PDA

View Full Version : Astra future in Australia

Cheetahs
25th April 2006, 05:22 PM
If holden/GM lost profit is it possible all astra and tiger series will drop out the market and all replace by korea made car? Or build in Australia? In australia where can get the vectra and astra grill and badge and wheel cap?

MatsHolden
25th April 2006, 06:38 PM
It's possible, but they wouldn't make a knee jerk decision if they lost profit in one year, considering they've only just quite recently introduced the Tigra (yes Tigra not Tiger:) ). Also with Holden yet to release the Astra Coupe SRi Turbo, turbo diesel and HSV VXR they won't be pulling the Astra for a while yet.

bill142
25th April 2006, 06:45 PM
I do believe the Viva is meant to be a cheaper alternative with the Astra being a premium product.

CJB
25th April 2006, 06:48 PM
and you can now get the Viva Equipe with more added crap :)

bill142
25th April 2006, 06:51 PM
Do you get a 23rd storage space?

MatsHolden
25th April 2006, 06:53 PM
Do you get a 23rd storage space?

haha when that's the main marketing subject, you know they havn't got much else to brag about the car.

bill142
25th April 2006, 06:54 PM
They could tell everyone its a Daewoo. Might be bad for business tho.

CJB
25th April 2006, 06:56 PM
Notice how they never mention the storage spaces on the Barina!

I hear it's because there are none! :eek:

just use the backseat as storage space... u dont need silly odd shaped pockets - I wouldn't buy a car because it had two spots for my wallet.

MatsHolden
25th April 2006, 06:58 PM
Viva's are a car marketed towards people who want a half decent car to get from A to B, not us who appreciate a good quality car and have a passion for cars and driving.

Shaun
25th April 2006, 11:38 PM
FFS people... Give the Barina and Viva a break. The Daewoo Barina is outselling the Opel Sources versions anyway.

Yes they are cheaper the the Opel Products but why do you all think Holden Went that way. The cost of a Opel Soruced Barina was hurting the market Share against its Market Segment. The Small Car market is drive by price. Most people buy them for a Second car thats cheap to run and cheap to maintain.

The cost of Maintaining an Opel Sourced Product is not cheap. Remember the people that are normally buying small cars are young Familys with a 400,000+ morgage over the head and the cost of rasing young Children.
So the Viva and New Barina fit the market. The can be traded at 3-5 years old and replaced with a New Model. Loss is small and they have go there 13k worth of use out the car.

As for Holden Not bringing the Astra anymore its possible. But they are about to release 2 new models under the Holden Banner and HSV are about to Relases the VXR. So i think that shows the commitment to the market .

The Vectra is a Nice car but way over priced for what it is when you look at its market segment. I would love nothing more to see a Vectra SRi in australia and the Vectra VXR here to under the HSV Banner. But the Price is what kills it. If the top of the line models were priced around the same as the Mazda 6 and Honda Accord Euro then it would have been viable to keep them here. when you compare 43-46k to 53k i know what i would be buying. at 53k you can get a Mazda 6 MPS Turbo and have a car with more power.

As for badges im guessing your refering to Opel or Vauxhall badges and grilles. Holden Dealers are unable to supply them as Holden Australia have a block on the part numbers. Find a Dealer in the UK or Germany that can supply them to you. i did that from a dealer in the uk and they shipped them out to me.
Point to remember conversion rate. they will be double in AUD. Failing that contact Slim Craige via PM.

MatsHolden
25th April 2006, 11:46 PM
Yes, that's what i was getting at, there are a lot more people in the market for small cars that only need something cheap to get them from A to B than people who buy them on their driving qualities. Holden won't be worried about losing the minority of people who bought the Opel sourced Barina, who bought for more than just a mode of transport. And about Holden still introducing new models in the Astra range, I mentioned that up the top of the post.:)

Red AH SRI T
26th April 2006, 07:35 AM
Astra sells to well, has a great reputaion, and makes pretty good amounts of money for Holden.

No need for them to dump it, especially with the AH6.5 update coming up, and the launch of the SRi, Diesel and VXR

180HOA
26th April 2006, 05:57 PM
I suspect the Commodore would be the only car who's long-term future Holden is anxious about... I doubt the Astra has anything to worry about.

windy
27th April 2006, 05:44 PM
hahahaha I'm getting a Viva as a Lease Car :)

Strictly a work runner which will be good on fuel etc.

CJB
27th April 2006, 07:12 PM
hahahaha I'm getting a Viva as a Lease Car :)

Strictly a work runner which will be good on fuel etc.

are u getting the Equipe? :p