PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Re-Launches 380.......AGAIN!!!

Red AH SRI T
28th April 2006, 11:49 AM
http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=11447&vf=7&bg=24&pp=0

There are price cuts across the board, some up to $6500, and they have re named some models

is this enough?

i don't think so

rusole21
28th April 2006, 12:03 PM
i recon its sad cos the 380 is a pretty good car and looks pretty good to. hope they dont go under

Red AH SRI T
28th April 2006, 12:08 PM
the base models look like crap

but the VRX and the GT looks good, its suprising what a few little mods can do

otherwise they just look like bloated lancers :eek:

blackSRi
28th April 2006, 12:12 PM
Just make it drink less fuel....simple

CJB
28th April 2006, 12:35 PM
I like the VR-X 380 - there is a black one in town, lowered with 18"s... *drools*

and we have a VR-X 380 cop car cruising the streets!!!!!! :eek:

I hope they stay. I'd pick them over a Falcon and Commonwhore.

oneightoo
28th April 2006, 01:00 PM
you'd take it over a commodore??

sorry but it looks crap..

and the new commo looks neat..

rjastra
28th April 2006, 01:08 PM
and the new commo looks neat..

I can bet you a new VE Commodore won't be priced at $27990. That's the current price for a 380! It's a steal at that price.

oneightoo
28th April 2006, 01:10 PM
yeah your probably right, but it sh1ts all over the 380 in looks.. i'd spend the extra for a good looking car..

EL BURITO
28th April 2006, 02:51 PM
Sorry but they are ok nice for a large car, dad has one for work while his new Avensis GLX is on order, drove it the other day and it is comfatable. but i dont know wat they are like after 5K

Nem
28th April 2006, 03:04 PM
I had a rental one. Only a base model obviously but on the speedo they're good for 210km/h and travel very well on the ground. (Good cruising speed was 190) Shat all over the standard commonwhore I had a couple of weeks previous which topped out at 185km/h but wouldnt stay in overdrive. I'd buy the GT model. I'd love it if they were AWD.
Its not designed to compete with Falcon or Commodore though, more like Camry or Vectra market. Camry has such a tight hold on that part of the market though I believe. I dont know why cause the last one I drove was a POS.

sasrit
28th April 2006, 03:18 PM
I have VZ comm work car.........POS, feels old, panels don't line up properly, transmission was smoother than VY for about 5000km, now feels just the same as VX/VY. On-board computers are inaccurate, been "fixed" 3 times and still doesn't work properly, Alloytec motor sounds shocking and has less low down torque than old motor, makes the transmission feel even worse because it is reluctant to kick down, so the motor labours.........VE can't come soon enough. We have a 380 fleet car, is much more refined, a bit boring but a better car (as it should be, much newer). Mitsi needs to be a bit more flamboyant with 380 to make people actually WANT it, rather than accept it as a good car but damn boring.....I don't know who buys all those super-boring Camrys.

EL BURITO
28th April 2006, 03:25 PM
I don't know who buys all those super-boring Camrys.

health dept. moms and Grampars, and a taxi co. in north Perth

180HOA
28th April 2006, 07:02 PM
With petrol heading for 2 bucks a litre and the new Commodore packing on another couple of hundred kilos (so i read somewhere), I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Holden get as desperate to move the VE as Mitsubishi are to move the 380.

bill142
29th April 2006, 10:45 AM
With petrol heading for 2 bucks a litre and the new Commodore packing on another couple of hundred kilos (so i read somewhere), I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Holden get as desperate to move the VE as Mitsubishi are to move the 380.

You have to remember that more commodores are exported then what are sold here. So if the VE isn't a sales success here any losses can be offset by export sales.

180HOA
29th April 2006, 11:39 AM
You have to remember that more commodores are exported then what are sold here. So if the VE isn't a sales success here any losses can be offset by export sales.

I thought they were only exporting around half the volume sold here? I'm also thinking that because the viability of Falcodores in Australia is heavily dependant on fleets and government (who only really care about the $ the things cost to own over a lease term) the writing's pretty much on the wall. As soon as fleet/govt buyers calculate it costs less to own a corolla/astra/viva/whatever than a Falcodore, there goes half the domestic sales volumes for the big cars. All the while private (domestic and export) sales are also going to be affected by rising fuel prices (we have the 3rd cheapest fuel in the world, behind the US and Canada). I imagine both these scenarios would have a pretty catastrophic impact on the viability of the Commodore.

I hate to say it, but I will be very impressed if Australia still builds cars in ten years time. I find it ironic that all the lip-service (Holden especially) paid to environmental issues and efficiency can't now be turned into a product that can salvage sales volumes. Whatever happened to that hybrid VT 'prototype' they paraded around almost ten years ago? Oh that's right, they put all their energy into the Monaro and Adventra...

CJB
29th April 2006, 12:14 PM
Well, I dont know how they expect fleet sales to keep them going...

when I was working for the EPA last year, a memo came thru Facilities/Fleet Management stating that they would no longer be getting 6 cylinders from Q Fleet. Apparently, most Government agencies in QLD have been told this, the only time a 6 or 8 Cylinder vehicle will be given out, is for special usage (eg QLD PARKS AND WILDLIFE/EPA - DNR) with LandCruisers and utes.

Otherwise, the EPA and most other depts vehicle fleet is mostly comprised of Lancers, Camry (4 Cyl) and Astra's.

So ... unless it's just the QLD way, I hope they aren't expecting too much from fleet sales/leases.

MatsHolden
29th April 2006, 07:53 PM
The 380 is a good quality car, just let down in the looks department and poor marketing. Also a little bit more grunt wouldn't hurt, particularly the GT, does it really deserve the GT tag? One main problem though is it's aesthetics, it isn't different enough to the previous Magna. Sure it is different, but at first glance, particular from the front it still says Magna. And yes at around the 28k mark now for the base, it is a steal. Once VE hits the market though it will struggle even more, and as this is the car that is to save Mitsubishi Australia, the future looks unfortunately bleak.

EL BURITO
29th April 2006, 08:32 PM
I am wundering know when the Police are going to follow on and if we are going to start seeing Corrolas, Subaru RX's, and other smaller endgine Police cars like in the UK.

DId any one see the cost cutting add in the paper today. SV6 down to 33K

MatsHolden
29th April 2006, 08:35 PM
DId any one see the cost cutting add in the paper today. SV6 down to 33K

Reason SV6 would be down to 33k or there abouts is because they are beginning to run out VZ stock as the VE will be in showrooms as of July and on sale as of August.

EL BURITO
29th April 2006, 08:36 PM
every one is cutting cost and the amout of extras in the car compared to when they ran out the last model I just think they have to many in stock pile.

EL BURITO
29th April 2006, 08:37 PM
and i know they are running them out any way cos of the new model i just think they are starting to relise they are harrder to sell

EL BURITO
29th April 2006, 08:39 PM
we have the 3rd cheapest fuel in the world, behind the US and Canada

thats for the large countrys of the wold ppl in the middlle east are still getting it for penuts

MatsHolden
29th April 2006, 08:43 PM
I am wundering know when the Police are going to follow on and if we are going to start seeing Corrolas, Subaru RX's, and other smaller endgine Police cars like in the UK.

As long as Commodore and Falcon are being made then they won't begin using 4 cylinder imports as there main police vehicles. Victoria Police, going back a few years ago now, had a few Subaru WRX's as special highway patrol vehicles but they had to get rid of them because they kept blowing the engines and turbos. lol

EL BURITO
29th April 2006, 08:45 PM
As long as Commodore and Falcon are being made then they won't begin using 4 cylinder imports as there main police vehicles. Victoria Police, going back a few years ago now, had a few Subaru WRX's as special highway patrol vehicles but they had to get rid of them because they kept blowing the engines and turbos. lol

We have them over here in a town called narragine, full of rev heads with hotted up cars. narragine is in the middle of the wheat belt

180HOA
30th April 2006, 05:10 PM
Interesting statistics I read sommewhere a few days ago:

1. Apparently the model T Ford did about 25 miles per gallon. Today the average American car only manages around 22 mpg - despite 98 years of 'advancement'.

2. If the average American car used around 3 mpg less than they do currently, the USA wouldn't need to import any oil.

Imagine that - no dependency on the middle-east - and all it would take is for Americans to get their hands off it long enough to realise they don't have a god-given right to be wasteful...

oneightoo
30th April 2006, 07:36 PM
try telling that to 280 million americans..

pred8r
30th April 2006, 09:37 PM
no dependency on the middle-east
The only reason we have that dependancy is because the companies that supply the oil from there, will stop at NOTHING to remove any threat that would substantially change our dependancy on their income.

After all the trees and animals are gone will we realise we cannot eat money
(or buy them back either, for that matter)

180HOA
1st May 2006, 06:23 PM
The only reason we have that dependancy is because the companies that supply the oil from there, will stop at NOTHING to remove any threat that would substantially change our dependancy on their income.

After all the trees and animals are gone will we realise we cannot eat money
(or buy them back either, for that matter)

To be honest, I think the middle-east would be pretty much helpless if people stopped passing the buck and blaming governments/oil companies/etc. They only respond to the economic environment provided by a large number of individual people. If those individuals change their behaviour, what can Mr Oil Company do about it?

Taking the USA example of a 3mpg increase in fuel efficiency: Rather than increasing efficiency, they could just use their cars less. Simplistically speaking, using some form of transport other than a car for every 7th trip would have a similar effect. Car pooling would help also. And there's not a thing the oil companies can do about either of those things. I cycle to work most days and it looks ridiculous to me to watch all those people (individually) taking 2 tonnes of metal to work with them. And most of them are getting fatter and unhealthier on the way - a lose/lose situation. The problem isn't that the oil companies have too much power or governments are too weak - the problem is that people are too lazy to get off their arses.

When all it would take is 25mpg to remove America's dependence on imported oil, and an Astra can do 30-40mpg without trying and a hybrid can do 45-odd around town, it all just seems crazy to me.

pred8r
1st May 2006, 10:59 PM
the laws of supply and demand

Nem
2nd May 2006, 10:33 AM
Interesting statistics I read sommewhere a few days ago:
1. Apparently the model T Ford did about 25 miles per gallon. Today the average American car only manages around 22 mpg - despite 98 years of 'advancement'.

Model T had a front-mounted, 177 in³ (2.9 L) 4 cylinder motor in a block producing 20 hp (15 kW) for a top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h).
Most modern cars will do twice that speed economically plus have aircon and other luxuries including key start. :)

entice
2nd May 2006, 11:54 AM
Nope, VicPol got rid of the GT fozzies and the wrx's due to physical size.

They were not big enough to carry 4 officers, and the seats were not wide enough to accomodate them all. mAside from that they were an import, and the Vic Gov didnt like that part at all.

MatsHolden
2nd May 2006, 05:44 PM
Nope, VicPol got rid of the GT fozzies and the wrx's due to physical size.

They were not big enough to carry 4 officers, and the seats were not wide enough to accomodate them all. mAside from that they were an import, and the Vic Gov didnt like that part at all.

Yes true, that was another reason, but they did actually blow a few of the WRX's, my mates dad blew one of them haha. Also apparently too many officers crashed them while on the job.

pred8r
2nd May 2006, 08:19 PM
IIRC they had an RX7 too, but only the one that i know of.

Miyagi
2nd May 2006, 10:46 PM
There is just too many useless different variations to the 380.. apart from the EVOs there is nothing in the Mitsu stable that even slight gets me excited... and i'm an excitable kinda guy ;)

jerrypufflewell
5th June 2006, 06:20 PM
Well ACT (federal) police has a few unmarked 380s (or at least one ;)), so they must like something about them...

MatsHolden
5th June 2006, 07:23 PM
so they must like something about them...

That they can get them cheap.
I saw an unmarked Magna cop car the other day in Vic.

jerrypufflewell
5th June 2006, 07:26 PM
lol. but at least there are a few Magnas around... I don't see very many 380s cruising the streets... It sortof defeats the purpose of having an unmarked car ;)

MatsHolden
5th June 2006, 07:27 PM
lol. I can't believe they've already released a series 2 380.

jerrypufflewell
5th June 2006, 07:29 PM
I didn't notice :P