PDA

View Full Version : gear box

Dave
21st April 2006, 05:02 AM
Was wondering what the prices would be for a new gear box for a 1.8 ts astra. Ive kinda broken mine in a big way and theres no hope of holden fixing it under warenty, or even geting them to look at it without paying.

Its not to to bad at the moment but i can see it geting worse, cruiseing at 80k and puting the clutch in produces a grinding sound which you can hear regardles of wether or not the clutch is in or out you can jsut hear it better with the clutch in. Some gears crunch randomly regardles of how your shifting, gear box sezes up randomly when you in 5th gear and you want to change down. Going through the first 3 gear in either order feels like jelly and if your lucky itl crunch on occasions.

For the most part its okish but i want it fixed PROPERLY or a new gear box so im not cruiseing somewhere and it falls out from under my car.

lowey22
21st April 2006, 10:18 AM
ummm, how the hell did you do that?

Dave
22nd April 2006, 01:00 AM
took out a traffic island and riped a chunk the size of a very large foot ball or medium watermellon out of the caseing. The insurance mob didnt do a very good job at fixing it. From what i got told they just orderd a new case and repacked everything :mad:

beep beep sri
22nd April 2006, 09:03 AM
do'nt take it get up the insurance company to fix it PROPERLY itll cost you an arm and leg for another gearbox. if you pay your insurance and your excess they must fix it

Dave
22nd April 2006, 02:14 PM
This was some time ago, close yo 8 months, i lost my licence and wasnt able to drive it, it wasnt as bad as this before.

beep beep sri
22nd April 2006, 02:30 PM
just jump up and down till you get somewhere. if you make enough noise they will listen. have you told your insurance company you lost your licence if so they should understand that and also there should be a warranty on something like a gearbox. as said before i very much doubt you want to be paying up for a new gearbox id expect them to be worth a pretty penny.
P.S do not give up on hassling the insurance company they WILL give in

kirssn
22nd April 2006, 03:24 PM
the gearbox in my astra was replaced approx 10K. was advised that the box was worth about 7-8k plus labour.

also had the clutch done about 500kms ago and that was 1k plus labour.

all of this has been one through holden warranty. i am very glad that i've had it all replaced under warranty as i would not like to fork out this moeny.

Dave
22nd April 2006, 05:56 PM
ahh ok, i was haveing a talk with holden around a week ago and they said they would not repair the motor or gear box under warenty any more because i have had an accident, so pretty much the msg i got was my warenty was void because i crashed my car. And i haft to now pay for all the repairs.

Petey
22nd April 2006, 10:55 PM
Keep badgering your insurance company... Most companies "guarantee" their accident repair work for the life of the vehicle / your ownership... Keep pestering them till they sort it out. Remind them its a safety issue & they have to repair/ replace the gearbox to it's original state...

Their is no time limit too, 8 months or 8 years don't matter - your safety does!!!

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO LET THEM KNOW YOUR NOT SATISFIED... They may try to stall you but keep at it.

Speak to their "complaints / customer relations" departments, let them know you'll contact an external body such as the Insurance Ombudsman till it's fixed properly... BUT BE PERSISTANT... Never give in...

Dave
23rd April 2006, 03:23 AM
ahh ok man, will give it a shot, i was talking to my nan tonight ( i still live with her) and she says it will be pretty much a dead end because of the time, but i will anoy them non the less. But in the mean time i will also get some quotes from other ppl. My cars due for a service soon.

This was the 2nd accident ive had so im guessing they didnt want to spend very much money on it to get it on the road again, it was never the best since i got it back, even when reversing it makes a horrible noise, did ever since i got it back.

This all happened about 8 months ago.

I will keep you posted

kirssn
23rd April 2006, 12:37 PM
where are you located?

Dave
23rd April 2006, 03:02 PM
Queensland, whys that?

stevedee3
23rd April 2006, 05:08 PM
Assuming that the gearbox damage was as a result of an accident where you rinsurance company have agreed to pay they claim, they should fix it properly. After all, that's why you buy insurance in the first place. Either the insurance company is ripping you off by not paying for your car to be fixed properly, or a mechanic is ripping the insurance company off - either way it's unacceptable.

Clint
23rd April 2006, 06:45 PM
i have gearbox damage due to an accident but its doubtful if the insurance will cover it. after the accident the synchro is damaged, everytime i put it into 3rd gear it grinds, unless i put it in very slowly after pausing between changing to 3rd, this happens changing up or down to 3rd. i was driving in 3rd at the time of the accident. the week before the accident dad took the car to get new tyres and commented on how nice the car is to drive, so he can second me in saying it was good before the accident.

the insurance said if it can be proved that it was due to the accident then they will cover it. they will cover all costs, taking the gearbox out/repairs/parts/labour, etc. the only way they say to prove it is to take it outand take it apart and check for any signs of quick damage, not just slow wear and tear. but then if there is no signs of that, i have to cop the cost of taking the gearbox out and taken apart. so its a risky thing to do, i might get caught with the cost, not sure.

also they wont let my dad take it out and take it apart and have someone else examine it cause he is a relative and might be biased.

so we decided to just do it ourself instead of taking the risk of getting stuck with huge bills if we get holden to take it apart. still havent got time to do it tho, hopefully get it fixed oneday, just gotta find some time