costing the same delivered to me as it would to buy with VAT in the uk :)

ultim8DTM5
23rd May 2006, 09:13 PM
Go through a broker; DHL is the best in my experience out of Germany (see: hundreds of kilograms, by air no less!)

Don't use the online quote, instead of being lazy ring them up.