PDA

View Full Version : hello from tmov81 :)

tmov81
20th April 2006, 12:26 AM
Heya,

Its been ages since ive been on here (ive been going to opel-aus nsw site)... when i was last on here i had a blue 1993 C20XE Calibra (2.0L NA)...

I now have a 1996 C25XE Cally (2.5L NA)...

I flew to melbourne in July last year to buy it and spent about 5 weeks trying to get through RTA crap in getting it registered in NSW... but eventually by some miracle the idiots decided to get a life and graced me with the privlige of paying the most exorbitant registration fees in the country :P

Anyways, since buying it i have put on 18" chromies, M3 mirrors with indicators, euro plates, courtenay sport billet steel flywheel (5.6kg compared to OEM 15kg), new chip for ECU (claims +19 BHP, increases rev limiter by 500 RPM), EBC greenstuff pads, catback 2.25" piping + magnaflow DTM exhaust...

am currently looking at replacing the front 288mm and rear 286mm rotors with drilled/slotted ones... so yeah that will probably happen soonish :P

http://www.clubcalibra.org/files/homebush1_184.jpg
http://www.clubcalibra.org/files/wollongong_154.jpg
http://www.clubcalibra.org/files/stock2_154.jpg

I will make an effort to pop in more often :P the only person i remember from on here is frankie 9 fingers, and the only reason i remember that dude is because he used to have some weird ass avatar of him picking his nose or something :P just my random comment for the night :P

anyways will try and catch up on everything now

cheers peoples

BassyAstra
20th April 2006, 12:52 AM
if thats your genuine number plate

pretty crazy

oneightoo
20th April 2006, 08:15 AM
hey troy

how does the V6 drive compared to the 4?

lowey22
20th April 2006, 08:49 AM
welcome back. nice ride mate :cool:

hey, where the hell is frankie? havent seen him for ages...

PaulyJ
20th April 2006, 09:53 AM
Welcome back to the club!
Nice car, i love cali's.

Frank... well he's gone
he wont be coming back

tmov81
20th April 2006, 10:21 AM
hey troy

how does the V6 drive compared to the 4?

before i would say 4 accelerates better... the heavier v6 with crappier gear ratios seemed to bog down at low revs, but with the new chip which lets me rev out a little more before upshifts, and the lightened flywheel, i think it is considerably better :)

v6 suspension feels a lot spongier though, i dont know if its because the front end is heavier and they didnt upgrade the springs enough or what but an example is i have exactly the same rim/tire combination as tai (mr cali) who has a 4 and i know from being in his car and being in mine, i am about 10-15x more likely for the wheels to brush the arches...

if thats your genuine number plate

pretty crazy

hahaha nah :P i just copied the first X over the rest of the letters/numbers...

cheers for the warm welcome back guys :)

InsaneAsylum
20th April 2006, 10:27 AM
did you get the flywheel done on it's own or with other mods. i jsut wanted to know how effective it is and i hear that they're good but don't know anyone who's actually done it.

how's it effect your freeway driving and fuel economy?

tmov81
20th April 2006, 02:01 PM
did you get the flywheel done on it's own or with other mods. i jsut wanted to know how effective it is and i hear that they're good but don't know anyone who's actually done it.

how's it effect your freeway driving and fuel economy?

i knew i was going to need a new gearbox rebuild so i figured if i get it now it will save me labour costs. I also got the chip pretty soon after the flywheel... both the chip and the flywheel have made it easier to stall :P i have been too busy enjoying how much easier it revs out to get an idea of fuel economy :oops: it definately seems quicker, and its a heap easier to get the traction control light flashing now :twisted:

the chip+flywheel combo is definately worth doing imo... i think they both will make a much bigger difference over standing quarter than on a dyno... unfortunately i didnt have a standing quarter run before i got them in, but i did get it dynoed before hand and got a disgraceful 99kw (although it was pretty hot on the day, so on a cooler day i should hit the hunji)... I am trying to suss out when the next dyno day thingy is on on the opelaus nsw site, and i will be back again to see how many kw she is pumping out now...

the biggest difference i noticed with the flywheel before the chip (havent dont much driving since i got the chip), is that it holds the revs a lot better going uphills, you dont have to downshift as early, and even if u are late on downshifting, you dont die in the ass as easily... i was saying on clubcalibra.org that with the v6, the rev limiter seems to kick in earlier than you want it to, it only just seems to be powering when the rev limiter kicks in, and then on the gear change the 15kg OEM flywheel knocks 3500RPM off. With the chip (+500RPM on the limiter) and Courtenay Billet Flywheel (5.6kg), you hold the revs a lot better on the gear changes. So I dunno if my $$$ are gonna translate into anything impressive on the dyno sheet, it definately feels better :)

InsaneAsylum
20th April 2006, 02:07 PM
nice. what was the cost in AUD inc shipping?

i know mathijjsen technics and regal also do the lightweight flywheels too.

tmov81
20th April 2006, 02:09 PM
ummm i think it cost me around $700-800... i got it late last year and had it sitting around for a few months just admiring the bling :P

courtenay had it delivered in under 48hours from when the payment went through...

Big thing to remember when ordering from the UK is ask what the price is excluding VAT... because if you dont chances are they will charge it :P

tmov81
20th April 2006, 02:11 PM
yeah i saw the mathijjsen one and i think it is the same, and i think it was slightly cheaper... didnt realise till after, but yeah what can you do :P it wasnt a massive difference... maybe $100??? but at least i was dealing with people who can speak english :P

InsaneAsylum
20th April 2006, 02:39 PM
yeah there should be less than $100 difference in the cost, but then there is shipping. thanks for you tip re the VAT, will keep that in mind :)