PDA

View Full Version : Opel's are built tough

bill142
6th May 2006, 03:51 PM
So this afternoon I was driving along and all of a sudden the fools ahead of me decieded to stop for no apparent reason. This forced me to brake so hard that It activated my ABS. It also caused a bit of a chain reaction behind me as the forrester travelling behind me hit me rather hard. As I got out about to go mental that my new Astra H had its rear end distroyed to my surprised it was completley intact. Not a ding, scratch or anything. I spent five or so minute going over very very carefully looking for any signs of damage and couldn't find anything. The only thing I could find was a small amount, very unnoticeble, of blue paint. I checked underneath the car and everything appeared to be intact. I'm pretty pissed about it all but very thank fully that no damage was done to my car or any of the others (the car that hit me got hit as well)

MatsHolden
6th May 2006, 04:04 PM
Good to hear there was no serious damage, bumper must've absorbed the impact and then just popped back out. One thing though, check the bumper mounts, as it doesn't take much to either break or dislodge these.

beep beep sri
6th May 2006, 04:27 PM
matty is rite. also the foam inside your bumper can be broken big$$$ if the foam gets busted. theres always some sort of damage just that people like you and me do'nt pick up on it. my girlfriends car got tap'd in the rear nothing to look at but when a pannel shop looked at it the mounts and foam where damaged. the guy who tapd her car was like "no there's no damage im not giving you my name" all that crap when we contacted him with the quote he was not happy let me tell you.

MatsHolden
6th May 2006, 04:33 PM
Yeh beep beep, it's amazing how such a seemingly insignificant part can be so expensive. You do have to pay very close attention with any sort of impact; I hit a pot hole (more like a mine shaft!) last year and i stopped, expecting to see the tyre deflated and front hanging off, but I got out and there was nothing that seemed to be wrong on the surface. I think also when something like this happens you kinda go into denial saying, she'll be right nothing will be stuffed. But at a closer look i realised the wheel had been pushed back into the gaurd due to a bent control arm and broken strut. So yeh make sure you check EVERYTHING.

Red AH SRI T
6th May 2006, 04:39 PM
bad luck

but u would be stupid if u didn't get it checked out

lets hope it doesn't cost too much!!!