PDA

View Full Version : Display Unit for the Radio

NED
26th April 2004, 08:22 PM
Hey guys Im not sure if this is a technical thing that the radio people have to figure out or if it is in the wiring of the radio but here's the problem:

Where the radio station number is usually displayed, only the channel number ie if station 1234 was on channel 2, only the number 2 is showing.

Any ideas because I have no clue!

Degen-Astra
26th April 2004, 08:25 PM
Does it show other items in that area such as when the radio is off does it show the date or when a cd is playing does it show the track number?

NED
26th April 2004, 08:27 PM
Right.
Weeelll for one this is for my olod mans car so bear with me im doing a running thing.
Apparently he hasn't used the CD player yet (and to think I had to upgrade to a Kenwood just to start) but yes the date does show when its off

Degen-Astra
26th April 2004, 08:41 PM
Hrrrmmm....well it then seems the globes and display work...i think it may have something to do with the connection from the stereo to the MFD (Multi-Function Display) - If its still under warranty get holden to have a look if your not to confident of pulling out the unit and making sure all items are connected.

NED
26th April 2004, 08:44 PM
yeah hrrmm indeed. Yeah thought about the whole wiring thing but I have teh wiring expertise of a baboon. Thanks!

FreeRide
30th April 2004, 09:30 AM
You lost me there... Do you have the original Blaupunkt cd playa or a Kenwood as you mentioned???

Case 1)
If it is original (Blau) then hit up your local dealer (of holdens that is) or if you are feeling useful, unscrew the 4 grub screws on the outside of the unit and slide some wire in each hole (metal cooking skewers work well) and pull the unit out- it may require a bit of gentle persuasion to lever it out. Once the unit is out you will see all the connector plugs in the back of the housing. if they are in place/ look OK then you may need to go to someone who knows what up. The guys @ cronulla car sound did the install on my Blaupunkt Los Angeles mp3 player and they had to reprogram some stuff to get the steering wheel contols to work. Would recommend them highly.

case 2)
If you are indeed using an aftermarket unit then forget about the MFD. It wont have any input from the CD player . And for that matter, the replacement unit will have its own display so it wont make any difference, you will just have a blank bit on the MFD.

Aus-SRi
30th April 2004, 10:03 AM
DO you know what they did to reprogam it to make the steering wheel controls work? coz i have the same stereo as u the Blau Los Angeles, and as usual the MFD doesnt work when strero is on and neither do the steering controls. all i know is that i can buy an adaptor for it to make both work and thats aboout $100aus to buy, but yeh any help would be great

Jass
30th April 2004, 12:15 PM
I thought it was just a matter of sticking the steering wheel controls to the back of the unit?

Damn

M40COO
30th April 2004, 01:11 PM
You can get an adaptor for blaupunkt stereos so that it works with the steering controls and the display.

Website link to help Clickety Click (http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/vauxhall.asp)

rjastra
30th April 2004, 02:34 PM
M40COO

You sig file is wrong.

It should read:

One day all Astras will be red

No apostrophe required :lol:

NED
30th April 2004, 07:45 PM
Nah the problem one is the Blau..unkt or however you spell it, the Kenwood is mine and working a charm. Thanks for the advice, the car is on its way to the dealer. How about this one though: any way to get rid of that little "INSP" message that is meant to be changed on service? Or is that also a trip to the dealer/mechanic?

Nem
30th April 2004, 10:24 PM
You can get an adaptor for blaupunkt stereos so that it works with the steering controls and the display.

Website link to help Clickety Click (http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/vauxhall.asp)

Or here (http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Headunitfittingkits/vauxhall.htm) for different brands of head unit.

Cheers
Ben

FreeRide
4th May 2004, 05:23 PM
Bingo!
I thought it would have been a plug and play sort of deal but apparently not. I was without wheel controls for 2 weeks when i first got the stezza. The part you need is basically just a lead with a small box full of dip switches (itty bitty switches) that you switch to the right position for what you want them to do. It is compatible with a whole crap load of different cars (mainly euros) so you can take it with you if you buy a new car.
As mentioned it costs 2 golden drinking vouchers. Definately worth it... :D