PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Europe and Japan...

01CDsedan
2nd May 2006, 12:02 PM
Hi guys,
Just got back in from a trip to Europe and Japan so I thought I'd pass on some thoughts about the Opel scene over there:

1. Opel is surprisingly popular in Japan - I saw a few Corsas (badged Opel Vita) and Astras there, particularly the Astra wagon from the F and G series.

2. In Europe, the Astra H seems to be selling well, particularly the wagon version in Italy. The Meriva (imagine a Corsa C with a higher roof and Vectra C front end) and new Zafira are also hot sellers by the looks of things, as well as a version of the Suzuki Wagon R called the Opel Agila. I did see a few Vectras and Signums, mostly in the UK and Ireland, but there are not many in Italy, France, or Switzerland.

3. The facelifted Vectra looks even uglier in the metal than in pictures, and is very possibly worse than the first series Vectra C.

blackSRi
2nd May 2006, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I was in Japan from March to April (4 weeks) - saw many Astra estates (12 or so), not many Astra sedans (2). A few older Opels too on Sundays.

PaulyJ
2nd May 2006, 02:30 PM
Welcome back!
Did you but yourself any parts while you were there?

Shaun
2nd May 2006, 05:51 PM
Contiki tour ?

01CDsedan
2nd May 2006, 07:08 PM
Nah, no parts - no real opportunity to get my hands on any and there wasn't anything that I particularly wanted. Sadly, my uncle who I stayed with is a car dealer but not Opel - he does VW, Seat and Citroen.

Not a contiki tour - all off our own bat. I have relos in Italy so we stayed with them, went around Europe using Italy as a base, and then did a three day stopover in Tokyo on the way home.

Shaun
2nd May 2006, 07:17 PM
Nah, no parts - no real opportunity to get my hands on any and there wasn't anything that I particularly wanted. Sadly, my uncle who I stayed with is a car dealer but not Opel - he does VW, Seat and Citroen.

Not a contiki tour - all off our own bat. I have relos in Italy so we stayed with them, went around Europe using Italy as a base, and then did a three day stopover in Tokyo on the way home.
Im about 28 days away from flying out for my contiki tour. Any tips or place to see while im over there?

Fungusfee
2nd May 2006, 08:28 PM
LOL. seems everyone's due for a holiday! I've got a 2 month placement in Canada at in september and will be doing Europe and China for a month afterwards with a few mates. Was going to do Egypt as well but in light of recent events, we decided to give it a miss!

Look forward to checking out the Opel situation myself!

blackSRi
3rd May 2006, 04:18 PM
If you are in China, check out the alloy wheel manufacturers there - many Euro and Japanese brands are being manufactured there - prices are super cheap.

Fungusfee
3rd May 2006, 06:44 PM
I'll have to look at that. we're still trying to finalise plans so i might be a bit pressed for time and money. as it is we plan to get back to aus in the afternoon of our proposed grad dinner! def something to think about though. oh how i admire them shiny wheels :)

rjastra
4th May 2006, 12:04 AM
Im about 28 days away from flying out for my contiki tour. Any tips or place to see while im over there?

If it was like the contiki tour I was on (in 1992!!):

1. Blokes spent most of the night getting pissed and the next day sleeping on the bus.
2. 10 guys... 30 women - i am not kidding!
3. If the women find out a bloke is sleeping around he gets a real rough deal (so keep it hush hush ;))
4. See if you can extricate yourself from all the retailers they herd you round to. Wastes so much valuable sight seeing time!
5. You will come home needing a holiday - lol

The good point is that is broadly gives you ideas/experiences and what you will want to see next time you are there (not on a tour of course).